Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    Warlords of Barbies Dreamcastle?

Look what the garrisons was going to be when they announce it ... "you can have your garrison anywhere in draenor" and that changed to one spot.

If you want housing, then why not just go and play the sims

Because we dont need them, i mean really, we really dont need them...

10+ Year Old Account
    OP, be honest.
    You just want an area of privacy to f*ck bananas in, don't you?
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    It can be argued easily that by not doing housing blizzard saved wow. Almost all mmo that have had housing has failed. Wow doesn't have it and continues to dominate. The expansion that wow did housing+ was it's worst failure. They even marketed 6.1 as a major patch and we lost a whole raid tier. Blizzard learned very quickly that housing is a waste of resources. Who cares what reason they gave. The players hated it and it's never coming back.
    I think that's because most mmos fail. Like almost all mmos that had a mail system failed. Honestly, can't think of a single MMO that failed because it had housing (they are many other reasons).

7+ Year Old Account
    Would be cool, doesn't Garrisons count at all though?

Warlock always and forever, Necromancer otherwise
    It is better to be feared than it is to be loved, if you cannot have both.

The only way housing would work is if we could get loot out of it. And I mean, we, not just you and your house. Something like a raid/dungeon that's set on your house "transmog" and everyone can join to kill some themed bosses.
    Or having vendors for some cool stuff (gear, mounts, cosmetics) that show up in some player houses randomly so you have to actively ask to get invited to someone else's house.

Anyway, have you seen how "rigid" the world is? Like in order to change some terrain (like destroying a bridge) you have to phase your character in and out, or even hair in characters, it does not follow physics and it's just wigs on for bald models. It would take ages for Blizzard to implement stuff that you can place and move at your will without heavily changing the graphics engine.

well first of all, housing would be a great add to the game farming :

furniture on old and new boss to farm
    recipe for each craft , you could sell your housing creation on ah, etc..

blizzard dont do it because they are just lazy who love to drown themself in your cash without effort

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaintk View Post
    well first of all, housing would be a great add to the game farming :

furniture on old and new boss to farm
    recipe for each craft , you could sell your housing creation on ah, etc..

blizzard dont do it because they are just lazy who love to drown themself in your cash without effort
    It sounds great on paper, but I'm not sure it can be done properly in this aging engine. It would definitely look like something garrisons looked like; pre-placed empty plots you can put something on, in personal or guild based instances you might be able to invite people in.

Blizzard has definitely created a lot of art assets for every race so far, that it probably wouldn't be too difficult to just convert them into something you can buy/farm and place in your garrison/house, but I feel it would still look rather bleak, because, again, pre-placed plots. It would be something, I suppose, but meh...
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Because they will save that feature when wow has run its course. Some might say it already has, but they aint there yet. When the game is truly dying off, housing will be put in. With that there will be a huge shop feature where you can buy most(all) stuff needed to pimp out your house for real money.

With it, they can even remove the sub fee. With a up and running cash shop for mounts, pets, boosts, gold and housing features they dont need the sub anymore.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have never found housing systems interesting in any mmo. Now if they offer some kind of benefit, then I'd like them very much. Garrisons are the closest thing, even if obsolete now.

There would be a new profession needed too who can craft furniture, and one that allows harvesting those materials. And bosses could also drop instance themed furniture or blueprints.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    the problem is that blizz seems to be to greedy to hire extra people or something,everytime they atempt a really major endevour,like in cataclysm or wod,something else suffers imensly,cata and wod had huge content cuts
    Untrue. 100% false. Cata and WoD had faster power progressions that let you finish content in 3 months instead of the 9 months it took you to farm enough corruptions / resistance and essences to kill mythic N'zoth.

The only mistake of WoD was that Blizzard didn't milk the content for longer by having less gear drop.

I'm calling it right now, in 12-18 months we're gonna see the exact same complaints about Shadowlands.
    "I finished the raids and had nothing to do for 5 months, worst expansion since Cata! Rabble rabble"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    It's not player housing as defined by whatever narrow version of criteria that individual person has. And since everybody already universally agrees that "WOD = BAD" then the only thing people agree is that the expansion sucked therefore the feature sucked.
    WoD was awesome. Not because of garrisons, but because it had a fun and relaxed design.

Quote Originally Posted by tru View Post
    Don't see why people always say guild housing. What one person has control? 5 top people? How customizable is it? Everything gets a vote? Eliminate the problem do garrison but do it right. There's is literally no point to sit in capital city with trade chat being in that type of area and the group finder existing.
    Well, I know the concept may be foreign, but a guild could come together, talk and decide as a community on TS/Discord. Because that's what guilds are. Ultimately the guild leader decides of course, it's their guild after all.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Well, I know the concept may be foreign, but a guild could come together, talk and decide as a community on TS/Discord. Because that's what guilds are. Ultimately the guild leader decides of course, it's their guild after all.
    If you had asked me years ago, I would say that guild housing would work in wow. Today? Not so much. The game aint buildt around guilds any longer and I suspect fewer and fewer uses them actively. Its more about how each player plays now, theres no need to come together for content in the game.

Not saying there aint guilds out there, but its different now. People would be very upset if housing was put in only for 1 person in your guild gets to decide how it looks.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess blizzard didnt figure out yet you can make money out of housing.

And just to pult a salt on the wound:

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't understand all the hype around player housing. I see absolutely no benefit, aside from some mediocre cosmetic stuff to hang on the walls.

The only mmo's I can say that I experienced housing in were runescape and everquest. In everquest in felt like a total waste of time. Wow, I have a house.. awesome.. Nothing to do with it. On the other hand, the runescape housing provides a lot of bonuses, these bonuses however are very niche things that I feel only work because it's runescape. Like bonus prayer xp and portals.

Housing in single player RPG's could be cool, but again, needs a very niche mechanic to make it worth my time. See Terraria. Housing there is awesome, because you need housing for npc's to spawn. Minecraft aswel. Amazing, all your progression basicly revolves around your house. But then there's housing in skyrim. It felt exactly like housing in everquest. Just a box with some furniture to move around. Nice.

Housing in WoW now... What could it possibly bring, aside from a place for goldshire inn RP'ers to go afterparty? Possible transmogs? Achievements? Garrison already has all the side quest type of things, I honestly don't see what benifits housing could bring to WoW, aside from giving players another instanced zone to stay by themselves/with a few friends.
    I 3d print stuff

What is housing going to do other than what garrisons did? You're just gonna have everyone chilling in their own personal instances afk. Adds nothing of value to the game. Least garrisons gave me afk gold/materials.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    I guess blizzard didnt figure out yet you can make money out of housing.

And just to pult a salt on the wound:
    How is WildStar doing? I bet they rolling in money right now with this implementation. /s

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    If you had asked me years ago, I would say that guild housing would work in wow. Today? Not so much. The game aint buildt around guilds any longer and I suspect fewer and fewer uses them actively. Its more about how each player plays now, theres no need to come together for content in the game.

Not saying there aint guilds out there, but its different now. People would be very upset if housing was put in only for 1 person in your guild gets to decide how it looks.
    Yes, and guild housing is a way to combat this fact. As I said: The last time Blizzard did something to encourage players to search a guild was in Cata, where many guild boni were introduced. Most of those have been removed by now.
    Guilds solve many problems players complain about today:
    They offer a way to find people to play with instead of having to PuG (which is a major source of frustration for some).
    They provide an extra layer of attachment, since you are not only attached to the game but also to other people in it, which benefits Blizzard without them having to do much for it.
    They provide help for new players. Let's be honest here: WoW is absolutely not newbie friendly. Neither the game, nor the community. And Exile's Reach does not really help here. It takes years for a MMO newbie to learn to play the game properly and many give up before that, because lfg and lfr are toxic af. Try learning how to tank in a random group, I dare you.

And people would not be angry, same as they are not angry about guild tabards now. They either like the guild hall, or they ignore it. It must not be an integral part of the game, but a place to show off your guild's achievements and provide some sense of community. Also you could have every guild member have their own room within the guild hall, so they have something to decorate on their own. And in a functioning guild every active member will somewhat have a say in the design of the guild hall. There are plenty of possibilities to explore here; way more than player housing offers (because Garrisons are player housing and somehow the core concept of those does not qualify as "housing" for some).

tl;dr
    Strengthening guilds is easy for Blizz to do and offers solutions to many problems players and Blizzard faces now. Low effort, high reward. But guilds are outside of Blizzard's control, so maybe that's why they do not want to strengthen guilds.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Yes, and guild housing is a way to combat this fact. As I said: The last time Blizzard did something to encourage players to search a guild was in Cata, where many guild boni were introduced. Most of those have been removed by now.
    Guilds solve many problems players complain about today:
    They offer a way to find people to play with instead of having to PuG (which is a major source of frustration for some).
    They provide an extra layer of attachment, since you are not only attached to the game but also to other people in it, which benefits Blizzard without them having to do much for it.
    They provide help for new players. Let's be honest here: WoW is absolutely not newbie friendly. Neither the game, nor the community. And Exile's Reach does not really help here. It takes years for a MMO newbie to learn to play the game properly and many give up before that, because lfg and lfr are toxic af. Try learning how to tank in a random group, I dare you.

And people would not be angry, same as they are not angry about guild tabards now. They either like the guild hall, or they ignore it. It must not be an integral part of the game, but a place to show off your guild's achievements and provide some sense of community. Also you could have every guild member have their own room within the guild hall, so they have something to decorate on their own. And in a functioning guild every active member will somewhat have a say in the design of the guild hall. There are plenty of possibilities to explore here; way more than player housing offers (because Garrisons are player housing and somehow the core concept of those does not qualify as "housing" for some).

tl;dr
    Strengthening guilds is easy for Blizz to do and offers solutions to many problems players and Blizzard faces now. Low effort, high reward. But guilds are outside of Blizzard's control, so maybe that's why they do not want to strengthen guilds.
    Yeah I agree with you there. It would be a tool to strengthen guilds and make players come togethere. Im just not sure if its going to work in todays gaming world. Maybe as you said - a bit of both. Guild house and a part that is your own.

Sadly I feel like WoW's time to add this has come and gone. The current Devs would never put in the time and effort to make it worth it. The players that want it would just be unhappy with it, and those that didn't care would see it as a waste of time. No one would be happy.

The only MMO I've ever played that I thought housing was done correctly was SWG. Literally every item in the game could be put in one, players spent countless hours on them, and you could put them practically anywhere. Even then it had it's own issues that really were never solved.

That said it's pretty easy to avoid the pitfalls that Garrisons had. For one it wouldn't be used for gameplay and two you don't allow any chat channels besides Guildchat or whispers to function in them. Finally you don't allow access to the AH in them either.