Thread: Dota 2 or LOL?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    Hots because nobody has time to just sit there afk and wait for gold for 30 minutes.
    I mean if you're just AFKing for gold that's why you're waiting for 30m.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    Hots because nobody has time to just sit there afk and wait for gold for 30 minutes.
    What kind of game lets you sit there and afk gold? Is that LoL? Farming in Dota is very fun and dangerous, and you need your team to open up the map for you. I love the excitement of farming

IDK how dota 2 plays, but if it's more like dota 1 than LoL is, it gets my vote.

I played dota, then into league, then quit MOBA altogether. League started out great. No meta had developed, and if you were good and picked up a lot of early game kills, you could easily snowball to 1v5 status.

Then they slowly morphed it into a game like HOTS where you HAD to rely on your team to win. You couldn't solo hard carry nearly as easily any more (mostly due to gold changes, streak changes, etc). It was annoying. I want my games of 30:1 KD soloing nexus back while the other team rages at the fuckup who fed me.

DOTA was always like that (granted, a lot more character specific on who could actually hard carry).

I also hate wards with a passion. They ruin the game and make it not nearly risky enough.

I've played both (league was casually though) and I prefer Dota 2. The bit about the first 1000 hours being the tutorial is true, though.

The only negative side to Dota 2 that I've felt is that coming back to it feels really hard. Your MMR doesn't decay so if you stop playing for some years then come back to it, welcome to a world of losing until your 4k becomes 1.5k. It's disheartening, really.
    Last edited by Tiev; 2020-10-06 at 05:16 PM.

The games are like a lil bit the same, but LoL is far better than Dota for me

But yeah if you don't like to wait 30 minutes per game (average), go for dota

I tried to play Dota 2 and LOL, and I can say, that Dota 2 is like a game for cybersport, but LOL is just for fun, idn

- - - Updated - - -

however, LOL has cybersport events too, that's why some people will express the opposite opinion

7+ Year Old Account
    HON - Heroes of Newerth <3 Im not sure its still online. Havent played for a years but that was so good.

I find Dota 2 too slow paced compared to LoL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dota 2 because I've been playing it since it was DotA: Allstars on WC3: Battle.net. Then when Dota 2 was announced I got into the beta. Been playing it ever since.

Dota 2 has an insane learning curve and is very unforgiving to beginners who know nothing about mechanics of the game, when put up against players who even have a smidgen of understanding. But in the past 5 years or so Dota 2 has made some decent strides in welcoming new players... it's just the community that's the issue.

Much like any game that has a high skill ceiling as well as being hyper-competitive (Dota 2's world tournament 'The International' literally has upwards to a $7 million dollar prize) you will experience very toxic people. But not all of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    I find Dota 2 too slow paced compared to LoL.

I know this is your experience and your opinion, but this is laughable.

Both games champion the aspect of game changing plays in small windows of time. At any second, a window of opportunity can present itself and in both games good players will utilize these windows with lightning quick speed. And these windows of opportunity happen frequently due to the nature of the game.

Your hero moved 2 steps out of position from a creep wave? You took literally 2 seconds too long to get to a team fight? You used your ultimate too early or too late? (in Dota 2) You allocation of items in the early to mid game was not optimal?

Many different examples but I guess what I'm trying to say is when something happens, it happens fast. And once that ball gets rolling it continues be had such a fast pace sometimes it's hard to keep up with change to that match's meta and that could effect how you play the rest of the match... maybe even ultimately costing you a win.
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2021-06-08 at 12:25 AM.

I prefer Dota 2, simply because of the business model & knowing people who play it/came from Dota 1. Having absolutely everything available from the get-go, an equal power level, & being able to resell cosmetics are both super cool from a casual player POV. It's also a much more enjoyable/lighthearted esport to watch in my experience, kind of similar to how WoL was back in the day. LoL's casting/scene seems to be a bit too rigid & corperate at times in comparison.

I have watched a few League tournaments as well, though. Two of our raiders won a $5k LAN last year in their home country which was very cool to see

So yeah, both are cool games capable of providing great moments as both as player & a spectator, but the last 9.5 years has me firmly in the Dota camp.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played LoL back in the days but moved to dota 2.
    Dota 2 is 100% free(can't empathize this enough, it's 100% free, all heroes always playable, all modes always playable), and while i'm not sure about LoL, but in Dota, every situation can be countered, always.
    It's toxic as hell, but I think it's the usual internet community thing nowadays in every game, you know the classic "stupid noob" etcetc, but you can mute people so it really doesn't matter. I think you can find a community to play with if you want to get more serious.
    Oh and yes, there are hats(cosmetics) lots of hats!

Edit: Oh and it also has the largest prizepools when it comes to tournaments, 2019 - 34 million(!11!!!111) (now we got covid so no tournaments)
    Last edited by Cuppy; 2021-06-08 at 12:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

HotS is fun with friends.

I don't think I could ever go back to LoL, but DotA 2 is a future possibility.

I prefer dota2. Really fun doing creep deny, which can get you ahead on your lane, very easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Renaa View Post
    I prefer dota2. Really fun doing creep deny, which can get you ahead on your lane, very easy.

This post reminds me of one of my favorite Dota 2 memes:

League is where it's at.

Dota 2 was never really too popular, nor good. Valve just pumped insane cash money into tournament prize pools to increase interest among people. Even with that, it was LoL that became pretty much the generational phenomenon at some point rather than Dota 2.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played dota 1 for 7 years, played LoL, never returned to dota
    As far i know dota 2 started at least exactly like dota1 just graphic update, LoL has far better system with scaling items and actual useful heroes around game
    of course now my opinion on both they are shit, with having 1502 hero in roster half of them out of balance and useless
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by Eninya View Post
    HotS is fun with friends.

I don't think I could ever go back to LoL, but DotA 2 is a future possibility.
    Hots is fun for sure. The problem is a lot of people pug, and the pug games are full of people that hate objectives lol

I've played LoL for many years and, lately, I've been playing DotA 2.

To me, LoL has a simplistic charm to it, but has changed a LOT during these last few years. I've stopped playing for some time, only jumping in with friends very rarely, and everytime it seems they have changed something. I don't even know how to navigate the shop anymore.

Dota 2 has more complexity to it which I really appreciate, in a way it feels more like a "fleshed out" game. So much to take into consideration and learn. If you are into learning and get as best as you can, Dota is really good.

I have to note that both can be very toxic. Dota, especially, is more focused on the individual that LoL. You can much more easily steam roll a game by yourself in Dota than in LoL, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Quothnor View Post
    everytime it seems they have changed something. I don't even know how to navigate the shop anymore.
    Haha yeah, I played a couple of ARAMs after not having touched LoL for about a year....shop is so confusing now and most items seem to have had effects changed as well.