Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Wolcen
    You couldn't use a worse example tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by FilthyRich247 View Post
    Mafia I'm vaguely familiar with.

The other two I've never heard of. I genuinely believed the concept was original, I imagine a lot of other people do too.
    no, the concept is already decades old. It's just that this particular one got the spotlight from big youtube and twitch people. Just like how Harvest Moon-esque games existed for decades, but Stardew Valley wasa huge hit.
    Sometimes it even happens that a series exists for some time, but only one particular game gets big, like with The Witcher series and Witcher 3 being the only one people played, basically.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning- View Post
    You couldn't use a worse example tbh.
    Which top-down ARPG looks better than Wolcen?

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Is "don't play them" too much of an obvious solution or something?

It doesn't matter how good it looks, the game was garbage.

10+ Year Old Account
    most of "pixel" games are pretty meh in terms of quality, but it's the same level as the new unreal engine games, game makers seem to struggle to make games with soul nowadays

To play devils advocate, I think pixel games are fine, but I'd also be happy to see more high quality big budget AAA games. There aren't really enough that actually suit my preferences. (I really like stealth shooters.)

It's not really helped that most big games are first party. And I say that as a PS4 owner.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    To play devils advocate, I think pixel games are fine, but I'd also be happy to see more high quality big budget AAA games. There aren't really enough that actually suit my preferences. (I really like stealth shooters.)

It's not really helped that most big games are first party. And I say that as a PS4 owner.
    What is a stealth shooter exactly?I hope it's not something like Dishonored meets Call of Duty because that sounds absolutely awful.

I mean, the example is that Wolcen looks great while still being a garbage game that was unplayable at release. A game could look photo-realistic but still be bad for many reasons. Graphic fidelity doesn't save a bad game.

And here's an example of one I can't wait to get an NA release, Ark.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.nerfnow.com/comic/2831

A complete coincidence with this being his most recent post, but it's almost as if he made it for you.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2020-10-11 at 06:06 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    What is a stealth shooter exactly?I hope it's not something like Dishonored meets Call of Duty because that sounds absolutely awful.
    First things that come to my mind are Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Metal Gear Solid V. I think MGS5 probably matches that category a bit better than Deus Ex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    First things that come to my mind are Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Metal Gear Solid V. I think MGS5 probably matches that category a bit better than Deus Ex.
    Immersive Sim is the word you are looking for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    You never heard of Splinter Cell? That's a stealth shooter.

Play the old ones, the new ones kinda suck.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

I am with you, don't really care at all for that style, and just don't bother with any of those 'new' games.

Best case scenario is I'm going to polarize the community, worst-case scenario turn you all against me

Anyway, anyone else feeling really tired of the pixel and 1990-2010 visual type games?
    It seems to be "the shit" in the past 3-4 years. Indie game companies pushing those pixelated games and people swallowing them as if it's the year 1995.
    Don't get me wrong. I don't think they are bad games. But I'm tired of wanting to play something cool but it looks like shit.
    It's almost 2021, I don't want to play games that look like crap.
    There are options of course, but my favorite genres, MMORPG and top-down RPGs are the ones that are hit most.

This is why I support games like Wolcen and New World.
    Wolcen is.... lacking, to say the least, compared to other options. But you can't deny the game looks absolutely fantastic for an ARPG game.
    New World looks good, but is it a good game? Probably not, at least not at its release. But it looks miles better than other MMORPGs. Sorry WoW, you look good for a 15-year-old game, but those blurry stretched out textures should have died 5 years ago. It's time for a new game and I want World of Starcraft!

Pixel games are something we all accepted 20+ years ago. There are finished engines out there like Unreal Engine which is FREE. So why are we dealing with pixelated bullshit today? Lazy developers?
    nice blog post. also every game has pixels you idiot.

10+ Year Old Account
    As others have stated, If you don't like games that use pixel/sprite art, don't play them, at the end of the day it's just an aesthetic choice that you don't really like. A game isn't inherently better or worse from a game-play standpoint based upon the art style it uses. It isn't inherently lazier than using 3D graphics either, 3D graphics take a lot of work, but larger or hand-drawn sprites with extensive frames of animation can also be a massive undertaking to draw all the frames.

I agree. Sure, there are pixel games that look good, even amazing. Stardew valley, jet lance, HLD, cloudpunk, etc. But the vast majority are just an eyesore. Which is a shame, cause they usually have really cool gameplay. Well, those that are not yet another dime-a-dozen pixel platformer.

Best case scenario is I'm going to polarize the community, worst-case scenario turn you all against me

Anyway, anyone else feeling really tired of the pixel and 1990-2010 visual type games?
    It seems to be "the shit" in the past 3-4 years. Indie game companies pushing those pixelated games and people swallowing them as if it's the year 1995.
    Don't get me wrong. I don't think they are bad games. But I'm tired of wanting to play something cool but it looks like shit.
    It's almost 2021, I don't want to play games that look like crap.
    There are options of course, but my favorite genres, MMORPG and top-down RPGs are the ones that are hit most.

This is why I support games like Wolcen and New World.
    Wolcen is.... lacking, to say the least, compared to other options. But you can't deny the game looks absolutely fantastic for an ARPG game.
    New World looks good, but is it a good game? Probably not, at least not at its release. But it looks miles better than other MMORPGs. Sorry WoW, you look good for a 15-year-old game, but those blurry stretched out textures should have died 5 years ago. It's time for a new game and I want World of Starcraft!

Pixel games are something we all accepted 20+ years ago. There are finished engines out there like Unreal Engine which is FREE. So why are we dealing with pixelated bullshit today? Lazy developers?

Looks like you would not enjoy Ultima Online.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    I see. I'm not.
    Games I'm tired of, I tend to avoid.

If you are seeing an overwhelming amount of something though, it typically means its selling well.
    IE, others are not tired of it, at least not yet.
    Doesnt mean they are good games though. Look at all the mobile games for example
    Extremism and radicalisation is the bane of society

1990-2010 visual type games
    This has to be a troll right? That timespan covers both of these visuals below being considered current. Or is the the gen z thing where everything from before last year is basically WW2 era?