Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Here is what I have come up with, seems to look like it will work. will my GPU work with this MoBo?

Component Selection Base Promo Shipping Tax Price Where
    CPU

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor $208.62 $208.62

CPU Cooler
    Motherboard

ASRock B550M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $80.98 $80.98

Memory

GeIL EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory $55.99 FREE $55.99

Storage
    Video Card
    Case
    Power Supply
    Optical Drive
    Operating System
    Software
    Monitor
    External Storage
    Laptop
    Accessories / Other

Case Accessories, Case Fans, Fan Controllers, Thermal Compound, UPS Systems
    Expansion Cards / Networking

Sound Cards, Wired Network Adapters, Wireless Network Adapters
    Peripherals

Headphones, Keyboards, Mice, Speakers, Webcams
    Total: $345.59
    That motherboard is.... ehh not good.

I you have to buy right now I'd suggest this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($71.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $366.97
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-30 18:08 EDT-0400

3600X was $60 more when I checked so it's not worth that price increase. You might be able to re-use your liquid cooler, it depends on which exact model it is. Maybe NZXT will send you a new AM4 bracket if you ask. Otherwise you might need a new CPU cooler as well, the one included with the 3600 is pretty bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($71.99 @ Newegg)

3600X was $60 more when I checked so it's not worth that price increase. You might be able to re-use your liquid cooler, it depends on which exact model it is. Maybe NZXT will send you a new AM4 bracket if you ask. Otherwise you might need a new CPU cooler as well, the one included with the 3600 is pretty bad.
    I second this. Looks like all bases were covered on what you wanted in OP.

and I had a hearty giggle when ppl were calling a 1080 TI "fine", LOL. That used to be the best card you can get in 2017. was a ~$700 card at the time!!! (edit: yes, I know SL has minimum requirements of a 1080. just funny how tech flies by is all. I love/hate how much better cards are and how much it costs)
    Last edited by Starbrand; 2020-10-01 at 04:25 AM.
    Grandmaster Tidestout
    <Stand Tall>US-Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Starbrand View Post

and I had a hearty giggle when ppl were calling a 1080 TI "fine", LOL. That used to be the best card you can get in 2017. was a ~$700 card at the time!!! (edit: yes, I know SL has minimum requirements of a 1080. just funny how tech flies by is all. I love/hate how much better cards are and how much it costs)
    1080 is the recommended, minimum is a 760. Beta seems to run fine on medium settings on my gtx 670 and 3570k.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Last gen Ryzen always goes down. I just double checked some of my newegg invoices, AMD RYZEN 5 2600 119.99 after 3600 came out. AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 149.99 after 2nd gen came out.
    Because there was a HUGE glut/overproduction of Zen 1 and Zen + parts.

There was NOT a huge overproduction of Zen 2 parts.

The only reason AMD lowered the prices was because it was either that or eat hundreds of thousands of unsold chips. They were selling them at a loss at several points, but some money > no money at that point.

A bunch of Zen 2 parts are already scarce on the ground.

My local Micro Center, for instance, has... 3600X, 3400G, a few 3600s, and like 6 3700Xs. The shelves are bare.

Dont expect massive dropoffs for Zen 2 parts. Just expect them to be OOS.

PCPartPicker Part List

Can I get by with just AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor for now since the new gen are coming out or will I benefit from the 3600 that much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbrand View Post

For wow there was hardly any improvement from me going from a 1080ti to a 3080. Wow is POORLY optimized for these high end cards. Other than a few places here and there where i would only hit about 125-130FPS now being 144fps, major cities still drop under 100 in most cases.

PCPartPicker Part List

This is the Liquid cooler I have https://www.newegg.com/nzxt-liquid-c...82E16835146059

10+ Year Old Account
    Can I get by with just AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor for now since the new gen are coming out or will I benefit from the 3600 that much more.
    If you plan on upgrading anyway, get the 3100. But with a 3600 you shouldn't really need to upgrade

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello everyone, I built my first gaming PC 2 years ago from stuff I picked up from FB Marketplace and have been very happy with it so far, I was thinking about upgrading at least my MOBO so I can get into DDR4 Ram and better CPU since I believe my MOBO is what is kind of holding me back.

I've got an NZXT H500 Case so whatever I need that fits this.

Current Specs are:
    CPU- AMD FX-6300
    GPU- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    MOBO- ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
    Ram- Crucial Tech. 8GB (2X4)

I have an NZXT Liquid cooler and 3 other Case Fans as well this build has been great and runs cool and I have neve had any issues with performance playing the games I like to play at Medium-High settings WOW, 7D2D, Scrap Mechanic Survival, Ark, and Destiny 2. I only really plan to play WOW, 7D2D, and Ark for the most part on this rig what is the best coarse to upgrading what I have without going broke. If I can just throw some more Ram at it and get some performance I am totally cool with that, or is upgrading the CPU and sticking with my current MOBO I plan on playing 1080P and that is about it I have no need for super amazing graphics really since I care more about smoothness than how pretty stuff looks. I play WOW fully zoomed out with game sound Muted so if that gives you an indication of what I need.
    the upgrade is build an entire new pc. that mobo is fucking you by being ddr3 and capped at 8gb ram. its a toaster. honestly your graphics card isnt bad and your case should be fine. get a new mobo new cpu and new ram. new gpu is bottom of your upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    the upgrade is build an entire new pc. that mobo is fucking you by being ddr3 and capped at 8gb ram. its a toaster. honestly your graphics card isnt bad and your case should be fine. get a new mobo new cpu and new ram. new gpu is bottom of your upgrades.
    That has been the plan since the beginning of the Thread, I was just looking for advice on nice budget friendly parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Well apparently I'm dumb and said I had a 1080Ti, when in fact I have a 1050Ti GPU so I guess what is a good upgrade for that as well?

10+ Year Old Account
    That has been the plan since the beginning of the Thread, I was just looking for advice on nice budget friendly parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Well apparently I'm dumb and said I had a 1080Ti, when in fact I have a 1050Ti GPU so I guess what is a good upgrade for that as well?
    I'd stick with the 1050ti for now, and after getting a new CPU and all that, then you can judge if you're satisfied with the performance you get, or if you want to upgrade it.
    The problem with upgrading a GPU right now is that we're literally in the middle of a generation transition. From Nvidias 1600/2000 series to their 3000 series, with AMD following up with their 6000 series in a little bit. So you're stuck buying either "last gen" hardware if you want something cheap, or high-end if you want "next gen" hardware. So waiting lets you get a cheaper "next gen" card.. And hopefully also lets some come into stock again.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I'd stick with the 1050ti for now, and after getting a new CPU and all that, then you can judge if you're satisfied with the performance you get, or if you want to upgrade it.
    The problem with upgrading a GPU right now is that we're literally in the middle of a generation transition. From Nvidias 1600/2000 series to their 3000 series, with AMD following up with their 6000 series in a little bit. So you're stuck buying either "last gen" hardware if you want something cheap, or high-end if you want "next gen" hardware. So waiting lets you get a cheaper "next gen" card.. And hopefully also lets some come into stock again.
    Thanks again for all the help, in order to get this stuff and spread it out a bit can I get the Mobo and Ram then install my old CPU and save up a bit for the better one? It would be nice if i was able to do that so I could get a better CPU in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Yes, with AMD this has ALWAYS been the case with Ryzen.

last gen ryzen CPU's have always been slashed in price when the new gen comes out.

Last gen Ryzen always goes down. I just double checked some of my newegg invoices, AMD RYZEN 5 2600 119.99 after 3600 came out. AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 149.99 after 2nd gen came out.
    There are rumors that 3600 and 3700x will not stop production beacuse there wont be a replacement for the same price, the ones coming out are more expensive upgrades, but those are rumors that came from credible sources, so *shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks again for all the help, in order to get this stuff and spread it out a bit can I get the Mobo and Ram then install my old CPU and save up a bit for the better one? It would be nice if i was able to do that so I could get a better CPU in the end.
    No, that is not possible. CPUs need a compatible socket, and you're on, I think it's AM3? Modern AMD CPUs are on AM4, which have more pins and so isn't compatible. Same with RAM, which is DDR3 with what you have, and you need DDR4 for modern CPUs.

So sadly you'll need to get a new MOBO, CPU, and RAM all at once

No, that is not possible. CPUs need a compatible socket, and you're on, I think it's AM3? Modern AMD CPUs are on AM4, which have more pins and so isn't compatible. Same with RAM, which is DDR3 with what you have, and you need DDR4 for modern CPUs.

So sadly you'll need to get a new MOBO, CPU, and RAM all at once
    Well again I appreciate all the help from everyone, Ill be saving up a bit and buying the parts discussed, maybe I can sell off my old Mobo, CPU, and Ram to someone for cheap and recover a few bucks.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

just make sure that your PSU can run whatever your new parts need. your graphics is still bottom of the list of shit to upgrade. your Mobo is #1, followed by CPU and ram.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    your Mobo is #1, followed by CPU and ram.
    Those are all tied. He literally cannot upgrade one without the others

15+ Year Old Account
    Those are all tied. He literally cannot upgrade one without the others
    I think he meant it as an order of importance. A priority of what's most essential, rather than what to buy first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    I think he meant it as an order of importance. A priority of what's most essential, rather than what to buy first.
    But.. They said "followed by". Which means one first, then the others.

15+ Year Old Account
    But.. They said "followed by". Which means one first, then the others.
    I read that differently I guess. As if he implied, "Your most important part in your upgrade is the motherboard, followed by...."

I could be wrong though.