Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I love the argument how player housing will stop devs from designing cool new stuff for the game.

Like Azerite Armor, covenants, titanforging, RNG legendaries, essence grind, corruptions or the placeholder new borrowed power system for every single expansion that carries no consequences on the next.

I say bring player housing if this is the things they are designing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    I never claimed to be. But garrisons are most definitely NOT housing. By definition a garrison is - the troops stationed in a fortress or town to defend it. It's a collective of troops and buildings meant for a very specific purpose, not personalization and customization. That's what was reflected in game as well. It's a gameplay focused feature rather than the latter.
    Yet here you are trying to arbitrate what housing is. YOu made an arbitrary definition to make sure Garrisons don't fit to make your narrative.

I'm not demeaning anyone. I'm advocating for a feature that many people would enjoy and you're poo-pooing it because you don't believe it's something that's worthwhile even though there are many people that disagree with you. Not everyone is going to agree on the issue but to be outright dismissive of peoples interests is more demeaning than anything I've said and nowhere near as demeaning as your "playing house", comments that you've made to try and dismiss my points. It's not like I'm advocating for Blizzard to cut development time on other content in favor of housing. I'm advocating for having both, which has been proven to be possible by other MMOs.
    Yes you are. You are basically saying that you and people who agree with you are the only ones who count. You also ignore that many people disagree with you. Also, you are not going to get both. They have a budget they have to stick to. That means all the time and resources spent on housing is taken away from the rest of the game. You don't get to spend whatever you want.

I'm sorry if you consider sitting AFK in Boralus while waiting for queues to be hanging out. When do players gather to do things outside of instanced content outside of RP realms? Even while doing world content the vast majority of players completely ignore each other or flat out work against each other.
    You know nothing about me. And once again you are aribitraily deciding what the definition of hanging out is to fit your narrative.

I've never claimed any of my opinions as fact, other than that Garrisons were not housing. What I was saying is that you completely disregard anything that isn't from WoW as a waste of time because apparently WoW is better because of its lack of housing. You're doing exactly what you're accusing me of as well by completely dismissing any kind of notion that housing would be good for anyone because of your personal preference of not wanting housing.
    Thanks for admitting you actually did try to make your opinion fact. ANd again, you are falsely ascribing motives to me and ignoring why we are really against it. I told you why I am against housing and once again you put the same words into my mouth that I never said. You pull out al that nosense time and time again simply because your your personal preference of wanting housing.

Let me shift back to advocating for housing by providing some examples of how housing benefits the entirety of the game.

First off, housing items in XIV can be obtained from nearly every form of content in the game. From low level quests and dungeons to end game raids. Not only does this encourage going back to older content to farm for some of these items, it also creates a huge market of housing items for people that would rather spend their time making gil. I have personally made millions of gil from flipping valuable housing items and orchestrion rolls.

Orchestrion rolls are another great example of an aspect of housing that further allows people to enjoy the great music in the game. There are hundreds of songs available and once learned can be added to an orchestrion in a player owned home. Everyone has their own playlist that shows off their taste for the in game music and it's really fucking awesome to just hang out in your home and enjoy some of the amazing music that the game has to offer.

Another great boon of housing is the fact that many of the housing items can only be crafted by pretty much every profession in the game. New patches, even minor ones regularly add highly sought after housing items to the crafting and dungeon loot tables which can fetch ridiculous amounts of gil. Getting in on the rush can result in millions upon millions of gil which can be further used for other aspects of the game.

Lastly and perhaps one of the most exciting aspects of housing in XIV is that it's possible to have tenants with permissions that can be granted to customize the shared home as well. This results in a huge market for professional home decorators to practice their favorite form of content which for a lot of people is housing. People pay tens of millions to have interior designers make their homes look beautiful. Housing is personally one of my favorite forms of content in the game and is the only reason I still have an active sub to FFXIV currently.
    So they have no time to create any other content for players who don't want to ahve anything to do with housing because everything be wasted on your housing. You will be forced to do that stuff or have nothing to do.

Just because housing isn't something that you feel is worthwhile doesn't mean that it wouldn't be for many other players. Being so dismissive about the feature is honestly pretty disrespectful, especially your little "playing house" comments. It's something that some people take very seriously and is a huge draw for more creatively minded players that prefer content that isn't mindlessly repeating the same dungeons over and over again. Just think of the overlap that it would have with players that are obsessed with transmog for example.
    The being disrepectful is you. You have repeatedly put words in my mouth and miisrepresented my arguments. You have repeatedly had the attitude of "I'm right and everyone who disagrees with me is wrong. Just because housing its worthwhile for you doesn't mean it is wothhwile for everyone or worthwhile for the game. I want them creating content like Torghast, MOP type scenarios, Open world content. not Sims BS.

We are adventurers. Not interior decorators. You have plenty of other games that have it. Go play those games. Let WoW continue to focus on the content that has made them the most successful MMO in history

Oh, you mean the constant and overwhelmingly disruptive carry advertisements in trade chat?
    I don't use trade chat. It's not the only channel there is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oblakoff View Post
    I love the argument how player housing will stop devs from designing cool new stuff for the game.

Like Azerite Armor, covenants, titanforging, RNG legendaries, essence grind, corruptions or the placeholder new borrowed power system for every single expansion that carries no consequences on the next.

I say bring player housing if this is the things they are designing.
    That stuff is far better than player housing because it atleat has an effect on actually playing the game and not playing interior decorator.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Renedric View Post
    A garrison was more like a city, with NPCs vendors, target dummies and daily objectives. It was basically a hub that provided players the bare minimum of "necessities", keeping them closed in. Housing is far simpler than that
    The only mistake garrisons made were offering a bank, AH, and the mine/herb garden. If they had not put those thing in, people would have not been in their garrisons all the time. And no housing is not far simpler than that. The Housing you want will take far more resources than Garrisons did.

Field Marshal Phyrexia-KulTiras's Avatar
    3+ Year Old Account
    Garrisons are a bad example of a housing system. I believe it was Lineage 2 who had castles you could conquer with your guild? Something like that would create some real world pvp events.

Or something like a guild hall would be cool (hanging with guild members). Maybe a few big towns where you can buy property. I know i'd go beserk on something like that.

Point is that there are ways to create a community with housing, instead of isolation like the garrison.

Psst blizz if you read this, think of all the micro tran$action$$$$!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    I agree completely and that's basically what I said in my last post. Peoples view of housing is so narrow and damaged by the disaster that was garrisons and it's really frustrating to read some peoples takes on the feature here.
    My view has zero to do with garrisons no matter how many times you lie by claiming otherwise. What is truly frustrating is your inability to accept that not everyone is going to agree with you no matter how much you insult them or demean them,by implying they are wrong if they don't want housing.

It would be crap if they tried. While wow remains a great game, the wow team seems to be extremely inefficient at producing content so I think a wow housing system would find a way to take up months or years of development and be dry/boring.

The only mmo I know of that really did housing right was Ultima Online, housing was a major part of the game for both pve and pvp and right in the dynamic game world but doing that in a 3d modern mmo would be extremely challenging.

One of the features I enjoyed most about the garrison was having a place to display my archaeology finds, in a nice big room. Legion later had that same feature much more scaled down in a room in the Dalaran archaeology shop, but it didn't feel as nice.

The way I envision Housing in WoW, it would be a place you can customize with different racial themes, and you could unlock trophies, souvenirs or other mementos to decorate the walls and some pedestals. You could also have furniture that could be made by an entirely new profession called Carpentering (which would use wood as a ressource like the WoD lumber mill). You could also have tailors make carpets or tapestries, leatherworkers make some decorative furs, engineers make gadgets and stuff, blacksmiths make decorative armors, etc... I'm sure you see the pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Third, its actually fairly easy to implement and can give a value to old content - running old content can drop decorations.
    So much fun!

And talking about immersion breaking: Hey let's kill [insert badass boss], maybe he'll drop a candlestick or a new curtain for my house!

"Adding value to the game" lol are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    So much fun!

And talking about immersion breaking: Hey let's kill [insert badass boss], maybe he'll drop a candlestick or a new curtain for my house!

How is that different from killing the Lich King to get a pet or a selfie filter?

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Seriously; Blizzard is more than happy to rip-off good ideas, and usually refines them to be even better than the source of inspiration. But for whatever reason, the closest thing to even an *attempt* as housing was the half-assed Garrisons, which offered nearly zero customization of any kind.

The thing that makes this so crazy to me, is that this is SUCH an easy "Win" for Blizzard.

Think about it; they have over FIFTEEN YEARS of ALREADY-EXISTING ASSETS they could use. No, it's not as simple as flipping a switch, but it's a damn good start.

Just like Transmogrifaction, Housing is more than just "the feature itself", but also represents SOMETHING NEW TO DO. People would immediately begin farming for House-items.

Old dungeons and raids? Tradeskills? Archeology? All of these could be sources of house items.

And hell, they could even add more shit to the Cash Shop, provided it isn't the ONLY outlet for cool shit.

Furthermore, Housing is a HUGELY COMPELLING FEATURE FOR MANY GAMERS. No, no everybody cares about Housing. But there are enough that it's clearly a trend for virtually (literally?) every other MMO on the market to have incorporated one.

My personal advice? I'd track down every single person who worked on WildStar's Housing system and hire them on the spot. WildStar may have failed as an MMO, but its Housing system set a new, unprecedented standard for what was possible in a Housing system.

Blizzard could do whatever they want with the details. Maybe it's a solo-instance, or maybe they do "shared settlements" like FFXIV where you also see other players' houses. Maybe each character gets their own house, or maybe it's one per server or even per account. Maybe they're free, or maybe they cost a ton of gold. Maybe they're limited, maybe they're not.

Point is, it would be a truly meaningful feature to the game, and there is no real downside. At worse, "some people won't be into it". Some people aren't into PvP, either, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't support it.

Like I said, above all else, it just gives people shit to DO again. Even if you aren't great at PvP, or maybe you can't Raid often, decorating your place could be a huge motivation to keep playing and maybe branch out into content you ordinarily wouldn't have.
    Na blizzards shown many times that housing isn't possible with the dog shit servers they run on.
    They'd be too popular like garrisions that was their one and only attempt for a long time.
    Hopefully in a few expansions they'll try again but honestly i dont really care.. it'll never have all the stuff i want in it.. What a personal house would have to be like a garrsion.. with those features a scrapper if that makes a return and portals everywhere.. be a mage basically.
    Dragonflight Nerfs vs fun again show a Blizzard that hasn't learnt a lesson, Actions speak louder than words afterall watch what they do and do not do.

I remember when they implemented player housing in EverQuest back in the day. It was kinda dumb but it did have a fun flaw - if you placed an object on top of another object, then removed the first object, the second item would float in mid-air. I had some fun with this and made a gigantic 50 foot tall hand made out of bushes and shrubs giving the middle finger towards the house of a guildmate I didn't like. When she complained to me about it being immoral, I arranged skeletons on my lawn all having one big undead orgy.

If WoW housing allows for similar shenanigans I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post

- - - Updated - - -

That stuff is far better than player housing because it atleat has an effect on actually playing the game and not playing interior decorator.
    Yes, it affect how you play the game - by making it worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BALLS BALLS BALLS BALLS View Post
    Imagine caring this much about a virtual apartment in a video game.
    It is literally same as caring about gear or rating in a game... Just because something is achievement for you, it is not one for everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
    How is that different from killing the Lich King to get a pet or a selfie filter?
    Oh don't get me wrong, I think ALL that cosmetic stuff should be removed from boss loot table.

Quote Originally Posted by oblakoff View Post
    Yes, it affect how you play the game - by making it worse.
    No it doesn't. It makes it better by playing the actual game, not a Sims mini game. Torgahat is far superior to playing interior decorator.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    My view has zero to do with garrisons no matter how many times you lie by claiming otherwise. What is truly frustrating is your inability to accept that not everyone is going to agree with you no matter how much you insult them or demean them,by implying they are wrong if they don't want housing.
    Jesus christ since when is disagreeing with someone demeaning them? I responded to you with thoughtfully constructed posts and thoroughly explained reasoning behind my thinking and the only thing you can do is accuse me of being demeaning. Please tell me then where I demeaned you? The only person here who has said anything demeaning is you with your "playing house" comments insinuating that wanting to have customizable content somehow makes anyone with those interests childish. Either defend your stance with points of your own or stop responding to me with this bullshit about being demeaning.

It’s because the engine could not handle it, and Blizzard doesn’t want to put in the time that would be needed to make a GOOD housing system.

I would play WoW again if they had real player housing. But that is the only thing that would call me back.

Now I just play Rust which is 1000X better anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    On the second point... well, WoW didn't *start* with ANY of those things, other than PvP. Raids weren't there at launch, even the Trinity system is something players kind of settled into, as early-Vanilla showed a lot more signs of attempts to have actual Hybrid characters (I still remember being a Ret Pally who could serve as a pretty competent healer or tank, at least long enough to finish killing a boss if he was close).
    Trinity was not even a set thing in BC. The rule for Burning Crusade dungeons was:

1. If you had an undergeared team, then go 1 tank, 2 dps, 2 heals
    2. If you had a geared team, then go 1 tank, 3 dps, 1 heal
    3. If you had an overgeared team, then go 1 tank, 3 dps, 1 hybrid dps with some heals. Could even go 1 tank 4 dps and just have somebody with a heal button somewhere once in a while.

BC dungeons were very hard upon release because a lot of players just assumed they were supposed to go 1 tank, 3 dps and 1 heal and as a result did not have enough healing to overcome the lack of gear.

All of this nuance was destroyed once Blizzard decided to forcibly assign dungeon roles.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    So much fun!

Doesn't have to necessarily drop from him, you mite get to pick "decorations" of the ground after you kill some boss. Candelabra standing somewhere in the room, chest, painting, rug etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    It’s because the engine could not handle it, and Blizzard doesn’t want to put in the time that would be needed to make a GOOD housing system.

I would play WoW again if they had real player housing. But that is the only thing that would call me back.

Now I just play Rust which is 1000X better anyways.
    Engine can handle it since original WC3 could handle it as well lol. You realize that original RTS is essentially "the system" that would be needed right? Placing objects on the ground where the cursor is currently at.

Doesn't have to necessarily drop from him, you mite get to pick "decorations" of the ground after you kill some boss. Candelabra standing somewhere in the room, chest, painting, rug etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Engine can handle it since original WC3 could handle it as well lol. You realize that original RTS is essentially "the system" that would be needed right? Placing objects on the ground where the cursor is currently at.
    This is actually not a stupid idea - after the boss dies, you can "loot" the boss room - taking items that were visible during the encounter, but are now "lootable".

- - - Updated - - -

OOF. and then the second comment - couldnt disagree more, and shows EXTREME naivety.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    OOF. and then the second comment - couldnt disagree more, and shows EXTREME naivety.
    You can't disagree with facts. In fact such system already exists within a WoW. And it's not garrison.