Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    You make it sound like a bad thing that they didnt waste resources on housing.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Tronski View Post
    Demonstrate with proof then.
    uhm,cata had a huge zone revamp,and we saw them presenting the early plans for cata were huge when it came to raiding content,and it ended up being cut more than half,and dragon soul used all existing models,including the zone

wod was the first epxansion to have 2 tiers only,and even the graveyard in the garrison had a joke grave saying something like rip raid tier

also its not called milking content when you have more content vs less,yeah the progression systems were more...ehm...progressive?over time,you know there is a reason why wod and cata are seen as the worst expansions

and wile i personaly did like wod,i still wish it had more content,i was siting there every major patch thinking....oh...more is coming for sure....until i realised that this was it i was left in pure shock

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    All wod cut content:

1. The scrapped interior of Karabor
    2. The Chronal Spire, Tanaan and Farahlon
    3. Fungal Whale World Boss
    4. Shattrath Raid
    5. Zangermarsh Zone
    6. Unfinished Battlegrounds/Arenas
    7. All cut Garrison content [From what we KNOW]
    8. Bladespire Citadel
    9. Ages of War Await
    10. Early Gorgrond
    11. Blood Elf Models.
    12. Yrel's Dark Secret
    13. Feral Worgen storyline in Shadowmoon Valley.
    14. Maraad & Yrel relationship and more
    15. Flying
    16. Tabard Tab
    17. Ogre Island and Unnamed Large Southern Continent
    18. Medivh Cameo
    19. Gorehowl Legendary Weapon
    20. Grommash Hellscream End Boss
    21. Broken Horn Village
    22. Unused Hairstyles
    23. Kargath Survives
    24. Ancient Rylaks
    25. Orgrim Doomhammer Plot
    26. Trial of the Gladiator and Class Accessories

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...rds-of-Draenor

Thanks @TheramoreIsTheBomb

There was also a whole raid tier missing, a grave stone near the garrison has a memorial to the lost raid tier with the name Ray d tear on it.
    @deenman sorry to jump in.
    jump in all you want,also you didnt mention cata...cata also had HUGE cut content,we saw their presentation before cata launched with all their plans regarding raiding,less than half made it in,and dragon soul had all re-used assets,and if im not mistaken the team has never been bigger than it was in cata(dont quote me could be wrong but im remembering something about this)

Quote Originally Posted by confety View Post
    Wow does not need that as well as it didnt need pet battles, garrisons, transmog, multiple difficulty levels and a whole list of things the game did not have when suscription numbers where on the rise.

They will do it if they want, the same way they implemented other things to the game some people wanted and some did not.
    I'd be willing to wager that more people care about transmog than raiding

Never happening, wow is the low effort fast food mmo. At best you get one time garbage like garrison, which gets nothing and get discarded for the next expansion for the "next low effort perk."

I tried housing in ESO and I just couldn't be bothered to do the virtual equivalent of decorating a toy dollhouse. It's just not my thing. Sure, they looked cool, but ultimately they just became additional spots for me to use to teleport around the world.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JavelinJoe View Post
    Saying just ignore it is the same flawed logic so many people seem to display. Its the principle that counts. WoW is the most expensive mainstream game in the world to play, purely based on payment made to the company that run it. And you STILL dont get all the content.
    I would argue that your principle is logically flawed though, on a number of levels. I do not believe for one second that your objection to the shop is based on reasonable grounds, but is attributable rather to an overly zealous and flawed view you have chosen to adopt.

Yes, WoW is a fairly expensive game to play. But by the same token it also provides a lot of content. Per hour spent on the game, I would argue that WoW is likely one of the least expensive games to play. Regardless, you cannot reasonably deny the monumental amount of work that goes into making (and running) this game. The cost (relative to other games) is well justified.

Secondly, your complaint that we have to pay (the shop) for some of the "content" is quite ridiculous. What the shop offers is fluff. If some of the actual game content was locked behind an additional pay wall, then I could probably agree with you.

dont even suggest putting more stuff in the store when every player should be screaming for them to stop selling off game items on the side.
    No. Seriously, NO.

I realise that you believe that you're fighting a righteous battle here, but you're horribly misguided and what you're proposing would do far more harm than good. It's like a person living off welfare fighting for lower taxes. Shop sales makes up a significant chunk of the game's total revenue. Without it, one of two things would happen:
    1) The development budget would be significantly cut
    2) They would increase the subscription rates significantly

At least with the shop, people like you and me can play the game and all the content at a significantly discounted rate because whales are funding the balance.

Not sure what you dont understand about the principle that triple dipping peoples pockets is wrong. Not sure what you dont understand about the fact that when you pay upfront cost for access to an expansion, plus 15 dollars a month subscription to play/support future development that they're then putting content they create with that money in another store you need to make another payment for isnt wrong.
    As I said, using the store is entirely optional. So your entire argument here falls apart because there is no need to spend any money on the shop at all.

Also, stop using the term "triple dipping". Because that term implies that you're essentially paying for the same thing multiple times. The reality is that you're actually paying for very different things.

Even if this is true, it dosent change the fact that a) artist talent is being taken away from the main team to work on content that requires a third payment to access, and b) artists making unique mounts are using valuable idea's and concepts up that then cannot be done again for in game items.
    Artists who likely wouldn't have a job at all if it wasn't for the shop.

This idea that the shop is robbing the game of development resources is so short sighted that it utterly amazes me that anyone actually believes it. Tell me, what exactly do you think would happen to the development team if suddenly the game lost (total thumb suck here) 25% of it's total revenue?

In what world would mr Bobby Kottick choose to reduce the profit margin of the game (and more importantly, his bonus) in order to maintain the staff complement working on the game? Certainly not this one. There would be massive budget cuts, good people would lose their jobs, and WoW as game would start it's final death spiral.

But sure, let's fight for principles based on knee-jerk responses and gut feelings rather than thinking things through!

Example. They make a 'ghost ram', that ghost ram might look awesome to me, my favorite mount, but now, because they put one in the store, they will never be able to put one that looks like taht in game as a drop.
    Well if they laid off a third of their art staff because it was no longer financially viable to keep them on, you'd not only never see that ghost ram drop in the game, but a bunch of other shit too.

Its greed. I fail to see how you or anyone else cant see that. WoW is a ridiculously expensive game and they triple dip their playerbases pockets in a way that is shameful.
    You're conflating different issues. I won't even disagree with you that ActiBlizzard is greedy, and that people like Bobby Kottick are shameful in their pursuit of that greed. But that isn't the fault of the shop. Nor would it change if the shop didn't exist. And quite frankly, this isn't even an issue about WoW or Blizzard, it's a fundamental problem with rampant capitalism in society - which is the topic of entirely different debate that I have little interest in getting into here or now.

Even if Blizzard did reduce their profit margin to a more reasonable level, I would still support the existence of the shop as part of the revenue, preferring instead to see discounts on the monthly subscription fees and that of the boxed set. Or better yet, I'd like to see the staff at Blizzard get better pay, and maybe more content added to the game.

Any way you look at it, the triple pronged revenue stream is good for us:

- Paying for the game ensures that everyone who plays contributes
    - Paying subscription ensures that people who play more, contribute more
    - Having a shop places a portion of the financial burden onto willing payers and helps keep costs down for the rest of us
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2020-09-29 at 04:48 PM.

housing is not popular

As this forum and topic alone demonstrates, WoW players are too fucking retarded to even take care of themselves, let alone a pretend house. It's a great idea, but it would overwhelm the vast majority of MMO-C tongue-chewers.

Yeah, it's odd.
    Housing in Wildstar was a blast and I just loved collecting stuff for it and improving it here and there.
    Same in SWtOR.

Wish WoW could have something like that and as the OP says, it's all there already or most of it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    uhm,cata had a huge zone revamp,and we saw them presenting the early plans for cata were huge when it came to raiding content,and it ended up being cut more than half,and dragon soul used all existing models,including the zone

wod was the first epxansion to have 2 tiers only,and even the graveyard in the garrison had a joke grave saying something like rip raid tier

also its not called milking content when you have more content vs less,yeah the progression systems were more...ehm...progressive?over time,you know there is a reason why wod and cata are seen as the worst expansions

and wile i personaly did like wod,i still wish it had more content,i was siting there every major patch thinking....oh...more is coming for sure....until i realised that this was it i was left in pure shock

- - - Updated - - -

jump in all you want,also you didnt mention cata...cata also had HUGE cut content,we saw their presentation before cata launched with all their plans regarding raiding,less than half made it in,and dragon soul had all re-used assets,and if im not mistaken the team has never been bigger than it was in cata(dont quote me could be wrong but im remembering something about this)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    All wod cut content:

1. The scrapped interior of Karabor
    2. The Chronal Spire, Tanaan and Farahlon
    3. Fungal Whale World Boss
    4. Shattrath Raid
    5. Zangermarsh Zone
    6. Unfinished Battlegrounds/Arenas
    7. All cut Garrison content [From what we KNOW]
    8. Bladespire Citadel
    9. Ages of War Await
    10. Early Gorgrond
    11. Blood Elf Models.
    12. Yrel's Dark Secret
    13. Feral Worgen storyline in Shadowmoon Valley.
    14. Maraad & Yrel relationship and more
    15. Flying
    16. Tabard Tab
    17. Ogre Island and Unnamed Large Southern Continent
    18. Medivh Cameo
    19. Gorehowl Legendary Weapon
    20. Grommash Hellscream End Boss
    21. Broken Horn Village
    22. Unused Hairstyles
    23. Kargath Survives
    24. Ancient Rylaks
    25. Orgrim Doomhammer Plot
    26. Trial of the Gladiator and Class Accessories

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...rds-of-Draenor

Thanks @TheramoreIsTheBomb

There was also a whole raid tier missing, a grave stone near the garrison has a memorial to the lost raid tier with the name Ray d tear on it.
    @deenman sorry to jump in.
    I assumed you were among the "nothing to do"-mob. Seems we were talking about different kinds of content missing.
    You are completely right in the statement that a lot of content was cut from Cata and WoD. But all expansions will get ideas cut, that's just how it is.
    WoD did have 3 raid tiers, not 2. Highmaul, foundry and citadel.
    Last edited by Tronski; 2020-09-29 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Seriously; Blizzard is more than happy to rip-off good ideas, and usually refines them to be even better than the source of inspiration. But for whatever reason, the closest thing to even an *attempt* as housing was the half-assed Garrisons, which offered nearly zero customization of any kind.

The thing that makes this so crazy to me, is that this is SUCH an easy "Win" for Blizzard.

Think about it; they have over FIFTEEN YEARS of ALREADY-EXISTING ASSETS they could use. No, it's not as simple as flipping a switch, but it's a damn good start.

Just like Transmogrifaction, Housing is more than just "the feature itself", but also represents SOMETHING NEW TO DO. People would immediately begin farming for House-items.

Old dungeons and raids? Tradeskills? Archeology? All of these could be sources of house items.

And hell, they could even add more shit to the Cash Shop, provided it isn't the ONLY outlet for cool shit.

Furthermore, Housing is a HUGELY COMPELLING FEATURE FOR MANY GAMERS. No, no everybody cares about Housing. But there are enough that it's clearly a trend for virtually (literally?) every other MMO on the market to have incorporated one.

My personal advice? I'd track down every single person who worked on WildStar's Housing system and hire them on the spot. WildStar may have failed as an MMO, but its Housing system set a new, unprecedented standard for what was possible in a Housing system.

Blizzard could do whatever they want with the details. Maybe it's a solo-instance, or maybe they do "shared settlements" like FFXIV where you also see other players' houses. Maybe each character gets their own house, or maybe it's one per server or even per account. Maybe they're free, or maybe they cost a ton of gold. Maybe they're limited, maybe they're not.

Point is, it would be a truly meaningful feature to the game, and there is no real downside. At worse, "some people won't be into it". Some people aren't into PvP, either, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't support it.

Like I said, above all else, it just gives people shit to DO again. Even if you aren't great at PvP, or maybe you can't Raid often, decorating your place could be a huge motivation to keep playing and maybe branch out into content you ordinarily wouldn't have.
    Because it's a stupid idea and does not fit WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    They can't, it would cost a raid tier.

Stop comparing Garrisons to Player Housing.

Garrisons are legit a 3-D Version of a facebook farmville game. It is not Player Housing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelthon
    do i wanting my cat come the expansion due to signifying a reroll fresh scratch the night elf mage?

Quote Originally Posted by Tronski View Post
    I assumed you were among the "nothing to do"-mob. Seems we were talking about different kinds of content missing.
    You are completely right in the statement that a lot of content was cut from Cata and WoD. But all expansions will get ideas cut, that's just how it is.
    WoD did have 3 raid tiers, not 2. Highmaul, foundry and citadel.
    highmaul and foundry were suposed to be in the same patch,and even the gear looks the same,also..yeah every expansion has some cut content,but cata and wod were above the rest by some crazy margins,atleast from what we know

You can play the Sims if you want to decorate your virtual house.

wod was the first epxansion to have 2 tiers only,and even the graveyard in the garrison had a joke grave saying something like rip raid tier)
    WoD had 3 tiers:
    Highmaul
    Blackrock Foundry
    Hellfire Citadel.

- - - Updated - - -

highmaul and foundry were suposed to be in the same patch,and even the gear looks the same,also..yeah every expansion has some cut content,but cata and wod were above the rest by some crazy margins,atleast from what we know
    But they weren't. Spo, WoD had 3 tiers. Supposed to's don't matter.

I read the title in british accent so it became "-fookin buh-naarghnaahs" instead of f*cking bananas

On topic, yeah it would be cool to have a guildhousing where people could hangout, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    You can play the Sims if you want to decorate your virtual house.
    That argument is on the same level as "You can play csgo if you want to play pvp".

First of all not having a house while being a champion is kinda immersion breaking. Imagine killing titans, gods, ancient evils, surviving cataclysms etc and still not owning a house.

Second it serves as time and gold sink the same way pet battles are adding value to the game, just because you don't want it doesnt mean it wouldn't add value to game.

Third, its actually fairly easy to implement and can give a value to old content - running old content can drop decorations.

So as for time to implement vs value gained its actually one of the best features to add to game. And it would survive more than one tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Personally I'm pretty glad Blizzard hasn't wasted any resources on Housing.
    considering they've pretty much copied ideas from every other mmo out there (mostly FF14), i'm impressed that the only things they've left alone from FF14 is player housing and being able to play all classes on 1 character

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Seriously; Blizzard is more than happy to rip-off good ideas, and usually refines them to be even better than the source of inspiration. But for whatever reason, the closest thing to even an *attempt* as housing was the half-assed Garrisons, which offered nearly zero customization of any kind.

The thing that makes this so crazy to me, is that this is SUCH an easy "Win" for Blizzard.
    Love it how non-programmers think these things are just so easy to implement without any problems whatsoever. If it was easy, it probably would have been done already. The fact that it hasn't means that the issue is bigger than you imagine it to be and there are likely many more pitfalls that Blizzard devs would rather NOT deal with.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.