Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    to be fair, you could just reuse current assets runescape style and most people would be happy.
    The work that is required to make the assets into usualable pieces for players plus the whole interface, I'd rather all that go else where. Just because the assets are already there doesn't mean there won't be a lot of work to do.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Archage online had this, but I dont see how it could fit into WoW.

Wow has no land to claim, unless you mean more like Runescape where you have your own home to TP to?

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    The work that is required to make the assets into usualable pieces for players plus the whole interface, I'd rather all that go else where. Just because the assets are already there doesn't mean there won't be a lot of work to do.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, there's a lot of programming work to go into it, but the art and models and animations are already mostly there. Just missing UI work for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by pinstripe View Post
    Archage online had this, but I dont see how it could fit into WoW.

Wow has no land to claim, unless you mean more like Runescape where you have your own home to TP to?
    Obviously you shouldn't just drop it anywhere.

However, there should be select locations in various towns and even points in the open world, that would have a personal instance containing your stuff. Obviously multiple players would have the "same" house, similar to the garrison, and each instance belonging to each player.

The objects inside could be ranging from furniture with various racial themes, and even (Blizzard willing) items that drop from various bosses and which work like trophies being able to be mounted on pre-existing nodes in your house.

Hell, we could even have guild houses in the form of a Guild Hall present in Stormwind/Ogrimmar, acting like an instance that is shared by all members of that guild, and inside would obviously be trophies, statues, etc, maybe even locations only accessible by guild officers, similar to entering the wrong class hall in Legion and getting kicked out by some NPC or event.

And if Blizzard really wants to, there should be locations that are able to be developed and made bigger with gold and grinding, turning a hovel into a castle, making the player really attached to a very expensive house. And what if you could even sell your house to other players?

But yeah, such content will never happen as long as Blizzard has crunch and fails to hit deadlines for expansion launches.
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2020-10-07 at 07:47 PM.

I support this idea. I like it. It would be something I personally would be interested in spending time on achieving. I'm not a hardcore raider anymore and casually play on my own time, so I would totally be down for earning housing items, rooms, etc. I enjoy the collecting aspect of WoW these days.
    LIVELOVELAUGHHOPEDREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Mosha View Post
    How do you envision player housing, what do you think you would do inside of it.
    So here is my vision:

I imagine having 2 locations per zone throughout the entire game. Buildings which already exist, but much like the old PvP vendor section in Stormwind, there is a portal you pass through when you open your front door. The houses would have that "yellow glow" to them, kinda like the constructable items on Mechagon:

Only instead of a drill or a rig, it would be the outline of an existing building. So take Bradensbrook for example. If we had one of the existing houses there to "purchase" with ingame gold, once we click to purchase it, it would look exactly as it had during Legion before the purchase:

But, once purchased, the front door might operate something like the classic entrance to the Champions Hall in Stormwind for the PvP vendors where it looks like a door, but once it opens it is a portal:

Once inside, there will be open spaces to place furniture, and then move it around wherever you like. We already have interactive chairs. If we could add the same thing to beds that would cast /sleep, that could add to the immersion of crashing for the night. Plus, engineers, leatherworkers, tailors, blacksmiths could all get new patterns and schematics to make different types of furniture that once placed would cost money to "pick up and move", but while originally placing it, there would be a "try this here" option that lets you see what it looks like before you lock it into place. Thus adding not only more flavor for professions, but allowing some of the gold to go out of the game: (the way they have for SIMs 4)

Then, all you have to do is be in a party of any size, including raid, and everyone could enter your home once you right click your picture and "Invite group to home". If you decide you want to live somewhere else, you simply pick up your furniture, and go into your Housing Tab to "Sell my house" where you get 25% of the purchase price back, and voila! You are off to house hunt somewhere else like Westfall, Grizzly Hills, or even some place in Stormsong. With 2 choices per zone, but only one home per character, you would have to be very selective about where you chose to live. Plus, you would get a stone called "Home is where the Hearth is" that could bring you back to your front door step everytime you use it and would have a 15 minute cool down.

Is it a lot of work? Yeah, you'd have to set a "generic instance layout" inside of each location; however, when you go through the portal, it could take you someplace private the same way your farm was phased in Pandaria. The floorplans would be by specific type, maybe one for each race, and if you are exalted, your Worgen can have a Gnome layout, or maybe your human wants a dwarven model. Who knows? Is it something players would spend tons of time playing with, especially for RP? Absolutely. Would it do something interesting for professions? You bet. Is it a gold sink and a way to keep some players subbed? I know it would be for me I hope this answered your question.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    The prevailing thought seems to be that the reason why WoD had such major issues was development investment into the Garrison system and that sustaining the system - which did receive regular content patches throughout the expansion - was a contributor to why other systems were poorly developed. I agree that it's not likely the sole reason, and we obviously cannot know why WoD's development cycle was so awful, but I think we can all agree that WoD, on paper, was really good and the content that was there was good. The problem was that there were only two major 0.1 patches and one of which was equivalent to a minor content patch in terms of content (i.e.: BE models, twitter integration, WoW token, etc.).

I think the problem on Blizzard's end is that if they did implement a housing system it would have to be built-out over time and having to maintain this new system would likely stretch their timelines even more than they already are. Players would expect constant updates and heavy customization to player housing which I don't think would be sustainable for Blizzard, and in many instances I don't even know if the current game engine can even support customization that other games can (such as ESO player housing).
    I would even settle for something like what SWTOR has with the decorations, and the strongholds: https://swtorstrongholds.com/
    “Be the change you want to see in the world.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

7+ Year Old Account
    No more bananas than WoW not having Myspace and Geocities intergration

Ah I only saw the first half of the subject and had to guess what the complaint was. It was either going to be housing or universal server wide bank...I’m glad I guessed correctly. Imagine...server-wide banking inside your own player house....can we get a thread about that?

Didn't they try that with garrisons and it failed miserably?

Quote Originally Posted by TerrisT View Post
    No one wants housing system in WoW.
    Or rather, the opinion of the 1% who does doesnt matter.
    Yup, everyone wants Blizzard to spend all their time and resources trying to get 1 rental power to work across 36 specs...

I think this every time i see a new set of housing and furniture assets added to the game. Same with ships. Having a guild or personal ship to use in some new type of seafaring gameplay could hypothetically hit the mark on both housing and alternate endgame content (to mission boards, WQs, & AP grinds).

We really could have housing styles and architectures for virtually every race in the game, playable and non-playable. I particularly love the wildhammer hovels seen in Twilight Highlands.

- - - Updated - - -

Speak for yourself here. It's been among the community's most commonly requested features since OG classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Your Mommy View Post
    IIRC Garrisons were just another stage of testing and toying around with the concept of player owned property. The earlier ones were the scrapped housing district of Stormwind, and the farm in MoP. I assume a definitive housing feature for WoW is still in the cards if they manage to make it feel unique enough to WoW, and not just a generic housing system as seen in every other MMO. The problem with Garrisons imo was that they scrapped a lot of the original ideas they had for it. (e.g. being able to choose it's location on Draenor, set up trading routes between player garrisons, etc etc). Combine that with how much they overdid the hub amenities to boot.
    Last edited by Mellrod; 2020-11-05 at 06:39 AM.
    ( -> | |=====-~
    / ) \ | |
    - " "-| |
    ( -> | |====~
    / ) \ | |
    -" "-| |

Buy a house IRL and then you won't care whether or not you can buy one in a game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I'm usually a supporter of Blizzard but after seeing the way that Soulbinds are going to work on top of this change to M+ I'm deeply regretting my decision to preorder this expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Thanks man, your super hot take that WoW sucks is really refreshing.

Field Marshal
    5+ Year Old Account
    I would love that to happen.. i even think i was one of few that liked the garrisons.. - made alts usefull

Quote Originally Posted by Seratox View Post
    Buy a house IRL and then you won't care whether or not you can buy one in a game.
    Not true.

10c

I'm gonna guess and say the opinion of the 1% who doesn't matter is the faction that does not want housing.
    It's at least a far more realistic guess than what you just did there.

For me, I don't really care either way, but saying I don't want it would be a stretch.
    Because I do want it more than I do not want it.

The Garrison stuff was fun too, can't honestly believe anyone would disagree that the idea behind that whole thing in WoD was good.
    It certainly was one of the main reasons I played that expansion and looked forward to the most.
    That it ended up being the way it is however is not really the fault of housing/the feature itself, but rather the fault of how the implementation went.

It's basically the same with the MGS:Phantom Pain base.
    That shit is fun to expand, build up, design - to recruit personal that walks around there yada-yada etc. etc.
    But, nothing really was done with it.
    When, during the story missions, the base got attacked, you didn't really get to fight alongside your mercenary soldiers and shit like that.

in WoD, the Garrison, once built, was at least better than AFKing in Orgrimmar.
    The process of building it by itself was actually fun.

Same thing with housing. The RP community would obviously go nuts, but even normal players are most likely going to use that feature extensively and go there sometimes whenever they idle. It'd be a breeze of fresh air for the game overall.
    Something else to do, other than just running M+ and Raids.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2020-11-05 at 06:54 AM.

To be fair the fantasy of not having to apply for mortgages and not having to pay taxes/utility bills/insurance/everything else is pretty nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Mommy View Post
    Yeah. But garrison was made as preset nothin personal. It was more like goldmakein machine nothin else.

7+ Year Old Account
    Another house? Jesus how many houses/apartments do I need to own before I lose interested in housing in WoW?

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    No more bananas than WoW not having Myspace and Geocities intergration
    You say that, but WoW is as old and outdated as Myspace anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.