Poll: Where do you think the art direction of WoW should go?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    they shall push for more of it, meaning they shall get back to the previous artstyle (current one doesn't really feel like wow, skies weren't "painted" before except in throne of the 4 winds, too often wow now looks like the average new asian f2p)

fortunately, not all is bad, it's exactly like if they hired some newly inexperienced artists, working along with veterans there since forever

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Visuals are never disappointing in WoW, except for rare instances such as Nazjatar, which was fairly mediocre. What I'd really like to see is more types of robes for casters, the 2004 design we have today is just... Eh.
    i agree, something at least half the quality of someone like khadgar with layering to the robes textures. They basically proved they could give us better quality with the fat human heritage armor and yet we've seen little else as far as effort to fix the sheet cloth armor we still get every tier

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ymirsson View Post
    Do we play the same game?
    there's been a fairly noticeable change of artstyle near wod, which includes the music too. like if some old talented artists left during that.

Art Team was getting worse and worse(not counting SL). The artworks that always appear whenever you go inside some content(such as battle-ground, vision, nyalotha etc.) were blurry without any sharpness. I mean it wasn't that detailed as before. Seemed kinda lazy some times.

Not gonna talk about the raid and dungeon sets in BFA that were... blunt and totally bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    there's been a fairly noticeable change of artstyle near wod, which includes the music too. like if some old talented artists left during that.
    Yes, I also noticed that.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2020-10-06 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    But it was never not cartoonish, especially compared to many other games.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

10+ Year Old Account
    But it was never not cartoonish, especially compared to many other games.
    yes but there can be different artstyle of cartoonish (wow/wildstar for instance, wildstar being closer to ratchet and clank, wow being closer to banjo kazooie in terms of rendering, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by fatgunn View Post
    I feel like they have been steadily pushing it, but it's gotta be done organically. Slow incremental steps allow it to kinda creep up on us. Just look at something like the original qiraji mounts compared to the one you get to raise in 8.3. The new one is bleeding and tentacly. Yogg was more horrifying than cthun and Nzoth is at least as strange if not more when you consider the carapace as well.

As for the cutesy stuff, we do get some but its pushed more to pets and one off things.
    I actually found c'thun creepier than yogg but I think that was the voice more than the visual.

WoW looked like a comic from the start.
    *sigh*

Take my statement as you want. If you want to nitpick fine.
    There is a diffrence between comic and a comic with *sploink* *Bang* *kaboom* stuff

The artstyle and what they do with is is what i am getting at. Look at Gnomes and the undead.

But i think you know what i mean...

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    *sigh*

Take my statement as you want. If you want to nitpick fine.
    There is a diffrence between comic and a comic with *sploink* *Bang* *kaboom* stuff

The artstyle and what they do with is is what i am getting at. Look at Gnomes and the undead.

But i think you know what i mean...
    I'm serious. Yes, WoW does not have whimsical sound effect pop ups, but it still is comical, since the RTS titles.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

I think they are going too far in the cartoony and chunky direction lately. I'm not a fan of Ardenweald's aesthetic at all. It's more Disney than Blizzard.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BALLS BALLS BALLS BALLS View Post
    I think they are going too far in the cartoony and chunky direction lately. I'm not a fan of Ardenweald's aesthetic at all. It's more Disney than Blizzard.
    This seems like a pretty hilarious claim given people have been literally comparing WoW's aesthetic to Disney since open beta of Vanilla, if not earlier. It's always looked like it had a strong Disney influence.

Ardenweald doesn't look any more Disney than, say, Karazahn, from way back in TBC, to me. I think it's just more obvious to you because it looks like a "good guy" place in a Disney thing. Really it's all just that sort of broad "American animation" aesthetic which has been influencing itself more and more over the last few decades (whilst also drawing in Japanese influences a lot).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    I liked the classic and wotlk aesthetic.

No cutsie/comic stuff.
    KEKW, you had whole frikkin' zone focused around a war between 2 joke races in WoTLK and let me not even start with silliness of Vanilla.

I know that edgelords gonna edge, but you have this stuff ingrained in WoW forever and ever. It's as much part of WoW as Lich King and the Burning Legion.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-10-06 at 04:41 PM.

It's perfect the way it is right now

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    KEKW, you had whole frikkin' zone focused around a war between 2 joke races in WoTLK and let me not even start with silliness of Vanilla.

I know that edgelords gonna edge, but you have this stuff ingrained in WoW forever and ever. It's as much part of WoW as Lich King and the Burning Legion.
    Yeah a lot of people like to pretend there weren't Wolverine-dudes vs Walrus-men and so on in the past. If anything, WoW right now is rather less silly than peak silliness, which was Cataclysm (unquestionably imho), and certainly no more silly than Vanilla-WotLK (which was pretty bloody silly).

Less cartoony and comic, more dark and gritty (while maintaining its vibes)

The correct question isn't how far the art team should push aesthetics. The correct question is how far will the game engine let them push things without major major work involved.

7+ Year Old Account

Arrow

There were some threads... so here some links:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkizon View Post
    Also, customization's conversation and order of priorities, when you want to do job properly. About plot&appearance coherence here. Animations'(effects) discussions.
    + A little separate stuff about human females faces. Also about Fur and Feathering art + some stuff about environment.
    Also, from one of last discussions with funny china-guy (there is youtube link about aesthetics here):
    ps. Not very sure about correctness of my understanding terminology proposed by OP, but mark me as "Significantly less extreme".
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2020-10-07 at 08:56 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__