Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LeifErikson View Post
    Rude? What are you talking about? If you talk about your lifestyle in a forum, be prepared to be criticised. I don't know where you're from, but playing the victim card doesn't really work with Europeans, maybe in the States it does...
    It wasn't even my message, I am just surprised by your approach to other people... as are other people, see previous messages...
    Looks like you are also a bit nationalistic ... but no, I am not from the states
    Last edited by Logen Ninefingers; 2020-10-02 at 06:37 PM. Reason: spelling

I don't worry about it, I took early retirement so i can spend some time while i'm young enough to still enjoy life and able to still do stuff before confined to a wheelchair..

Why is a Thread like this still open when its headlines' sole purpose is to harass people taking time off for a hobby ^^

Quote Originally Posted by skynet1990 View Post
    Why is a Thread like this still open when its headlines' sole purpose is to harass people taking time off for a hobby ^^
    Because there's more to it than just the title. Let's read a little bit past the cover shall we?
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by skynet1990 View Post
    To find out - read the original post. ^^
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    I'd say close it. People take off work for games all the time. PTO is to relax off-work, regardless of whatever activity that is. I myself, and people I work with, have taken off for game/console launches many times. People spend time scrapbooking and going to conventions for really far-out hobbies, taking off for a game in today's society is not unusual at all. In fact what I would say is strange is complaining about how other people spend their days off lol.

I think this started as an indirect complaint about the SL launch delay, that people planned to take those days off work and had them scheduled. I don't have a lot of sympathy for that (very entitled) complaint. It's a month away, there is more than plenty of time to reschedule the PTO if you want, or don't and spend it doing something else on October 26th.

Quote Originally Posted by Othraerir View Post
    I used to take my holidays for the World Cup/Euro Champs
    what a waste of time

I've taken vacation to play games. I've taken vacation to rest. I rarely go abroad but it's my holiday days and I'll damn well spend them how I want.
    RETH

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post
    It wasn't even my message, I am just surprised by your approach to other people... as are other people, see previous messages...
    Looks like you are also a bit nationalistic ... but no, I am not from the states
    I love your argumentum ad populum. Honestly, I'm surprised by your snowflake behaviour. "YOU'RE RUDE BECAUSE YOU GAVE YOUR OPINION! WHAT A NASTY PERSON YOU ARE!!".

Nationalistic? Oh my god... Yeah, I stick my country flag in my garden to show how much I love it, and I'm proud of forcing kids to sing our national anthem every morning looking at a piece of cloth. Oh wait, sorry, that's not my country (thankfully)... My mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    Been seeing this echoed across the official forums, MMOC, and Wowhead. Let me put some perspective to this one.

To start, I absolutely am okay with Blizzard choosing to delay Shadowlands, it was evident it was lacking some polish. Less straightforward is the reason for choosing October 1st, which some could argue shows they are still more focused on the Shareholder's than players. However, I am not here to give my opinion on either topic.

I am posting because I have seen a variation of the thread title posted throughout the internet in response to people rather upset they cannot get days they scheduled off back. My career changed drastically a year ago into a field I never thought I would be in. This field schedules days off a full year in advanced. You bid based off seniority amongst your coworkers. You can also take individual days in the middle of a year if you have the PTO saved for them and the day has not been bid on.

For Shadowlands I originally was quite lucky. The day after launch was a day off. However, I quickly went to bid on the following 3 days just to secure some extra time. I got one. I had to work hard to secure that day. I have the luxury of being in a position where my PTO is 14 hours granted per month that carries over per month.

People like me have no issue with this schedule change. I can go schedule more days off to relax and do what helps keep me less stressed when the new date is announced. Someone who is much less privileged would not be so lucky. For some people to even be granted a single day off, even in the Western World, is extremely rare. And to have to fight hard for that day and have them change it, in some peoples' opinions, at the last minute, really sours their mood.

TL;DR - Not everyone uses PTO for actual vacations. I use mine for errands and destressing. So instead of lambasting people for being upset they lost valuable time off work for the release, maybe, instead, you should focus looking at a bigger picture to their situation.

Thanks.

I understand why it's frustrating for people to lose their vacation days because of the delay. But too many of these people are mad at Blizzard and blaming them.

The reality is, you should be mad at an economy that has most companies that are stingy with days off, and leaves employees with so little free time that they feel the need to schedule days off a month to a year in an advance JUST to be able to enjoy their hobby.

This is wrong, and it's a shame that many people don't see this as the core problem.

Quote Originally Posted by LeifErikson View Post
    "YOU'RE RUDE BECAUSE YOU GAVE YOUR OPINION! WHAT A NASTY PERSON YOU ARE!!".
    There is a difference between
    1) I prefer to read a book but I do respect your opinion
    2) I prefer to read a book, I would never take time of for games...
    3) YOUR LIFE IS HELL HOW CAN YOU LIVE WITH YOURSELF
    I hope I don't need to point out which approach you are taking...

I think I've only booked holidays for games once in my life, but most vacations I've booked have been just to get away from work for a while. It's as legitimate as booking time to go on a vacation to another country, and no one should feel it's OK to belittle others who book time off.

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Or you guys can get jobs that dont require you to book days off a year in advances lol.

My work requires 2 weeks notice if I want to book time off.
    "Just get a better job" is a shit rhetoric.

Marketable skills. Location. Work-life requirements. Commuting limits.

These are just some of the things that stop people from moving out of shit, low-skill jobs, and getting away from employers that barely even consider them entitled to time away from work. If you ain't got marketable skills, you're stuck. If you don't want to move away from friends and family, you're stuck. If you have work-life commitments such as kids, you're probably stuck. If you don't want to lose 3 hours a day commuting, you're stuck.

That's also assuming the jobs are actually out there if you do have marketable skills. Beggars can't be choosers, but that doesn't mean those folks should be condemned to ridiculous conditions like not being able to take their legally entitled holiday time off because some big corporate entity "can't manage it because they just can't get people to cover", even though it's a low skill job that is done by hundreds of other people in the same building every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Redzonetode View Post
    I understand why it's frustrating for people to lose their vacation days because of the delay. But too many of these people are mad at Blizzard and blaming them.

The reality is, you should be mad at an economy that has most companies that are stingy with days off, and leaves employees with so little free time that they feel the need to schedule days off a month to a year in an advance JUST to be able to enjoy their hobby.

This is wrong, and it's a shame that many people don't see this as the core problem.
    why not both?

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh. I get why people do this but the bitching at Blizzard on the official forums is a bit pathetic. Some venting, sure. But anyone who takes time off not just to play a video game but to play it the day it comes out has to realize there's always risk there. The servers might suck. There might be bugs. etc.

"They could have told us sooner" is a little silly too. They likely knew it was a possibility two weeks ago, but they weren't going to push the date 3 months ago. If you had to schedule PTO months ago it wouldn't have mattered whether they told you on October 1st or September 1st. If you just scheduled it... reschedule. If you can't... that sucks, but you took a gamble and lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post
    There is a difference between
    1) I prefer to read a book but I do respect your opinion
    2) I prefer to read a book, I would never take time of for games...
    3) YOUR LIFE IS HELL HOW CAN YOU LIVE WITH YOURSELF
    I hope I don't need to point out which approach you are taking...
    You're twisting my words, and it's so funny. Anyway, I find kind of weird that you're trying to tell me how to give my opinion. Life is harsh, boy. Not everybody is gonna tell you things throwing flowers at your feet. You're just angry and you're whining because somebody said that he doesn't like that kind of life. Because the fact is that what I said, without caps, is that that kind of lifestyle, if proposed, it'd be hell to me. That's all, mate. But as I said before, you're just showing how fragile your personality is, almost like a snowflake.

Calm down, geezer. It's just a different point of view, get over it.
    Last edited by Nork; 2020-10-02 at 07:16 PM.

Days off to play a video game is a little dumb in my opinion, I would definitely laugh at them (internally), just as days off to watch soccer or any sport at all (unless you're the one actually playing them).
    But well... people are free to waste their time the way that pleases them more, it's not like it affects me somehow.

I feel like I should be able to sympathize, but I kinda can't. Video games have been my passion since 93 and yet I've never allocated time-off just for them. When MGSV was released I got it in the midnight launch and played till 5am, but still went to work few hours later, after squeezing some z's for an hour or two. Really, the games can wait. You will still have the booked time off to spend for other things and WoW will still be there to play after you've finished work for the day.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

I've always assumed why people do that, is because of the following.

Those people do not want to compete with others to get to max level and wants to get into the end game as fast as possible. So any advantage they see, they will take. Including either calling in sick or getting PTO.

Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    Part of the problem, imo, is there just isn't a ton to do in the game that early in the expansion unless you're just gold making. The leveling is 8-10 hours then you need to wait for other people to also level up before you can start doing dungeons and progressing a character. In some cases, you need to wait for crafters to catch up, in the case of stuff like trinkets.

I don't understand the joy of being a world first level 60 the day of release then doing what? Dailies for the next 3 days while the rest of the WoW team catches up?
    Literally have never run out of things to do the first week an expansion launches. But then I clearly don't play the same way you do. Leveling, especially the first time through a new expansion, will take me way more than 8 to 10 hours because I do things like read quest text, go wandering and explore, etc. I don't race to max level, I get there when I get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzyfurious View Post
    I've always assumed why people do that, is because of the following.

Those people do not want to compete with others to get to max level and wants to get into the end game as fast as possible. So any advantage they see, they will take. Including either calling in sick or getting PTO.
    You've assumed incorrectly.

I mean, maybe you're right in some cases, but since I can use myself as an example to prove your assumption wrong, I'll do just that.

I never even think about racing to max level. I don't see the point. When a new expansion launches, the journey is what the game is all about for me. Why would I want to race to the end?

But I have a 9 to 5 job that's often more than 9 to 5 and it's nice to be able to just take a break from that and play as much as I please for a bit. It's the cheapest vacation you can take

As seems typical on these forums, people assume everyone plays the same way they do and that the only reason people play is to finish end game content as fast as possible so they can... complain on the forums that there's no content I guess.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    That's not unpopular, it's just wrong.

It's their vacation time, if they want to use it to go fishing, or skiing, or do underwater basket weaving, or sit around the house drinking beer in nothing but socks, or play video games, that's their right to. Vacation is most of the time used for one thing, your hobby, whatever that may be.

There's zero difference between taking time off for a game launch and taking time off to go watch the indy 500.
    You seem not to understand what an opinion is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Exodeus View Post
    What are these "responsibilities" you are talking about?
    Do you think these people are just ignoring their kids, spouses and pets and putting themselves in financial peril?
    I think you need to grow up if you think taking a few days for yourself is childish.
    I did not say that! I believe the people who are complaining about this need to grow up for the reasons I stated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Krimzin View Post
    Who are you to say they don't have their priorities straight? My wife is a prime example, she gets 5 weeks a year she has to take or lose. With all the nonsense going on we talked about different places to go on vacation but most aren't worth the headache. She is just goin to take a week starting today to do nothing, just to veg. WoW is a important Hobby for a lot of people and choosing to spend THEIR PTO playing WoW, is not wrong or childish. Trying to tell someone how to live their life is wrong. If they are taking care of their families and paying their bills who gives 2 shits how they spend their time. Quit worrying about what others are doing with their free time and worry about yourself. If Id have had to actually schedule time off and it got screwed up, I'd be pissed too.
    And you have the right to feel that way. My opinion is that people who are getting upset because they can't spend their time off playing a video game need to grow up. I could have articulated that more carefully but it's just my opinion. Dedicating time to a video game and getting upset when it doesn't go your way (not you, the people complaining) is in my opinion, childish.