The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Do similair-race Allied Races get the same extra options as the regular races?

I don't have the PTR, so I'm asking here:

Do features such as the tail-length for Draenei also apply to the Lightforged, or the Nose-rings on the Orcs, or jewelry in general?

No. And this is a complaint of mine.

With the exception of void elves (who have some standard blood elf skin tones added), basically the only thing that has been added for the new allied races are customizable eye colors (separate from heads, and honestly even then not all races apply) and the bald head hair option has been added for every race/gender.

So if you want to know if you can have customizable tail lengths as a lightforged draenei, the answer is no.

Supposedly they will add more customization to allied races later, but frankly, I am not even sure where I heard this and I don't quite buy it. I hope it's true, but I wouldn't count on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    That sound so weird... as many of the Allied Races (Highmountain, Mag'har and Lightforged) are just reskins and can be fitted with the adjustments EASILY

Quote Originally Posted by Hanibuhl View Post
    That sound so weird... as many of the Allied Races (Highmountain, Mag'har and Lightforged) are just reskins and can be fitted with the adjustments EASILY
    That is correct... to an extent. I don't know how hard it would be to implement the new hairstyles, etc. It may be harder than I am giving credit for. Or maybe Blizzard just doesn't want to copy paste them and wants to give Allied races more unique alterations (I can dream, right?). But... if that's the case, they still should have added the basic features to them, such as, you know... draenei tail lengths.

As it is now, Allied races are now behind on customization while normal races are ahead again. It's ironic, but unsurprising. I hope that the allied races catch up eventually.

I also wish that, outside of druids, Blizz would take a look at other (easy fix) thematic options that they didn't bother to give some of the Allied Races. Notable example: Lightforged Draenei Paladin should use the Lightforged Felcrusher as their Divine Steed. It just makes them seem half-assed (which I'm sure they are) when they don't pay attention to detail like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nize View Post
    I also wish that, outside of druids, Blizz would take a look at other (easy fix) thematic options that they didn't bother to give some of the Allied Races. Notable example: Lightforged Draenei Paladin should use the Lightforged Felcrusher as their Divine Steed. It just makes them seem half-assed (which I'm sure they are) when they don't pay attention to detail like this.
    Yeah I still don't get why Mag'har aren't more buff (from all their war), the Lightforged are taller (due to their infusion) and the Highmountain are a bit more agile (do to their chores in the mountains)

That way they look more unique!

From a business point of view, people who rerolled or race changed with the addition of ARs will now change back due to increased customization. After a while, with new or upgraded ARs, people may reroll and race change yet again. All to please the shareholders while we’re paying.

Yeah I still don't get why Mag'har aren't more buff (from all their war), the Lightforged are taller (due to their infusion) and the Highmountain are a bit more agile (do to their chores in the mountains)

That way they look more unique!
    Oh I know the answer for these!

It's because allied races are just flavour, an afterthought, and Blizzard didn't really put much work or effort into them.

Also, it's funny how they introduce new customisation options for other races than AR right after allied race expansion is over. Almost makes you wonder if there was an ageda to have players pay for race changes from allied races back to core races.

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Oh I know the answer for these!

It's because allied races are just flavour, an afterthought, and Blizzard didn't really put much work or effort into them.

Also, it's funny how they introduce new customisation options for other races than AR right after allied race expansion is over. Almost makes you wonder if there was an ageda to have players pay for race changes from allied races back to core races.
    It is pretty funny how Maghar orcs are a whole separate race you have to grind rep for & pay race change, but now black Blood elves are just a customization option.

Quote Originally Posted by Tantypops View Post
    From a business point of view, people who rerolled or race changed with the addition of ARs will now change back due to increased customization. After a while, with new or upgraded ARs, people may reroll and race change yet again. All to please the shareholders while we’re paying.
    This guy gets it.

the same question could be, why draenei dont have the same feature that lightforged

its work in both way, if you want both to have the same option, its just 2 cloned race and remove them their originality

Thematically, additional customization options have been added to the base races to help set them apart more, as some allied races already look very similar to their base races. So you can make you regular Dwarf look like a Wildhammer Dwarf to set it apart even more from a Dark Iron Dwarf etc...

It makes sense why they did it that way, though it would be nice to get new unique customization options for Allied Races down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by kaintk View Post
    the same question could be, why draenei dont have the same feature that lightforged

its work in both way, if you want both to have the same option, its just 2 cloned race and remove them their originality
    Divergent evolution.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

It seems like just having core races and allied variants sharing options would work, but it would probably make non-direct copies like Kul'Tiran or Vulpera or or Nightborne or Zandalari feel left out because they're not as direct model equivalents of other races. It would be a boon for Dark Iron, Highmountain, Mag'har, Void Elf, Mechagnome, and Lightforged though.

However, if all Allied Races and all Core Races shared each other's customizations it would kind of make us wonder why have them separate in the character select screen - then you would be selecting sub-races in the customization window and it would have to be analyzed if that's something that should be able to change based on the customizations you use or if the 'subrace' category is something more permanent or something you could change freely in the barber or something -- but at that point, the ability to change racials to perhaps get performance boosts just by going to a barber and customizing your character probably fringes on a level of power optimization that not all other races have access to.

This may be why other races like Gilgoblin have been otherwise kind of close to being playable Allied Race variants, because if all races had an "other racial ability set" option with all the customizations that went with it, no race would be left out in the cold of having another set of racials to choose from and potentially pick freely. It would kind of demand them make new Allied Race variants of the new Allied Races that don't otherwise pair with anything else, though. And, if that were to ever happen, it may be a problem if the Allied Race paired with another new Allied Race may be seen as having less quality than other Core Races that are paired with an Allied Race in terms of overall quality (and perhaps even quantity) of options. They could supplement with more player customization updates to facilitate this to make it more equal. And MAYBE THEN it would all be equal and work out. But that's a lot of work to be made in a lot of increments to facilitate a problem made by multiple racial sets across the Allied Races. Perhaps if racials didn't exist it would be a lot easier to meld options together.
    Last edited by Razion; 2020-10-11 at 07:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    I don't have the PTR, so I'm asking here:

Do features such as the tail-length for Draenei also apply to the Lightforged, or the Nose-rings on the Orcs, or jewelry in general?
    Blizzard did say that More options will be made available later on, so it's possible the Allied Races will also get some.

Very sparingly, yes. Maghar orcs can customize their tusks. Void elves can use all the new and old blood elf skins, but not ear length. Lightforged can change their tendrils and hair seperately, but not their tail length. Dark iron dwarves cant customize thwie mustaches and beards seperately. Etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shame as some of the allied races really can use some more customization...lightforged and nightborne especially imo