Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It would be crap if they tried. While wow remains a great game, the wow team seems to be extremely inefficient at producing content so I think a wow housing system would find a way to take up months or years of development and be dry/boring.

The only mmo I know of that really did housing right was Ultima Online, housing was a major part of the game for both pve and pvp and right in the dynamic game world but doing that in a 3d modern mmo would be extremely challenging.

One of the features I enjoyed most about the garrison was having a place to display my archaeology finds, in a nice big room. Legion later had that same feature much more scaled down in a room in the Dalaran archaeology shop, but it didn't feel as nice.

The way I envision Housing in WoW, it would be a place you can customize with different racial themes, and you could unlock trophies, souvenirs or other mementos to decorate the walls and some pedestals. You could also have furniture that could be made by an entirely new profession called Carpentering (which would use wood as a ressource like the WoD lumber mill). You could also have tailors make carpets or tapestries, leatherworkers make some decorative furs, engineers make gadgets and stuff, blacksmiths make decorative armors, etc... I'm sure you see the pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Third, its actually fairly easy to implement and can give a value to old content - running old content can drop decorations.
    So much fun!

And talking about immersion breaking: Hey let's kill [insert badass boss], maybe he'll drop a candlestick or a new curtain for my house!

"Adding value to the game" lol are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    So much fun!

And talking about immersion breaking: Hey let's kill [insert badass boss], maybe he'll drop a candlestick or a new curtain for my house!

How is that different from killing the Lich King to get a pet or a selfie filter?

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Seriously; Blizzard is more than happy to rip-off good ideas, and usually refines them to be even better than the source of inspiration. But for whatever reason, the closest thing to even an *attempt* as housing was the half-assed Garrisons, which offered nearly zero customization of any kind.

The thing that makes this so crazy to me, is that this is SUCH an easy "Win" for Blizzard.

Think about it; they have over FIFTEEN YEARS of ALREADY-EXISTING ASSETS they could use. No, it's not as simple as flipping a switch, but it's a damn good start.

Just like Transmogrifaction, Housing is more than just "the feature itself", but also represents SOMETHING NEW TO DO. People would immediately begin farming for House-items.

Old dungeons and raids? Tradeskills? Archeology? All of these could be sources of house items.

And hell, they could even add more shit to the Cash Shop, provided it isn't the ONLY outlet for cool shit.

Furthermore, Housing is a HUGELY COMPELLING FEATURE FOR MANY GAMERS. No, no everybody cares about Housing. But there are enough that it's clearly a trend for virtually (literally?) every other MMO on the market to have incorporated one.

My personal advice? I'd track down every single person who worked on WildStar's Housing system and hire them on the spot. WildStar may have failed as an MMO, but its Housing system set a new, unprecedented standard for what was possible in a Housing system.

Blizzard could do whatever they want with the details. Maybe it's a solo-instance, or maybe they do "shared settlements" like FFXIV where you also see other players' houses. Maybe each character gets their own house, or maybe it's one per server or even per account. Maybe they're free, or maybe they cost a ton of gold. Maybe they're limited, maybe they're not.

Point is, it would be a truly meaningful feature to the game, and there is no real downside. At worse, "some people won't be into it". Some people aren't into PvP, either, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't support it.

Like I said, above all else, it just gives people shit to DO again. Even if you aren't great at PvP, or maybe you can't Raid often, decorating your place could be a huge motivation to keep playing and maybe branch out into content you ordinarily wouldn't have.
    Na blizzards shown many times that housing isn't possible with the dog shit servers they run on.
    They'd be too popular like garrisions that was their one and only attempt for a long time.
    Hopefully in a few expansions they'll try again but honestly i dont really care.. it'll never have all the stuff i want in it.. What a personal house would have to be like a garrsion.. with those features a scrapper if that makes a return and portals everywhere.. be a mage basically.
    Make sure if you still play your voice is heard if it matters to you, Mine wasn't.
    https://simplearmory.com/#/us/aman't...ectable/mounts
    BFA is another failure on Blizzard for leaving out information yet again despite promising communication with players while Azerite armor is an unfun system forced onto us to keep us grinding.

I remember when they implemented player housing in EverQuest back in the day. It was kinda dumb but it did have a fun flaw - if you placed an object on top of another object, then removed the first object, the second item would float in mid-air. I had some fun with this and made a gigantic 50 foot tall hand made out of bushes and shrubs giving the middle finger towards the house of a guildmate I didn't like. When she complained to me about it being immoral, I arranged skeletons on my lawn all having one big undead orgy.

If WoW housing allows for similar shenanigans I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post

- - - Updated - - -

That stuff is far better than player housing because it atleat has an effect on actually playing the game and not playing interior decorator.
    Yes, it affect how you play the game - by making it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by BALLS BALLS BALLS BALLS View Post
    Imagine caring this much about a virtual apartment in a video game.
    It is literally same as caring about gear or rating in a game... Just because something is achievement for you, it is not one for everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
    How is that different from killing the Lich King to get a pet or a selfie filter?
    Oh don't get me wrong, I think ALL that cosmetic stuff should be removed from boss loot table.

Quote Originally Posted by oblakoff View Post
    Yes, it affect how you play the game - by making it worse.
    No it doesn't. It makes it better by playing the actual game, not a Sims mini game. Torgahat is far superior to playing interior decorator.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    My view has zero to do with garrisons no matter how many times you lie by claiming otherwise. What is truly frustrating is your inability to accept that not everyone is going to agree with you no matter how much you insult them or demean them,by implying they are wrong if they don't want housing.
    Jesus christ since when is disagreeing with someone demeaning them? I responded to you with thoughtfully constructed posts and thoroughly explained reasoning behind my thinking and the only thing you can do is accuse me of being demeaning. Please tell me then where I demeaned you? The only person here who has said anything demeaning is you with your "playing house" comments insinuating that wanting to have customizable content somehow makes anyone with those interests childish. Either defend your stance with points of your own or stop responding to me with this bullshit about being demeaning.

It’s because the engine could not handle it, and Blizzard doesn’t want to put in the time that would be needed to make a GOOD housing system.

I would play WoW again if they had real player housing. But that is the only thing that would call me back.

Now I just play Rust which is 1000X better anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    On the second point... well, WoW didn't *start* with ANY of those things, other than PvP. Raids weren't there at launch, even the Trinity system is something players kind of settled into, as early-Vanilla showed a lot more signs of attempts to have actual Hybrid characters (I still remember being a Ret Pally who could serve as a pretty competent healer or tank, at least long enough to finish killing a boss if he was close).
    Trinity was not even a set thing in BC. The rule for Burning Crusade dungeons was:

1. If you had an undergeared team, then go 1 tank, 2 dps, 2 heals
    2. If you had a geared team, then go 1 tank, 3 dps, 1 heal
    3. If you had an overgeared team, then go 1 tank, 3 dps, 1 hybrid dps with some heals. Could even go 1 tank 4 dps and just have somebody with a heal button somewhere once in a while.

BC dungeons were very hard upon release because a lot of players just assumed they were supposed to go 1 tank, 3 dps and 1 heal and as a result did not have enough healing to overcome the lack of gear.

All of this nuance was destroyed once Blizzard decided to forcibly assign dungeon roles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I want the ruins of K'aresh for 9.0 as I envision it as Netherstorm on steroids. A broken, shattered world. Eco-domes are stuck on various chunks to protect flora & fauna. I imagine a K'aresh ocean & maybe some islands contained in an eco dome or a snow-capped peak with some jungle valleys in another. Flesh version of Ethereals that never got altered. Space platforms as in Starcraft. Just a totally fantastic tileset & theme that I'd be very keen to explore. They could do some wild things.

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    So much fun!

Doesn't have to necessarily drop from him, you mite get to pick "decorations" of the ground after you kill some boss. Candelabra standing somewhere in the room, chest, painting, rug etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    It’s because the engine could not handle it, and Blizzard doesn’t want to put in the time that would be needed to make a GOOD housing system.

I would play WoW again if they had real player housing. But that is the only thing that would call me back.

Now I just play Rust which is 1000X better anyways.
    Engine can handle it since original WC3 could handle it as well lol. You realize that original RTS is essentially "the system" that would be needed right? Placing objects on the ground where the cursor is currently at.

Doesn't have to necessarily drop from him, you mite get to pick "decorations" of the ground after you kill some boss. Candelabra standing somewhere in the room, chest, painting, rug etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Engine can handle it since original WC3 could handle it as well lol. You realize that original RTS is essentially "the system" that would be needed right? Placing objects on the ground where the cursor is currently at.
    This is actually not a stupid idea - after the boss dies, you can "loot" the boss room - taking items that were visible during the encounter, but are now "lootable".

- - - Updated - - -

OOF. and then the second comment - couldnt disagree more, and shows EXTREME naivety.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    OOF. and then the second comment - couldnt disagree more, and shows EXTREME naivety.
    You can't disagree with facts. In fact such system already exists within a WoW. And it's not garrison.

If it's one function we def don't need, it's housing!

I remember playing ESO and getting my first house, it was awesome, I cleaned it up and started putting all my collected treasures and furniture there.... 5hrs later and I freaking NEVER WENT BACK. It's fun for like 2hrs to play "The Sims" for a while but it gets old very quickly and considered how much time they would have to put into develop something like this, I say HELL NO to housing!

You can't disagree with facts. In fact such system already exists within a WoW. And it's not garrison.
    WC3 is NOT wow. FACT. Here is a really great quote that might help you out: "WOW uses as much of the WC3 engine, as Windows7 does from Windows3.1"
    Last edited by arkanon; 2020-10-04 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawon View Post
    If it's one function we def don't need, it's housing!

I remember playing ESO and getting my first house, it was awesome, I cleaned it up and started putting all my collected treasures and furniture there.... 5hrs later and I freaking NEVER WENT BACK. It's fun for like 2hrs to play "The Sims" for a while but it gets old very quickly and considered how much time they would have to put into develop something like this, I say HELL NO to housing!
    Indeed. Also considering the state of the game, housing is the last thing this game need. Unless people have lived under a rock, they should know that the dev team is very short staffed. This means that dev time can only be spent on worth while work and I am afraid but considering the other priorities that have way way way more impact on the game, its health and its futur longevity, housing is just not needed, required or should even be remotely on the radar of the product management team.

Those that want housing, better not get their hopes up, wont happen anytime soon. You might as well go play another game.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    WC3 is NOT wow. FACT. Here is a really great quote that might help you out: "WOW uses as much of the WC3 engine, as Windows7 does from Windows3.1"
    Read again what I wrote. WoW engine is evolved WC3 engine and that is a fact. It is also a fact that it has way more possibilities and features than original engine, it is also a fact that similar "system" already exists within WoW.