Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I dont care much about player housing. But I would like a account wide reagent bank instead of sending mats between characters by mail all the time.

However, most people who play the game care mostly about pets, mounts, transmog, hairstyles etc, so I assume that housing would bring more people the game and be fun for most people in the playerbase.

So I don't see a huge problem with implementing it.

Also, the best MMO after WOW which is SWTOR has a very extensive playerhousing where its basically like playing SIMS in the game where you can move furniture around and hang up paintings and everything. Seems to be quite a success there.

just tell the number crunchers how big of a MTX cashcow player housing can be we'll get it in no time.

Btw, great idea from me now. Almost had an revelation. Give players housing. But put the house inside the Garrison!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    just tell the number crunchers how big of a MTX cashcow player housing can be we'll get it in no time.
    I can see people spending tons of money from the ingame shop on furniture for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tesshin20 View Post
    Btw, great idea from me now. Almost had an revelation. Give players housing. But put the house inside the Garrison!
    As long as we can actually customize it, sure. I don't really care where it is.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Actually this is false. I mean they're even talking about the Garrison here where you can do just that.

That said I agree that calling it "immersion breaking" is a weak argument, especially since Blizzard has given zero shits about that for over a decade. I want housing because it's another style of cosmetic progression, because I think it would be fun. I've long since realized it's never going to happen since virtually anything that isn't directly related to mechanical progression will never see the light of day.

Maybe once Blizzard gets a little more desperate we'll see housing, but I doubt it, sadly.
    Actually what is false, you quoted my entire post and then basically agreed with me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosha View Post
    Actually what is false, you quoted my entire post and then basically agreed with me lol.
    There is literally an outhouse in the Garrison, lol. I don't hold it against you if you forgot or didn't care about this.

Either way, I agreed that calling it 'immersion breaking' was kind of foolish but for a different reason than you. I've hated immersion breaking for years, and while this might also be immersion breaking, Blizzard hasn't done anything for this game's immersion in years (at least not without doing things to make it worse overall).

Also I actually support housing, which I kind of doubt you do. But I could be wrong? I mean, I'm just saying here. I'm not saying you're against it, though. My point is that we need to be realistic about our arguments for housing, because calling it 'immersion breaking' to not have a house isn't gonna fly.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2020-09-30 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    There is literally an outhouse in the Garrison, lol.
    You really are going to take what I said seriously aren't you lol. The point I was making is that you don't need something like this to be immersed and using that argument is pointless because you can go around and pick apart the entire game and say "THIS IS IMMERSION BREAKING HERE SEE LOOK". I wasn't actually suggesting that not dumping is immersion breaking dude lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosha View Post
    You really are going to take what I said seriously aren't you lol. The point I was making is that you don't need something like this to be immersed and using that argument is pointless because you can go around and pick apart the entire game and say "THIS IS IMMERSION BREAKING HERE SEE LOOK". I wasn't actually suggesting that not dumping is immersion breaking dude lol.
    I was making a joke, I mean I even said that Blizzard gave zero shits, lol.

I'm just sayin'!
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2020-09-30 at 05:51 PM.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to see a housing system like UO with deeds to houses or castles that can be put down in the open world. Just assign certain areas as available. There are vast tracts of empty space that could be used for this, especially after the Cata redesign. It would actually help fill in those areas and make them feel more alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Donald View Post
    I'd like to see a housing system like UO with deeds to houses or castles that can be put down in the open world. Just assign certain areas as available. There are vast tracts of empty space that could be used for this, especially after the Cata redesign. It would actually help fill in those areas and make them feel more alive.
    Big nope to this from me. Space would be super limited and would make the world feel a lot smaller than it already is. I want housing, but not like this, just make it instanced. Either neighborhoods like FFXIV did, or individually instanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
    Wow was massively popular without Transmog and many many other things. Your argument is invalid.
    NO it isn't. WoW does not need Transmog either. Blizzard putting it in the game does not mean it needs or would tank without it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    WoW isn't more popular because of its lack of housing. WoW is more popular because it was the biggest and most well realized fantasy world translated to MMO in its time and has 20+ years of loyal fans and many expansions worth of sunk cost fallacy keeping players coming back and preventing them from leaving the game for other games, though even that is changing. FFXIV is quickly catching up to WoW while WoW does nothing but lose players because of Blizzards insistence on stretching players play times with arbitrary grinds because they're incapable of thinking up actually engaging systems and content that isn't timegated to hell.
    I never said it was popular because it didn't have housing. I said it is a massive DESPITE no housing. And no FFXIV is not catching up to WoW.

Also, FFXIV has all of those raids, dungeons and extra optional content as well as an incredibly robust housing system and community. What's even more is that they add new content like raids, dungeons and reputations that don't feel like shit to work towards as well as new housing items and customizations with every major and many of the minor patches. Even with their much more impressive patch release schedules they still find the time to engage with their community and do livestreams every month if not even more frequently to stay in touch with their players. Meanwhile here we all are, still waiting on a release date for pre-patch with zero communication from Blizzard while there's still tons of bugs and unfinished content from Shadowlands.
    Then go play FFXIV since you love it so much.

Housing would give myself and I would wager many other players renewed interest in the game and add hundreds of hours of new gameplay to the game. The fact that people are still railing against it because of this shitty "hurr durr me no like so other players shouldn't have it either" mentality is ridiculous. I despise M+ after two expansions of needlessly tedious trash in dungeons but you won't hear me advocating for the discontinuation of M+ because I understand that some people enjoy that content above all other forms of content in the game.
    That isn't the mentality at all. What we are saying the game is fine as is. They should not be wsating resources on something that only a vocal minority will care about and try to come up with something that the majority will love.

10+ Year Old Account
    Player housing can be done well, I visited player homes in FFXIV, but at the same time having people cloistered in their instanced homes does take away from making the outdoor game world feel busier. I really don't think WoW needs PoH. Or even guild halls. I love the fact that all the necessities are in major city hubs, which forces players to congregate and populates places.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Then you die due to exhaustion so not really, hard to imagine not sleeping and not having a place to stay.
    Good thing there are these things already in game called inns. You don't need a home to have a place to stay.

Yes it guarantees it, and pet battles have added tremendous value to game either whatever you like it or not, proof is the amout of work people put into making strategies, combos, external websites, addons etc. This is value and it means it draws people in.
    It hardly draws people in. Player numbers sure as heck didn't increase when it was implemented.

Yes, 15 years professional senior developer. Garrisons weren't focused on having blocks of decorations put in in square places, garrisons were completely different feature.
    I highly doubt you have worked on anything the scope of WoW.

Easiest way to implement housing is to have a grid of AxB blocks that you can put prefabs on, maybe with specific rotation, system that indie developers do themselves in free games.
    This isn't an indy game. This is far more complex game to work with what with all the edits of code over the last 15 years.It is nowhere near as easy as you are trying to claim.

i
    t is a fact, not opinion. It would give tons of value as most other games that has similar systems showed and it is easy to implement because I actually know how to do it.
    No it is opinion, and no you don't know how to do it because you have never worked on WoW before.

First of all WoW has tons of prefabs already in game such as chairs, tables, drawers, beds, rugs etc. So that part is basically done.
    Second part is editor system that allows players to put specific prefab (or model) into a predefined squares into map.

And its neither complicated nor hard to implement.
    Unless you have actually worked on the game, then you have no idea. You don't know how they have things set up. If it was as easy as you claim, it would already be in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    I guess blizzard didnt figure out yet you can make money out of housing.
    Bobby I have an amazing idea for wow. What if we gave every player his own virtual house and asked for an extra subscription price as rent ?
    Or make some kind of 99$ lootboxes that could drop amazing decorations for that rented virtual house ?
    No Bobby ofcourse we would rig the drop rates like we do with all other similar systems we have.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    NO it isn't. WoW does not need Transmog either. Blizzard putting it in the game does not mean it needs or would tank without it.

- - - Updated - - -

I never said it was popular because it didn't have housing. I said it is a massive DESPITE no housing. And no FFXIV is not catching up to WoW.

Then go play FFXIV since you love it so much.

That isn't the mentality at all. What we are saying the game is fine as is. They should not be wsating resources on something that only a vocal minority will care about and try to come up with something that the majority will love.
    "WoW sets itself apart by not having housing." Was what you said, which is not what sets itself apart from the other MMOs. The gameplay is what sets WoW apart from other MMOs. Housing is just something that WoW lacks that sets itself apart as one of the most well established MMOs to ever exist that still somehow lacks housing.

I have an active sub to both FFXIV and WoW. It's possible to enjoy and praise/criticize both.

Housing in FFXIV is so highly sought after that there are ZERO plots left on most servers. There's more demand than there is supply. The only reason it's not on most of WoW players radars is because Blizzard fucked up their attempt at "housing" so badly that players don't have any faith in their ability to do such content correctly. Housing in any MMO that offers it is ALWAYS highly engaged in by players. Just look at transmog, it's the same shit but only on a much more shallow level. People want to customize something of their own to show off to friends. Garrisons were the antithesis of customizable, character controlled content.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Because people believe it'd "take people away" from hubs, like the Garrison did... people were hanging out there instead of in Orgrimmar and Stormwind...
    jokes on them, i still hang out at my garrison. Now with a big boy mount. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by scelero View Post
    jokes on them, i still hang out at my garrison. Now with a big boy mount. Love it.
    What, you still don't have the AH at trade outpost in your Garrison? SLACKER!!!

So uh, maybe i should make a new thread for this, but what do you guys think of the following:

Rather than just a house they add a new area to the capital cities by whatever means, in said area you get to place buildings like in the garisson, except they all have doors now, so that while out on the street you see everyone while the inside of buildings are left just to those who have placed buildings similarly to you.

You'd get to customise all of it in various ways, but said unlocks/aesthetics/etcera only show for you unless someone is in your party.

And if that's not enough you could also add your own fully customisable instanced house in this player district, even if i'm not sure what that'd actually add.

Technically it might be difficult, but it has always saddened me that they seem to fail to integrate Warcraft's rts roots in the game (i was deeply disappointed by warfronts...), so this seems like a secondary way to at least allow some building.
    Last edited by loras; 2020-09-30 at 10:45 PM. Reason: buildongs lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    "WoW sets itself apart by not having housing." Was what you said, which is not what sets itself apart from the other MMOs. The gameplay is what sets WoW apart from other MMOs. Housing is just something that WoW lacks that sets itself apart as one of the most well established MMOs to ever exist that still somehow lacks housing.
    That is not what I said. I siad is has been massively popular despite the fact it does not need housing. This whole notion that WoW absolutely has to have housing because everyone else does is absurd. You could also say that without housing, none of those games are as successful as they are, which means the gap between those games and WoW is even more massive.

I have an active sub to both FFXIV and WoW. It's possible to enjoy and praise/criticize both.
    There is a difference between that and "OMG, WoW absolutely has to have housing because everyone else does".

Housing in FFXIV is so highly sought after that there are ZERO plots left on most servers. There's more demand than there is supply. The only reason it's not on most of WoW players radars is because Blizzard fucked up their attempt at "housing" so badly that players don't have any faith in their ability to do such content correctly. Housing in any MMO that offers it is ALWAYS highly engaged in by players. Just look at transmog, it's the same shit but only on a much more shallow level. People want to customize something of their own to show off to friends. Garrisons were the antithesis of customizable, character controlled content.
    So? The fact that WoW does not need housing to be massively successful is what makes it an even more amazing accomplishment. The fact the other games need to rely on a crutch like that to continue to exist is an indictment of their creativity or lack thereof.

Also to say Garrisons were not customizable is false. You could choose what buidlng you wanted in it. You could choose what accomplishments you wanted to show off through etc. I was changing things all the time. There wasn't a lot of customization, but there was some customization. Trust me, I was showing it off to friends.

"Housing wouldnt take away from other content"
    ...WoD is the only expansion to have only two tiers. You live in lala land if you think it wont take away from the actual game.