Page 1 of 2
LastLast

If you had a Starfleet Runabout

If you had a starfleet runabout (I chose this ship as it requires minimal amount of people to operate and has interstellar capabilities) where would you go with it and who would you take with you?

Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I'd probably not go anywhere, coronavirus restrictions are still up and I'd rather not risk it
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Where is there To go? Space is just one infinite black.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Where is there To go? Space is just one infinite black.
    with interstellar travel we could travel and maybe find inhabited planets.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    If you had a starfleet runabout (I chose this ship as it requires minimal amount of people to operate and has interstellar capabilities) where would you go with it and who would you take with you?

nowhere, like a.t.m there's is literally nowhere worth going in the universe where i would need something of that speed.

id probably just give it to Neil de grayson as he would get more use out of it than me.

- - - Updated - - -

with interstellar travel we could travel and maybe find inhabited planets.
    with just one ship, at only warp 5, going to take a while that.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    nowhere, like a.t.m there's is literally nowhere worth going in the universe where i would need something of that speed.

id probably just give it to Neil de grayson as he would get more use out of it than me.

- - - Updated - - -

with just one ship, at only warp 5, going to take a while that.
    NX-01 Enterprise made it quite far at Warp 5.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

NX-01 Enterprise made it quite far at Warp 5.
    in a fantasy universe teeming with life, ours is dead and cold.

also was still only a tiny fraction of the galaxy as a whole.

so you can prove definitively that there are no inhabited planets in our galaxy?

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Everywhere? I'd visit every star system I could.

Would take my family.

10+ Year Old Account
    At least around the solar system with Neil deGrasse Tyson. It would be cool to have him suggest where to go and what to see all the while explaining what we were seeing.

so you can prove definitively that there are no inhabited planets in our galaxy?
    Do you want to waste years of your life trying to find out ?

Well going by your own rules the fastest ship in star fleet is like warp 9.95. Its not linier, 9.95 is much faster than 8.3 which is the Danube max boost, and warp 5 is crusing which is kinda slow in star trek. Thus I couldn't go super far. I suppose I'd check the closes star systems, Alpha centauri and Sirius and go from there. All the planets said to be in the goldilocks zone for life are super far.

With all the instrumentation therein, or just for travel? No worries about refueling?

With the scanning available would certainly hop around the solar system and check out the planets and moons.

We don't actually know that at all.

Furthermore there are over 2000 stars within a 50 light year distance (a distance that can be covered in 3 months at warp 5) from Earth of which about 15% are estimated to have planetary systems with planets in their respective habitable zones.

There are also 64 G type stars (Sol type).

All that would be within a few months travel time from Earth at warp 5. Double the travel time and you're talking about exponentially higher numbers.

Tho the best thing one could realistically do with having access to something like that ship is to take it apart and start reverse engineering it.

It would completely revolutionize everything from energy production, material sciences, computer technology, communications and effectively every single technological field.

Even in the areas of astronomy, just learning how to build a few dozen simpler versions of the thing would allow us to learn more about our universe as we could simultaneously explore multiple interesting things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post

Furthermore there are over 2000 stars within a 50 light year distance (a distance that can be covered in 3 months at warp 5) from Earth of which about 15% are estimated to have planetary systems with planets in their respective habitable zones.

All that would be within a few months travel time from Earth at warp 5. Double the travel time and you're talking about exponentially higher numbers.

Tho the best thing one could realistically do with having access to something like that ship is to take it apart and start reverse engineering it.

It would completely revolutionize everything from energy production, material sciences, computer technology, communications and effectively every single technological field.

Even in the areas of astronomy, just learning how to build a few dozen simpler versions of the thing would allow us to learn more about our universe as we could simultaneously explore multiple interesting things.
    one would think that if we're at a point that we could build a vessel with warp speed then we already have all of the technological advances that came along.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Family and loved ones, and anywhere and everywhere.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

one would think that if we're at a point that we could build a vessel with warp speed then we already have all of the technological advances that came along.
    You forgot to mention the bit where this ship would be everyday technology.

You also haven't clarified whether this ship would exist in our universe (which is largely unexplored) or we exist in the Star Trek universe.

These are important little details.

And non of the likely have anything worth seeing, at least not for laymen like us, if there's life amongst our local group its not gonna be anything I deem worthy of bothering to go see, sorry I just don't get excited over the possibility of some bacteria or some basic life forms crawling around on another rock in space, and a lesser advanced civilisation would be little more than a passing curiosity.

And thats if its there at all, eod the abundance of life still remains just a mathematical point, of which no evidence actualy exists yet, the vast vast majority of space is dead and inhabitable.

Recent evidence I've seen indicates life is likely far more rare than previously thought, most stars aren't like our sun, most are short lived violent things or cold dieing husks, and those like our star have been found recently to be many orders of magnitude far more active than our sun, and if our sun was like them we would not be around. The universe is infinite so likely there are many still like our sun, the right size and right activity but ita rare chances are you won't find another like it near us poking around at warp 5.

And I believed the same as you till I read about the much much higher activity in sun like stars compared to our own, but that killed it, find another like ours would be dumb luck and rare,

Your right the best thing to do with it would be turn it over to scientists and use it to produce green energy for our planet. Because its the only one we got.

But its just the cold hard truth of the universe, there's over 2000 stars in 50 light years 90% of them are giants or dwarfs and of the last 10% most are blasting out more radiation than life or a planet can handle, and then there is us, Lucky lucky us.
    Last edited by Monster Hunter; 2020-10-09 at 11:48 PM.

But its just the cold hard truth of the universe, there's over 2000 stars in 50 light years 90% of them are giants or dwarfs and of the last 10% most are blasting out more radiation than life or a planet can handle, and then there is us, Lucky lucky us.
    That's not how habitable zones work. Nor how magnetospheres work, nor how life works. Just because something is hostile to us, it doesn't mean it would be hostile to the life that evolves in that environment.

Fact is we can't really see much from where we are. All we know is that planets are relatively common and abundant. Water is pretty much everywhere as are other substances like hydrocarbons which can all serve as the basis for organic molecules, life can exist in a much wider range of environments than its commonly believed to be viable.

Even brown dwarfs can have habitable zones under certain conditions, but they aren't necessarily the best candidate for life bearing planets. But even that is mostly hypothetical, at least until we either develop better observational tools or we can go check.

Again you are somewhat engaging in a fallacy derived from the Clock maker analogy. You are assuming that life or intelligent life even need to fit into the same environment as we do. There's no indication that our solar system or planet would be specially suitable for life.

It's specially suited for life on Earth as we evolved to fit into this environment, but life and even intelligent life could have evolved to suit a wildly different environment, like ammonia based life on a hydrocarbon planet orbiting relatively near a dim and radioactive brown star.

That life might look nothing like us, but that doesn't mean it cannot exist.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2020-10-10 at 01:47 AM.

That's not how habitable zones work. Nor how magnetospheres work, nor how life works. Just because something is hostile to us, it doesn't mean it would be hostile to the life that evolves in that environment.

Fact is we can't really see much from where we are. All we know is that planets are relatively common and abundant. Water is pretty much everywhere as are other substances like hydrocarbons which can all serve as the basis for organic molecules, life can exist in a much wider range of environments than its commonly believed to be viable.

Even brown dwarfs can have habitable zones under certain conditions, but they aren't necessarily the best candidate for life bearing planets. But even that is mostly hypothetical, at least until we either develop better observational tools or we can go check.

Again you are somewhat engaging in a fallacy derived from the Clock maker analogy. You are assuming that life or intelligent life even need to fit into the same environment as we do. There's no indication that our solar system or planet would be specially suitable for life.

It's specially suited for life on Earth as we evolved to fit into this environment, but life and even intelligent life could have evolved to suit a wildly different environment, like ammonia based life on a hydrocarbon planet orbiting relatively near a dim and radioactive brown star.

That life might look nothing like us, but that doesn't mean it cannot exist.
    you don't get it do you, that habitable zone stuff is now bunk.

http://solstation.com/stars3/100-gs.htm

its based on how our sun works and then we apply it to other g-type stars. also habitable zone only accounts for temperature, it doesn't account for solar activity that would strip a planet of its magnetosphere and its atmosphere rendering it uninhabitable to life even if its in the goldilocks zone.

this is the problem your only looking at temperature, not solar activity, volatility and more importantly radiation out put.

red dwarfs have a "habitable zone" if by habitable you mean blasted radioactive wasteland that isn't that hot temperature wise

https://www.space.com/40186-red-dwar...doom-life.html

and radiation that's it, life cant handle that, i can to a point, life now lives in Chernobyl's reactor but massive constant ionizing radiation just sterilizes everything.

we thought other g-type stars would be like ours, but ours is a freak, for some reason its far weaker than the other g-type stars that are blasting there planets in the "habitable zone" with solar flairs and ejections stripping them like mars was striped even with magnetospheres they get overwhelmed and bleed away

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-sun...to-other-stars

our sun is a rarity amongst its own type, all other types of star completely hostile to life even in the habitable zone, the other stars of our suns type we have seen are also far far more active and hostile to life in there habitable zones.

and even with our rare odd star it only produced 1 habitable planet out of 3 in its habitable zone.

those are not good odds of finding anything in a short distance from us.

probably best start looking after it better really shouldn't we.
    Last edited by Monster Hunter; 2020-10-10 at 02:23 AM.