Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    The chips hardware is obviously superior now. My next request to AMD now.. please get your shit together with BIOS and other hardware support so I don't have to update those things every 4 weeks.

I do suggest waiting on all final judgements until reviews get their hands on the product. Then, after the scalpers control the market for 6 months, we might get one unless going to ebay and paying 80% markup is a good thing.
    They are doing things differently this time. They've been releasing AGESA 1.0.0.8 since late August and that has initial support Zen 3. And at launch x570 and b550 will get AGESA 1.1.0.0 update which should have full support for Zen 3.

But the fact is there is always optimizations to be found with new releases. So you will likely get frequent BIOS updates at the start again. One thing that will leviate it this time though is that the IO die will be same as with Zen 2.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    Having to update things so often, is honestly worrisome. Knowing how many things can go bad with bios updates or firmware updates on hardware that is sensitive to change is scary.
    You don't have to upgrade if you don't want to. But AGESA updates have usually given support to new things. My work comps x370 board was stable from the launch and I only recently(first time since 2017 I think) updated the BIOS on it because I changed it's memory setup.

Zen 3 is good .. but not good enough to upgrade to for me

I will wait Zen 4 and doing that will also give an opportunity for Rocket Lake/Alder Lake to show their gaming perf - and whoever wins will get my buck

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    If I had anything negative to say about AMD it would be this.

Having to update things so often, is honestly worrisome. Knowing how many things can go bad with bios updates or firmware updates on hardware that is sensitive to change is scary.
    What are you updating so often? I haven't updated a thing (unless we're counting drivers) on my system since I bought it a year ago and it works perfectly fine.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Looks like the days of Intel as gaming kings are over, if leaks are true.

Ryzen 7 5800X delivers up to 22% higher framerate then the Intel 10900k. Thats a F'ing lot

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x 8 core 16 thread zen 3 cpu benchmark leaks
    Never be loyal to one brand or another. Don't love or hate either Intel or AMD. They only care about your pocketbook, not you in the least.

Thirst for the competition...that is the only way consumers benefit.

Looks like Zen 3 is a skip

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Never be loyal to one brand or another. Don't love or hate either Intel or AMD. They only care about your pocketbook, not you in the least.

Thirst for the competition...that is the only way consumers benefit.
    Very true. The best thing that can happen is Intel makes something that beats them sooner rather than later. You already see it with AMD with price creep up. Every generation they drop in domination it will continue to creep up. They say they care a lot.. but honestly the part they care about is the pocket book and that isn't a bad thing as long as people keep that in perspective. Unfortunately a lot of people cannot do that. They have some brand loyalty that is kind of sickening. I mean I rolled with Intel for almost 10 years and had ZERO problem going with an AMD chip recently. Its ok.

So is Ryzen a brand?

I hope there is no shortage , I am kind of sad of not buying latest tech on launch within first 2 weeks .

Quote Originally Posted by jacktheking View Post
    I hope there is no shortage , I am kind of sad of not buying latest tech on launch within first 2 weeks .
    Ofc there's going to be a shortage. A lot of borders are still closed due to covid so there's no way getting around that.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by jacktheking View Post
    5950x will probably be in short supply. Others.. we don't really know. It takes quite a while to get stuff across the world atm as they will likely go in a container. My new computer case says it will take up to 12 weeks.

Rumors are thought that it's going to be a really big launch on the 5th. They do have the wafer supply and resources at least for it not to be a paper launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeyjakey View Post
    So is Ryzen a brand?
    Ryzen is the brand name of AMD's Zen micro-architecture. Currently they are in 3rd generation of Zen architecture, thus the current iteration is Ryzen Zen3.

Similar to how Navi is Radeon's brand name for their new RDNA GPU architecture (previously they were using GCN).

Not sure how much you were asking with that question, hence the longer answer. Don't mean to be patronizing if you all ready knew most of this.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    Similar to how Navi is Radeon's brand name for their new RDNA GPU architecture (previously they were using GCN).
    Navi is not a brand name, it's a codename. Similar how to Intel codenames their core and architecture designs.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Wait for benchmarks. Do you remember a few weeks ago when Nvidia claimed the 3080 had 2x the power of the 2080? And it turned out to be in only 2 games?

Companies only show you the absolute perfect examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Wait for benchmarks. Do you remember a few weeks ago when Nvidia claimed the 3080 had 2x the power of the 2080? And it turned out to be in only 2 games?

Companies only show you the absolute perfect examples.
    To be fair, there was a slide that showed AMD being -3% deficit to intel in 1 game, this is something ive never seen and company do, but in fairness when it comes to Ryzen cpus, the slides AMD shows for games are quite close to what reviewers get with the same or very similar set of hardware, its only the boost clocks that they don't reach but never know, might be sorted this time round.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Dunno DDR5 will get a lot of people to upgrade, which should be out late 2021 or early 2022.
    Why? Who goes “whoa, new memory standard?! Gotta have that!” ? Jumping in early on a new memory standard is the worst. Prices start high, speeds start low.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Navi is not a brand name, it's a codename. Similar how to Intel codenames their core and architecture designs.
    It seemingly got promoted into the marketing in some capacity, though. As implied by Lisa Su during their presentation.
    Last edited by Wries; 2020-10-10 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Wait for benchmarks. Do you remember a few weeks ago when Nvidia claimed the 3080 had 2x the power of the 2080?
    they said "up to 2x"

I am a Ryzen fanboy and even I will wait until some of the TechTubers can get their hands on them for real testing before I get excited. Anyone who blindly believe the launch hype from the vendor deserves to get hosed if they believe it.
    Last edited by Moozart; 2020-10-10 at 02:54 PM.

I hope Zen4 5nm will come no later than ~Q1 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    I am a Ryzen fanboy and even I will wait until some of the TechTubers can get their hands on them for real testing before I get excited. Anyone who blindly believe the launch hype from the vendor deserves to get hosed if they believe it.
    This. The only comparisons and benchmarks i trust, are those of 3rd party people that don't have a real reason to bash on either side, but tell the viewers "here are the results, do what you want with it"

Imagine not just buying a 10600k or a 10700k in 2020 thinking AMD won’t be garbage tier. We get it, you don’t have the extra money to spend on Intel. Save yourself the headache and avoid the red team. This is a gaming forum, blue has your back for GAMES.