Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Those who know what WoW is also know I play it. The rest are oblivious to both things. WoW isn't as mainstream as it used to be.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Some do, sure, when and where it's relevant. There's a lot of people where I work that play WoW as well as other games and discuss them rather frequently. Taking a look at my desk is also a pretty dead giveaway that I'm a gamer what with the plush Turret from Portal, my Frostmourne letter opener, and more than a few Pop! figures based on various game IP's (WoW, God of War, Diablo, and Castlevania).
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Anyone who asks me what video games I play I always say I play WoW.

I’m 25 started playing wrath when I was a kid. My immediate friends know (I have a small circle) but other then that I don’t really tell people unless we are close. ESPECIALLY with girls I’m tryna smash lmaooo unless I’m in a relationship then I don’t care

3+ Year Old Account
    Well, I often wear shirts that have Bwonsamdi on them, so yes? But, I've actually haven't had anyone recognize who it is on the shirt yet
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    Most old people I know have no idea what WoW is so I ususally just say I play videogames amongst my many hobbies, but if I meet other gamers I usually mention WoW sooner or later. Most people who knows me also knows I play WoW.
    This. It's not worth explaining to older people, and as for my own generation I keep on the down-low. There's still a massive stigma and I cannot be bothered dealing with that anymore. So if I think someone is worth being my friend, I'll tell them I play WoW specifically. If other people ask I'll say computer games, and then WoW in particular if they ask.

Still pretty closet about it lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Akhlys View Post
    Once upon a time, boats were full of leaks. Now, our leaks are full of boats.

All my friends and coworkers know. So do my students.

Yeah they do...they ask me "For how long have you played?"

Me: Dont ask....mygod plz dont ask...i need to quit.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, I'm not ashamed of playing. WoW isn't nearly as childish as Pokemon and every person I meet knows I play that due the Blastoise tattoo on my arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post

That is one silly and unhealthy mindset, if i ever saw one.
    Admittedly if I was a tenured academic I'd be more relaxed about it.

Anyway, I'm not judging anyone here (obviously). You do you, folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    All of my friends and most co-workers are aware. I also have real-life friends who play with me from time to time.

Sure, if I mention it as a hobby of gaming... but I don't advertise it with merchandise and what have you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes and I have literally no shame in it. These days people don’t care if you like to play video games whatever the genre.
    ”I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me."-Sylvanas Windrunner

I keep it to a minimum because adult males having their main hobby being gaming are STILL hard looked down on.

We're just losers in alot of people's eyes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phaelia View Post
    Yes and I have literally no shame in it. These days people don’t care if you like to play video games whatever the genre.
    Not my experience, but glad to hear it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny little side story my father is a minister and he used to call it World of Witchcraft always got a kick out of that
    ”I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me."-Sylvanas Windrunner

they used to know, nowadays they are surprised when they find out i still play it.

Yup. Don’t give a damn about what others think. I’ll tell anybody.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krimzin View Post
    Ive got some friends who know and others who don't.
    I don't hide it at all. I just don't talk about it with friends unless they play also.
    I love the looks you get when you tell people you can't do something..dinner or whatever because you have a raid starting in 2 hours.
    Good times

*Edit*
    I also run Horde stickers on my Vehicles. Represent
    Yes, a couple of RL friends. And my bf too, he used to play as well - but he quit in WoD and doesn't want to play anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Everyone I was in the military with knows I do. Anyone I have on social media knows I do as well.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    Most old people I know have no idea what WoW is so I ususally just say I play videogames amongst my many hobbies, but if I meet other gamers I usually mention WoW sooner or later. Most people who knows me also knows I play WoW.
    How old is "old people"? Man, I was 26 when WoW came out, and I bet you're talking about like 40-somethings... I'm 42 now... young whippersnappers... get off my lawn!

I think most people who discuss games at all know I've played WoW, it's one of the games non-gamers are most likely to have heard of and have some vague grasp on (certainly for PC games).

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Christ no. I'm 45 years old and an academic. I'd be laughed out of town. And then laughed even further out of town. (Mind you, it'd be the same with any other videogame).
    Wow, really? Half the academics I know, who are barely any younger than you, play games of various descriptions. But maybe your colleagues are 50+ or the like? I find there's a pretty steep drop-off on the percentage of people who play games at all when you get into the 50s.