Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
LastLast
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    you can't make a movie about a character of a big universe without having the unvierse set
    Dude, I fucking understand that it's all connected, but you don't need to dwell on the connections to tell a story. The fastest way to turn the general audience off from watching your movie is to say "you can't understand or enjoy it unless you watch/read all this other shit first". You keep bringing up Star Wars as an example of worldbuilding, while ignoring the fact that the entire first trilogy (the best one) barely covered the history of the Empire and the Rebellion, the Sith, the Jedi, Palpatine's background, Vader's background, or the universe as a whole. There isn't a lot of exposition at all because the primary story is that of Luke Skywalker, and it really doesn't matter to him how the war was started. He eventually learns a little more about the Jedi and about Vader, but it's the bare minimum needed to continue his character's progression. The original trilogy worked perfectly fine without all the details added by the books and movies that came after.

    If you show your protagonist to be relatable and a good person then you don't need to go into the history of his home to understand why he wants to protect it. You don't need to cover the Legion to show that a demon orchestrating an undead invasion is a bad guy. You don't need to show that it's part of some bigger plan for the audience to understand why the protagonist wants to stop it.

    The Human campaign for WC3 can be understood and followed without playing ANY of the other parts of the game. You don't need to know why the orcs are there to understand that the humans see them as a threat. You don't need to understand the forces behind the plague to understand why it's a threat. You don't need to know Arthas' full backstory to understand why he fights. You keep deriding it as "just some guy angry about zombies" as if that's a bad thing. It's not. The fact that you can boil the story down so succinctly is a GOOD thing when you want to make a movie. What makes it Warcraft is that it follows a Warcraft character through their story as it's presented in the lore.

    You're right that one of the reasons why the first movie bombed was due to general audiences feeling confused, but that wasn't because they hadn't watched a dozen movies before hand that explained all the orc clans and their history on Draenor as well as the intricacies of the human kingdoms and the full history of Azeroth and the existence of the Legion, etc etc. The reason it was confusing is because it was so unfocused. It wasn't that fact that we didn't know the characters' history, it was the fact that there were so many damn characters to begin with.

  2. #82
    Stealthed Defender unbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Posts
    6,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    And again, why should the rest of the world pander to the communists?

    Do Arthas story and fuck China if they don't like it.
    I always get a chuckle out of people who don't understand that Hollywood is a business.

    They want to attract China because they are very nearly as big of a box office as the US. Especially for garbage CGI stuff like Warcraft, that is where they will be making most of their money.

  3. #83
    Titan Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    11,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Dude, I fucking understand that it's all connected, but you don't need to dwell on the connections to tell a story.
    but you need to tell something to tell a story

    Arthas story IS NOT an standalone story to be thow in a movie to carry warcraft franchise on his back, is a spin-off movie
    The fastest way to turn the general audience off from watching your movie is to say "you can't understand or enjoy it unless you watch/read all this other shit first".
    the fattest way to turn the audience off is throw a story that make shit sense where you don't understand nothing because you have no idea of what warcraft is about.


    You keep bringing up Star Wars as an example of worldbuilding, while ignoring the fact that the entire first trilogy (the best one) barely covered the history of the Empire and the Rebellion, the Sith, the Jedi, Palpatine's background, Vader's background, or the universe as a whole.
    What else you have to explain? thing is easy and simple, empire bad, rebels good, we fight then with weird magic end.

    Making arthas movie first is like making Anakin story first, and not even that because Arthas is not the main antagonist of warcraft, warcraft is more than a human prince who burn a city



    The Human campaign for WC3 can be understood and followed without playing ANY of the other parts of the game. You don't need to know why the orcs are there to understand that the humans see them as a threat. You don't need to understand the forces behind the plague to understand why it's a threat. You don't need to know Arthas' full backstory to understand why he fights. You keep deriding it as "just some guy angry about zombies" as if that's a bad thing. It's not. The fact that you can boil the story down so succinctly is a GOOD thing when you want to make a movie. What makes it Warcraft is that it follows a Warcraft character through their story as it's presented in the lore.
    you actually understand everything, yes, do you realise human campaign is not even the first thing you see in the game??? you start with the demons coming to azeroth and a human and a orc fighting, a Thrall vision, then you have Medivh telling thrall to go to Kalindor, they explain why there is fight between horde and alliance and why humans(ARTHAS) hate orcs and want then death.

    So yes, the Arthas path in the campaign is already seted by the prologue, and everything else is also explained and showed in a lv you don't rly can in a movie only about him.

    Warcraft is about horde and alliance, not about one character doing his thing alone, we follow the story of 3 games, Arthas is a spin-off that should get a movie yes, but not the first one

    You're right that one of the reasons why the first movie bombed was due to general audiences feeling confused, but that wasn't because they hadn't watched a dozen movies before hand that explained all the orc clans and their history on Draenor as well as the intricacies of the human kingdoms and the full history of Azeroth and the existence of the Legion, etc etc. The reason it was confusing is because it was so unfocused. It wasn't that fact that we didn't know the characters' history, it was the fact that there were so many damn characters to begin with.
    And Arthas movie would be as much confusing, since it would not explain anything the audience should know about a WARCRAFT movie.

    you want a Warcraft movie, do first war, second war, later we can make spin-offs about independent characters. Arthas story is not enough to build franchise of the warcraft universe because he is a product of others events and others characters

    Like i said earlier, we don't need a reboot, second movie could be about thrall and the exodus, Thrall as warchief and savior of the orcish race have enough tools to worldbuild a franchise because he as a character, clash directly with both principal elements of warcraft(horde and alliance)

    You already know an orc baby was left in the river, you can literally make a LOTR monologue explaining how the horde lost and how the people who went after then in the portal were lost there, like Sauron losing and Isuldur not destroying the ring, cut to the guy founding thrall and making him a gladiator, like they cut to Bilbo. And we are done.

    Third movie? hell we already know people went to draenor, they can show the Lich king creation and give us hints of how the plague is going across the continents, THEN it would make sense a movie about Arthas, we already know the alliance and the horde, we already know the world and path is already se to the Arthas Story.

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    but you need to tell something to tell a story

    Arthas story IS NOT an standalone story to be thow in a movie to carry warcraft franchise on his back, is a spin-off movie
    You need to start with a small part of the picture and then connect it to the bigger tapestry. If you present the huge overarching plot the audience will be confused and not understand.

    If they wanted to do WC3 movies they should do an Arthas movie, a Thrall movie, an Illidan movie and a Sylvanas movie. That's how Marvel did it, focusing on individual characters.

    Though I think their best shot at commercial success would be with some kind of drama about the lives of player characters in present WOW. Down and Out In Stormwind and Orgrimmar, basically. I don't mean showing it as a video game, but like in-character.
    Last edited by kansor; 2020-10-09 at 04:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    She lost against Arthas for purpose. She wanted to feed Quel'thalas to hungering darkness.

  5. #85
    Titan Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    11,515
    Quote Originally Posted by kansor View Post
    You need to start with a small part of the picture and then connect it to the bigger tapestry. If you present the huge overarching plot the audience will be confused and not understand.
    thats exactly what im talking about, you can't throw Arthas storyline from WC3 out of the gate and do a respectful warcraft movie, Arthas is not warcraft, he is one of his important characters, after we set up the universe we can do a shit ton of other movies with other characters, we can go back in time or tell small stories

    Warcraft movie try to do that, but they tried to squish a lot of shit in one hour movie, and some of then were pointless and irrelevant like Lothar and Garona romance

    warcraft should have the Lord of the rings treatment, not a crap 1 hour movie.

  6. #86
    Henry Cavill as Arthas now, please and thank you.

  7. #87
    whoo...! waiting for it.

  8. #88
    Spam Assassin! MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    30,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    And again, why should the rest of the world pander to the communists?

    Do Arthas story and fuck China if they don't like it.
    It's likely that most of the upfront money to get the movie made will come from China or Asian investors. That's where the first movie was most popular and made the most money.

    As such, there's not enough interest in the U.S. to finance a sequel. There's more interest elsewhere, especially in Asia. And that will likely have a sizable influence on what story is told. If it's told at all. This can just as easily be returned to development hell and sit unmade for 15 years.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2020-10-09 at 07:36 AM.
    “We live in a moment where everything immediately seems to default to outrage. There’s a kind of M.O. of either it’s exactly how I see it, or you’re my enemy.”

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Arthas story IS NOT an standalone story to be thow in a movie to carry warcraft franchise on his back, is a spin-off movie

    the fattest way to turn the audience off is throw a story that make shit sense where you don't understand nothing because you have no idea of what warcraft is about.
    Your whole "it's not a Warcraft movie unless you cram in every piece of relevant lore detail" mentality is dumb. LotR didn't need the Hobbit or the Silmarillion to be made first. It had a few minutes of an introductory prologue to explain the Ring, but even the book didn't bother with that because it's mostly just a macguffin to move Frodo's quest along. And as I already explained, the Star Wars movies work very well without having to explain all the lore surrounding the Force, the Empire, the rebels, etc. You got an opening text crawl to set the scene, and then the movies stand on their own from there.

    Your assumption that it's not a Warcraft story if it doesn't revolve around the Alliance and Horde is wrong. WC3, the game that helped propel the future of the franchise, made it very clear that this rivalry is a sideshow at best, and there are many other stories to tell that don't revolve around the first two games.

    Your belief that an audience will be confused by a holy knight wanting to defend his home from zombies makes zero sense. Seriously, how is "Arthas good/zombies bad" confusing to the audience? It's as fucking simple as you can get! Human (easy to relate to, I'm a human too) paladin (knight in shining armor, I know about those, they're usually good guys) fights against zombies and demons (easily identifiable monsters that I've heard about before) and goes on a quest to find a powerful artifact that will help him (seriously, one of the most common story tropes around). HOW IS THIS CONFUSING?

    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    thats exactly what im talking about, you can't throw Arthas storyline from WC3 out of the gate and do a respectful warcraft movie, Arthas is not warcraft warcraft should have the Lord of the rings treatment, not a crap 1 hour movie.
    And Iron Man is not the Avengers, yet it seemed to work just fine when they decided to begin their cinematic universe with him. They started with small pieces, all movies capable of standing on their own with only post credit scenes to begin the web that ties them all together. They didn't even explain anything about infinity stones in the 5th and 6th movies (when one first appeared), and Thanos wasn't even named in his post-credit scene in Avengers. Did the Avengers' Battle of New York make no sense because we didn't know that Thanos and the Space Stone were pivotal elements? Of course not.

    Warcraft doesn't get the LotR treatment. Throw that out of your goddamn head. You get one movie, one 2 hour story to tell that can't rely on past or future movies to make sense. Think about it on those terms because no movie studio is going to gamble $450 million on Warcraft.

    No one is saying that Arthas is Warcraft. Put that idea out of your mind as well. The whole point is to make a single, easily accessible standalone movie that a franchise can be built on. As kansor noted, Arthas, Illidan, and Thrall are probably the most well known lore characters from the height of the franchise's popularity. If I was going to pick one, I'd choose Arthas because then you don't have to explain anything about how orcs or elves fit into the world. It's simple. Easy to relate to for the audience.

  10. #90
    Titan Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    11,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Your whole "it's not a Warcraft movie unless you cram in every piece of relevant lore detail" mentality is dumb.
    dumb is how you attempt a strawman in what i said, i never said you have o cram every piece of relevant lore. i said you need to have something as base to build a story, if youc an't see that that is entirelly on you.

    you don't do a darth vader story neither a han solo story without the first trilogy, you don't do a spin-off movie about Sauron without the lord of the rings and etc.

    Your assumption that it's not a Warcraft story if it doesn't revolve around the Alliance and Horde is wrong. WC3, the game that helped propel the future of the franchise, made it very clear that this rivalry is a sideshow at best, and there are many other stories to tell that don't revolve around the first two games.

    the entire warcraft plotline is how the horde and the alliance had to deal with their own shit and join the night elves to save the world, everything in Wc3 except the night elves b its is alliance and horde intertwined lore, without then you don't have WC3, without then the legion would conquer the world.

    the entire point of the scourge is how the warchief of draenor horde became the lich king and he is spreading the plague to consume the alliance and destrou de easter kingdoms to make it easier for the legion to invade.

    Your belief that an audience will be confused by a holy knight wanting to defend his home from zombies makes zero sense. Seriously, how is "Arthas good/zombies bad" confusing to the audience?
    ah, you want basically those shit adaptations that they just get some idea of the book, and don't even red the book, like percy jackson shit movies, you should have said earlier
    It's as fucking simple as you can get! Human (easy to relate to, I'm a human too) paladin (knight in shining armor, I know about those, they're usually good guys) fights against zombies and demons (easily identifiable monsters that I've heard about before) and goes on a quest to find a powerful artifact that will help him (seriously, one of the most common story tropes around). HOW IS THIS CONFUSING?
    if you make in another universe, standalone, with no relation to warcraft? sure

    but sadly, we are making a warcraft movie.

    And Iron Man is not the Avengers, yet it seemed to work just fine when they decided to begin their cinematic universe with him. They started with small pieces, all movies capable of standing on their own with only post credit scenes to begin the web that ties them all together.
    And you literally can't do that with Arthas
    Warcraft doesn't get the LotR treatment. Throw that out of your goddamn head. You get one movie, one 2 hour story to tell that can't rely on past or future movies to make sense. Think about it on those terms because no movie studio is going to gamble $450 million on Warcraft.
    2 hour movie is better than 1 hour movie, they can get the treatment if they have enough balls to do it.
    No one is saying that Arthas is Warcraft. Put that idea out of your mind as well. The whole point is to make a single, easily accessible standalone movie that a franchise can be built on. As kansor noted, Arthas, Illidan, and Thrall are probably the most well known lore characters from the height of the franchise's popularity.
    And you can't build a franchise with 2 out of those 3, is like wanting to build the marvel cinematic universe with Thanos

  11. #91
    If there was a 'sequel' to the last movie it would be completing the Warcraft 1 story. Do people not realize that that story was never even completed? I hated that film and only watched it once, yet even I could see that, lol.

    By the way, that movie was awful and I really hope they don't make a sequel to it. It was literally one of the worst films I've ever seen, and even my bias as a long term Warcraft player (Been here since Warcraft II BNE) didn't help me see it in a better light. It was absolutely terrible.

    I don't even care that it completely ignored Warcraft's lore and story to make it's own garbage up instead, the special effects look like they were made by an intern, the actors were horribly chosen (and I like Travis Fimmel, etc, but he was one of the absolute worst choices for the role), the plot was absolutely meaningless and cheesy in all of the worst possible ways. I won't even get started on all of the incredibly bad one liners that had me groaning throughout the movie. The entire fight scene with Medivh too... I could list almost anything about this movie and I'd struggle to find a single good thing about it.

    I mean when people talk about this movie, it's always people getting excited because they mentioned Goldshire or saw a murloc, or 'omg Dalaran', give me a break lol. That said, that was probably the highlight of the movie since there was probably more plot building with that murloc than the rest of the movie combined.

    In short, I really really hope they are smart enough to not attempt to make another Warcraft movie. They clearly have no clue what they are doing. If they are, it should at least be a reboot because there is nothing about the first movie that's even remotely salvageable.

    That said, if they were foolish enough to make another attempt and chose to reboot it, they shouldn't focus on Warcraft I--which didn't have much of a story to speak of (I assume that's why they felt the need to completely change it to make it more 'exciting')--they should just go with Warcraft III instead. Everyone loves that game and its characters, and they won't need to make up tons of random shit to please movie-goers.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2020-10-09 at 11:22 PM.

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    I mean when people talk about this movie, it's always people getting excited because they mentioned Goldshire or saw a murloc, or 'omg Dalaran', give me a break lol. That said, that was probably the highlight of the movie since there was probably more plot building with that murloc than the rest of the movie combined..
    That would be called fanservice and I loved every minute of it. I wish we got to see more cute litttle shout outs. That murloc was awesome.

    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    If there was a 'sequel' to the last movie it would be completing the Warcraft 1 story. Do people not realize that that story was never even completed? I hated that film and only watched it once, yet even I could see that, lol.
    I think most WoW fans knew this, yes. Even ones not that interested in the lore. Now people that have never played the game..not entirely sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    By the way, that movie was awful and I really hope they don't make a sequel to it. It was literally one of the worst films I've ever seen, and even my bias as a long term Warcraft player (Been here since Warcraft II BNE) didn't help me see it in a better light. It was absolutely terrible.
    I disagree. I guess you haven't seen any real bad movies. Ones that include super low budget. (Not all low budget movies are bad either) No where near the amazing CGI we got with the Orcs and the magnificent gryphon. Puffs right up.



    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    I don't even care that it completely ignored Warcraft's lore and story to make it's own garbage up instead, the special effects look like they were made by an intern, the actors were horribly chosen (and I like Travis Fimmel, etc, but he was one of the absolute worst choices for the role), the plot was absolutely meaningless and cheesy in all of the worst possible ways. I won't even get started on all of the incredibly bad one liners that had me groaning throughout the movie. The entire fight scene with Medivh too... I could list almost anything about this movie and I'd struggle to find a single good thing about it.
    The men wanted Ragnar from Vikings and I was ok with this. It's just I will forever only see him replaying that role in this movie. Not Anduin Lothar. Still it doesn't matter. Ben Foster was not a bad little Medivh. The movie didn't really stay true to the source material. That was one of the downfalls of this movie. Some of the other downfalls to this movie is it was too fast paced and disjointed. They just had little to no time to cram this all into a small amount of time and it really showed.

    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    In short, I really really hope they are smart enough to not attempt to make another Warcraft movie. They clearly have no clue what they are doing. If they are, it should at least be a reboot because there is nothing about the first movie that's even remotely salvageable..
    I will always be supportive of another attempt at another Warcraft movie. I think you are being a tad presumptuous with saying they had no idea what they were doing. Duncan Jones did Moon and Source code. Chris Metzen was on set sometimes. I swear he was because I seen video clips of it when I was awaiting the movie with much excitement. (probably wouldn't have been the only blizzard employee)


    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    That said, if they were foolish enough to make another attempt and chose to reboot it, they shouldn't focus on Warcraft I--which didn't have much of a story to speak of (I assume that's why they felt the need to completely change it to make it more 'exciting')--they should just go with Warcraft III instead. Everyone loves that game and its characters, and they won't need to make up tons of random shit to please movie-goers.
    Skip right to Arthas. Yes have heard this numerous times. I wouldn't care either way.
    Last edited by Icelin; 2020-10-09 at 11:50 PM.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by Icelin View Post
    That would be called fanservice and I loved every minute of it. I wish we got to see more cute litttle shout outs. That murloc was awesome.
    That wasn't an issue with the movie TBH, I more meant that things like that were not enough to make the movie not feel horrible to me. It wasn't enough to redeem it. I meant that for a lot of people, they acted like the movie was totally amazing and this was literally the only thing they could bring up. Because it's literally the only good thing about it in any way.

    Personally, I felt like the fan service was really light if anything, and very forced when they did it. The references were vague "omg they mentioned Goldshire" or over the top, such as with Dalaran floating. It didn't make up for the fact that the things I actually liked about the story (Warcraft I, not WoW) were dramatically changed or worse, ignored. They could have done a better job of working in fan service, at any rate, so I don't feel like even that was good.

    Quote Originally Posted by Icelin View Post
    I think most WoW fans knew this, yes. Even ones not that interested in the lore. Now people that have never played the game..not entirely sure.
    Given the quote of this thread I am just sayin'. We didn't even make it halfway through Warcraft I, lol. It's not time for Warcraft II yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Icelin View Post
    I disagree. I guess you haven't seen any real bad movies. Ones that include super low budget. (Not all low budget movies are bad either) No where near the amazing CGI we got with the Orcs and the magnificent gryphon. Puffs right up.

    I apologize because you have me on that. I didn't clarify. The CGI for the orcs was excellent and the gryphon was great. I meant more that entire scene with the lightning in that canyon, it felt like something out of a straight to DVD B film, if not worse. It's jarring for that kind of thing to be in a movie where they put that much effort into the orc CGI.

    Quote Originally Posted by Icelin View Post
    The men wanted Ragnar from Vikings and I was ok with this. It's just I will forever only see him replaying that role in this movie. Not Anduin Lothar. Still it doesn't matter. Ben Foster was not a bad little Medivh. The movie didn't really stay true to the source material. That was one of the downfalls of this movie. Some of the other downfalls to this movie is it was too fast paced and disjointed. They just had little to no time to cram this all into a small amount of time and it really showed.
    He felt like an awful knight but made an amazing Ragnar. It's not that I can't see him playing any role, to be honest I excited when I heard he was playing Lothar, but he just wasn't the right guy for the job at all. Ben Foster was okay as Medivh, btw. Not great, but okay. So I'll give you that.

    I didn't even mention staying close to the source material because I didn't want this to be about me complaining that the movie wasn't Warcraft I. I could have liked it okay if it wasn't, but it did feel especially bad that Warcraft I had a pretty good story built into it that was ignore and replaced with this nonsense about orc honor that literally did not exist in this era at all. They wanted to try and make the orcs sympathetic since there are so many Horde players and this was a terrible idea. It's why they shouldn't have remade Warcraft I into a movie in the first place--there was no way it was ever going to work pretending the orcs were 'good' in any way.

    I didn't even go into the story itself into too many details, but literally everything with Garona was trash, for instance. They took a lot of the things I loved about the original story/game and ruined them for reasons I can't fathom. It's not so much an issue that they changed things, but that they did it horribly, lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by Icelin View Post
    I will always be supportive of another attempt at another Warcraft movie. I think you are being a tad presumptuous with saying they had no idea what they were doing. Duncan Jones did Moon and Source code. Chris Metzen was on set sometimes. I swear he was because I seen video clips of it when I was awaiting the movie with much excitement. (probably wouldn't have been the only blizzard employee)
    I might be overstating, but it literally felt like they did not. It feels like they started changing things and just ended up with a massive mess of a plotline and had no idea what they could possibly do to fix it, so they just went with it. TBH they never should have gone with Warcraft I anyways--no connection to WoW, very light on story details, and an entirely unsympathetic Horde/orcs.


    Quote Originally Posted by Icelin View Post
    Skip right to Arthas. Yes have heard this numerous times. I wouldn't care either way.
    I don't even care if it's Arthas in particular, but that would be their best bet at this point. And this is an era where the Horde actually isn't entirely evil so it wouldn't be ridiculous to play them out as such... since they are no longer bloodraged savages.

    Actually, I have a lot of interest in Thrall's original story, too. Not the one we see in Cataclysm that turns him into a Mary Sue-style character, but the original one where he saved the Horde from itself.

    All of this said, I haven't changed how I feel about another movie. I'm not convinced they can do a good job. But I respect your opinion. Thanks for responding respectfully, it is none the less interesting to see your opinion on the film, especially since you can at least admit there were major faults in it.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2020-10-10 at 12:11 AM. Reason: elaborated on the fan service comment

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    They should just scrap the live action garbage they're going to produce and just make a cinematic movie. Fans would enjoy it more.
    I doubt they could make a full CGI movie, these things cost a stupid amount of money/minute. Cinematics are fine to show a pivotal moment, not that fine for a two-hour+ movie.

    An animated movie/series, however? Sign me up naow. WoW's artstyle and larger than life characters already lends itself better to this sort of medium anyway. It worked for Castlevania, it could work for Warcraft.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I doubt they could make a full CGI movie, these things cost a stupid amount of money/minute. Cinematics are fine to show a pivotal moment, not that fine for a two-hour+ movie.

    An animated movie/series, however? Sign me up naow. WoW's artstyle and larger than life characters already lends itself better to this sort of medium anyway. It worked for Castlevania, it could work for Warcraft.
    Could you imagine a full CGI movie though, lets just say 83 minutes(which is the average length of a movie), even if it costs them millions they'll easily make it all back. the Warcraft movie made so much money in Asian markets, if they made an actual CGI I guarantee the Western market will compete and make huge profits from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

    Zyky is better than you.

  16. #96
    Scarab Lord Skorpionss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    4,001
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    Hopefully they reboot it with the proper existing storyline and better acting.

    - - - Updated - - -



    The problem here is that Henry Cavil is a world-class actor and I doubt they have world-class actor writers or money to offer him
    He'd probably be willing take a pay cut seeing how huge a fan of Warcrat he is...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    For YOU!

    For the audience who isn't familiar with the Warcraft universe, dropping the Arthas story on them would do nothing but confuse them.
    That's why Blizzard chose to go with the Azeroth invasion for the first movie in order to teach the audience how everything began.

    The movie shouldn't target just Warcraft fans, who are obviously aware what everything is about, it's supposed to be a story that even the uninitiated can get into.
    I started playing the games with War 3, and it was fine, nothing confusing about it becasue it's pretty self-contained.

  17. #97
    I don't think another movie is the way to go with Warcraft.

    A netflix/amazon prime/hbo max series would adapt far better than a movie.

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Should probably go with arthas story it's the only good wow lore imo.
    from the start , they should have done arthas story and after this you do prequel/sequel to complete it all

    people who never play the game or know the story would be more appealing from the arthas story being a death/dark knight with undead army and all, this kind of story appeal more to the mass that a single story about some orcs and slow story line

  19. #99
    Scarab Lord Skorpionss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    4,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Seems people like to ignore that

    the public know jackshit about Arthas and Lordaeron, people would give two shits about despite being so meaningful to us, it will not be to then because they don't have enough time to sympathize, on top of that, the story would be just humans and zombies, if they squeeze the Arthas becoming the DK when the WC3 story is not even about him entirely, warcraft is not that.

    "there is some sort of plague in this place..."
    "this random prince will fight it..."
    "there is some orcs and trolls along the way..."
    "there is the lich king also..."


    Those things take way more time to explain than a simple LOTR monologue
    They literally don't. The LOTR monologue to explain War1 and 2 isn't necessary either. Just start exactly like the human campaign starts in War3, and adapt the story almost 1:1. There is no prior knowledge required, it doesn't matter who Ner'zhul is and how he's tied to the lich king, it doesn't matter how the orcs got to azeroth, it doesn't matter who Medivh is; Burning legion could be explained as the franchise progresses through movies, it doesn't need to be previously known.

    If it were me in charge I'd do a trilogy for all the campaigns starting with the humans, following Arthas until the battle with Mal'ganis.
    Then comes the Undead Campaign right after, where they could go a bit into the story of the Burning Legion too and how it tied to the undead.
    Then the orc campaign following Thrall and Grom; go even more in-depth into legion lore and how they manipulated the orcs.
    Finally the elf campaign following the trio of characters (maybe do 1 movie for each point of view?) a bit more info dump on the legion and some mentions of the war of the ancients, teasing a prequel series.

    Boom you have 12 movies and a potential other 3 for the War of the Ancients series; then you can move over to the Frozen throne for another 12 movies.

    Just respect the story and don't change too much (don't remove stuff, add some filler to it to fill in between the game's cinematics and cutscenes, the games aren't that heavy on story anyway, not even 5 hours of cinematics/cutscenes so there's no excuse that you have to cut shit for a trilogy per campaign)
    Last edited by Skorpionss; 2020-10-10 at 01:52 AM.

  20. #100
    Immortal Schattenlied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    7,396
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    They already tried to do an Alliance vs Horde movie in the First War and it was a complete disaster.
    Because they didn't follow the lore... Telling a story about Arthas and not following the lore would flop just as hard. It's not what time period they chose, it's that they didn't stick to the established story basically at all.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •