Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Also, you've got how things can be super shitty on release. The last release I was actually a part of was WoD and it was a SHITSHOW on release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gd8 View Post
    watching football and playing WoW/video games are not hobbies both are mindlessly consuming media
    I'm curious what you consider a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    I don't understand the joy of being a world first level 60 the day of release then doing what? Dailies for the next 3 days while the rest of the WoW team catches up?
    I used to love getting the Server First! achievements for leveling, before they removed them all. However, I still get the drive to level quickly because I love the aspect of leveling efficiently, as well as the perks of being one of the first max level players. Sometimes joy comes from setting a goal and achieving it, and being the fastest to accomplish something is a valid goal.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    I used to love getting the Server First! achievements for leveling, before they removed them all. However, I still get the drive to level quickly because I love the aspect of leveling efficiently, as well as the perks of being one of the first max level players. Sometimes joy comes from setting a goal and achieving it, and being the fastest to accomplish something is a valid goal.
    Right, but that takes like 8-10 hours if you're leveling fast. People are talking about taking off an entire week. Are you leveling like 3-4 characters?

Taking vacation time for the release of a videogame is not something I've ever even thought about. That being said, who am I to mock people for it? It's your time off, you enjoy it howeer you like. The only caveat is that you pretty much have to assume the risk that there could be a delay. Even if it seems unlikely, the possibility is there.

Also, you've got how things can be super shitty on release. The last release I was actually a part of was WoD and it was a SHITSHOW on release.
    Yeah, I don't think people realize how perfect even just the leveling system needs to be in Shadowlands. I was Horde on WoD release, and I still remember having to grind mobs for 2 levels because the stupid item to build your garrison (which gated ALL the quests in the zone until you hit 92) was broken at launch for hours. Here's the thing about Shadowlands: the entire mandatory campaign questline to access end-game content cannot be broken on launch. I've been doing some dry runs on the beta after character wipes for leveling, and there's still some stuff that's broken and can impede your ability to complete the questine (unless you know some clever workarounds from playing the beta enough). The entire campaign is the same and linear for everyone, both Alliance and Horde... so if something goes wrong, it'll affect everyone. While the questing part of the beta is likely the most polished, the way Shadowlands is structure makes it so that you cannot have a failure in one of the many parts.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Baza View Post
    What are you talking about, football and WoW are the best 2 reasons to take vacations. In fact, I only spent my days on those 2 things the last 10 years. Either flying to UK and watching some premier league games (buying ~200 quid tickets from scalpers) or taking a few days to play the newest WoW expansion. I took more "regular" vacations before, I've been to about 20 countries, but football and WoW are just a better way to spend my free time.
    It's your life and you can live it the way you wish. For me, and this is my personal opinion, a life spent like that is one of the saddest things I've ever read. I rather spend my time reading, learning new things, travelling, planning cool activities with my mates... But as I said, your life is yours, but if someone ever told me to life that way, I think that proposal would be the closest thing to hell I've ever heard.
    Last edited by Nork; 2020-10-02 at 06:18 PM.

Cause I have 28 days of paid vacation left this year and it seemed like a good idea...

Well, i guess i'm taking that vacation a bit later than initially planed.

Right, but that takes like 8-10 hours if you're leveling fast. People are talking about taking off an entire week. Are you leveling like 3-4 characters?
    Depends what your goals are, as leveling is just the first part. In some respects, leveling isn't that important right now in Shadowlands as it's the campaign completion that's important. You also have to keep in mind that people may not have much time to play at all due to their work/life schedules (or the amount of time they can play is split up into tiny chunks), so taking a couple days off allows them to get things done in a more flexible manner. Heck, I still ask my wife for permission to powerlevel every expansion because I have real life responsibilities and a family that are my main focus, but I take this time off every couple of years because it's a fun experience for me.
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    Who are you to judge others for what they choose to spend holidays on? It’s up to them and doesn’t affect you at all
    It's my point of view. If you don't wanna see people giving their opinion about things you post, then don't post them.

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Or you guys can get jobs that dont require you to book days off a year in advances lol.

My work requires 2 weeks notice if I want to book time off.
    Are you aware that some positions are not that easily filled in by a substitute? Especially those where you are part of bigger projects and are cooperating with multiple people. Like how insane that statement is, wtf. Yeah, I'll go work in a minimum wage job so that I can get time off whenever I want because the business doesn't care about my responsibilities and can just set up another goon.

How detached from reality some people are.

OT: I definitely agree. Shadowlands needed a delay (tbh it already looked unreasonable when they announced the date). And I've been waiting for such announcement whole September, as well as I've been waiting with my time off confirmation until the last day, which was Oct 1st. I figured that since the expansion would release in 26 days and no delay was announced, they are just going to stick to their plan anyway.

I should have expected that they would have waited until the very last moment, which is Oct 1st. It's so "blizzard" way. Ofc Oct 1st is the begining of Q4. Imagine how many people just renewed their subscription because prepatch is near and expansion releases in 26 days. Imagine how many people pre-ordered SL on that day, because it's the month of the release, whereas they wouldn't if they knew the date was moved to later.

They had a whole month to announce this decision. Hell, they could have announced it on the last day of September and I wouldn't be that disappointed in them. But by doing this just on the first day of Q4 shows their intentions. And no typical "we care about players, we care about quality" bullshit will hide it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    This field schedules days off a full year in advanced. You bid based off seniority amongst your coworkers. You can also take individual days in the middle of a year if you have the PTO saved for them and the day has not been bid on.
    That's the absolute shittiest way to get time off ever.

Quote Originally Posted by LeifErikson View Post
    It's my point of view. If you don't wanna see people giving their opinion about things you post, then don't post them.
    This message and your previous message is just showing you don't care that you are calling other people's life hell and you don't care how your words affect others...
    So rude...

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Heck, I still ask my wife for permission to powerlevel every expansion because I have real life responsibilities and a family that are my main focus, but I take this time off every couple of years because it's a fun experience for me.
    Biggest of oofs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I'm curious what you consider a hobby.
    anything physically or mentally stimulating/enriching. mindlessly and passively consuming media is not enriching or stimulating

Quote Originally Posted by LeifErikson View Post
    It's your life and you can live it the way you wish. For me, and this is my personal opinion, a life spent like that is one of the saddest things I've ever read. I rather spend my time reading, learning new things, travelling, planning cool activities with my mates... But as I said, your life is yours, but if someone ever told me to life that way, I think that proposal would be the closest thing to hell I've ever heard.
    For me your "way of life" might as well be useless because it won't matter when you die. Being this judgemental of people and so arrogant is the saddest thing here.

Not gonna lie, my co-workers made fun of one of our former developers who took a week off for BFA. Also, BFA sucked balls.

Part of the problem, imo, is there just isn't a ton to do in the game that early in the expansion unless you're just gold making. The leveling is 8-10 hours then you need to wait for other people to also level up before you can start doing dungeons and progressing a character. In some cases, you need to wait for crafters to catch up, in the case of stuff like trinkets.

I don't understand the joy of being a world first level 60 the day of release then doing what? Dailies for the next 3 days while the rest of the WoW team catches up?
    I've never had the issue with waiting for people to catch up. There's always things to do immediately upon reaching end game + the rest or your guild / friend group should be hitting cap right around when you do. Have never had to wait to be able to do things for days.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post
    This message and your previous message is just showing you don't care that you are calling other people's life hell and you don't care how your words affect others...
    So rude...
    Rude? What are you talking about? If you talk about your lifestyle in a forum, be prepared to be criticised. I don't know where you're from, but playing the victim card doesn't really work with Europeans, maybe in the States it does...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by keymil View Post
    For me your "way of life" might as well be useless because it won't matter when you die. Being this judgemental of people and so arrogant is the saddest thing here.
    It's fine if you think so, it doesn't matter to me. The real problem is when you get angry due to a stranger's point of view. That only shows a quite fragile personality.

I really don't envy you guys for those paid leave conditions... Germany sucks in many things, paid leave is not one of them, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Or you guys can get jobs that dont require you to book days off a year in advances lol.

My work requires 2 weeks notice if I want to book time off.
    Some of us are more essential than just any meatbag being there lol.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english