Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
12
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Because people believe it'd "take people away" from hubs, like the Garrison did... people were hanging out there instead of in Orgrimmar and Stormwind...
    its a very crappy argument,its like saying transmog takes people away from hubs because they are farming old raids/dungeons etc for it


    the op is very right....its a CRIME agains the gaming comunity that blizzard has yett to implement a true housing system....they have so many good examples out there,and it would fit and work in wow soooooo gooood

    have a decorations profesion for it,have stuff drop in raids,mythic only chairs maybe lol,pvp,achvments!!! they can finnaly make achvments usefull,they can even put some on the shop to cover the activision boner

    wow arhitecture is also sooooo good for a housing system,imagine a gilnean style manor...or waycrest,or some mop chinese/japanese like houses,have them be instanced in special areas,or do it like poe does it in a special out of bounds zone with differend biodomes,desert,forest,jungle etc

    blizz is literaly bleeeding subs and money by not doing this...this is something the collectionists would DROOL over,and its even something people that dont care about collections would dabble in

  2. #22
    Immortal callipygoustp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    7,908
    If ever there was something to draw in, big time, the casuals.... housing is it. Fuck, look at how ridiculously popular transmog is.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    What is the purpose of player housing? I've always had a hard time figuring out why this was important. Just a cosmetic bank correct?
    It is all cosmetic. A place uniquely your own that you can decorate to your heart's content with items that you have bought in the store, earned in dungeons/raids/questing or purchased from vendors. The best analogy is adult Legos.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    What is the purpose of player housing? I've always had a hard time figuring out why this was important. Just a cosmetic bank correct?
    same purpose mount and transmog collection serves but BETTER

  5. #25
    They can't do it right.

    And they won't do Guild Halls because this game is becoming more and more solo-able. The ripe time for Guild Halls was 6-8 years ago.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    The difference is the Garrison was a half-assed attempt at player housing, like most successful concepts Blizzard steals from other mmo's.
    You're assuming that the reason the Garrison feature was created was to be a player housing. You'd be wrong.

    They put in a minimal amount of effort to concepts and systems, then slap bandaid fixes throughout the expansion and it doesn't even turn out acceptable in the end.
    If this is your view of Blizzard, why do you want them to implement player housing if, by your words, all they'll do is "put minimal effort"?

    Garrison's wouldn't have been the "hangout" spot if the Capitals weren't copy/pasta building assets from the Garrison. If Capitals were Karabor and Bladespire Citadel, as originally intended, significantly less people would have spent time parked in the Garrison.
    Even if Karabor/Bladespire were "capitals", you'd still be wrong, considering that the majority of the expansion's features and functionalities existed within the Garrison: mining, herb garden, profession buildings, portals, mission table, auction house, daily dungeon quest hub, etc.
    I did a Necromancer thing. Check it out! All feedback welcome!
    I also did a Bard thing! Questions, comments and ideas, all welcome!

  7. #27
    The only way Id get into Housing would be if it was free range building and gathering, basically make it like Ark, Conan: Exiles, 7D2D and Id be all for it otherwise I could give 2 shits less about it, the only reason I did housing in SWTOR was because it was required to quickly gather conquest.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    same purpose mount and transmog collection serves but BETTER
    You can only interact with a ''player house'' one at a time.

    I can get my CM set on and get on Sha mount and just AFK in Boralus and get whispers ''Damn dude, where can I get that set?!'' or ''How many tries for Sha mount?!''.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    They can't do it right.

    And they won't do Guild Halls because this game is becoming more and more solo-able. The ripe time for Guild Halls was 6-8 years ago.
    They have guild halls and player housing in SWTOR. It is a lot of fun to go on guild runs to earn special/unique decorations for your guild hall. Plus they make for great meet up places before going on dungeons or raids.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    What is the purpose of player housing? I've always had a hard time figuring out why this was important. Just a cosmetic bank correct?
    Very much the same as Transmogging. There's no inherent "purpose", but creating a cool environment can be deeply satisfying.

    For example, on my Death Knight, I might create a frozen, gothic castle, maybe a secret room off the dining room where it looks like I'm building my own Abomination. But maybe on my Gnome Mage, maybe I go for more of a "tropical paradise" sort of vibe, with tiki torches and straw huts.

    Good housing should always remain PURELY OPTIONAL. No "convenience" items like Auction House or anything like that. Purely your own fun little place, if you are so inclined.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post

    Even if Karabor/Bladespire were "capitals", you'd still be wrong, considering that the majority of the expansion's features and functionalities existed within the Garrison: mining, herb garden, profession buildings, portals, mission table, auction house, daily dungeon quest hub, etc.
    That was the issue with the Garrisons. They were not purely cosmetic in nature. They were places where parts of the game took place, which really does de-populate the world.

  12. #32
    I doubt that Blizzard even knows how to do proper housing. They somewhat attempted it with garrisons and it turned out to be one of the worst features.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightforged View Post
    They have guild halls and player housing in SWTOR. It is a lot of fun to go on guild runs to earn special/unique decorations for your guild hall. Plus they make for great meet up places before going on dungeons or raids.
    Not saying you're wrong, just saying that the prevalence and the need for a guild is much less critical now than it used to be.

    Memes aside, I would prefer an extra raid, a new dungeon with a new patch cycle or something else instead of Guild Halls and the constant updates it would require to keep justifying it's existence. Because once you introduced it, the players would ask 24/7 for more updates, more content, more everything for them.

  14. #34
    It just means they have some sense of design left.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    You can only interact with a ''player house'' one at a time.

    I can get my CM set on and get on Sha mount and just AFK in Boralus and get whispers ''Damn dude, where can I get that set?!'' or ''How many tries for Sha mount?!''.
    Maybe housing is not for you?

    It is quite fun to get all the decorations and then make your house(s) look ace.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    Not saying you're wrong, just saying that the prevalence and the need for a guild is much less critical now than it used to be.

    Memes aside, I would prefer an extra raid, a new dungeon with a new patch cycle or something else instead of Guild Halls and the constant updates it would require to keep justifying it's existence.
    The way you conceptualize Guild Halls is even more useless in SWTOR, where you have instantaneous access to every planet (zone) and near instantaneous access to every raid/dungeon.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightforged View Post
    Maybe housing is not for you?

    It is quite fun to get all the decorations and then make your house(s) look ace.
    Oh I would absolutely do it as well, I would love to turn my crib in to an extension of Gilneas with all the decors, furniture and stuff. But it's inherently not as show-off worthy as transmog or mounts.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightforged View Post
    The way you conceptualize Guild Halls is even more useless in SWTOR, where you have instantaneous access to every planet (zone) and near instantaneous access to every raid/dungeon.
    Gross. As if this is what this game needs more - players turning in to isolated islands.

  17. #37
    To infinity and beyond det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    35,923
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post

    The thing that makes this so crazy to me, is that this is SUCH an easy "Win" for Blizzard.

    My personal advice? I'd track down every single person who worked on WildStar's Housing system and hire them on the spot. WildStar may have failed as an MMO, but its Housing system set a new, unprecedented standard for what was possible in a Housing system.
    What does "win" even mean? Like it will attract millions of ppl again just for it? Or at least hundreds of thousands? And keep them engaged just because...housing?

    And thanks for bringing Wildstar into it, because housing as a single feature sure as shit didn't save that game.

    So why would housing do for WoW what it couldn't do for Wildstar? If it is as you call it "a truly meaningful feature to the game"

    Edit: I would definitely invest into this feature...I am not saying "don't do it" - Hell..let them do it just to watch the people here cry how Blizzard fucked that one up as well....I just don't get the passion that you folks have and the loathing that you give to Blizzard for not doing it...culminating into this guy calling it "a crime" that it isn't implemented.

    If people seriously had such a hard on for housing to put it on a pedestal over everything...again...then Wildstar would now be king. And don't give me "Ah well..everything else about Wildstar was shite" because I read here daily how everything about WoW is shite ^^
    Last edited by det; 2020-09-28 at 09:25 PM.

  18. #38
    Personally, I think it's bananas that people are still wanting a housing system. What would you even want to do with it? Show off the worthless transmogs that you're not currently wearing? Decorate it with items that no one else is ever going to see because your house is going to be instanced? What's the appeal, exactly?

    I ask this as a former player of Asheron's Call, which had player housing (Cottages, Villas, Mansions) that were present in the actual game world and, therefore, limited in number. Once all the houses were gone, no one was able to get them until someone else stopped paying rent and lost their house. Housing in Asheron's Call was for you to show off your quest items, buff items, and a number of mostly uninteresting decorations. Asheron's Call had a lot of fun little knick-knacks that were essentially useless, but also cute (think pets in WoW, but they didn't follow you around). Housing in AC was a great addition because it was limited, so not everyone could have one, and because the loot system in the game didn't follow the expansion cycle that games like WoW have -- pretty much every good item had a time and a place and wasn't rendered useless just because a new expansion was released. Players tended to keep equipment drops long after they were no longer useful to them because they could give them to their alts or to their guildies... and such drops often had sentimental value.

    WoW, by contrast, has loot that becomes worthless to you the instant you replace it, which happens with new seasonal tiers or sometimes even during the same tier. Those items are trashed pretty much as soon as they're replaced because they have no sentimental value. Toys in WoW tend to not have in-game art assets, aside from their icon (not exactly something that you can display on the walls of your house). The only thing in-game that I could really see as being useful decoration for a house would be mounts (which would be visible in a stable, obviously) and pets. Most of these, however, are common and uninteresting.

    I don't see the point of housing in WoW. Blizzard would have to implement hundreds of housing items that would otherwise never exist just to ensure that players would have something to decorate with and then, who is going to see it? Blizzard obviously isn't going to plunk down a few thousand houses into the game world and make players race to be the first to grab them -- they'd have to have them instanced... and why on Earth would anyone bother checking out your house? WoW is not a game that is very conducive to housing.
    Last edited by Belloc; 2020-09-28 at 09:23 PM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    Oh I would absolutely do it as well, I would love to turn my crib in to an extension of Gilneas with all the decors, furniture and stuff. But it's inherently not as show-off worthy as transmog or mounts.
    One of the cool things in SWTOR is that they have a computer you can access in the equivalent of Stormwind and Orgrimmar, which allows you to post your house and allow random people to come by and admire it. Which is really fun to see because people can be incredibly creative.

    But yes, it is all cosmetic and less "open" than a mount of a transmog, for sure.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    Oh I would absolutely do it as well, I would love to turn my crib in to an extension of Gilneas with all the decors, furniture and stuff. But it's inherently not as show-off worthy as transmog or mounts.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Gross. As if this is what this game needs more - players turning in to isolated islands.
    People still hang out in all the major cities and hubs. It is rare for me to not see other people questing or running around in pretty much every zone.

  20. #40
    It's one of those things where it'd be kinda neat to have but would have minimal impact on how I play the game.

    Besides I can just imagine the nonstop whining when they inevitably put some housing stuff on the cash shop.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •