Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiyoKozuki View Post
    People are equipping TBC gear with 3 gem slots/set bonuses because raid testing scales your gear up in ilvl.

Example:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ary&source=142

Why is this allowed?
    Imagine banning people for finding bugs in the beta. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic gun 23 View Post
    Well, it is called raid testing. They are doing something that is broken in testing so that Blizz will catch it and make sure it doesn't make it into the final product! Would rather have them do it here and make it visible than in the base game.
    No, the scaling is beta server only and won't be on live.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite92 View Post
    Imagine banning people for finding bugs in the beta. Yikes.
    That's not a bug, nice 4 chan meme.
    Last edited by ShiyoKozuki; 2020-09-29 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rhrrngt View Post
    I think OPs concern is if they are using a means that isn't available on live, wont the tuning numbers be off because they cheated?
    Like WHY are they cheating with a method that will not be available on live on a TEST realm. It defeats the purpose of testing.
    The goal is obviosuly to see as much of the fight as possible. To give the guild an edge in the race.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    Cheating on a beta server. They say we learn for a life time.

Most of the time the issues with raid bosses is halfway through or towards the end of the fight. With regular testing most groups usually only barely make it through so the bugs arent even observed. you can easily buy the gear of the live AH and transfer it to beta to raid test with too.

Ok let me tell you about the point of raid testing

It’s not to actually kill the boss....it’s to test mechanics. You can go in on that crazy shit because it works and it makes wiping for hours fun

Whitemend + Spellfire is going to make for some extremely annoying caster twinks.
    Already a few in the 70s bracket who are fucking problem.

Does OP not understand how wow works?

It will be interesting to infer based on how class balance is at launch, what impact this widespread exploit in testing had on the balance of the overall game and how aggressively blizzard will want to curtail similar practices in the future. Other than that however, the extra data gleaned from groups getting deeper into boss fights means it isn't a total loss to allow this to happen.

People are equipping TBC gear with 3 gem slots/set bonuses because raid testing scales your gear up in ilvl.

Example:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ary&source=142

Why is this allowed?
    because when it goes live that gear wont scale. this is literally a problem with the test scaling, not with the game.

[Rothulivic] [Twitch] [Twitter] Signature by Serryn

Quote Originally Posted by Mosha View Post
    Does OP not understand how wow works?
    They acknowledged in another thread that they do not play WoW and it's obvious it is a bored someone just trying to stir up shit. Just look at the post history.

Quote Originally Posted by Trend View Post
    They acknowledged in another thread that they do not play WoW and it's obvious it is a bored someone just trying to stir up shit. Just look at the post history.
    Well I mean I don't play wow either anymore, but this is just braindead logic lol. But I agree he is probably just bored or a moron. Either way w/e

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    ...but why is it a problem or shouldn't be allowed? People also go into TW dungeons with special sets / items and that isn't an exploit. If Blizzard makes dungeons or raids in a way that any gear scales (and even keeps gem sockets enabled), why would using gear that can be created or gotten in game be an exploit or should not be allowed?
    The same reason using engineering grenades in certain boss fights can get a whole guild banned. It's using a very specific item or strategy in a way which is obviously unintended to cheat the system. It's the definition of an exploit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Tbh, I'm not sure why Blizzard let's people use it. I don't see how it enhances the quality of the data they gather, since it's an entirely unrealistic use case that just adds more variables they need to account for later. But it needs to be mentioned that blizzard's raid testing is hardly the hallmark of quality preperation either. There are obvious bugs that they could have caught themselves before they waste a couple hundret people's time, but anyway, broken gear can help people to actually test as well (could be achieved with buffs though) for the cases where an encounter is so broken that tanks get insta-gibbed or unrealistic early DPS/HPS checks.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

No, the scaling is beta server only and won't be on live.
    You just answered your own question! well done! i knew you would get there yourself eventually!

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Yeah..I was thinking of that when I posted my reply and thought somebody might bring that up. But that doesn't make sense. The grenades caused the encounter to not proceed as intended.

Here we are talking about gear that you character equips, that is available. You are not bugging out any encounter, you are not preventing any mechanic to happen. You literally equip items. With a few gem sockets.

This explains nothing how it is cheating or an exploit. How is wearing gear with gem sockets from an earlier x-pac "using a very specific item or strategy in a way which is obviously unintended to cheat the system"?

- - - Updated - - -

See..this I can understand. When it goes live that gear wont scale. A problem with test scaling.

Doesn't make it an exploit and the whole outrage here ....strange.
    I mean there really isn't any "outrage" except from the op. Test servers are test servers, there's no reason to be upset about people testing stuff on them.

As to your question - are you trying to say that under normal circumstances you would equip a piece of BC gear before going into a raid?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

I mean testing isn't tuning... The fight is simply there to see if the boss mechanics don't actively break or can be bypassed. How much dmg, healing, mitigation you are doing is irrelevant.

How did so many repliers get confused about something so simple? Christ.

TBC gear won't scale up on live, this isn't about people "finding bugs to fix". The scaling only happens here.

For a real answer to the op: I assume the kind of people who beta test raids are so obsessed with numbers that even when it's in a testing environment that doesn't matter, they STILL feel like they need to min-max everything. It's pretty sad, really.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    I mean. Because it's testing?

People wear and do different things in beta/PTR to see if things work as intended, see if things are broken, and see if there are exploits that devs should catch.

This isn't a preview of a raid fight. It isn't a practice round to make sure the mechanics are nailed down before it goes live. I don't know why anyone wouldn't understand that bugs need to be caught in testing phases, by any means available to the player.
    Uh, gear won't scale on live, so your point is meaningless here. And it literally IS a practice round for the people doing it. That is why they are there. Do you really think people are raiding on beta to help test? They are there to get an edge.

Amazing that people still dont understand what "testing" means

This entire argument in itself is semantics. Cheating implies that someone is taking an advantage that isnt available to everyone, and that its a contest in which there is a uniform set of rules in order to achieve a merit-based ranking. Its a PTR on which you run a set of tests and then the results are wiped forever aside from internal data. Nobody takes these results to mean anything.

As stated by others, the boost in power is so they can see more of the fight and expose more of the problems.

This really should say "Why are people allowed to do stuff on a test server that wont go live." It would make a lot more sense.