Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
8
9
17
... LastLast
  1. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Seriously; Blizzard is more than happy to rip-off good ideas, and usually refines them to be even better than the source of inspiration. But for whatever reason, the closest thing to even an *attempt* as housing was the half-assed Garrisons, which offered nearly zero customization of any kind.

    The thing that makes this so crazy to me, is that this is SUCH an easy "Win" for Blizzard.

    Think about it; they have over FIFTEEN YEARS of ALREADY-EXISTING ASSETS they could use. No, it's not as simple as flipping a switch, but it's a damn good start.

    Just like Transmogrifaction, Housing is more than just "the feature itself", but also represents SOMETHING NEW TO DO. People would immediately begin farming for House-items.

    Old dungeons and raids? Tradeskills? Archeology? All of these could be sources of house items.

    And hell, they could even add more shit to the Cash Shop, provided it isn't the ONLY outlet for cool shit.

    Furthermore, Housing is a HUGELY COMPELLING FEATURE FOR MANY GAMERS. No, no everybody cares about Housing. But there are enough that it's clearly a trend for virtually (literally?) every other MMO on the market to have incorporated one.

    My personal advice? I'd track down every single person who worked on WildStar's Housing system and hire them on the spot. WildStar may have failed as an MMO, but its Housing system set a new, unprecedented standard for what was possible in a Housing system.

    Blizzard could do whatever they want with the details. Maybe it's a solo-instance, or maybe they do "shared settlements" like FFXIV where you also see other players' houses. Maybe each character gets their own house, or maybe it's one per server or even per account. Maybe they're free, or maybe they cost a ton of gold. Maybe they're limited, maybe they're not.

    Point is, it would be a truly meaningful feature to the game, and there is no real downside. At worse, "some people won't be into it". Some people aren't into PvP, either, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't support it.

    Like I said, above all else, it just gives people shit to DO again. Even if you aren't great at PvP, or maybe you can't Raid often, decorating your place could be a huge motivation to keep playing and maybe branch out into content you ordinarily wouldn't have.
    I will concede that Wildstars housing system was without a doubt, the best I've ever seen. And it made sense, as well as gave a practical purpose to it. No other game has ever done this type of system that well. But then again, the game crashed and burned. So what did it even matter?

    No one really wants player housing. It's stupid in just about every game and is usually a total waste of time/resources. In every game metric, I've ever seen, outside of FFXIV, player housing is a wash, and more often than not, a total loss. Players never use it enough, it doesn't serve a real purpose, and often times eliminates the social aspect of MMOs as folks just hide away.

    I think guild halls though, would probably be a decent idea. A place for your guildmates to hang out and do stuff. But again, it would go against what WoW wants to do. And garrisons ruined it, as folks just wanted it for its money-making potential.

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Seriously; Blizzard is more than happy to rip-off good ideas, and usually refines them to be even better than the source of inspiration. But for whatever reason, the closest thing to even an *attempt* as housing was the half-assed Garrisons, which offered nearly zero customization of any kind.

    The thing that makes this so crazy to me, is that this is SUCH an easy "Win" for Blizzard.
    I think Garrisons would have been amazing had they gone all in on the housing/customization of it (get to move it, new building art from other races, decorations, etc). But that wasn't the path they took. It'd be amazing to have player housing though.

  3. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Personally I'm pretty glad Blizzard hasn't wasted any resources on Housing.
    Idk they wasted alot of resources over the years.
    19KbBmTBCvHyA3eHFhP8UCnbx2JoYA3az6

  4. #124
    Housing would be great.

    I would only accept it; if it included all racial buildings types and housing location any where in Azeroth.

    Also be able to set up a mini village outside your home just to make it more lively. No need to maintain it just there for flavor.

  5. #125
    Don't care for personal housing but would love an upgradable/customizable guildhall.

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    imagine playing a video game
    imagine imagining me playing a video game

  7. #127
    Scarab Lord TriHard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Probably Banned, LUL
    Posts
    4,140
    The problem is, could they do good player housing in WoW? Cuz I have my doubts that they would get it to the level that FF14 is at.
    FF14's housing is as good as it gets, though I will say the downside is that housing is limited meaning not everyone is gonna be able to obtain it.

    But in terms of customization, it's so fucking good. I would rather they did not do player housing in WoW if it would not even be half as good as FF14's system.

    Also, the amount of micro transaction money they could make off of that shit is nuts.

  8. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    I don't care about housing. Noone I know cares about housing.
    Imagine thinking the world revolved around you and your little echo chamber/ circle of friends and not being able to accept that other people can enjoy something you don't.

    Just because I don't enjoy PvP doesn't mean I think it shouldn't exist. Leave your little shell, turtle, there's a whole world offering diversity the likes your little mind can't begin to imagine.

  9. #129
    Immortal roahn the warlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In your base, killing your dudes
    Posts
    7,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    What is the purpose of player housing? I've always had a hard time figuring out why this was important. Just a cosmetic bank correct?
    Same reason as transmog, is fun.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

  10. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by Factcheck View Post
    Don't care for personal housing but would love an upgradable/customizable guildhall.
    I always thought this idea would be great. I don't mind the idea of housing, maybe a place to show off cool transmog gear on mannequins or boss heads as trophies.

    Housing would prob turn out like garrisons where people stay there too much or it could just wind up being an abandoned place. Where guild halls could shine with opportunities of portals or temp buffing NPCs for the open world content with certain achievements.

  11. #131
    Immortal roahn the warlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In your base, killing your dudes
    Posts
    7,522
    I always have wanted to (instead of player housing) have a system that marries class halls, Garrisons, and new cities. I want to have a base set up INSIDE the main city. It doesn't need to be big, or fancy, like a little apartment inside the city. And each xpack I get a new one that has my table for missions, and little achivement things set up that I earned during the xpack.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

  12. #132
    blizzard tried it already it was called the garrison. we dont need anything of that useless crap, i can assure you housing will be one of the worst features ever if they try it.

  13. #133
    Please don't waste second developing player housing. Go play the sims if you want to play house and make woohoo.

  14. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    WoW is not SWTOR. I played for a bit but had to quit due to time investment limits on my end but from the start it's giving very different vibes about the necessity of socialising and player interaction.
    no,swtor is basicaly a star wars skin copy of wow,its an mmo that people play,not aliens...if a well made player housing works in that mmo and many others,it can work in wow just fine,but im guessing they are afraid (or greedy),to find the time to put it in

  15. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    The original concept behind Garrisons were to be player housing. You were picking the zone, you were setting up the exact layout of all the buildings, everything was supposed to be customizable with ZERO effect on player power or progression. The whole reason Garrisons became a thought in the first place was to compete with Wildstar and SWTOR player housing, this is evident with the fact that both games had highly receptive and positive resulted testing on these features before Blizzard ever released Warlords.
    I see claims, I see no evidence.

    Also... Wildstar? Really? The game that crashed and burned hard?

    I never said I wanted player housing. I'm saying everything Blizzard does is a half-assed ripoff of successful features from other games, that have proven time and time again as failures.
    Yeah... no. None of what you say has "been proven time and again as failures".

    The reality is the original concept of the Garrison was not supposed to have ANY game altering features.
    "The reality"? Where was this ever stated?

    Auction House has zero argument value as there were Auction Houses in the Capitals, you can't use something the capital has as an argument as to why it wouldn't be used.
    Actually, unless you were an engineer, expansion capitals (with the exception of Cataclysm, for obvious reasons) never had auction houses.

    Daily Dungeon Quest Hub? What are you even on about here? Apexis dailies? Nobody did that shit, there was no reward from doing them, Apexis shards had no value in the game what-so-ever.
    I wrote "daily dungeon quest hub", and you even repeated the name, word for word. And still you did not bother to research it. Alliance and Horde versions.

    The reality is, if the capitals were significantly cooler, people would have been there hanging out, it's the same argument to SW vs Ironforge in Vanilla/Classic.
    Big IF there, mind you.

    The Garrison has 'content' you could do once a day and not miss out on anything, you wouldn't be spending hours there if there was a cooler place to run circles around.
    You're assuming that Karabor and Bladespire Citadel would be "cooler places to run circles around". For all we know, they could end up being as uninteresting, or even more so, than the garrisons. A place with a flight path, bank, and some vendors, and nothing else. Just like the Garrisons.
    I did a Necromancer thing. Check it out! All feedback welcome!
    I also did a Bard thing! Questions, comments and ideas, all welcome!

  16. #136
    Quote Originally Posted by Mexh View Post
    It's called a garrison in WoW. You can go into your garrison and role play all day long and you can also invite your friends.
    cool story bro,thats like saying a cardboard box=just like your own mansion and a few milions to do what you want in it

    stop with the garrison comparison,its silly,garrison is nothing like a player home,a player home would not only alow real customization,but it would tie that customization to all kinds of activities,and it wouldnt be a MAJOR PLAYER POWER SYSTEM like it was in wod...just a cosmetic thing like transmog and mounts are

  17. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    The thing that makes this so crazy to me, is that this is SUCH an easy "Win" for Blizzard.

    Think about it; they have over FIFTEEN YEARS of ALREADY-EXISTING ASSETS they could use. No, it's not as simple as flipping a switch, but it's a damn good start.

    Just like Transmogrifaction, Housing is more than just "the feature itself", but also represents SOMETHING NEW TO DO. People would immediately begin farming for House-items.
    I have to say I am on the fence on this. I know customization is a big thing for some but how many? It really hard to gauge I believe. Potentially they could look at transmog to see determine how popular it is but how do you measure that?

    I do not think housing is that easy to implement as people claim but that is just my opinion and could be wrong.

  18. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    I see claims, I see no evidence.
    Go watch the Blizzcon deep dive where they announced Warlords, they discussed how Garrisons were going to be able to be placed in any zone, with complete customization.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Also... Wildstar? Really? The game that crashed and burned hard?
    It really didn't, the game had a lot of marvels, the problem was it had to compete with WoW that was coming off a strong expansion, into the first horrible expansion that people stuck through because they expected better out of Blizzard.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Yeah... no. None of what you say has "been proven time and again as failures".
    Really? Then why have all these systems disappeared from the game? Why has Blizzard admitted that several features over the last several expansions have been called and I quote "failures" by Blizzard themselves like the Garrison, Artifact Weapons, and Azerite Armor to name a few.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    "The reality"? Where was this ever stated?
    As I mentioned above, the first Blizzcon where WoD was announced, in the deep dive panel.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Actually, unless you were an engineer, expansion capitals (with the exception of Cataclysm, for obvious reasons) never had auction houses.
    What are you talking about? WoD had/has an Auction House in the capital that wasn't Engineer specific.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    I wrote "daily dungeon quest hub", and you even repeated the name, word for word. And still you did not bother to research it. Alliance and Horde versions.
    The inn quests were done in less than a month, you went there ONCE per day for a month to pick up the quest and after you had all the rewards there was no reason to run the dungeons.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Big IF there, mind you.
    No, it's not a "big if". This has been proven, people preferred to Ironforge over Stormwind consistently for a very long time, even moving into Burning Crusade, people would hang out in Ironforge over Shattrath. This just proves to me that you aren't actually a veteran player if you don't know these simple facts.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    You're assuming that Karabor and Bladespire Citadel would be "cooler places to run circles around". For all we know, they could end up being as uninteresting, or even more so, than the garrisons. A place with a flight path, bank, and some vendors, and nothing else. Just like the Garrisons.
    Except not really because there was HUGE community outrage over this fact for months leading up to WoD and for several months in WoD.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

    Zyky is better than you.

  19. #139
    Warchief smityx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Walmart Basment FEMA Camp 7
    Posts
    2,204
    pfffttt... they need the dance studion and tiktoc integration first before housing. /s

  20. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    pfffttt... they need the dance studion and tiktoc integration first before housing. /s
    I'd still like the dance studio. Having a different dance for the allied races would be nice.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •