Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    People know I play. It’s no secret I play games, and WoW is included. I don’t hide it but I also don’t talk about it either.
    If I talk to another gamer then sure, we’ll talk back and forth, but most people I work with don’t play games so it doesn’t come up a lot.

A few of my friends know, but the majority that aren’t gamers don’t know and nor do they care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yea everyone I know knows. The more funny thing is that after 15 years when I bring up that game the usual response is "Wait you still play that game" or "that game is still going" :P

Yeah, everyone I know knows that I am playing WoW.
    Most of them don't know the game at all, some do.

I only really hang out with my Wife and kids so not really much to "Friends" But Id never let a video game take me away from me hanging out with my family or the few friends that I actually hang out with. But in the end everyone knows Im a Nerd and play video games, I also build killer Hot Rods and people find those 2 things in the same person to be pretty funny, Hell I even do.

They do.

None of them play wow unfortunately so I can't really nerd it out.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    How old is "old people"? Man, I was 26 when WoW came out, and I bet you're talking about like 40-somethings... I'm 42 now... young whippersnappers... get off my lawn!
    I'm 32 if that helps :P Old to me is 50+. They are usually the people who barely know videogames. Go 60+ and they don't have a clue.

People IRL don't know me. Those that do, most likely know.

My friends do, as do my family who are at my generation or younger. The older generation don't know the difference between WoW and Game of Thrones.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

They do and they are very proud of me cause of that.

Or maybe they are not...
    Maybe it's just me who's proud for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Christ no. I'm 45 years old and an academic. I'd be laughed out of town. And then laughed even further out of town. (Mind you, it'd be the same with any other videogame).
    Back in 2009 I had to get hernia surgery and was surprised to talk with the surgeon about raiding Ulduar because he asked me what I was going to do while sitting at home. He was really into raiding and he did a damn good job on my surgery since I haven't had a problem with it since then. he was probably in his mid 30s at the time so now if he still plays he is in his late 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Yep, every single one of the people I encounter for more than 20 minutes sooner or later ask what hobbies I have, at which point I tell them my long list including gaming, at which point they'll ask me about what games I play (they never ask about Aquaponics) and at that point WoW comes up, naturally.

Never was one to care about other people's opinion, really.
    ppl are weird, not even ask what is Aquaponics, cuz in my xp...nobody really knows and it's so interesting subject to talk about

about WoW, well....been playing it for 15 years, some close ppl know.... to others i dont really mention unless subject of games comes out in conversation.
    It was interesting back in TBC and Wraith when I considered raiding like a really important thing....and we had DKP penalties for not showing up if you signed up....to tell ppl who know nothing about WoW - sorry, I gotta go I have a raid in 30 mins

today, with the flex raids, it doesnt really matters you show up or not.... plus I dont make raiding that important part of my everyday life anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    I'm 32 if that helps :P Old to me is 50+. They are usually the people who barely know videogames. Go 60+ and they don't have a clue.
    I'm 51 and started playing wow back in 2005 and have been into video games since the 1970s. Most people my age that actually had a family stopped playing video games in the 1980s and those games were so simple that they got boring pretty quick. My generation have no idea how amazing the games have become with stories and experiences that a movie cannot offer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. I often wear wow related apparel, and sometimes random people ask me what server I play on and so on.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

15+ Year Old Account
    Back in 2011 I started a new job (around the time we were wiping in BWD), and by September of 2012, I was bucking for manager, as ours had quit. Our regional boss had come in to oversee things for a bit and to see if I had the chops. We got to talking and she asked me what I did for fun; I told her I played WoW and she was curious and polite about it. When Mists launched, I had bought the CE and the CE guide, and I was reading the guide during lunch, and she saw the theme and asked me questions about it. She started calling me Panda after that.

I got the job, been in the industry ever since. And as said before, I tell anyone who asks. I have a Horde decal begging yo go in my car window when I stop being lazy and out it there. I mean, my wife only bought it 4 years ago
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

My career would be ruined if it got out that not only do I play WoW, but video games in general. Which is fine by me. Games are a way for me to escape life. IRL, I don't want to talk about WoW or gaming with people. People who use those topics in a real life social setting, have always been losers and dipshits in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Christ no. I'm 45 years old and an academic. I'd be laughed out of town. And then laughed even further out of town. (Mind you, it'd be the same with any other videogame).
    I am 43 and my Wife is 39. She also owns her own business and is very prominent in the industry she is in. We both don't even try to hide that we still play video games, matter of fact, we often brag about how we met in game.

No one really cares about that, they only care about the quality of work that we do.

I think you will be fine if you came out of the gaming closet, you would probably even find out that some of your fellow colleagues play games too.

Back in WoTLK one of the Warlocks in my old guild that downed LK with us was in his 60's and a former competitive downhill skier and in TBC our raid leader was an attorney IRL.

Some do, but I usually just tell people that I like videogames if they are not into gaming themselves. No need to explain what WoW is or how it works to the laymen

I don't ever recall anyone laughing at Vin Diesel, Kristian Nairn, Robin Williams, Dave Chappelle, Mila Kunis, Felicia Day, Jamie Lee Curtis, Elijah Wood, Dominic Monaghan or Jonathan Davis or for having played Blizzard games in the past.

Some might argue that because they are actors, they have that freedom. So why should the rules apply differently to them?

If someone gets their panties twisted in a knot over the fact that someone likes to enjoy some harmless digital recreation, they are honestly not worth my time.

10+ Year Old Account
    My kids know, rest of my family kind of knows. At work, not really, I have been known to casually mention I play World of Warcraft, some know the name and say "oh really?" others have no clue what it is. I generally tell people I have an "on line meeting" regularly every Tuesday and Wednesday. Nobody questions As too the comment about "old people", I really had to laugh. I think half my guild raid team are over the young age of 50. We have a number of retirees who actively raid.