Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post
    No I wouldn't be fine. I don't care if it's 100m gold or half a freaking copper. The act of being in a game to not play the game is a level of pathetic my brain cannot compute.

I'm someone with integrity and respect for the work that goes into a game. My opinion is objectively more valid than that of someone who makes the conscious decision of login into a game they don't want to play, literally by definition.
    Why do you think Blizzard is trying to put an end to this? They're changing the feature and there's already a way to report this to make it stop. They know it's pathetic, they know it's not good for the game or community. You're not gonna sell me this overused and often wrong who are you to tell people that X Y or Z is the "right" way to play a game? You have it in your own sentence, "way to play a game". Getting carried is not playing, by definition you're sitting in the back not playing while others play for you. So if they're not playing, this can't be called a "way to play a game". Therefore I'm not asking them to play a certain way, I'm just asking them to play. If they don't want to play then they should just log off and do whatever else they enjoy enough to actually do.

They don't want to play, they want the reward without playing. That's disgusting and should not be allowed or enabled in any way shape or form.
    It's more important to destroy this regressive attitude than to support low lvl grouping, there's basically no content in the game that requires pre-made grouping while lvling. Most people who lvl in a group are with friends and never use premade group finder.
    As a game developer, I can categorically tell you your view is wrong. People play games how they want to play them and for most developers, that's fine as long as it doesn't negatively impact someone else. No you being upset someone is playing differently to how you want them to play doesn't count as a negative impact...

Dark Souls is a game that's meant to be hard and challenging, requiring good knowledge of fights and good timing, yet someone just played it using a dance mat as a controller. Skyrim's entire story is meant to be played through with the player being the Dragonborn, a powerful mortal that can absorb dragon souls. Do you think Bethesda gets all upset that some players ignore the main story and just want to pick flowers and pretend to be a normal citizen? The Sims is meant to be a life simulator, but some people just spend all their time building houses and don't actually play with NPC's. Do you think the devs care? Or are they happy someone is enjoying their game regardless of how they are doing it?

Fact is, if it doesn't negatively impact another player then people are free to play games how they want. As long as boosting is done legitimately, with gold and not RWM, then it's fine. Just because you dislike it, doesn't mean it's a negative. Honestly, people like you are the kind of players most game developers don't want. The players that are rude and complain at other players for "Not playing my way which is the right way" because that's just wrong.

Not to mention, if Blizzard didn't want people boosting, they'd just make it against the rules. This change isn't targeting boosting, it's targeting the spam, advertising and RWT issues they have.

OT: While I do use the group finder a lot, I often manage to find groups for quests/mobs/whatever in a zone using the local chat. So yeah it sucks to have that feature taken away until level 50, it's not something I'll personally miss too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    So are these the only two other options for addon managers besides the upcoming overwolf? Is there any other option someone can recommend? I just need a way to search/install/update from the same app, as light as possible.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure if anyone remembers Openraid at all, but it looks like there is a new thing called Herolobby.

I would just ignore anything CrawlFromThePit posts as if you look at his post history it's nothing but him arguing with people. He's always right and he wants the last word.

On Topic...
    I can understand some people not liking the group finder change as they just like to group with people for the sake of meeting new people. However, if you actually use it for completing quests due to them being too hard for you then something is wrong. There isn't 1 group quest currently while leveling where you'd potentially need help aside from a couple elite ones in BFA zones and if you do then you need to use a resource such as Icy-Veins to get some pointers.

As for these new client managers...
    If it doesn't search both of the big addon sites (WoWInterface & Curse) then I personally won't use it. WoWI was before Curse and some addons are updated on 1 site vs the other. Looks like if I move on then my choice will end up being WowUp.

Love the 50 change have to earn your SPAM lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    The same keywords the addons that effectively target this stuff work on. Stuff like "sale" / "sell" / "carry" / "boost" / "gold." These are never used by innocents in the group tool so it's not going to affect the average pug just looking for more people to play with. They could also do a much better job about filtering out URLs. There are also measures they can take to look at stuff besides just keywords. It wouldn't be that hard to run a script that can specifically focus on characters that are listed in the queue for level inappropriate content, and whom remain listed for a very long time without inviting anyone. These groups are insanely obvious to anyone who sees them -- they don't even try to hide their purpose -- if you don't think that could be automated on some level, you are way out of date with how advanced even basic AI functions are with stuff like this.

I think it's fairly dramatic to think that making some simple keyword filters would result in us "only having emotes to converse with."

(also, who sells items using the group finder?)

Yes, the sellers would likely adapt to this, but anything that cuts back on those groups would be helpful, and such a system would be fairly easy to update as new trends are identified. Literally anything is better than blocking anyone who isn't playing the newest content from using the group tool entirely.
    You completely missed the point.

Imagine, for example, if Blizzard ever decides to re-add the Challenge Modes from MoP... how would a group advertise a spot open for their group that intends to go for "gold" timing?

Banning/targeting specific words will do next to nothing to stop the "carry for gold" community. At best, it'll make them start using different words. And then what? Those words are "banned/targeted" as well? And then they'll go for different words, which will be "banned/targeted" as well, and on the circle goes, and the only tangible effect that will have is that the average player will have a smaller and smaller pool of words to use in their group advertisement.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    They are talking about group finder, not the ingame chat.

That being said keyword filtering is only really effective for filtering out obscenities. Its been proven time and time again that 5 minutes after a specific word gets banned they just find a new word with the same meaning to use.
    Yes, that has been pointed out to me, already. But as I mentioned, the point basically remains the same.

Quote Originally Posted by AluatisDW View Post
    How about, and I know this might be a bit of a stretch, they actually invest in a anti-spam system? It's not that difficult to just do simple regex based filtering. Literally a junior dev could get a basic filter created.
    We had a addon back in WOD were we could fillter and ignore certain groups with just a script or klick but blizz remove it form thier api for "reasons"
    I.O BFA Season 3

Quote Originally Posted by AluatisDW View Post
    How about, and I know this might be a bit of a stretch, they actually invest in a anti-spam system? It's not that difficult to just do simple regex based filtering. Literally a junior dev could get a basic filter created.
    I 2nd this. My A.D.D. kicks in hard an hour into any attempt to learn coding, but the ability to filter these kinds of things seems doable. With damn near every aspect of the game being on some different server to help keep it stable, they should be able to target these...and after a month in, they can update the targeted words with what ever new wording/letter, number, symbol combination that the spammers come up with.

But, I don't know coding so I could be totally off base.

Nobody mentions twitch as addon manager, have they dropped mods support or it just suck so noone use it?

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Druid ist Op View Post
    We had a addon back in WOD were we could fillter and ignore certain groups with just a script or klick but blizz remove it form thier api for "reasons"
    Ah yes, it was very good to find specific M+ keys in Legion (ex: Triumvirat 15+ with one tank and 2 slots for healer and dps, exclude WTS) but the same API was used to autogroup for world quest and Blizz didn't want that so they just scrapped everything related to this API.
    Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by holyfist View Post
    Nobody mentions twitch as addon manager, have they dropped mods support or it just suck so noone use it?
    The TwitchApp is going to be taken over by Overwolf and no one wants that crap on their pc which is why people are flocking to new managers.

Quote Originally Posted by holyfist View Post
    Everyone has actually been mentioning that add on manager, just under the name “Overwolf”. It is getting taken over by Overwolf, which nobody really wants. The entire reason for these alternate managers being posted is that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    The group finder change is so punishing to leveling characters for probably marginal help on the bullshit listings (when they could instead actually take efforts to combat advertising specifically targeted at the advertising). Look, I pug a lot, and I hate those "groups" clogging up the group finder to excessive levels but I also use the group finder all the time below the cap, for rares/events/activities/achievements,etc. Just today I used it several times on characters that will probably end up in the 30-40 range post squish, for accessing a rare spawn NPC, getting help on a Legion invasion, and searching for the mad merchant. I've also used it on low levels to find a stable group to spam dungeons with or complete special achievements. 50 is way too high of a restriction; that's the equivalent of 120!

It's just especially obnoxious since it would be so easy to target advertisement by, like, targeting advertising keywords. Or restrict it for super low level characters. Or both! WHY NOT BOTH.

It's been a long time since Blizzard has done something I was genuinely surly over, but this is one of them. So fucking dumb.
    Agree, I can say not having this in the new starting area for some of the elite quests was quite surprising. They really need to rethink that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritters154 View Post
    Everyone has actually been mentioning that add on manager, just under the name “Overwolf”. It is getting taken over by Overwolf, which nobody really wants. The entire reason for these alternate managers being posted is that situation.
    I see, thanks

I've found a 3rd addon manager called Singularity. It's good alternatives to that two in article

Have been using WowUp for a few weeks now and yeah it works great. Not as many bells and whistles as the Twitch client but then none of the frequent problems (so far) either.

Quote Originally Posted by -Tim- View Post
    The TwitchApp is going to be taken over by Overwolf and no one wants that crap on their pc which is why people are flocking to new managers.
    I wouldn't say no one, I've been using overwolf for years. Only reason I'm not going to be using it for SL is because these new ones pull from Tukui so it's one less thing to log into.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfang View Post
    So are these the only two other options for addon managers besides the upcoming overwolf? Is there any other option someone can recommend? I just need a way to search/install/update from the same app, as light as possible.
    I have been usin WowUp for a while now anduspretty good.it can even download addons from tukiu.org and wowinterface unlike the twitch app that only works for curse

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunderella View Post
    I have been usin WowUp for a while now anduspretty good.it can even download addons from tukiu.org and wowinterface unlike the twitch app that only works for curse
    Nice, ill give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfang View Post
    There is also CurseBreaker. More here: https://ogri-la.github.io/wow-addon-managers/