just dotting all my i's, and crossing all my t's on this future upgrade.

So with everything coming out, and wanting to play the new Assassin's Creed Valhalla in ultra awesome, I wanted to upgrade my PC at some point. At this point in time I have:

GeForce GTX1070
    i7-7700k 4.2GHz
    ASUS Prime Z270-A MoBo
    16 GB of Ram.

I really like the computer case, so I'm keeping with that. I would however like to change the MoBo, GPU and Processor. My question is can I keep my old SSD and hard drive, and will there be any hiccups if I do change all that out? It's really annoying having to buy the OS, Word, and that crap, and reboot all that crap all over again. I appreciate the help.

1) What is your PSU and how old is it?
    2) What are your SSD and harddrive? In theory if you're running windows 10 you can just swap the SSD and swap the drivers.
    3) What is the budget for that ultra awesome new PC of yours?
    4) I dont see a big need to swap the system here. I would overclock the CPU and replace the GPU though.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

I have a distant memory in the back of my mind that AC: Odyssey was a CPU hog. So if they continue the same with Valhalla, you might need a new CPU. Ofc Odyssey had Denuvo and stuff so that ate a lot of CPU power.

And from what I see AC: Valhalla has higher CPU recommendations. Though as it says 6700K is the recommended now, it may be that they've optimized the engine and AC games don't need an 8 core to run them anymore.

If you change your MoBo, you will USUALLY have to reinstall Windows on your SSD. It's pretty simple to do if you link your Microsoft account to your windows license. Just make a bootable Flash drive, format the Windows partition, then plug the SSD into the new board and reinstall windows. Get you some drivers and you are good to go. If you don't do this, then you will have to manually uninstall all of the old board drivers and then install the new ones on the new rig.
    Last edited by Asher13; 2020-10-05 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher13 View Post
    If you change your MoBo, you will USUALLY have to reinstall Windows on your SSD. It's pretty simple to do if you link your Microsoft account to your windows license. Just make a bootable Flash drive, format the Windows partition, then plug the SSD into the new board and reinstall windows. Get you some drivers and you are good to go. If you don't do this, then you will have to manually uninstall all of the old board drivers and then install the new ones on the new rig.
    Well at the point I might as well do everything.