Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why not just make soul binds unique per spec?

There's so much trying to make soul binds better right now than their current situation. Why not just give us the 3 should binds that are tied to our spec?

This would make it so if I'm on my pally I can tank dps and heal without gimping 2 of my specs by having bad soul binds.

Just to clear up what I'm saying by tied to the spec, let's say Pelagos is your optimal should bind for Holy and Ret. When you swap from Holy to Ret, your Pelagos also switches its conduits and patching based on what you have set for that spec.

I mean that would be the logical option.

The better option is just remove them altogether, they are fucking pointless and no one cares. It's not a fun system, and absolutely nobody would give a shit if they were entirely removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercarcher View Post
    let's say Pelagos is your optimal should bind for Holy and Ret.
    They want you to make the meaningful choice of picking un-optimally for either holy or ret

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post

The better option is just remove them altogether, they are fucking pointless and no one cares. It's not a fun system, and absolutely nobody would give a shit if they were entirely removed.
    Why do I keep reading opinions like this were people assume that everyone think the same as they do?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mercarcher View Post
    There's so much trying to make soul binds better right now than their current situation. Why not just give us the 3 should binds that are tied to our spec?

This would make it so if I'm on my pally I can tank dps and heal without gimping 2 of my specs by having bad soul binds.

Just to clear up what I'm saying by tied to the spec, let's say Pelagos is your optimal should bind for Holy and Ret. When you swap from Holy to Ret, your Pelagos also switches its conduits and patching based on what you have set for that spec.
    Well, this would remove the whole intention of the system.

You are NOT suppose to be optimal in all aspects of the system. You have to choose. Thats the whole fun of the system.

Even without the system all together you will not be optimal in all situations anyway so its not even a sensible thing to have as a goal.

Just pick what you like and enjoy the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesshin83 View Post
    Why do I keep reading opinions like this were people assume that everyone think the same as they do?
    Because if you like it, you're obviously an idiot and a Blizzard shill!

/s

Explain to me why you think it's a good system? There's no interaction with the 'soulbind', it's merely a streamlined artifact weapon tree full of passive traits. If they were completely gone would you even care? How is your gameplay going to change as a result?

We spent an entire expansion farming out the same traits in BfA. Now we're going to spend an entire expansion farming out upgraded conduits. What an engaging, riveting system...

Fuck off. I would care. They're better than the static shit we got in legion and bfa.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll give you a hint: It's something to do with dumb people compensating by having ingrained reactions. If you can't think you just lean into emotions and let them run the show.

We spent an entire expansion farming out the same traits in BfA. Now we're going to spend an entire expansion farming out upgraded conduits. What an engaging, riveting system...
    So your entire summary can basically be summed up as "If we have to farm it then it is a pointless and useless system".

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    Fuck off. I would care. They're better than the static shit we got in legion and bfa.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll give you a hint: It's something to do with dumb people compensating by having ingrained reactions. If you can't think you just lean into emotions and let them run the show.
    Awww poor thing, did you get all offended? Why would you care? They have no meaningful impact on your gameplay other than x spell does y % more damage

Don't get upset.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    So your entire summary can basically be summed up as "If we have to farm it then it is a pointless and useless system".
    No my entire summary is they are meaningless and add no real depth to your gameplay. But hey, if you enjoy systems on top of systems on top of systems that they clearly have no idea how to get right, then go right ahead

No my entire summary is they are meaningless and add no real depth to your gameplay. But hey, if you enjoy systems on top of systems on top of systems that they clearly have no idea how to get right, then go right ahead
    That wasn't your summary though. Your entire summary did nothing but complain about farming. You ask others to give reasons, but the only one you gave was farming. Then you say that's not what you said. Sounds like you can't make up your mind on which bandwagon to jump so you can hate them at this point.

Oh, people would care. have Blizzard ever managed to remove something without people being upset?

This is a class example of someone missing the point.

The negative is not farming itself. The negative is that you have to farm the same traits over and over. Everytime a new tier comes out we have to go out and farm the exact same items that we have already farmed just in a slightly stronger version. That’s not engaging at all. You can say a lot about tier sets but at least we got new bonuses every tier. As a Rogue I have used the same Azerite traits for more than 2 years. And everytime a new tier came out I had to farm the same pieces of gear with the same Azerite traits all over again.

So no, it cannot be summed up to what you say. Farms are fine. But farming the same items multiple time in a pointless loop it not fine.

- - - Updated - - -

That wasn't your summary though. Your entire summary did nothing but complain about farming. You ask others to give reasons, but the only one you gave was farming. Then you say that's not what you said. Sounds like you can't make up your mind on which bandwagon to jump so you can hate them at this point.
    You actively cut out half of his post in your answer. So you chose to only answer the part about the farming. But now you’re telling @Th3Scourge that his summary was only about farming because you cut the other part out. Come on. That’s not fair.
    Last edited by Kaver; 2020-10-11 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    This is a class example of someone missing the point.
    I am not missing the point at all. The problem they have is that they have to farm things.

The negative is not farming itself. The negative is that you have to farm the same traits over and over. Everytime a new tier comes out we have to go out and farm the exact same items that we have already farmed just in a slightly stronger version. That’s not engaging at all. You can say a lot about tier sets but at least we got new bonuses every tier. As a Rogue I have used the same Azerite traits for more than 2 years. And everytime a new tier came out I had to farm the same pieces of gear with the same Azerite traits all over again.
    Guess what they are the same things just under different system.

So no, it cannot be summed up to what you say. Farms are fine. But farming the same items multiple time in a pointless loop it not fine.
    So farming for a new set bonus is exciting, but farming for a piece you may/may not have isn't? Everything in the game essentially boils down to what you are saying "Farming the same thing over and over" and people have been fine with it all these years.

I'd rather get systems like this that I can work on throughout several modes than feel like I need to farm one specific mode to get a set bonus that will be underwhelming when the next tier hits. I'd rather all my progress come from dungeons, raids, pvp, world quests, etc rather than spending months and months trying to get a set bonus I may or may not hit.

The differences in your example is one is an obtainable goal through multiple contents while the other requires RNG to get all the pieces to drop.

You actively cut out half of his post in your answer. So you chose to only answer the part about the farming. But now you’re telling him that his summary was only about farming because you cut the other part out. Come on. That’s not fair.
    Except the part cut out still didn't explain anything other than "I don't like it we have to keep farming".

I am not missing the point at all. The problem they have is that they have to farm things.

Guess what they are the same things just under different system.

So farming for a new set bonus is exciting, but farming for a piece you may/may not have isn't? Everything in the game essentially boils down to what you are saying "Farming the same thing over and over" and people have been fine with it all these years.

I'd rather get systems like this that I can work on throughout several modes than feel like I need to farm one specific mode to get a set bonus that will be underwhelming when the next tier hits. I'd rather all my progress come from dungeons, raids, pvp, world quests, etc rather than spending months and months trying to get a set bonus I may or may not hit.

The differences in your example is one is an obtainable goal through multiple contents while the other requires RNG to get all the pieces to drop.

Except the part cut out still didn't explain anything other than "I don't like it we have to keep farming".
    1) I didn’t say tier sets overall was good. That’s an entirely different discussion. I just said that at least we got something new each tier. With Azerite gear we got the same each tier. I agree it’s bad when some “mandatory” gear only comes from one source.

2) Everything in the game does not boil down to farming the same things over. It was not this way before Legion. This is not only a problem with Azerite gear but also trinkets. Farming Harlan’s dice for 2+ years is not fun. We want new trinkets every tier. Not only in raids.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, this would remove the whole intention of the system.

You are NOT suppose to be optimal in all aspects of the system. You have to choose. Thats the whole fun of the system.

Even without the system all together you will not be optimal in all situations anyway so its not even a sensible thing to have as a goal.

Just pick what you like and enjoy the game.
    That point just confused me. Why for you is it fun to be less effective in an off spec? I mean I know challenge runs are fun for some people but I doubt this will be on the same level as playing Dark Souls with a guitar controller.

No, my original point was that it's not a fun system and no one would care if its gone. One of the key flaws of the system is the continuous farming of the same conduits over and over.

That's neither fun nor engaging, meaningful gameplay.

Prove me wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Oh, people would care. have Blizzard ever managed to remove something without people being upset?
    Considering it's not live, no, people probably wouldn't care for all that long. And it would be a blessing

No, my original point was that it's not a fun system and no one would care if its gone. One of the key flaws of the system is the continuous farming of the same conduits over and over.

Prove me wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Considering it's not live, no, people probably wouldn't care for all that long. And it would be a blessing
    I'm not saying I don't agree with you on its removal. I see little point in it in its current state.
    I just think that they should have tested it some more before making a big thing out of it as I belive people will freak out if they remove it this late. I might very well be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    I'm not saying I don't agree with you on its removal. I see little point in it in its current state.
    I just think that they should have tested it some more before making a big thing out of it as I belive people will freak out if they remove it this late. I might very well be wrong though.
    After they redesigned and readjusted them 3 times now without ever stating the actual goal of them for most of it, it is kinda obvious that they had no idea what soulbinds should be in the first place. They should have probably scrapped them back then and just made legendaries more interesting. As this thread shows though, a few people have bought into the idea hook, line and sinker, despite it doing absolutely nothing besides giving you nether crucible style mid tier or inner azerite trait style generic perks. Frankly I would have thought of them as more meaningfull if they were just "bodyguards" in the open world and a medium CD in instanced content. Conduits are shit tier glphys in the first place, they could have nailed them to any old interface, so let's not kid ourselves here.

But you are right, it is to late and all the people that have decided this is the best thing since sliced bread need to taste how pointless it is for themselves, otherwise we will only get martyr myths about the great system that was killed by the evil elites or some other rubbish like that.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

People complained about progression of Artifact weapons tied to specs. Druids had 4 specs and DHs have 2 specs to further complicate matters in terms of being equal with the amount of trees you get and how many trees you had to potentially optimize or unlock and whatnot - so at least as far as these classes are concerned it wouldn't really work unless they cut off an entire Soulbind which kind of defeats the purpose of the RP of it and having that ally, putting aside whatever personal whacky build people may what to do or whatever utility kind of perks they may think are neat regardless of optimization.

But, speaking at least about the 3 specs as far as they normally go for 3 soulbinds, generally speaking I think people would like to have a general power set for characters that are less specialized and they may only care about the one soulbind and spec for characters they are going a bit more try-hard on. People play the game differently, and I think the flexibility in this case is kind of important in as far as making it as accessible as possible for players being able to use it how they like. So, being able to have Soul Binds tied to spec in terms of automatically activating based on spec seems to be similar in terms of equipping Artifacts automatically. So that much at least should probably be there because there wasn't a problem with that in Legion, and there probably would have been a problem if people were using the wrong Artifacts back then for the wrong bonuses on the wrong specs. Certainly there's also potential for players to maybe not be aware that these aren't changing for them based on spec all the time on the low end or casual end, so that probably presents a problem in terms of player expectations and power expectations even. But if all soulbinds are evenly matched, which I guess is the goal, it isn't supposed to ultimately matter - rather the Conduits are supposed to be what determines the power because they seem like they're more specialized in terms of optimization. That said, some soulbinds only unlock after a long period of time so functionally those won't be available anyway so people will be forced to use less in the meantime.

This does kind of present a weird dilemma later in terms of whether unlocking them would feel good or not and whether having less is seen as a better or worse thing and if unlocking one later is even seen as a reward at all if it isn't a pure upgrade all around for everything, in which case it would also kind of be to detriment of the RP and choice and potential utility powers that may be present within other trees (although I guess running into different souls to bind with later is a story beat in and of itself). But they are giving people the option to swap around more frequently now so it doesn't seem like it's really much of a problem for people who want to optimize - but rather now more an inconvenience for the casual side which these entire systems were probably more built towards, I imagine.

Because you apparently have very anti-fun opinions about the game that a lot of people disagree with?

Newsflash buddy, you dont have to like every decision or idea that Blizzard comes up with.
    And that can still mean you like the game! And you want it to be better.

It doesnt mean you have to eat every shit decision they come up with like a turd sandwich and be happy about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Prove me wrong.
    Well technically in the world, there will be at least 1 person somewhere that is extremely excited to watch paint dry.
    So there would be room for people who loves to re-farm shit in WoW for the 200th time cause they happened to get an upgrade.