Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctesolis View Post
    Imagine not just buying a 10600k or a 10700k in 2020 thinking AMD won’t be garbage tier. We get it, you don’t have the extra money to spend on Intel. Save yourself the headache and avoid the red team. This is a gaming forum, blue has your back for GAMES.
    Fanboys are dumb regardless of which color they're rooting for.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Why? Who goes “whoa, new memory standard?! Gotta have that!” ? Jumping in early on a new memory standard is the worst. Prices start high, speeds start low.
    People get excited about new tech, even when they don't need it. And memory actually does matter, not to the extent of what a CPU or GPU can do for you, but you can leverage it in clever way if you got enough throughput and size. DDR5 afterall is promising quite a large size increase together with quite a large bandwidth increase.

It seemingly got promoted into the marketing in some capacity, though. As implied by Lisa Su during their presentation.
    Navi was the code name for RDNA uArch, so people were just starting to call RDNA2 uArch as "Big Navi". AMD just adopted the code name as is calling it now Big Navi. The actual branding will be RX 6000 series.

Imagine not just buying a 10600k or a 10700k in 2020 thinking AMD won’t be garbage tier. We get it, you don’t have the extra money to spend on Intel. Save yourself the headache and avoid the red team. This is a gaming forum, blue has your back for GAMES.
    Hope you're getting payed for this post cause I cringed reading that.

I was holding out for this and the new amd gpu for my gaming only new pc, if its close to 3080 performance but with more memory, however I am now thinking this cpu is abit over priced, its £450 in the uk , the 10700k is only £350, i'm thinking its not giving 25% more performance in gaming is it.

Honestly even if the performance is close AMD still wins it by the fact that they have PCI 4.0 implemented.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    I was holding out for this and the new amd gpu for my gaming only new pc, if its close to 3080 performance but with more memory, however I am now thinking this cpu is abit over priced, its £450 in the uk , the 10700k is only £350, i'm thinking its not giving 25% more performance in gaming is it.
    Launch prices will always be higher than something that's been out for a while. 450£ sounds a bit high though, overclockers UK has the 5800x listed at 430£.

Then you also gotta consider that a cheap but decent B550 motherboard is ~100£ while the cheapest Z490 boards are 130-140£, and you also need a better and more expensive cooler with a 10700K. Add it all up and it's basically the same price for both systems.

howdy fellas,
    do you think early into November (or from now until the new year really) - we see any price drops in AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
    I don't think im hopping into Gen 3 and fingers crossed i can get this one on sale, it will be a major upgrade for me - currently listed $426 Canadian
    "We will not compromise our standards to release a title before it is ready."
    WoW T.W.O ( The Wars Over )

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity2015 View Post
    howdy fellas,
    do you think early into November (or from now until the new year really) - we see any price drops in AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
    I don't think im hopping into Gen 3 and fingers crossed i can get this one on sale, it will be a major upgrade for me - currently listed $426 Canadian
    Yes I would expect price drops for the existing CPUs however, probably not huge drop as AMD are now able to price similar to Intel as their performance is close to (slightly worse or slightly better in different situations) to the Intel CPUs. Cyber Monday on the 30th November might be a good time to buy although checkout prices from the Thursday as often they go on sale then and components are limited.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corroc View Post
    Honestly even if the performance is close AMD still wins it by the fact that they have PCI 4.0 implemented.
    Except for the fact that nothing you do on a consumer basis needs PCIe 4, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Navi was the code name for RDNA uArch, so people were just starting to call RDNA2 uArch as "Big Navi". AMD just adopted the code name as is calling it now Big Navi. The actual branding will be RX 6000 series.
    RDNA2's codename is Sienna Cichlid. It's pretty stupid so I guess it's easier for people to call it Big Navi.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Launch prices will always be higher than something that's been out for a while. 450£ sounds a bit high though, overclockers UK has the 5800x listed at 430£.

Then you also gotta consider that a cheap but decent B550 motherboard is ~100£ while the cheapest Z490 boards are 130-140£, and you also need a better and more expensive cooler with a 10700K. Add it all up and it's basically the same price for both systems.
    You need better cooling for AMD products than Intel.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatticus View Post
    If we where stil living in 2012 you would indeed need beter cooling for AMD than Intel. But right now in 2020 not so much. Actually the Intel CPU's are the hotheads right now and that won't change until Intel finally goes to a smaller node.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatticus View Post
    Other way around. 3700X needs less cooling than a 10600K.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    RDNA2's codename is Sienna Cichlid. It's pretty stupid so I guess it's easier for people to call it Big Navi.
    No that's not true. The fishes are code names for the specific chips. Sienna Cichlid is Navi 21. Navy Flounder is Navi 22 and Dimgrey Cavefish is navi 23.

**Edit: And ye I was in the wrong too before as Big Navi code name is probably only refering to Navi21.

And before you ask, AMD confirmed they are using a name generator to come up with the code names.
    Last edited by mrgreenthump; 2020-10-11 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    No that's not true. The fishes are code names for the specific chips. Sienna Cichlid is Navi 21. Navy Flounder is Navi 22 and Dimgrey Cavefish is navi 23.

**Edit: And ye I was in the wrong too before as Big Navi code name is probably only refering to Navi21.

And before you ask, AMD confirmed they are using a name generator to come up with the code names.
    Yea, I made a mistake here too. I didnt mean all RDNA2 based chips, but specifically the ones that are referred to as "Big Navi", i.e. Navi 21.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Except for the fact that nothing you do on a consumer basis needs PCIe 4, sure.
    If you are going to upgrade why would you not upgrade to a system with pcie 4 since it basically makes your whole system faster. This is not AMD vs intel thing. Assuming you dont upgrade your system every gen you want to get best possible upgrade for money used. PCIe 4 is future proof.

lol. Did you know that AMD is now more exspensive? Can people like you just dig a hole and jump into it, instead of posting troll replies on forums all day every day. Also being loyal to a brand...jeez, if you're smart you buy what's best for the money you willing you spend.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

If you are going to upgrade why would you not upgrade to a system with pcie 4 since it basically makes your whole system faster. This is not AMD vs intel thing. Assuming you dont upgrade your system every gen you want to get best possible upgrade for money used. PCIe 4 is future proof.
    Future proofing for what though? An overclocked 3090 is right at the doorstep of bottlenecking with PCI-E 3.0.. PCI-E 4.0 drives only achieve higher bandwidth when they can do sequential reads or writes. Granted IOPS is up with PCI-E 4.0. Maybe next gen GPUs will be closer to bottlenecking with 3.0, but it seems to take over 2 years between every GPU family nowdays. And even then your ~$500 GPU probably will be around the 3090 performance and you still wont bottleneck.

It doesnt make your system faster, it increases the maximum bandwidth through PCIe interface. You also need the devices that can take advantage of that right now, so PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs, which are completely useless for a gaming PC, or a PCIe 4.0 videocard. Single videocards that would be able to take advantage of that bandwidth dont exist yet. They most definitely will in the next generation of GPUs, but 1) it's going to be only the most highend cards, which very few people are going to buy; 2) chances are you will need a powerful CPU to take advantage of that GPU power, and you wont be able to put it into any current motherboard on either AMD or Intel platform: AMD is moving to a new socket with Zen 4, Intel is still doing their thing with 2 generations on one socket, so they're moving to LGA1700 too, both of those would also include the support for new DDR5 memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Uurdz View Post
    Yes I would expect price drops for the existing CPUs however, probably not huge drop as AMD are now able to price similar to Intel as their performance is close to (slightly worse or slightly better in different situations) to the Intel CPUs. Cyber Monday on the 30th November might be a good time to buy although checkout prices from the Thursday as often they go on sale then and components are limited.
    thank you , i wish i had some kind of insight on how much price drop may end up being, if its miniscule i might just start ordering my parts to upgrade
    "We will not compromise our standards to release a title before it is ready."
    WoW T.W.O ( The Wars Over )