Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Post your unpopular book/comic opinions?

I will say

BFG is the greatest book ever.

I liked Ben Reilly and was sad to see him die
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

MCU > Marvel comics
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

The greatest time for comics was the Jim Shooter era. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby put Marvel comics in the public consciousness. But Jim Shooter made the public remember why they were good...and made them subsequently better.

I love the art, but the writing of most of Jack Kirby's books was terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Comics aren't considered nerdy/outside of mainstream because of the subject matter. People love superheros. They love the art, they love the storylines. Its the gatekeeping and confusing number systems that turn people off.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Confusing numbers system? Like, the Dewey decimal system?

Frank Miller is overrated and most of his comics are terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Comics aren't considered nerdy/outside of mainstream because of the subject matter. People love superheros. They love the art, they love the storylines. Its the gatekeeping and confusing number systems that turn people off.
    While the gatekeeping and the numbers are both problems...I think most people that have decided comics are nerdy have different reasons for doing so.

10+ Year Old Account
    The world of Terry Pratchett's Discworld is far better developed and flushed out that Tolkien's Middle Earth in every aspect. (and I love Tolkien)
    Last edited by Orby; 2020-10-05 at 12:07 AM.

JK rowling should have made Ron die

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Frank Miller is overrated and most of his comics are terrible.
    Ouch. But yeah. His stuff hasn't been good in a long, long time. I will always <3 his original DD run, though.

Capeshit is for (Man)Children and Harry Potter was crap before JK Rowling she said the femenist stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
    It's a Horde symbol but the middle part can also be called the "Eye" of the zone (AZSHARA), it's a play on words
    No, it is happening. The zone changed, it belongs to the Goblins now and is their home. Hearthstone is having a mechanical themed expansion soon, November's cardback is Goblin influenced and revealed concept art shows Goblin machinery. It's a HS expansion, sorry.

Pretty sure the numbering system became a mess after the 90s, at least in Marvel. They wanted to undo every story done prior decades. Funny that since DC in earlier years had multiple universes, and "Crisis of Infinite Earths" was their way of consolidating it all to make storylines more coherent...since they were losing track of...everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone should read more.

Audiobooks are awesome and a fantastic way to increase your consumption of literature for people who are either unwilling or unable to actually sit down and read a book.

The majority of the best comics and graphic novels I have read had nothing to do with superheroes.

Superman has been done dirty by every single adaptation ever. I always thought he was the most boring hero ever until I actually read some Superman comics.

Comic books are for everyone! Anyone who would look down on someone for reading comics is just insecure.

Most fantasy novels are way to derivative of Tolkien's work. Outside of more modern fantasy, it is all just variations on the same basic characters, stories, and themes.

The Harry Potter books are not amazingly well written but they are easy and enjoyable reads and make great gateway books to get people (especially young people) into reading.

The A Song of Ice and Fire series are not really all that good and rely far to heavily on sex, violence, and shock value. Joe Abercrombie's First Law is a much better "grimdark" modern fantasy series.

The Gentleman Bastard series takes a massive nosedive in quality after the first book, even if I do like the two main character, Locke and Jean, a lot.

Everyone. Should. Read. More!

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Confusing numbers system? Like, the Dewey decimal system?
    Presumably how a series can run issues 1-25, then due to some major comics "event" the series restarts at issue 1 although the story itself hasn't reset, and then runs 1-15, then a new creative team takes over and even though the story itself is still continuing from the same point it was at issue 15 is now issue 1 for the third time. So for a person who hasn't been following the book, seeing 3 issue 1's kinda makes it confusing about where to start, then add in you also have 3x issues 2, 3, 4, etc for a casual/new fan, yeah, that can be confusing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both DC and Marvel comics are boring and weird. Never understood why those are such hit in US.

batman is the stupidest super hero ever.

Marvel and DC should have sued Image/Rob Liefeld into the fucking ground, to where he wouldnt even be allowed in comic book shops.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

Field Marshal Phyrexia-KulTiras's Avatar
    3+ Year Old Account
    Everyone. Should. Read. More!
    Reading is overrated. Why read for hours and hours, while a movie tells you the same story in 2/3 hours.

Such a waste of time..