Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

AMD's Ryzen 7 5800X 8 Core & 16 Thread completely crushing the Intel Core i9-10900K

Looks like the days of Intel as gaming kings are over, if leaks are true.

Ryzen 7 5800X delivers up to 22% higher framerate then the Intel 10900k. Thats a F'ing lot

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x 8 core 16 thread zen 3 cpu benchmark leaks
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Don't lose your shit before real comparative benchmarks show up - AotS is hardly definitive, and has been shown to favor AMD.

Still, I'm optimistic that the price/performance will be good. I've used Intel/Nvidia exclusively since Core and GeForce respectively - it's something to be said that I'm finally giving serious thought to Team Red.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

It's still early. I'd rather wait for reviews from more trusted sources like Gamers Nexus.

The test you linked can't even keep main memory, at the very least, the same between systems. (32GB vs 16GB)

Here's a test that tells a very different story.

I'm in the market for a new system, but I'm waiting until Zen3 and Rocket Lake release and get properly reviewed.

We just dont know anything about the settings used. This may just be a marketing team ploy knowing full well someone is going to catch it up.

Buuut. Assuming somehow AMD managed to get their CPUs to boost to 5 GHz. And they really found the 15-20% IPC that is rumored. If they ran this with just a single unified chiplet. I can see that result being somewhat legit. Pretty big if though. And again we don't know shit about the setup other than a 2080 was used.

Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    Don't lose your shit before real comparative benchmarks show up - AotS is hardly definitive, and has been shown to favor AMD..
    But the reason people usually say why it favors AMD is because they have superior multithreading implementation and more cores. Surely in this case that advantage would be on Intel's side. As we are comparing 10900k which is 10 cores vs 5800x which is supposedly 8 cores.

I'll hold my breath. Intel has consistently crushed AMD in single thread performance, which is more important in gaming until more games can utilize multiple cores.

AMD is better at workload performance like CAD programs.

10+ Year Old Account
    If that's true, it's amazing.. But I'm waiting for reviews

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    I'll hold my breath. Intel has consistently crushed AMD in single thread performance, which is more important in gaming until more games can utilize multiple cores.

AMD is better at workload performance like CAD programs.
    Same, pretty happy with my 10700 purchase earlier

I'd wait for reviews. We've seen stupid claims before Zen 2 launch too, even though it was actually really good it was nowhere near what was "rumoured". 22% higher performance than 10900K in a "game" is like what? 40% uplift gen-to-gen? That's not gonna happen, it's the same node, and relatively no time to change anything major. If I had to speculate for Zen 3 it's going to be another small-ish clock bump - I'd say to 4.5-4.7 GHz all core, cache size bump again and some minor efficiency change.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    it's the same node, and relatively no time to change anything major. If I had to speculate for Zen 3 it's going to be another small-ish clock bump - I'd say to 4.5-4.7 GHz all core, cache size bump again and some minor efficiency change.
    Do you just always completely ignore any info about AMD products and just go with your gut feeling?

Zen 3 is the first major revision to the Zen core architecture. Zen, Zen+, and Zen 2 all had the same core layout with minor improvements here and there. Zen 3 does away with the 4-core CCX design and unifies all cores on a die into one unit, giving all cores access to the same shared 32MB L3 cache, instead of the 16MB cache per CCX in Zen 2 and earlier. This will certainly help to improved both inter-core latency as well as poor thread scheduling by the operating system. There's also changes made to the execution engine of the CPU.

Zen 3 is also made on the N7+ (7nm+) process by TSMC. It's the first EUV process node by TSMC and unrelated to the previous N7 (7nm), used by Zen 2, and N7P processes.

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Looks like the days of Intel as gaming kings are over, if leaks are true.

Ryzen 7 5800X delivers up to 22% higher framerate then the Intel 10900k. Thats a F'ing lot

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x 8 core 16 thread zen 3 cpu benchmark leaks
    As someone who has 3 different Ryzen system's in my office and have built more than I cant count don't get excited until we see real testers testing this thing. AMD could have built and tested anything and made it so it shows "5800x" in the test just for a reaction like this. We see how NVidia's "double the performance of a 2080Ti" aged. As one of the few people with a 3080 i can verify that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Do you just always completely ignore any info about AMD products and just go with your gut feeling?
    Mostly, because they always hype it up and it's always false.

Zen 3 is the first major revision to the Zen core architecture.
    I dont see any changes to the cores, just the package design.

Zen, Zen+, and Zen 2 all had the same core layout with minor improvements here and there. Zen 3 does away with the 4-core CCX design and unifies all cores on a die into one unit, giving all cores access to the same shared 32MB L3 cache, instead of the 16MB cache per CCX in Zen 2 and earlier. This will certainly help to improved both inter-core latency as well as poor thread scheduling by the operating system. There's also changes made to the execution engine of the CPU.
    Zen 2 have already cut the latencies in a big way. The way they're describing it would mean that I would cut it even below Intel, which is not physically possible, at least for memory latency, since the I/O die is still separate and Infinity Fabric is still a thing.

Zen 3 is also made on the N7+ (7nm+) process by TSMC. It's the first EUV process node by TSMC and unrelated to the previous N7 (7nm), used by Zen 2, and N7P processes.
    Sounds like a lot of marketing. The EUV litography technology is still pretty new, there's still unresolved issues with it, and there's no indication so far that using EUV lithography means more powerful chips on the same node. The technology probably has more potential moving forward, but there's literally no benefit so far except for the cost of manufacturing one wafer, which is so far cancelled out by the fact that the manufacturing equipment is far more expensive. Samsung have been using EUV litography for almost 2 years and noone is praising their chips being the best, it's kinda all the away around.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

I'll believe it when I see it.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

The day is rapidly approaching when this happens with how Intel has been fumbling over itself the past 10 years or so. Is this the time it finally happens? Maybe. But I do know in the last release the "rumor" level was 5ghz speed with the superior IPC. Turned out to only be 4.7 on the most expensive and high end chips. I take it rumor will always be it is "better" because if that wasn't the rumor no one would talk about it. But the cold hard fact is AMD was more than good enough for about 3 generations now. Even if the gap closes further it just gets better. To the point of it not being all that different if its better or not for pure gaming (unless 1-2 frames is something you consider game breaking). The real question is where does pricing fall. AMDs big grab came from being almost as good for a fair bit cheaper. As that gap closes do the prices go up? Does multi-generation support on motherboards discontinue so they can sell more motherboard chipsets like Intel does? If the answer is yes than you just traded one tyrant for another and with how business works in this world they almost will have to because profit is never enough. You got to have all the money. The real hope is both companies keep RNDing each other and competition keeps prices reasonable and the technology gets to grow at a faster rate. Last thing we want is AMD to become king and kill Intel because then we just end up on 7nm for 15 years because they got no reason to move on. The longer they have to slash and stab at each other the longer it will be until the knife gets turn to us, the consumer, to milk to death again like Intel did us for most of the last 10-15 years or so.

Wait for 2021 games and see real performance in there (as far as games go).

I am not a fan of amd gpus but i do hope amd cpus perform well and give intel a reason to actually improve their products.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    Wait for 2021 games and see real performance in there (as far as games go).

I am not a fan of amd gpus but i do hope amd cpus perform well and give intel a reason to actually improve their products.
    You know Intel is actually improving their products, they aren't holding back anymore you know?

Why we haven't seen them 'trounce' AMD, cos they got nothing left to give, what you see on the roadmaps right now is all they have but they can't even get them into production properly.

Why do people think Intel are holding back these days?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoriangun View Post
    You know Intel is actually improving their products, they aren't holding back anymore you know?

Why we haven't seen them 'trounce' AMD, cos they got nothing left to give, what you see on the roadmaps right now is all they have but they can't even get them into production properly.

Why do people think Intel is holding back these days?
    It's not that they are holding back now. It's that they've been holding back for the last 10 years. I suppose you're going to say they had nothing more to give then as well.

I heard there was an event, were the leaks true?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    What AMD says doesn't really matter too much. Nvidia claimed 100+% performance gain from a 2080ti to a 3080, and it was like.. 30%.

But what AMD said was ~19% IPC gain from what I know

Edit: GN video if anyone cares: https://youtu.be/n-AanO3Axzk
    Last edited by Temp name; 2020-10-08 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Yes, event is over.

Mark Papermaster takes the stage. Claims ZEN3 higher max boost, higher IPC (+19%), new core layout. There indeed is a unified 8-core complex! yay, that drops latencies and helps gaming. ZEN3 is a front to back redesign.
    24% improvement in energy efficiency is claimed.
    Su takes stage again to announce the processors.
    4.8 GHz turbo for the Ryzen 9 5900X = 12c/24t 105W TDP. Average 26% perf uplift in gaming on average. Cinebench ST score passes 630 points, which is huge TBH.

5800X supposedly has 631 points in R20 singlethreaded. 5950X has 640. That's... a lot. With the core/cache layout changes, their multithreading is also seeing great improvements.