Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I like some anime. But i hate all mangas with a passion because i think they are a immature moneysink. Also i have never seen a anime or manga where i would say has a really good story. 99% is riddled with Deus Ex Machinas, weird plot twist out of nothing for no reason, the stroy is most of the time incredibly flat and i am quite sure they have only gotten popular in the west because of boobs. At least for western comics the fans don't pretend the story is more than it is.

Joker and Batman are ridiculously overused.

I think movies/books/comics with only white people are boring as hell ( i am white, call me whatever you want for that opinion )

I don't think there are too many LGBT/POC characters in movies/books/comics etc. as i don't really see any in most media. Espaccialy LGBT. There are next to none in Books and comics.

To kill a mockingbird is a horrible book. As are Catcher in the rhy and the first Wheel of time books ( the later ones are amazing though )

Last but not least: I think the witches in the Terry Pratchett unvierse are the best character from him and Rincewind is annoying after the first book.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Batman is not some amazing super hero. He's just an edgelord rich kid who is a bigger Mary Sue than Superman. They need to stop with making every DC movie and tv show grimdark angsty edgey Batman-esque. It barely works for Batman. It sure as fuck doesn't work for Superman.
    As someone who is a HUGE Batman fan, has enjoyed every Batman movie, and even thought Ben Affleck had great potential in the role I have to say you are spot on.

If this new Batman movie even hints at his origin story again I'm going to lose my damn mind.

As for my unpopular comic opinion: Everything Image has produced since the mid 2000s that aren't their tentpole titles (Spawn/Savage Dragon) has been their best work and surpasses everything McFarlane/Leifeld/Lee did in the 90s by leaps and bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    You do run into problems with multiple series staring the same character or group of characters running at the same like as well. For example, how many Bat-family comics are there right now. You got Batman, Detective Comics, Batgirl, Nightwing, Red Hood, Birds of Prey, and Batman Beyond. Plus stuff like Harley Quinn and Catwoman. Not to mention if any of them are also involved with any of the Supergroup books. Then you have crossover events and limited run series. I could see it getting a little overwhelming for newbies.
    Hmm. I see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Comics aren't considered nerdy/outside of mainstream because of the subject matter. People love superheros. They love the art, they love the storylines. Its the gatekeeping and confusing number systems that turn people off.
    I can only speak for myself, but for me, what ruins superhero comics is constantly reinventing the wheel with parallel universes. I think Spider-man is the biggest culprit for this, but some comics in my country do that too.

I just cannot get invested in a story if it's just one of 10 other iteration of the same guy going through different "what if"s in other comics. It just gets inconsequential and boring, sometimes it turns into utter nonsense.

So yeah, I guess my unpopular opinion is that superhero comics suck, because it seems like the creator feel the need to constantly spin the same story with different twists. It's also kind of irritating how my other nerdy friends are on board with it, but to each their own I guess.

Manga/Anime is a medium, not a genre. No different than comic books, animated TV series, or CGI-movies. There is manga for all age groups and covering just about any genre you can think of I am sure. If you are just looking at what tends to be the most popular that usually falling into the "shounen" genre which is aimed at young males of school age up through teenagers/young adults then yeah, it is mostly going to be similar stories of teenagers usually fighting evil with some form of powers or abilities, but that is just a small portion of the manga/anime out there. There's also everything from romance to horror to mystery to gag comedy to just easy-going feel good stories.
    And I prefer the western style of art and storytelling.

Reading is only fun as a kid when your standards are lower. There is no reason to engage in non-interactive storytelling as an adult. Roleplaying and videogames are the superior medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    Reading is only fun as a kid when your standards are lower. There is no reason to engage in non-interactive storytelling as an adult. Roleplaying and videogames are the superior medium.
    The imagination is a far superior medium.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    I can only speak for myself, but for me, what ruins superhero comics is constantly reinventing the wheel with parallel universes. I think Spider-man is the biggest culprit for this, but some comics in my country do that too.

I just cannot get invested in a story if it's just one of 10 other iteration of the same guy going through different "what if"s in other comics. It just gets inconsequential and boring, sometimes it turns into utter nonsense.

So yeah, I guess my unpopular opinion is that superhero comics suck, because it seems like the creator feel the need to constantly spin the same story with different twists. It's also kind of irritating how my other nerdy friends are on board with it, but to each their own I guess.
    I feel the same.
    If none of the stories matter, since it just gets rebooted anyway, why even bother reading it? None of it is gonna carry over anyway.

And I am not saying AU's are bad, I enjoy it from time to time, it's just that superheroes are so saturated with it. There is never a proper conclusion because it just goes back to start. It just feels like the artists wants their own slice of the fame and can only do it by using an already established franchise.

EDIT:
    It got me thinking. I don't mind AU's when it is used in franchises like the Donald Duck comics(which was and still is huge in my country), because most of it is slice of life and most writers/artist stick to the established origin stories and lore created by writers such as Carl Barks and Don Rosa. The stories rarely deviate too much from these standards which makes them better than the superhero lore soup and umpteenth origin story.
    Last edited by Pakheth; 2020-10-06 at 10:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    I feel the same.
    If none of the stories matter, since it just gets rebooted anyway, why even bother reading it? None of it is gonna carry over anyway.

And I am not saying AU's are bad, I enjoy it from time to time, it's just that superheroes are so saturated with it. There is never a proper conclusion because it just goes back to start. It just feels like the artists wants their own slice of the fame and can only do it by using an already established franchise.

EDIT:
    It got me thinking. I don't mind AU's when it is used in franchises like the Donald Duck comics(which was and still is huge in my country), because most of it is slice of life and most writers/artist stick to the established origin stories and lore created by writers such as Carl Barks and Don Rosa. The stories rarely deviate too much from these standards which makes them better than the superhero lore soup and umpteenth origin story.
    Yes, exactly. I feel like I am losing time when I read the 100th installment of a comic because on the 110th they are going to reboot the series with a different premise. Batman's parents are now alive. Batman is now Bruce's dad. Joker is his mom. Batman is now Japanese. Batman is now a Ninja Turtle. Hulk is green. Hulk is red. Hulk is gray. Banner himself is Hulk. Hulk is a gladiator on another planet. Seriously.

To be fair, I have no idea how they could reinvent the wheel without resorting to these massive overhauls, but this is the worst way to go about doing it, in my opinion. It's like listening to an old man that starts a tale, then goes "no, wait, I got that wrong" and restarting every 10 minutes. You don't even know if there is a main series of events anymore and you just know that 10 minutes from now the narrative will change again. Ugh.

Donald Duck/Mickey Mouse "what ifs" are more palatable to me, because they are usually self-contained stories among other more classic stories, or they are their own thing while the usual story goes on in other comics. Donald Duck discovering he is good at a specific job is a good "what if", because it takes place in one story and it usually ends up in disaster, which ties to the overall Donald canon.

Plotlines like Wizards of Mickey and Duck Avenger are somewhat fine because they are very few and do not try to become the new canon.

Comics work better when the focus is an entertaining story instead of trying to send a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    These usually have volume numbering. "Vol 2. Issue 17, October 2020" seems pretty straightforward to me.
    In some books, Vol 2 is NOT, in fact, a new volume and picks up EXACTLY where Vol 1 ended, and Vol 2, Issue 1 is a direct story followup to Vol 1, issue 15. Sometimes even the creative team doesn't change, and Vol 1 issue 1-15, Vol 2 issue 1-15, and Vol 3 1-15 are all one ongoing 45 issue story with events in Vol 3 issue 10 directly relating to something that happened back in Vol 2 issue 5, and if you have not read all the previous volumes, much of the story will be lost on you. A new reader, understandably, will be confused, since "issue 1" implies the start of a series and seeing 3 issue 1's implies 3 different beginnings, not that Vol 2 issue 1 is actually Vol 1 issue 16 in all but name.

Yet for other books, Vol 1 issue 15 ends the run, and Vol 2 issue 1 is a complete reboot, restart, or whatever of the character, and may not be tied into Vol 1 in any way, aside from featuring the same main character. You may read Vol 1 issues 1-15, then you pick up Vol 2, issue 1, expecting a continuation of the story and it's like everything in Vol 1 did not happen, no references to it, different supporting cast, maybe even a different tone of writing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    It does not need to cover everything that is the point, I don't care about most of the little details that take hours to explain while reading a book.
    So you're like a child with no attention span, who wants everything dumbed down? Sad, but common.

You do run into problems with multiple series staring the same character or group of characters running at the same like as well. For example, how many Bat-family comics are there right now. You got Batman, Detective Comics, Batgirl, Nightwing, Red Hood, Birds of Prey, and Batman Beyond. Plus stuff like Harley Quinn and Catwoman. Not to mention if any of them are also involved with any of the Supergroup books. Then you have crossover events and limited run series. I could see it getting a little overwhelming for newbies.

Manga/Anime is a medium, not a genre. No different than comic books, animated TV series, or CGI-movies. There is manga for all age groups and covering just about any genre you can think of I am sure. If you are just looking at what tends to be the most popular that usually falling into the "shounen" genre which is aimed at young males of school age up through teenagers/young adults then yeah, it is mostly going to be similar stories of teenagers usually fighting evil with some form of powers or abilities, but that is just a small portion of the manga/anime out there. There's also everything from romance to horror to mystery to gag comedy to just easy-going feel good stories.
    I can agree with you about all that shit with the massive multitudes of comics with the same characters, just titled somewhat differently. When I started Marvel Unlimited, I want to start near a certain time or series so I can get into it. So I sort by date. Helpful, but not too much.

Like why can't characters just be Spider-Man #532. Why does it have to have thousands of fucking alternative titles? Super Spider-Man, Amazing Spider-Man (which there could be like 3 different runs of that title alone), Spectacular Spider-Man, etc. If you're making a new Spider-Man comic, just fucking number it after the last one!
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Star wars was intended for kids long before Disney purchased the rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    Hulk is green. Hulk is red. Hulk is gray. Banner himself is Hulk. Hulk is a gladiator on another planet. Seriously.
    Well , none of those are alternate universes. They all take place in E616 ( or to be precise Prime Earth since the Secret Wars). Red Hulk is another character ( not Hulk not Bruce Banner) and Planet Hulk takes place in E616. All that happened in the main reality.

To be fair, I have no idea how they could reinvent the wheel without resorting to these massive overhauls, but this is the worst way to go about doing it, in my opinion. It's like listening to an old man that starts a tale, then goes "no, wait, I got that wrong" and restarting every 10 minutes. You don't even know if there is a main series of events anymore and you just know that 10 minutes from now the narrative will change again. Ugh.
    Yeah , you mean the reboots. Well,there's actually a main series of events but I concede that this idea of starting the story in Uncanny X-men number 465 and ending it in X-Force 23 ( while travelling through Wolverine 315) makes it really dificult to follow. I agree with that.

The idea that the course of time should not affect the characters is precisely what caused the creative and financial black hole that 90's was for comics simply because there's a limited number of times you can picture the same Spiderman with the same traits fighting the same Green Goblin ( and that number seems to be 30 years lol) and beyond that is pure suffocation of the genre. Sometimes you are gonna invent a new Spiderman ( through at alternate universe or other mechanism) and it's gonna be rejected ( Spiderman 2099) and sometimes you are gonna hit the jackpot ( Miles Morales)

I am not opposed to reboots. I am opposed to:

1. The mentioned crossed storytelling over multiple collections.

2. The pervasive idea that a reboot must imply the "inherit the mantle" gimmick. I don't really wanna see RiRi in Iron Man(Heart) costume...I want to see Tony Stark.I don't really wanna see Sam Wilson as Cpt. America....I wanna see Steve Rogers. I don't want to see Amadeus Cho as Hulk...I want to see Bruce Banner. Those characters are way more than an armor ,a shield or an irascible temperament. Making the "Hey !! This is the New <Insert_Character> !! Hope you enjoy!!" while putting the real character in hybernation is a horrible vice these days.

Anyway there's always a main series of events ( difficult to follow but it exists) that constitutes the Prime Earth canon. Even when Axel Alonso was editor in chief and the reboots went crazy like never in history (most of the past decade) there was still a main canonical story and for the future we will have to wait and see what Cebulski likes.

I really enjoyed Marvel Civil War.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garybear View Post
    Star wars was intended for kids long before Disney purchased the rights.
    I mean, George Lucas as far back as the 1970s made decisions for Star Wars based on what toys he might sell.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    In some books, Vol 2 is NOT, in fact, a new volume and picks up EXACTLY where Vol 1 ended, and Vol 2, Issue 1 is a direct story followup to Vol 1, issue 15. Sometimes even the creative team doesn't change, and Vol 1 issue 1-15, Vol 2 issue 1-15, and Vol 3 1-15 are all one ongoing 45 issue story with events in Vol 3 issue 10 directly relating to something that happened back in Vol 2 issue 5, and if you have not read all the previous volumes, much of the story will be lost on you. A new reader, understandably, will be confused, since "issue 1" implies the start of a series and seeing 3 issue 1's implies 3 different beginnings, not that Vol 2 issue 1 is actually Vol 1 issue 16 in all but name.

Yet for other books, Vol 1 issue 15 ends the run, and Vol 2 issue 1 is a complete reboot, restart, or whatever of the character, and may not be tied into Vol 1 in any way, aside from featuring the same main character. You may read Vol 1 issues 1-15, then you pick up Vol 2, issue 1, expecting a continuation of the story and it's like everything in Vol 1 did not happen, no references to it, different supporting cast, maybe even a different tone of writing.

- - - Updated - - -

So you're like a child with no attention span, who wants everything dumbed down? Sad, but common.
    Pretty much it I have way better things to do with my Time than sit and read, I work with my hands and build Hot Rods for a living and have 2-3 personal builds going on at any given time so that takes up pretty much most of my time and when I am at home I am playing with my kids or hanging out with my Wife, no real time to sit and read.

Drizzt Do'urden is a boring Mary Sue in a fantastic world, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy is difficult to immerse into due to way too many characters to follow. One of the only books I had given up on reading halfway in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

The Sandman ultra mega audiobook from audible was the worst thing I ever tried to listen to, the first time I researched if I could get my credit back. Turns out... You can!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    The Sandman ultra mega audiobook from audible was the worst thing I ever tried to listen to, the first time I researched if I could get my credit back. Turns out... You can!
    Why exactly? I am a big fan of Gaiman but for whatever reason I never got around to Sandman. Is it a bad adaptation or is it problems with the quality of the production?