Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Why are you allowed to cheat during raid testing?

People are equipping TBC gear with 3 gem slots/set bonuses because raid testing scales your gear up in ilvl.

Example:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ary&source=142

Why is this allowed?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it is called raid testing. They are doing something that is broken in testing so that Blizz will catch it and make sure it doesn't make it into the final product! Would rather have them do it here and make it visible than in the base game.

It gives Blizzard a wider range of feedback & allows people inclined to do so a chance to see more of the fight.

I don't really see the issue here.

TBC gear wont scale on live so that was never an issue making it to the final product. I guess they are more focussing on the mechanical bugs than tuning but i also find it odd that they let those gear tweaking fake the numbers.

Blizzard isn’t also looking at you and what you’re doing so to speak but more that the raid is behaving as intended mechanically. The gear isn’t anything important but breaking out of the hit range and surging if things you shouldn’t and also making sure the boss does the right mechanics in the right areas those are what the testing is more looking at

Quote Originally Posted by Magic gun 23 View Post
    Well, it is called raid testing. They are doing something that is broken in testing so that Blizz will catch it and make sure it doesn't make it into the final product! Would rather have them do it here and make it visible than in the base game.
    This. Its not like raids scale on live so it wouldnt be an issue anyway but its BETA testing why are you making a big deal about it OP?

Raid testing usually jacks up the healthbar on a boss by a ton. You aren't really meant to kill it. This does however sometimes mean values are super out of whack. The goal is not to beat the fight, it's to check that the fight works. This means anything goes as long as the testers can check the fight isn't completely busted, like for instance N'Zoth was during initial raid testing where you literally couldn't pull the boss in some raid testing.

And as others have also pointed out, yes, it also points out that the particular interaction is broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

While all of the above is true and it is mostly for the mechanical side of things, why not create an eviorment where u have comparable gear like it will be on live. So why not use that information besides the mechanical testing to use the information for some tuning adjustments. This would make the tuning hammer after hc week maybe a little lighter.

Hahahah jesus this is really scraping the barrel for things to make complaint threads about. "Cheating" by equipping gear that exists in the game already, lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    Hahahah jesus this is really scraping the barrel for things to make complaint threads about. "Cheating" by equipping gear that exists in the game already, lmao.
    In live it would absolutely be considered an exploit - but test realms are for testing, and finding such exploits is just as valuable as any other data they're pulling atm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

I think OPs concern is if they are using a means that isn't available on live, wont the tuning numbers be off because they cheated?
    Like WHY are they cheating with a method that will not be available on live on a TEST realm. It defeats the purpose of testing.

Quote Originally Posted by rhrrngt View Post
    I think OPs concern is if they are using a means that isn't available on live, wont the tuning numbers be off because they cheated?
    Like WHY are they cheating with a method that will not be available on live on a TEST realm. It defeats the purpose of testing.
    Numbers are not the primary concern during testing, mechanics are. Numbers will be adjusted based on many data, the one from raid testing on the PTR are only a small drop in a large sea of data.

What matters primarily in raid testing is do mechanics work as intended, do they sequence properly, are there ways to break them/cheese them/avoid them/etc., that sort of thing.

Blizzard undoubtedly have ways to track stat values. It's not like they're just going to see groups with their set iLvl doing 10%+ more damage & not understand why it's happening. If anything, like I said earlier, it gives them a wider range of feedback.

You're testing that the boss works, not the tuning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

Because it's raid testing. What even is this thread?
    Error 404 - Signature not found

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic gun 23 View Post
    They are doing something that is broken in testing so that Blizz will catch it and make sure it doesn't make it into the final product!
    Gear scaling is only applied for the PTR test so it was never going to be part of the final product anyway.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiyoKozuki View Post
    People are equipping TBC gear with 3 gem slots/set bonuses because raid testing scales your gear up in ilvl.

Example:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ary&source=142

Why is this allowed?
    because... it... it is a test...

so
    1. its beta, you can gladly exploit on there, blizz dont give a fucking shit, its the beta, you cna infinite copy chars and give yourself billions of gold, who fucking cares, as long as you arnt hacking.

2. people doing these exploits.... allows blizz to find and fix these...

did you really need to make a thread asking "why is this alowed" about players on a beta, using the beta's scaling to get op.

i can imagine you now.

"People are copying their live character onto the beta over ands over and over filling their bags with billions of gold, why is this allowed!?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    Not to mention "cheating" in a beta TEST.

It doesn't really make any sense. People are using systems that will not exist in the final product to do a lot of damage, making that test completely pointless cause it does not shed any light if a class or the boss is tuned properly. Even further it skews opinions of people who just watch damage meters on streams.

There has been many posts in these forums too about dps ranking lists of logs taken that have these things, which spawn more threads along the lines of "why is my dps spec not doing any damage".
    Last edited by Cthulhu fhtagn; 2020-09-29 at 06:56 AM.

I mean. Because it's testing?

People wear and do different things in beta/PTR to see if things work as intended, see if things are broken, and see if there are exploits that devs should catch.

This isn't a preview of a raid fight. It isn't a practice round to make sure the mechanics are nailed down before it goes live. I don't know why anyone wouldn't understand that bugs need to be caught in testing phases, by any means available to the player.
    Last edited by Destinas; 2020-09-29 at 06:58 AM.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.