Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Shadowlands Leveling Changes and Level Squish Overview

Shadowlands Leveling Changes and Level Squish
    The pre-expansion patch will squish levels and make significant changes to leveling in World of Warcraft.

Shadowlands Level Squish
    A level squish will be applied with the pre-expansion patch. Your level will be reduced, with a Battle for Azeroth cap of Level 50 and an eventual Shadowlands cap of Level 60.

ExpansionLevel in BFALevel in Shadowlands
    Vanilla6025
    The Burning Crusade7027
    Wrath of the Lich King8030
    Cataclysm8532
    Mists of Pandaria9035
    Warlords of Draenor10040
    Legion11045
    Battle for Azeroth12050

Level in BFALevel in ShadowlandsLevel in BFALevel in Shadowlands
    1164-6726
    2-4268-7127
    5-7372-7528
    8-9476-7929
    10-11580-8130
    12-13682-8331
    14-15784-8532
    16-17886-8733
    18-19988-8934
    20-221090-9135
    23-251192-9336
    26-281294-9537
    29-301396-9738
    32-341498-9939
    35-3615100-10140
    37-3816102-10341
    39-4017104-10542
    41-4218106-10743
    43-4419108-10944
    45-4720110-11145
    48-5021112-11346
    52-5322114-11547
    54-5623116-11748
    57-5924118-11949
    60-632512050

Heirloom Changes and New Set Bonuses
    The new leveling system also brings a few changes to heirlooms. Since players will now level twice as fast as before, the XP bonus has been removed from all heirlooms.

Heirloom armor, necklaces and rings will now form the Regalia of Fabled Adventurers, a heirloom set with unique bonuses.

Regalia of Fabled Adventurers Armor Pieces

Regalia of Fabled Adventurers Set Bonuses
    • Maximizing Rests (2 Set) - Rested experience consumed is reduced by 30%.
    • Battlefield Resourcefulness (3 Set) - Increases your out-of-combat regeneration in the outdoors, normal dungeons and battlegrounds.
    • Flash of Brilliance (5 Set) - Gaining a level triggers Burst of Knowledge, dealing Holy damage to nearby enemies and granting you 40% Primary Stat for 2 min. Defeating enemies extends this effect, up to an additional 2 min.
    • Maximizing Rests (6 Set) - Rested experience consumed is reduced by 30%.

New Starting Experience
    New players to World of Warcraft will start their adventure in Exile's Reach. Veteran players can choose to opt out of this zone and complete the starting experience for their race.

Upon reaching Level 10, players receive the quest Tides of War (Alliance) or Mission Statement (Horde) to start leveling in Battle for Azeroth. Veteran players have an additional option to level through Timewalking Campaigns by talking with Chromie in capital cities.

Chromie Timewalking Campaigns
    Chromie Timewalking Campaigns is a new feature that lets players level their characters from 10 to 50 through any zone and expansion from Vanilla to Legion.

This feature is available only to veteran players that have already leveled a character to 50. New players to the game will have to level a character from 10 to 50 through Battle for Azeroth to unlock this feature.

Originally Posted by MMO-Champion
    The Cataclysm

The people of the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor are fighting to survive after the events of the Cataclysm that occurred after Deathwing's reemergence.

Aid Azeroth's many civilizations in the wake of the aftermath of the Shattering.

Portal to Outland

The Dark Portal to Outland has opened once again, and heroes are needed to answer the call and step bravely onto the shattered world of the orcs.

Conquer this ancient and dying world and stop the Burning Legion from invading Azeroth!

Fall of the Lich King

The frozen wastes of Northrend is where the Lich King, previously known as Arthas Menethil, resides, sending his undead forces to destroy all life on Azeroth.

Answer the Argent Crusade's call to disrupt Arthas's plans, and put his undead scourge on ice!

Wilds of Pandaria

Untouched by war for over 10,000 years, the Horde and Alliance are at war after the disappearance of the White Pawn, but a dark secret lives within the earth. The factions of Azeroth ignored the pandaren's warnings that emotions manifest in dangerous ways in their mystic land.

Pierce the mists and explore the beauty of Pandaria!

The Iron Horde

Garrosh Hellscream has opened the Dark Portal yet again, allowing the Iron Horde to pour forth from Draenor and march against our world.

Establish your garrison and fight alongside the great orcs and draenei of lore!

The Legion Invasion

Powerful Artifact weapons and a foothold to launch strategic strikes in the Broken Isles with your order will be required to stop the Burning Legion's invasion on Azeroth.

Claim your weapon, establish your order hall, and stop the demonic assault on our world!

Death Knights and Demon Hunters Changes
    Beside the Level Squish mentioned above, there are several changes coming to Death Knights and Demon Hunters in Shadowlands.

• To unlock Death Knights and Demon Hunters, players have to finish the Exile's Reach starting experience and reach Level 10.
    • Death Knights start at Level 8 (instead of Level 58) and have to go through their starting experience in Eastern Plaguelands.
    • Allied Race Death Knights start at Level 10 (instead of Level 60) and have to swear fealty to The Lich King in Icecrown Citadel.
    • Demon Hunters start at Level 8 (instead of Level 98) and have to go through their starting experience in Mardum.
    • Upon completing the starting experience of the hero class, players can continue to level their character in Battle for Azeroth or through a Timewalking Campaign (if unlocked).

Shadowlands Riding and Flying Changes
    To accommodate the Leveling Changes and Level Squish mentioned above, Riding and Flying Skills are getting a few quality of life changes in Shadowlands!

Riding RankRiding TypeMount SpeedRequired LevelCost
    Apprentice RidingGround60%Level 101
    Journeyman RidingGround100%Level 2050
    Expert RidingFlying150%Level 30250
    Master RidingFlying310%Level 405000
    Last edited by chaud; 2020-10-12 at 06:12 PM.

Okay so what will happen to my 110 and 120 boosts I have un-used?

Quote Originally Posted by Vidhjerta View Post
    I'd assume they'll get put to whatever level the chart says above
    Last edited by Supernoodles; 2020-10-12 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Supernoodles View Post
    I'd assume they'll get put to whatever level the chat says above
    I hope they considered things like that!

the heirloom set bonuses are still trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidhjerta View Post

They get converted as appropriate, even with a small bonus. A 120 boost is a 50 boost after, naturally, and a 110 boost will convert to a level 48 boost, despite 110 characters only converting to 45.

"Powerful Artifact weapons and a foothold to launch strategic strikes in the Broken Isles with your order will be required to stop the Burning Legion's invasion on Azeroth."
    lol.. did someone at Blizzard forget what happened after the BFA pre patch?

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Something that I haven't seen anyone explain: how will the unlock of the allied races heritage armor requirement of leveling from 20 to 100 work now with the level squish? You now need to only level to 40, acording to that chart?

Mmm. Why will new flying require level 30 (old level 80)? Now you can fly at level 20 (old level 60).

Seems quite the nerf to me? Since you can do 11-50 in the same expansion, why having to ground mount for half the levels?

Quote Originally Posted by vitor210 View Post
    Something that I haven't seen anyone explain: how will the unlock of the allied races heritage armor requirement of leveling from 20 to 100 work now with the level squish? You now need to only level to 40, acording to that chart?
    You need to reach level 50 after the patch

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    lol.. did someone at Blizzard forget what happened after the BFA pre patch?
    Yeah. I don't know how it looks for the other classes, because Paladin was the only one I brought to try Legion leveling, but you can buy weapons in your order hall with 3.5x as much DPS and 27 itemlevels higher that you can use instantly. So, uhhh. The artifact weapon is currently a trap, haven't acquired any relics yet though. I guess the artifact could, at some point, overtake the Order Hall Quartermaster-weapons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    Mmm. Why will new flying require level 30 (old level 80)? Now you can fly at level 20 (old level 60).

Seems quite the nerf to me? Since you can do 11-50 in the same expansion, why having to ground mount for half the levels?
    New level 30 is level 30. Old level 60 is converted to 25. They are not one and the same. Think of it in the new terms, not in the old ones and it starts making sense. Let it go et c.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Yeah. I don't know how it looks for the other classes, because Paladin was the only one I brought to try Legion leveling, but you can buy weapons in your order hall with 3.5x as much DPS and 27 itemlevels higher that you can use instantly. So, uhhh. The artifact weapon is currently a trap, haven't acquired any relics yet though. I guess the artifact could, at some point, overtake the Order Hall Quartermaster-weapons.

- - - Updated - - -

New level 30 is level 30. Old level 60 is converted to 25. They are not one and the same. Think of it in the new terms, not in the old ones and it starts making sense. Let it go et c.
    Weren't relics made into inert grey items? I haven't leveled a character below level 110 after Legion ended so I'm not completely sure.

Hold up, Those boa doesn't give priority stats and off stats anymore? Am i reading this right? Just blank stats but just bonus set?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Weren't relics made into inert grey items? I haven't leveled a character below level 110 after Legion ended so I'm not completely sure.
    I haven't gotten them in the beta yet, but in BFA, the legion content gave relics that provided item level. Their effects, eg artifact talents, were disabled and no longer listed however

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by trapmaster View Post
    Hold up, Those boa doesn't give priority stats and off stats anymore? Am i reading this right? Just blank stats but just bonus set?
    They do give main stats, stamina and secondary stats. The "Heirloom helm" (et c) listed here is a generic item named for the set bonus. The Helm of Valor (et c) still does what it did before.

Ok good, i thought we are actually going to wear boa gears NAKED no stats and stuff. Nvm it's all good.

So what'll happen to level 60 characters that have already learned flying? Will they unlearn the riding skill post 9.0 until they hit level 30?

this level squish is such a stupid idea.
    what's wrong with lv 130? i've played many other MMOs where levels go well above 1k.
    good job inconveniencing the whole playerbase just to remove a digit in an already meaningless and useless number.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post

- - - Updated - - -

It seems a little weird to start an old expansion (at least until WoD) without being able to fly for other 20 levels.

I have more than enough alts but thinking for example to do the first 20 levels of TBC ground mounted gives me chills. Unless the 10-30 segment takes really a couple of hours max (which I doubt).
    Last edited by chiddie; 2020-10-12 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Railander View Post
    this level squish is such a stupid idea.
    what's wrong with lv 130? i've played many other MMOs where levels go well above 1k.
    good job inconveniencing the whole playerbase just to remove a digit in an already meaningless and useless number.
    Because it is too intimidating to new players: while i personally had nothing against level 130, i can understand why they did it.

Another reason (that is actually a good one) is that now nearly every level does not make you weaker, but you gain new powers for it: the reward that you gain something nearly every level is better than having everything at 80 and from 80-120 you gain 1 talent and nothing else. Now you get a new spell on every spell up to 50
    Last edited by Velerios; 2020-10-12 at 07:43 PM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodmos View Post
    You need to reach level 50 after the patch
    Not that bad really, way easier than reaching 110 today
    You don't understand. Having an unpayed full time job that no one appreciates is the magic of classic.

It's about the journey. The journey into depression. The journey of running a daycare full of middle-aged alcoholics ignoring their SOs and avoiding social engagements to fulfill something they wanted 15 years ago before everyone realized it's not hard at all.