10+ Year Old Account

Happy Mid Autumn Festival!

Maybe not a holiday that's on everyone's radar, but cheers to you who are or have been in places where this is celebrated.

For those who aren't, here's some food trivia -- a bit of information about different styles of mooncake in China, including things beyond the sweet paste and salty egg yolk that you are likely to think of. https://www.travelchinaguide.com/ess...-mooncakes.htm

With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

I absolutely love Red Bean and White Lotus Mooncakes.

10+ Year Old Account
    never had a mooncake. they don't sell them around here.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

thanks! totally forgot it's coming. i've never had the snow skin mooncake before. what's in it?

10+ Year Old Account
    @Dwarfhamster To be honest, I haven't had one either. Checking around though, it seems that their main point is that they aren't baked:

The crust of snow skin mooncake is made of glutinous rice, which is frozen.[10] The snow skin mooncake is similar to mochi ice cream or yukimi daifuku, as both have glutinous rice crusts and have to be kept frozen.

Snow skin mooncakes are typically white and are served cold, which is why they are named "snow skin". However, mooncakes may have other colors because of added flavors in their crusts. For example, if chocolate is added, the color of the crust might be brown. Green-colored skin is made with the juice of the aromatic Pandan (Pandanus amaryllifolius) leaf, a popular and uniquely South-East Asian flavor.

While traditional mooncakes are usually filled with salted duck egg yolks and lotus seed paste or red bean paste, snow skin mooncakes can be filled with a variety of fillings such as mung bean paste, fruit, green tea, jam, strawberry, chocolate, coffee, cheese.[11] Other flavored fillings include durian, sesame, mango pomelo sago, and purple yam.
    @breadisfunny This probably isn't the best year to try, but you can probably find them online. This year, I'm not sure how much lockdown may have impacted production and shipping.
    @Daedius They're a seasonal treat, so while I find them a bit too sweet for ordinary fare, I can enjoy them for a few days. When I can get them, I tend more towards the Shanxi style: http://shanxi.chinadaily.com.cn/ping...9/c_508193.htm
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Actually, all of them are delicious but my favorite above them all is the red bean.

7+ Year Old Account
    Cake is a lie. Pie is where it's at.

Last edited by smityx; 2020-10-01 at 07:09 AM.