Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Do people IRL know you play WoW

Ive got some friends who know and others who don't.
    I don't hide it at all. I just don't talk about it with friends unless they play also.
    I love the looks you get when you tell people you can't do something..dinner or whatever because you have a raid starting in 2 hours.
    Good times

*Edit*
    I also run Horde stickers on my Vehicles. Represent
    Last edited by Krimzin; 2020-10-02 at 10:37 PM.
    Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever
    Go Fast or Go Slow

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station Light or Battle Station Dark

Most people I hang out with regularly know. Most of them are people that also play or that I met through the game. Only some of my coworkers know, though that's mostly because it hasn't come up.

Most of my group of 10-20 friends play it almost every expansion, some of us don't and aren't too happy as they lose their mates for a few months but what can you do.

7+ Year Old Account
    Most old people I know have no idea what WoW is so I ususally just say I play videogames amongst my many hobbies, but if I meet other gamers I usually mention WoW sooner or later. Most people who knows me also knows I play WoW.

Yes they do. I take days off of work to play.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    Most old people I know have no idea what WoW is so I ususally just say I play videogames amongst my many hobbies, but if I meet other gamers I usually mention WoW sooner or later. Most people who knows me also knows I play WoW.
    LOL most old people.. thats great
    Best Duo Ever
    Go Fast or Go Slow

Yes everyone knows!

But when i was single i will admit i wouldn't tell girls i play WoW

Christ no. I'm 45 years old and an academic. I'd be laughed out of town. And then laughed even further out of town. (Mind you, it'd be the same with any other videogame).

I dont even think they know I game lol

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Christ no. I'm 45 years old and an academic. I'd be laughed out of town. And then laughed even further out of town. (Mind you, it'd be the same with any other videogame).
    You might be surprised by how many people in your age bracket play.
    There are a lot of us around.
    Best Duo Ever
    Go Fast or Go Slow

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krimzin View Post
    I don't hide it at all. I just don't talk about it with friends unless they play also.
    I love the looks you get when you tell people you can't do something..dinner or whatever because you have a raid starting in 2 hours.
    Good times
    My family and friends know, but I don't bring it up where it doesn't make sense, like at a work conference. But if someone asks what do I like to do in my spare time, I tell em. My passion for the game is pretty evident and I don't hide it, so when it comes up, I try to engage people in it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm 52 brother, no one judges.

Out loud of course.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Yep, every single one of the people I encounter for more than 20 minutes sooner or later ask what hobbies I have, at which point I tell them my long list including gaming, at which point they'll ask me about what games I play (they never ask about Aquaponics) and at that point WoW comes up, naturally.

Never was one to care about other people's opinion, really.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post
    I'm 52 brother, no one judges. Out loud of course.
    51 Here, could care less what people think.
    Age is a state of mind. Raided in the same guild all through BFA and just told them my age couple months ago and they all thought I was lying.

I don't act my age, I doubt I ever will. I enjoy life.
    Best Duo Ever
    Go Fast or Go Slow

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of them. If they are into games and/or play WoW (which is the case for several of both my friends and family) themselves then probably. If they aren't or don't, then probably not. I'm not embarrassed by it or anything; it just seems unlikely that we'd talk specifically about what games I play when they'd be unfamiliar with them anyway.

That said, it's no secret to anyone that knows me that I am into gaming as a general hobby, though since I have a related day job, ample gaming tee shirts and hoodies, and will enthusiastically discuss the topic when brought up, but I don't really go into details about the hobby with people who aren't familiar with it unless they inquire. It's the same reason why I don't go into depths about the style of martial arts I train with people who aren't also into martial arts. No one cares and it doesn't mean anything to them anyway.

Edit: Yeah, if yall think you are outliers playing in your 40s and 50s, you really aren't. The average age in my guild is mid-to-late 40s but we have multiple people over that, including my own father and uncle. Even someone who started playing WoW as a teenager would be around 30 at this point.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2020-10-02 at 10:51 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Most of my friends who are into gaming know, I used to wear my Horde pin at work, and I have a Horde decal on my red car. When I travel this month, I'm going to swap out to my Horde earring as well.

Lok'tar Ogar!

10+ Year Old Account
    Ye of course, i play it fairly regulary so obviously they know.

That is one silly and unhealthy mindset, if i ever saw one.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Good times

*Edit*
    I also run Horde stickers on my Vehicles. Represent
    Yes. Everyone knows i can't do stuff on Montag and thursday evenings cause of wow.
    If i would be ashamed i would not do it and i explained it good enough that Everyone understands.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    No im not gonna nerd out irl to my beta friends im a beta male

7+ Year Old Account
    LOL most old people.. thats great
    I'm 32 though so by old I mean anyone over 50 :P And I know a lot of those.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a funny question. Not funny ha ha. When I was younger/when the game came out there was still a heavy stigma about gamers/gaming, and especially "online" games which ran the gamut of any MMORPG, MUD, and so on. People used to really stigmatize (our) chosen genre, and still do.

I used to not tell anyone I played online games, and specifically WoW. Now I'm old enough not to really care. I don't advertise it per se, but I'll talk shop if it comes up.