Poll: Favorite In-Game Old God

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Yogg is easily my favorite. However relative to time, C'thun isn't far behind. Back then he was very iconic despite not holding up well to modern mechanics/gameplay.

N'zoth was just dissapointing.

I vote for vanilla Yogg-urt.

Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    Also this: God of Madness
    haha

Yogg despite his cheesy dialogue: "I am the monster in your nightmares" *cringe*
    Last edited by metzger84; 2020-10-04 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    I am the lucid dream ... the monster in your nightmares ..
    The Fiend of a Thousand Faces!

1. Yogg-saron
    2. N'zoth
    3. C'thun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yogg is in his own league compared to the others. Just seeing him for the first time back in the day blew me away.

Thanks to the sheer amount of relatively subtle build-up i'd say Yogg-Saron takes the cake.
    Then second is C'thun, because it too had a build-up and surrounding events that just made it extremely epic.

I do not dislike N'zoth, but going "in yo FACE!" is not the kind of thing that fits an old god, even an unleashed one.
    Additionally it did not help that his hand was so veiled during most of the expansion that it just sort of felt like he came out of the blue.

Doesn't help that Sylvanas basically stole the show while we (maybe?) beat him into a pulpo pulp.

Ny'alotha felt way too cramped to be anything close to what was hyped to be too, so the presentation simply felt like it fell short relatively to the other two, who were exactly the way you'd think they were (C'thun being an old god still recovering from mortal injury in his sort of makeshift bastion, Yogg-Saron still being half-chained in the prison that he had mostly subverted)

Yshaarj missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbselle View Post
    Yshaarj missing?
    We haven't fought him.
    The Sha are just echoes of his breath, and Garrosh's dive into his heart was more comparable to Cho'Gall's eye-infusion by C'thun.

I loved C'thun in vanilla, but I must admit that Yogg was practically the same thing but done better. Especially when you consider their raids as a whole, as AQ was fine but Ulduar is to this day the best raid in the game in terms of theme and atmosphere.

Both are in my top5 of raid fights thematically since I love Lovecraftian horrors. N'zoth was a joke in comparison.

Yogg and its not even a contest. He remained this mysterious creature who had tales of being the size of Northrend and living underneath it, and it took till the end of Storm Peaks where we saw that he has corrupted the watchers in Ulduar (except Thorim until later) from within his own prison which he broke out. His entire build up as a character was spot on, and makes for an excellent side story where we don't deal with the Lich King who doesn't seem to mind Yogg screwing around.

C'thun was also a solid encounter but he didn't have any build up outside of Ahn'Qiraj. I always liked his design which seem to took inspiration from the Forgotten One from WC3 with an eye on top of it. The Ahn'Qiraj gate event is also historical but C'thun himself doesn't play much of a role, but rather the Qiraji and their generals.

N'zoth was... well lets just say this: Remember how the Night King was written in the last season of Game of Thrones? Remember what Disney did to Snoke in The Last Jedi? That is all N'zoth.. so much potential to be an amazing villain but got completely screwed over at the end. Even when he was fully released unlike the previous Old God's he couldn't even attack more than 2 zones.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Thanks to the sheer amount of relatively subtle build-up i'd say Yogg-Saron takes the cake.
    Then second is C'thun, because it too had a build-up and surrounding events that just made it extremely epic.

I do not dislike N'zoth, but going "in yo FACE!" is not the kind of thing that fits an old god, even an unleashed one.
    Additionally it did not help that his hand was so veiled during most of the expansion that it just sort of felt like he came out of the blue.

Doesn't help that Sylvanas basically stole the show while we (maybe?) beat him into a pulpo pulp.

Ny'alotha felt way too cramped to be anything close to what was hyped to be too, so the presentation simply felt like it fell short relatively to the other two, who were exactly the way you'd think they were (C'thun being an old god still recovering from mortal injury in his sort of makeshift bastion, Yogg-Saron still being half-chained in the prison that he had mostly subverted)
    It's the catch-22 of the Old Gods. They need build-up so they don't come completely out of nowhere (C'thun) but focus on them a lot and they don't have much to say except the typical mwahaha you die mortals boss banter (N'zoth). Yogg was probably in the sweet spot where he got talked about a lot but didn't show up or speak at all, but when we did fight him he gave us a hell of a hammy show which still made him memorable.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Yogg obviously. C'thun was way too easy, had almost no mechanics and n'zoth was the complete opposite

5+ Year Old Account
    N'Zoth, if we're just talking about the fight and not the aftermath.
    Kupo.

Yogg, obviously.
    S.H.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yogg was the best fight by far, but C'thun has the edge on the overall atmosphere, that fight was insane back in the day.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Of the three Old Gods we can encounter in-game - C'thun, Yogg-Saron, and N'Zoth - which did you like best? Use whatever factors you feel like - raid encounter, general lore, use in story, etc.
    Yoogy first, without a doubt. Ulduar is a masterpiece as a whole, and the last boss is no exception. C'thun would come as a close second, purely because of the atmosphere. The Silithid/Old God(s) part is very well done in Classic, and imo it's a lot more immersive than anything in BfA, the supposed OG expansion. N'Zoth comes dead last, because he's just a bore to fight. It's sort of a leitmotiv across all of BfA though, i.e. final raid bosses being extremely annoying and bloated with mechanics, none of which are particularly fun to wade through.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Yogg.

C'thun gets a pass because he's the first one and basically served as inspiration for the other two.

N'zoth is the worst one because he badly tried to be a new Yogg and just sucked.
    Fucking up something new is one thing, taking inspiration from something good and then fucking it up is worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yogg, for sure. Awesome looking model, and a cool fight. Probably on my top ten of all raid bosses.

Cthun seems like a pretty cool fight, but I didn't see him for the first time until Burning Crusade. Maybe I'd feel more favourable if I had made it that deep into AQ40 in classic.

NZoth was whatever. I don't think the boss fight was particularly memorable.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |