Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'll be honest, none of this sounds very virus-y. Firefox is notorious for that issue, and it's one of the reasons I don't recommend it. Every few updates it just has a thing where it locks up.

The sleep mode thing is also super common. It's usually a driver, but sometimes a bios thing.

The last one... Hard to say, but it only happened once.. could have been a fluke. I'd need more info... like... what was the file? What page was it on when you looked?

Either way, while I'm not saying any of that stuff ISN'T some kind of infection... From my experience they all sound like.. more common things.
    The webpage was literally just the Disney+ website I've been on several other times on the computer. The exact page I started off on when I went to bed was https://www.disneyplus.com/video/c71...6-ba2d20d2ebe4 and when I woke up and saw the save/open file prompt it was on https://www.disneyplus.com/series/ph...b/1Vl0AKTYhC6U which is just the generic details page for Phineas & Ferb that shows up after you've been idle for too long.

Windows defender + ad blocker if you know what you are doing. If you want someting else, I always recommend Avira. Using it for 20+ years. Never ever had problems.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    What's a really good free antivirus program I could download and install? I get a free McAfee through my internet provider but I don't' think its working well because my computer is set to sleep mode after 45 minutes but it never turns off by itself in the past 3 days and this morning I saw a random thing prompt if I wanted to save a file.
    You can try Dr.Web CureIt. You can download it on official site, clean up your computer and than delete the program.

It's not convenient to download it every time you want to clean up your comp., but it seems to work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    you remind me of my friends back in highschool, university, mostly girls. who "supposedly" does nothing but still manages to get all kind of virus, adware,malware etc on their computer and ask for help, whereas I would spend hours on naughty webpages, hacks, cheats, roms, torrents,trojans all day every day and not get a single virus.
    Many years back when LAN parties were still a thing I always wondered if my anti-virus actually did anything because it never found a virus. Then one day on a LAN we were just preparing everything some guy showed up, plugged his PC into the switch and a second later my and half a dozen other guys PCs went apeshit with AV software blaring "intruder intruder intruder". Fucking funny, the guy was unplugged and sent home to get his windows cd. He wanted to play so he was forced to format everything and install new.

Quote Originally Posted by durenas View Post
    windows defender
    /thread, nothing more need be posted here.

Best anti virus is common sense because even best of best anti virus will be few days late from latest updated threat .

So use your brains / don't click /visit on suspicious websites / download suspicious attachments on emails etc..

Been 10+ year virus free with just this , I use windows defender + Monthly Scan of Malwarebytes ( Only for work rig )
    Gaming rig no Malwarebytes , Don't want any background CPU usage when playing .
    Last edited by jacktheking; 2020-10-09 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    /thread, nothing more need be posted here.
    Not really, anti malware bytes still has its place. Of course first and best is browser extensions and windows updates etc, but malware bytes is good...just gotten a bit spammy lately / pushy to buy premium.

Also this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9clWAlxZloI
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Common sense 2020.

If you are running Windows 10, the included Defender is all you need. Just back it up with another on demand scanner like the free Malwarebytes and run that from time to time and you should never have a problem.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    well, this is horrible advice in general..

but adblocker+script blocker + windows defender will do well for the average person. If you suspect something is still wrong do a free trail of malware bytes run a scan and see.
    Ive never run ATV on my machines, any of them. Even my torrent box doesn't run anything other than its VPN. I can honestly say I haven't had a virus issues since possibly early 2000's when I learned to just use my brain when downloading things.

For an adblocker I recommend AdGuard. They have a version for all the major browsers and they also have a full desktop version. I use it with Edge Chromium and it works great.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

Comodo Internet Security.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Dreamer View Post
    Common sense 2020.
    Make sure to get the Free Edition. Common Sense Free Antivirus Edition 2020.

But I use Bitdefender which has been working for me quite well.
    Last edited by monkfailz; 2020-10-12 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Not really, anti malware bytes still has its place. Of course first and best is browser extensions and windows updates etc, but malware bytes is good...just gotten a bit spammy lately / pushy to buy premium.

Also this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9clWAlxZloI
    I mean I'll admit it's kind of okay. It's the only one I'd even consider. But Window's Defender is more than good enough. It does an excellent job and it's free. You don't need third party protection, and most third parties screw up your computer worse than they help it these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    What's a really good free antivirus program I could download and install? I get a free McAfee through my internet provider but I don't' think its working well because my computer is set to sleep mode after 45 minutes but it never turns off by itself in the past 3 days and this morning I saw a random thing prompt if I wanted to save a file.
    To be honest, if you use adblock + noscript you are pretty save from everything browser related. Just don`t download random files.
    Otherwise Invest 25$ for a good antivirus like eset nod32 or bitdefender.
    Bitdefender also has a free version.