Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    It's VERY diff from classic. No doubt.

Stop putting barricades between me and ce raiding and high rated pvp and I will stop trying to jump over those barricades as fast as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Some self-control is involved. I'm not criticizing others but my game experience improved by a lot once I stopped worrying about having the best of everything and started doing only the stuff I wanted to do. Somehow, someway, I seem to be able to see what I want to see.

The big change I've noticed over the years here is that it used to be when you signed up for the most difficult raiding in the game, or to be in the top ranks of PVP, you knew what you were signing up for and didn't bitch about it.

I have my problems with the game like everyone else but repetitive content or thinking I need to play 24/7 aren't an issue. It does worry me that too many people substitute a varied life for living in the game. But again that's a choice. My problem is that if you make that choice I don't need or want to hear your complaints about what you have to do to maintain the game style you chose.
    Wow. Just wow. I feel like I've been saying this for years. Felt like I was talking into the void.

That's how its been for years now. I too miss the days where it was an actual RPG. Where leveling up actually felt empowering and not just a way to unlock more abilities. Back then leveling up actually affected your stats like all traditional RPGs do. Where people weren't always in such a hurry in dungeons grabbing as many mobs as they can at once, trying to skip mobs using tricky pathways that a lot of times just ends up wasting more time. I also miss the strategy aspect in dungeons where you had to decide who to CC and where to pull the group of mobs and which one to prioritize DPS on. There's none of that now. It's just become a Diablo dungeon crawler where you just flail your swords and axes around like a mad man targeting whoever you want.

Yeah, modern WoW is just all about doing things as fast as possible so they can sit in trade chat and be bored and complain that there is nothing to do. It always seems like people have somewhere better to be these days. In which I would say why are you playing a game like this if your time is that important to you?
    Last edited by Grubenwolf; 2020-10-09 at 04:34 PM.
    I'd buy that for a dollar.

They tried that in WoD. Everyone hated WoD because "there's no content." This wasn't true, it just wasn't mandatory and had an endpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Right, I forgot if you CHOOSE not to play, you're somehow still consuming content despite choosing not to consume content.
    What weird rant are you going on? No one mentioned not playing the game. The fact still remains that you as a player can play at your own pace. You miss no content as long as you do it with in that expansion's life. Games can't cater to people that don't want to consume any content but still want design catered around their play style. But old content is only invalidated in the form of gear upgrades. That doesn't mean you have to stop doing it. That doesn't mean if your guild hasn't progressed yet you have to stop progressing.

It looks like though by your weird rant about a different topic you are just looking to rant rather then discuss.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    What weird rant are you going on? No one mentioned not playing the game. The fact still remains that you as a player can play at your own pace. You miss no content as long as you do it with in that expansion's life. Games can't cater to people that don't want to consume any content but still want design catered around their play style. But old content is only invalidated in the form of gear upgrades. That doesn't mean you have to stop doing it. That doesn't mean if your guild hasn't progressed yet you have to stop progressing.

It looks like though by your weird rant about a different topic you are just looking to rant rather then discuss.
    The point is that you're skipping directly about the problem without addressing it.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    But you don't miss out anything as long as you do it during the same expansion.
    I could have quoted just this and it'd get my point across.

Yes, you don't miss out on anything if you... play. Constantly. And therefore don't ever not play and miss something. Wow, a fucking revelation there, right? Your statement is beyond obvious.

Nobody is saying it's a problem if you play constantly.

It's a problem if you don't. Why are you talking about if you do play constantly? This topic has nothing to do with people who consume literally all of the content all the time. That's what's being pointed out as the issue, that if you don't do this, you miss out on most of the content of an expansion. Because it gets removed at the end.
    Last edited by Fleugen; 2020-10-09 at 06:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I'm sorry sir, but we do not serve complimentary cheese when you bring your own whine.

Well, of course. The problem is that it doesn't take long to actually finish any new content and anyone more than a halfwit understands this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubenwolf View Post
    It always seems like people have somewhere better to be these days.
    That's why the first couple of weeks in Classic were worth briefly coming back to WoW for. Most players hadn't hit the slowdown levels and relapsed into the checklist mentality. People were spending evenings fooling around in world PVP instead of leveling. Just bouncing off each other, feeding social energy and spontaneity that MMOs were made for. It was glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    It's a problem if you don't. Why are you talking about if you do play constantly? This topic has nothing to do with people who consume literally all of the content all the time. That's what's being pointed out as the issue, that if you don't do this, you miss out on most of the content of an expansion. Because it gets removed at the end.
    But it isn't. Of course you will miss stuff if you don't play the game. Blizzard can't design around that or the game would never progress. I have never said if you play constantly. Playing within the two year cycle of an expansion does not equal constantly playing. Nothing I said was about people that consume all content all the time. You keep arguing a point that was never made in order to rant about something that is impossible to design for.

You don't miss out on any content. Very few things are permanently removed. You can go back and do old content if you want to. You can go back and do old raids. You are choosing not to. Most of the content of an expansion does not get removed at the end of the expansion. If you aren't even going to stick to facts then why are you even discussing this?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

As many people have mentioned, yes there were chores and efficient ways to complete them back in the very beginning of WoW. This is nothing new. What has changed is that the game is now designed as a hodgepodge of streamlined interactable systems which have all been made as convenient as possible and had all the rough edges milled down so that you can move between them as seamlessly as possible. The effect of this is to make just about everything you do in the game feel like a gigantic waste of time, like waiting for a bus to arrive at a bus stop. It really lays bare the annoying, chorelike, treadmill nature of MMOs instead of disguising them under a layer of artifice.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnycutie View Post
    That's essentially the problem with current WoW.

It has gone from exploration and immersion in a huge fantasy RPG world to "I have this list of tasks, how can I get them done as fast and as efficiently as possible".

If WoW ever wants to be great again, it needs to move away from tasks and chores, away from daily and weekly things to do and rerunning the same content over and over again, and towards creating more unique content that is supposed to be done once for the mere fun of it.
    It's been this way almost as long as I've been playing it. It's almost as if there's a loud, vocal subset of players who believe that playing the game is actually painful, and minimizing exposure to it leads to the best experience.

These folks are how Blizzard successfully sell a path to avoid 95% of the game's content.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    They should have axed the date as soon as Covid hit, but like with most companies they feel like they can work their way out of a hole.
    Uhh Blizzard didn't announce the date until 5 months after COVID-19 hit. You can't axe something that didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    It's been this way almost as long as I've been playing it. It's almost as if there's a loud, vocal subset of players who believe that playing the game is actually painful, and minimizing exposure to it leads to the best experience.

These folks are how Blizzard successfully sell a path to avoid 95% of the game's content.
    I've come to realize after 13 years that those players are often called "Raiders". Some of the most vocal complainers I've ever seen, just after pvp players.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    "exploration and immersion"

That part is dead the moment you are finished with leveling. And completly obliterated the moment you can fly.

Exploration was only really there in classic. No one knew what to do and took months to get to max level.

Immersion is highly!! depended on who you are asking. I was never immersed in wow. Because you have zero influence on the world. YOu have a predestined path and it has always been that way.

Eso and Swtor had more immersion ebcuas ethe whole campaign was just for you and no one else.
    Immersion and MMO mechanic are contradictory most of the time.

Also you can the stuff just once and be done with it... who forces you to do anything more than that?
    I like having stuff to do in an MMo i pay 14 €a month. It would not be worth the money if i would be done with everything by logging in once a week for 2 hours.
    And most of this is fun for many people. I like dailys. I like raiding and dungeons (highly repetetive, even more than dailies)

TLDR: This is highly subjective and what you describe hasn't been wow since BC
    hm not really - it was there in every expansion. just on different level then in classic

for a lot of people WoW was their first mmorpg ever - and first time they got in touch with virtual worlds.

but like everything in time it looses its appeal

wow is old game. playerbase got old

still when new expansion comes people have those few days to "Explore"

most people dont rush to endgame like madmen - they dont rush leveling their mains.

its only hardcore raiders who do that.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    hm not really - it was there in every expansion. just on different level then in classic

for a lot of people WoW was their first mmorpg ever - and first time they got in touch with virtual worlds.

but like everything in time it looses its appeal

wow is old game. playerbase got old

still when new expansion comes people have those few days to "Explore"

most people dont rush to endgame like madmen - they dont rush leveling their mains.

its only hardcore raiders who do that.
    First: It is not only hardcore raiders who do that. Finding someone who actually reads every quest text is like finding a unicorn. If they would voice it it would be so much better... still wondering why they don't. Even small MMOs can do it.
    Second: I agree. The exploration at the beginning of every expansion is good for a few days. Also the reason why i am one of those hated people aparantly who is so stupid to take a few days off every few years at launch.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    "exploration and immersion"

That part is dead the moment you are finished with leveling. And completly obliterated the moment you can fly.
    i argue that flying does not obliterate this. im enjoying the world alot more when freely flying then on the ground perfectly manouvering between mobs because im done with the quest and dont want to stay a second longer then i have to

Quote Originally Posted by Yorimar View Post
    i argue that flying does not obliterate this. im enjoying the world alot more when freely flying then on the ground perfectly manouvering between mobs because im done with the quest and dont want to stay a second longer then i have to
    While afoot i miss pieces of the world sometimes and come to them later again.
    With flying i see everything in 2 minutes.

I don't want to get rid of it, mind you. I got way to used to it and if i want to explore worlds i play different games... with bigger worlds. Say... Skyrim. I can walk there for hours and find new stuff everytime. With flying Skyrim would be a lot less interesting^^

The Patient
    I wonder how many folks download that RP addon that animates the quest text? Probably not as many as check the Azeroth Auto Pilot option box "accept and turn in quests automatically". I tend to wander a bit and do read quest text on the first toon or two....but not by the time I am doing number 26 to max level. If I had a "Main" then I might take things a bit slower, but I am certainly guilty of speeding through my content of choice since I have no main character. It's just a freight train of toons gearing to a chosen level. Maybe SL won't have as many speed shortcuts (flying, etc..) , don't know.

Stay safe and have fun!

I just want to run M+ and raids with guildies/RL friends, with an occasional BG or Arena match in between. I don't want to grind Artifact/Azerite/Anima Memepower, nor grind cloak/essences/pathfinder or any of the BS Blizzard has been shoving down our throats since WoD. BC/WotLK were almost perfect in that regard, they just lacked M+.
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    The Jailer's first ever appearance involved chucking him [Baine] off a cliff for being too shit to even qualify as a Maw trash mob.