Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    They tried it with garrisons.

And this is where the playerbase keeps going wrong...

They start complaining every time Blizzard tries to touch the waters with careful new designs (read: underdeveloped).

If the community had reacted positively to Garrisons we probably would've had more a much more elaborate housing system by now.

People never see the bigger picture, but that is also partly in fault because human nature isn't supposed to anticipate the flawed methodology of finance departments within development studios.
    Last edited by rmfAcc; 2020-09-29 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by valax View Post
    What do you meeean. Don't you guys have garrisons? Oh they suck and the only time you go there is to get into WoD dungeons? how would housing be any different.
    The game already has plenty of useless cosmetics , pets and toys in the hundreds not even mentioning mounts, they are so many nowdays it just doesn't feel special owning a new one. Maybe all you need is to play on a RP server and use one of the many many buildings already in the game, for whatever you might want to do.
    I still keep some of my alts in their garrisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Laubman View Post
    Wow doesn't need housing if they forget it exists the expansion after it was released.
    This. It needs to be a living, breathing part of the game like guild halls in Guild Wars and the dojo in Warframe. I know Blizzard has a terrible track record with making WoW actually feel alive and immersive, but if they managed to implement a quality player or guild housing system I’d be down.

All housing is, is a place for you to afk in and indulge in all the stuff you’ve acquired/purchased

I really don't get what's so great about player housing. In fact, I don't get what is the use of that. I know people on FFXIV that have better in game houses than their own real life house but I fail to see what they do in there.

Bloodsail Admiral melkesjokolade's Avatar
    I dont want housing, it doesnt fit in wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    I'd argue YOU are the vocal minority. In the games where housing is a feature it is hugely popular by the players. Adds to the whole RP in RPG. A place the hero goes to chill out, hang with friends instead of doing laps in Dalaran (Legion was the last expansion I really played) while chatting with guildies or just standing around. And if you don't like it you have the choice not to participate. Can also diversity for crafters and the economy, gold sinks which I'd argue is needed. Just because there is a game out there that focuses on that shouldn't mean every other game shouldn't include it. What a naive opinion. I could say why play WoW when Runescape already has the whole leveling and bosses thing. Put a little thought into your opinions.
    Claiming it is hugley popular among WoW players becuse it is popular in other games does not = putting more thought into your opinion. Also, every other game having housing does not mean WoW has to. WoW has proven to be far more popular than those games despite NOT having housing. The way you talk, all those games should have millions of players while WoW is circling the drain. WoW sets itself apart by not having housing. And who cares where your toon is when you are chilling out online? It makes no difference.

As I said before, it is far better to use resources on things like dungeons, raids, Torghast, Warfronts, Island Expiditions and things like that over wasting it on player housing so a vocal minority can play house. IF you want to do that, go play those other games that have it. Wow is perfectly fine without it and is massively more popular than any other MMO that has it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chubbybunny View Post
    Look what the garrisons was going to be when they announce it ... "you can have your garrison anywhere in draenor" and that changed to one spot.

If you want housing, then why not just go and play the sims
    IT changed because they realized the amount of time and resources needed to make that work was going to take their entire budget.

I hope they never do housing, it's not only fluff without purpose, but it's either instanced, that means noone outside the circle of fans of The Sims will ever see my shitty house or it is some kind of real estate, which brings a whole lot of other, questionable consequences.

All games with elaborate housing systems failed, except for FF as i read.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Unlike in FFXIV it would have to be instanced. They can just put a house in a few zones for the alliance and a few zones for the horde. Forest house, jungle house, desert house etc. Also needs different kinds of architecture and not just human and orc.

If people can all have their garrison at the same place I don't see why they need limited housing like in FF.

Quote Originally Posted by JavelinJoe View Post
    I read until I saw you suggesting that they could add things to the cash shop then stopped.

It actually boggles my mind how people think its acceptable for a game with an upfront cd key cost, plus a 15 dollar monthly sub, to then triple dip peoples pockets for even more money. Its so fucking greedy and its sad how many people accept it in ANY form. When you're paying $410 every 2 years to play a game you should be entitled to all of the content their devs produce, $410, not $41, $410 for a fucking video game and its still not enough to warrant all the content being avaliable! Fucking NUTS!
    Who made you sole arbiter how how people spend their money? People have the right to spend their money however they want and Blizzard has the right to dowhat ever they want. You are not the sole arbiter of how a game should be run. You don't like that? Don't buy anything. Nothing in the shop is required to play the game.

Also, the devs have absolutely nothing to do with what is in the cash shop. The cash shop stuff is done by a completely different group of people. So, you already are getting all the content the devs are producing in game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhrrngt View Post
    Yeah you missed the point. Claiming it taking away resources has nothing to do with housing. Its like a PVPer complaining they made a raid, or a Raider complaining mythic+ is a thing. Or someone doing dungeons complaining they made a new zone. Doesn't make any sense.
    But it does. WoD is the proof. Look at how much time and resources that took. You want to know why that expansion was so bereft of content. All the time and development went into Garrisons. Hell they had to strip Garrison down when they realized that what they wanted would be far to time consuming to make happen. The same thing would happen with housing. If they devote all their time and budget to player housing, there won't be anything left for other, far superior content. You will then be stuck with another WoD.
    Last edited by rrayy; 2020-09-29 at 12:00 PM.

Player housing has never been a big deal to me personally, though I wouldn't be necessarily opposed to its addition to WoW. I'd probably favor a Guild Hall type thing over individual player housing, though; if resources were going to be spent on a housing type project. I'd almost always prefer more/better playable content in terms of the game - another raid, dungeon, or leveling-type zone.
    "Here lies a toppled god.
    His fall was not a small one.
    We did but build his pedestal,
    A narrow and a tall one."

Quote Originally Posted by Inoculate View Post
    For the amount of money WoW brings in, you're really delusional enough to think they don't have the budget to do more? Have you played any other game? The amount of content WoW produces is horrible compared to most other gaming companies.

It's sad how well trained people are to defend corporations these days.
    THey don't. They are given a budget. It does not matter how much money the game makes. They are given a budget to ensure the game is profitable. If they were given the budget to do more, they would. I don't think you understand what it takes to develop content or how time consuming it is.

I think the most viable option would be if the capitals got a new district with a limited number of non-instanced Guild Halls.

Guilds would get points for mythic+ (based on key level), heroic/mythic raiding and ranked PvP activity. Every month based on the points they gathered the guilds would be evaluated and gain/keep/lose halls.

It would be a bragging right and would also help with recruiting new members.

It's useless I barely use it in FF14 why invest so much time in this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sunderella View Post
    I really don't get what's so great about player housing. In fact, I don't get what is the use of that. I know people on FFXIV that have better in game houses than their own real life house but I fail to see what they do in there.
    Nothing, just RP most of time I guess. It has no "power" value

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    If you had asked me years ago, I would say that guild housing would work in wow. Today? Not so much. The game aint buildt around guilds any longer and I suspect fewer and fewer uses them actively. Its more about how each player plays now, theres no need to come together for content in the game.

Not saying there aint guilds out there, but its different now. People would be very upset if housing was put in only for 1 person in your guild gets to decide how it looks.
    You'll never clean any "current" mythic raid in a pickup group, maybe only in the last few weeks of a patch... Even most guilds fail to do so. Are we even playing the same game ? You get bored very quickly if you have to rely on pug everytime

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    I guess blizzard didnt figure out yet you can make money out of housing.

And just to pult a salt on the wound:
    Not really salt though, didn't wild star die horribly?

Dreadlord
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Not really salt though, didn't wild star die horribly?
    yea, but there where alot of fun aspects of the game and housing was one of the best. imo.

Quote Originally Posted by vashe9 View Post
    It's useless I barely use it in FF14 why invest so much time in this.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing, just RP most of time I guess. It has no "power" value

- - - Updated - - -

You'll never clean any "current" mythic raid in a pickup group, maybe only in the last few weeks of a patch... Even most guilds fail to do so. Are we even playing the same game ? You get bored very quickly if you have to rely on pug everytime
    and most people dont bother with doing mythic difficulty. Its the same content, only harder. By the looks of it, most people dont bother doing it on the hardest difficulty for many reasons. Most people dont play on hardest setting in most games too.

"Current" content will in that case differ from player to player. Someone who clears content on normal or even LFR might think they have cleared "current" content while those doing HC/Mythic might think otherwise. It really doesnt matter whos right, cause the player gets to decide on his/her own.

Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    I'm just curious what kind of quality solo rp is the target for such stupid feature ? Do you imagine your lvl 999 Titan slayer character plays with barbie dolls inside that cute virtual house ?
    I don't imagine anything. I know people spend thousands of hours decorating their house and I have about zero interest in wasting my time doing so. I used player housing in FFXI and the only thing I had in it were flower pots to grow elemental ore in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    I guess blizzard didnt figure out yet you can make money out of housing.

And just to pult a salt on the wound:
    Yeah, link a dead game. Lol that will teach Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by nacixems View Post
    yea, but there where alot of fun aspects of the game and housing was one of the best. imo.
    Maybe, but also showed they had wrong priorities. If they had skipped housing stuff and worked on other more important things maybe it could still be alive... Maybe not, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Seriously; Blizzard is more than happy to rip-off good ideas, and usually refines them to be even better than the source of inspiration. But for whatever reason, the closest thing to even an *attempt* as housing was the half-assed Garrisons, which offered nearly zero customization of any kind.

The thing that makes this so crazy to me, is that this is SUCH an easy "Win" for Blizzard.

Think about it; they have over FIFTEEN YEARS of ALREADY-EXISTING ASSETS they could use. No, it's not as simple as flipping a switch, but it's a damn good start.

Just like Transmogrifaction, Housing is more than just "the feature itself", but also represents SOMETHING NEW TO DO. People would immediately begin farming for House-items.

Old dungeons and raids? Tradeskills? Archeology? All of these could be sources of house items.

And hell, they could even add more shit to the Cash Shop, provided it isn't the ONLY outlet for cool shit.

Furthermore, Housing is a HUGELY COMPELLING FEATURE FOR MANY GAMERS. No, no everybody cares about Housing. But there are enough that it's clearly a trend for virtually (literally?) every other MMO on the market to have incorporated one.

My personal advice? I'd track down every single person who worked on WildStar's Housing system and hire them on the spot. WildStar may have failed as an MMO, but its Housing system set a new, unprecedented standard for what was possible in a Housing system.

Blizzard could do whatever they want with the details. Maybe it's a solo-instance, or maybe they do "shared settlements" like FFXIV where you also see other players' houses. Maybe each character gets their own house, or maybe it's one per server or even per account. Maybe they're free, or maybe they cost a ton of gold. Maybe they're limited, maybe they're not.

Point is, it would be a truly meaningful feature to the game, and there is no real downside. At worse, "some people won't be into it". Some people aren't into PvP, either, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't support it.

Like I said, above all else, it just gives people shit to DO again. Even if you aren't great at PvP, or maybe you can't Raid often, decorating your place could be a huge motivation to keep playing and maybe branch out into content you ordinarily wouldn't have.
    Maybe because the bad experience blizzard had on wod with garrison
    Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    This race is an abomination and atrocity. This race doesn't belong in World of Warcraft at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Got ganked by a Vulpera, huh?