Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    And genderlocked races.... so stupid.
    Well the Catguys are like the male part for the bunnygirls but release new races without the ability to put helmets on them is stupid af.

Quote Originally Posted by wiffl View Post
    Well the Catguys are like the male part for the bunnygirls but release new races without the ability to put helmets on them is stupid af.
    Well... there are lorewise male bunnies and female cats.

It is one of these weird asian MMO thingies i will never understand.

Hmm? SE was pretty upfront that it was resources choice. They felt they had enough space for 2 new PC models, but they wanted to do both Hrothgar and Viera. So their compromise was Hrothgar male and Viera female.

Perhaps it would have been better if they had done Viera male and female instead.

I'm gonna be brutally honest.

If you don't like story, this game isn't for you.

The game is slow and you must play it like you are playing a single player Final fantasy.
    The mmo part is only sprinkled throughout and at the end

There is a huge mountain to climb if you don't care about story. This is not played like WoW where you rush to the end. It's a slow and steady churn.

I cannot promise it will be the same with you, but for me... the game only clicked when i reached the Azim steppes and it kept getting better for me since. That is when my job started feeling better and by the end of ShB it's amazing.
    Tanks have the simplest rotations. If you are expecting something amazing or more involved in a tanking rotation, gunbreaker is my advice.

I cannot say much about end-game difficulty cause i didnt invest in it. I am playing casually. Don't have a premade raid team to tackle the harder content.

Reading the thread you seem to have found your answer.

Something else for those in doubt is that you don't need to rush something you are not enjoying. Some people like to vary what they are doing. Be it decorating a house, pvping, crafting, playing mini games on the gold saucer, gardening etc. There are lots of things to do in ffxiv and they all tend to have deep systems. Variety is the spice of life.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2020-11-18 at 12:30 AM.

I think to get the most out of this game you have to a deep appreciation for Final Fantasy and all of its lore as whole. And when i say deep i mean DEEP.

"Does the game ever get good"
    "Yes, keep playing"
    "I've reached the endgame where's the good part"
    "I guess it's not your game"

-_-

It's so people that want to play catgirls have the excuse of it being genderlocked and they can hide their fetish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Except it would only be "textbook" confirmation bias if I fully believed that a third spec was actually coming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inoculate View Post
    It's so people that want to play catgirls have the excuse of it being genderlocked and they can hide their fetish.
    The lion-people are male-only for players. Viera, the rabbits, are female-only. This was a decision made due to resource and time limits during development, due to the amount of time it takes to refit every piece of armor to the new character model (unlike in WoW, FFXIV has a lot of 3D armor and they don't just resize based on proportions). The team wanted both races so making the female viera and male hrothgar was the compromise. The miqo'te, which fit the more typical 'catgirl,' are available for both genders.

Worth noting that even just with one gender each for Hrothgar and Viera, it took many in the art team working on their own time as a passion-project to get eyewear helmets working on them due to the head models interfering with helmets in general.

On-topic: FFXIV's focus is on the MSQ, much like SWTOR. If you're not enjoying it, there's no point in forcing yourself to continue playing. There are other gear-based MMORPGs and other endgame-focused MMORPGs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    Perhaps it would have been better if they had done Viera male and female instead.
    That's the growing consensus, but at the time there was a lot of lobbying in the community for both viera and a Ronso analogue, so Yoshi and his team compromised.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I actually like the story, at first.
    Then it made no sense. The whole experience is quite a mess.

- The insulting back and forth quest line... Literally you accept quest inside room, run outside and click some NPC, go back to the room, run out side to click the same NPC go back to the room. like after 3 rounds in i asked myself, they got to stop doing this no way they demand me to do it more than 5 rounds... to my surprise, no! the game actually made me do it like more than 5 times, just to different NPC outside of the same room. Like holy shit, are the dev mocking me?

- What am I ? did i fight the mob myself, or with other warrior of light or with the scion of seven dawn substituted by other players? I really question that at first. But few trials in... LOL they just don't care. All the camera zooming around your duty finding party, its all for show you do it yourself. Like what kind of role playing is this?

- So I am soloing all these city destroying god like being all by myself. and I did it like 5-8 times already? Now I am in a city full of regular people trying to hunt me down. Guess what I do? I flee and it is supposed to be 'dramatic'...

The story is good, if you let a lot of things go. many of these things doesn't need to be if they are more thoughtful. Does the warrior of light really need to be that OP, does the warrior of light really need to solo all those duties?

At some point I WISH the solo duty were boring. like at the end of heavensward I got into one of the most insulting solo duty in which you face a group, they asked you to click a sword. there is no sword. 2 fail attempt later I googled. The sword is invisible. So I pixel hunt the this shit. When I found the invisible sword, the npc spawn and interrupted me. This is the story driven quest at the end of heavensward to hook me to buy the game during the end of free trail? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by gobio View Post
    - What am I ? did i fight the mob myself, or with other warrior of light or with the scion of seven dawn substituted by other players? I really question that at first. But few trials in... LOL they just don't care. All the camera zooming around your duty finding party, its all for show you do it yourself. Like what kind of role playing is this?

- So I am soloing all these city destroying god like being all by myself. and I did it like 5-8 times already? Now I am in a city full of regular people trying to hunt me down. Guess what I do? I flee and it is supposed to be 'dramatic'...
    Your character is the only WoL in your character's version of the story. Other players are just adventurer bros you bring with you (you actually get to do dungeons with the scions later). In primal fights, I assume the lore position is that you are protecting the rest of the group from being tempered with the echo (or some might also have the echo, the WoL isn't the only one with the echo this is also a plot point), which again you have to actually do later.

I don't think this is a super strong complaint really, FFXIV is much more concrete about the canon status of your character then wow is where alternatively in the lore: You straight-up never existed at an event; your deeds are replaced by a named npc; or; a generic npc (or group of generic npcs).
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Quote Originally Posted by gobio View Post
    I actually like the story, at first.

Canonically, the first 4 or 5 primals you do solo. Ifrit, Ramuh, Titan, Garuda. You are immune to the tempering and therefore are the only person that can fight them. The other people arent really there. This is also for Thordan (Knights of the Round from FF7) and a few others. Some other fights you are with adventureres, and a couple other in Shadowbringers, other WoL from other Shards (demensions) are summonsed to help you.

Mainly because you're not trying to be a mass murderer. You were framed and you're trying to get out so you can try and find out what really happened. Since the fuck face that orchestrated it got bifurcated.

The story is good, if you let a lot of things go. many of these things doesn't need to be if they are more thoughtful. Does the warrior of light really need to be that OP, does the warrior of light really need to solo all those duties?
    Like honestly just now, in patch 5.3 of shadowbringers, we figured out who and what we are...kind of. We still dont have a home. We just kind of appear one day. But we now know one of the reasons why we are so powerful.

At some point I WISH the solo duty were boring. like at the end of heavensward I got into one of the most insulting solo duty in which you face a group, they asked you to click a sword. there is no sword. 2 fail attempt later I googled. The sword is invisible. So I pixel hunt the this shit. When I found the invisible sword, the npc spawn and interrupted me. This is the story driven quest at the end of heavensward to hook me to buy the game during the end of free trail? Seriously?
    I do not remember this solo duty at all.

Honestly though, if the OP isn't having fun, just play something else. I personally love it. i have most jobs at 80, and doing trials and helping sprouts through new dungeons is fun. The story in Shadowbringers is easily the best FF story to date, and the villain is amazing.Puts just about every wow villain to shame. Hes simpathetic, witty, and makes a good point about why he's trying to kill trillions. There is a reason the writer got standing ovation at paxeast.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I've seen something similar happen with the more hardcore elements of the Trails fandom. The Trails series is made up nine, 50-100+ hour long JRPGs, with the gimmick being that they each take place in the same universe. The die-hard members of the fandom keep insisting to people that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and that in order to "properly enjoy" Trails. They insist that you must start with the oldest (and worst) game and slog through several hundreds of games that you might not enjoy, just to get to the game that originally piqued your interest in the first, to get to the game you wanted to play in the first place. In my experience, this has done more harm than good. People are put off by the immense "requirement" that they "have" to play hundreds of hours of a game that they have no idea whether or not they will like. When people give in and try the first game, they are put off by it, but the hardcores keep insisting "NO! PLEASE STICK WITH IT! IT GETS BETTER WE PROMISE YOU!". There is an element of truth to it, but it's not helpful advice at all. People are smart. People don't waste their time on something they aren't enjoying. People have a discerning eye and prefer to play games they think they will like. Just let the person play the game they think they might like and let them decide for themselves. If they stick with it, then great! Tell them about the other games. If they're not feeling it, then stop trying to pretend that it "oh my gosh no please stick with it!". Just let them go.

I think people get too emotionally invested in franchises. It's like a secular religion to them, with the lore being biblical canon to them and stuff like Disney decanonizing the EU creating a religious split like the Catholic Church and Protestantism. If you don't adhere to the fandom or criticize the thing the fandom is centered around, you're a filthy heathen. They're like those radicalized evangelicals who keep pestering people after they've said "no".

I have no problem recommending the things I like - FFXIV and Trails - to other people, but I prefer to be honest about what those games actually are. If people don't like it, no problem. Not the end of the world. It's just a game. Some people just say "no", okay? Can't get them all. Don't get hung up on it.
    It's almost this weird pseudo-tribalism thing, because I've noticed it in other franchises as well, most recently the Assassin's Creed franchise. Those who put the older games on a pedestal will angrily shove away anyone who doesn't agree with them that the new ones are crap, and divide the players as a result. It's all very strange, because I don't think these people ever take the time and step back, to look at their words and actions from another perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    It's almost this weird pseudo-tribalism thing, because I've noticed it in other franchises as well, most recently the Assassin's Creed franchise. Those who put the older games on a pedestal will angrily shove away anyone who doesn't agree with them that the new ones are crap, and divide the players as a result. It's all very strange, because I don't think these people ever take the time and step back, to look at their words and actions from another perspective.
    New AC fans brought it upon themselves because the most common thing I hear from them is "Finally, Assassin's Creed game that isn't boring garbage". Ubisoft went 180 on their franchise, essentially making games for people who despised the former formula and turning the series into bad version of Witcher 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    the end game is fun, but horribly short and the jobs are the most imbalanced in any mmo i have ever played. fun, but not even 1/3 as good as wows raid and balance. Jobs in FFXIV will do 40% less dps compared to their counterparts. Killed the game for me.
    Uh FF14 has some of the best balanced classes of any MMO. Maybe tiny outliers with brd but thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by rhrrngt View Post
    Uh FF14 has some of the best balanced classes of any MMO. Maybe tiny outliers with brd but thats it.
    not even remotely true, there have been points this expac with MULTIPLE (brd, mch, rdm, dnc vs blm sam nin) specs doing more then 20% less dps in the high end all they way up to 40% less in the first tier. ffxiv balancing is total shit and its one of the reasons they force comps. if they didnt do that, they would actually have to attempt to balance dps.

not even remotely true, there have been points this expac with MULTIPLE (brd, mch, rdm, dnc vs blm sam nin) specs doing more then 20% less dps in the high end all they way up to 40% less in the first tier. ffxiv balancing is total shit and its one of the reasons they force comps. if they didnt do that, they would actually have to attempt to balance dps.
    Bruh really? https://www.fflogs.com/zone/statisti...gregate=amount

Quote Originally Posted by Dudenoso View Post
    ive posted logs at different points in time for jobs proving my statements, feel free to review them

even your horrible link shows 23% gap lmfao

now for ACTUAL LOGS:
    e9s
    sam - 27110
    blm - 26723
    bard - 22167
    dancer - 21163

e10s
    blm - 27119
    sam - 27107
    bard - 21916
    dancer - 20451

e11s
    sam - 27876
    blm = 27647
    bard - 22341
    dancer - 21768

e12s
    sam - 24352
    blm - 24103
    bard - 19978
    dancer - 18811

go ahead, do the math lmfao, and this is for the final tier of the expansion, as mentioned, look back through time at my log posts, numbers get even worse then this throughout the expac.
    Last edited by The Oblivion; 2021-02-19 at 06:17 PM.

ive posted logs at different points in time for jobs proving my statements, feel free to review them

now for ACTUAL LOGS:
    e9s
    sam - 27110
    blm - 26723
    bard - 22167
    dancer - 21163

e10s
    blm - 27119
    sam - 27107
    bard - 21916
    dancer - 20451

e11s
    sam - 27876
    blm = 27647
    bard - 22341
    dancer - 21768

e12s
    sam - 24352
    blm - 24103
    bard - 19978
    dancer - 18811

go ahead, do the math lmfao
    Can you actually link the logs? I too can say

e9s
    sam - 1000000
    blm - 5
    bard - 4
    dnc - 3

Regarding my horrible link, can you explain how did you calculate the 23% gap? SURELY you compared jobs in the same percentile instead of comparing the highest log recorded with the minimum log recorded.

Because the highest DPS has a bunch of padding and the minimum DPS in there played like dogshit and was carried
    Last edited by Dudenoso; 2021-02-19 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudenoso View Post
    Can you actually link the logs? I too can say

e9s
    sam - 1000000
    blm - 5
    bard - 4
    dnc - 3

Regarding my horrible link, can you explain how did you calculate the 23% gap? SURELY you compared jobs in the same percentile instead of comparing the highest log recorded with the minimum log recorded.
    https://www.fflogs.com/zone/statisti...0&dpstype=pdps

filter by boss

and your own link, of shitty aggregate data, view the adps tab, look at sam, look at dancer, do maths.
    Last edited by The Oblivion; 2021-02-19 at 06:28 PM.

What math are you using where there's a 23% gap?

The difference between the max and min DPS in that log is ~8%