Poll: Favorite In-Game Old God

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Favorite In-Game Old God Encounter

Of the three Old Gods we can encounter in-game - C'thun, Yogg-Saron, and N'Zoth - which did you like best? Use whatever factors you feel like - raid encounter, general lore, use in story, etc.

I'd rank them by Yogg>N'Zoth>C'Thun, strictly by their fight encounter.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Yogg-Saron is the winner here.

Yogg > N'zoth >>>>>>>>> C'thun

Yogg, I'm biased though. Having started in WotLK it was my very first progress end boss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    For memorableness for me personally, C'Thun probably takes the cake - I think seeing his giant eye before fighting the Twin Emperors actually made me feel a bit of true horror, but then his actual presence in fight in AQ40 was like fighting something out of Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness. Yogg-Saron would be a close second for me, especially with that initial fake out of Sara floating above that lime-green pool.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Yoggi easily. His reveal speech is just epic.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yogg because of the way it's handled (less of a direct fight, which seems right for an old god), and just the general vibe is really good - plus the detailed difficulty selection with the Titans felt quite right for a fight of that lore-importance.

C'thun was a lot cooler until we actually got to the fight. The zone as fun, the fight seemed kind of lame.

N'Zoth I have to admit I haven't actually done (I've kind of given up on raiding atm, I want to find a friendly guild who want to raid but not "push Mythic" or whatever, and don't have punishing raiding schedules, and I haven't been able to locate one), but based on videos and so on it looks pretty interesting but thematically/stylistically not as on-point as Yogg.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Yoggi easily. His reveal speech is just epic.
    It is amazing. Yogg just have this ominous presence all the way through Ulduar. How you descend through cracked glass windows into the depths and then find him there in his prison and he slowly reveals himself with that creepy voice change from Sif to his own dark gravely voice.

Also this: God of Madness

I am the lucid dream ... the monster in your nightmares ..

Nuff said

Y’shaarj. Done.

5+ Year Old Account
    Yoggy, easily. He's just the coolest and the place where we fight him is WAY cooler than where we fight the other two.

Seriously Ulduar was a fucking masterpiece. They've never again made anything like it.
    Last edited by enigma77; 2020-10-04 at 01:09 PM.

Yogg Saron is so iconic
    ...that's just my opinion, anyway.

All of this cosmological stuff is too boring for me. I'd like to get Warcraft back, please. my thing is killing defias and orcs.

Yogg not close.

Wasn't a perfect fight, but out of the three it was the best one. C'thun is just boring AF, and N'zoth is an absolute travesty.

Yogg. It also caps off the best raid of the three by a mile, which definitely helps. Not including Algalon, of course.

Yogg easily wins, his speeches alone make him the best, alongside the cool visuals.

N'zoth isn't that bad, but mechanically he's not a great boss apart from the burst phase at the end, and his arena lacks visual flair... apart from the times you're in the mind realm where you need to constantly watch your feet and thus can't appreciate anything else.

C'thun is a big dumb eye thing with barely any voice lines and meh mechanics, mostly suffering from being a vanilla boss.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Yogg and the scenes that suggest he was involved in major events of Azeroth

No contest Yogg hands down best, N'Zoth was lazy and C'thun was a typical vanilla encounter.

Looking back I don't really think any of the old god fights have truly been the complete package.
    The Yogg-saron fight is probably the closest, what with having the slow buildup reminiscent of C'thun as well as some mental battles with the pseudo-flashback sequences. The problem was that the fight itself is pretty boring overall.

In a sense the only old god fight where I truly felt the right combination of slow buildup and mechanics integrating into the story naturally would be Garrosh. The constant whispers trying to goad you into accepting the corruption by turning on your friends worked brilliantly both in-game and on a meta level with quotes like "You are better than your companions".
    It was also paced well, starting with regular foot soldiers and weapons, and then slowly going more and more insane, incorporating corrupted attacks from Garrosh, being pulled into his mind and seeing his insanity, and of course the final showstopper of the secret Mythic phase pulling you into a ruined Stormwind where we see his vision for the future.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

There is no contest.

Yogg didn't have an entire raid zone dedicated to his Kingdom, he didn't get a cinematic to hype him up. He was the final boss of a tier that lasted for a VERY short time, with mentions around the world of Northrend.

And he's leagues ahead of what they could produce for N'Zoth. I was legit so scared the first time we entered Yogg's chamber, that I was trembling. The atmosphere, the voice acting and the visual of Yogg himself is just amazing.

I'm deeply disappointed by how they realized N'Zoth in-game.