Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Brewmaster Sfidt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    1,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Corseth View Post
    Its difficult to demand large scale file hosting and distribution be free and without ads. I don't use the curse client, but I don't use third party scraper based clients or bypasses either because I understand the point: you can't bypass every possible way Curse has to support file servers, distribution bandwidth, and web design and expect them to host content forever.

    The big advantage (in terms of not having to include any sort of monetization) things like cursebreaker, and mod managers that pull from curse, is they rely on curse paying for all of the above.

    I think it will be interesting to see what happens to internet services in general in the next ten years. Ads have gotten just so obnoxious, intrusive, and often even malware dangerous that consumers (justifiably) turn to ad blocking and removal options. But it's very difficult to get most people to pony up a cent to support services they regularly use as well, pushing those services towards other monetization options, because, well, hosting and development aren't free. Something probably has to change in how we monetize internet content and I'm curious and perhaps a bit apprehensive to see what.
    It’s more difficult to block ads in desktop apps for an average user. I think adding an option during app initial configuration/setup to choose a support form would be fair:
    1. show ad on startup
    2. show ad on exit
    3. minor fee and no ads
    any random popup ads are fucking cancer and I block them wherever and whenever I can.
    S.H.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Corseth View Post
    Its difficult to demand large scale file hosting and distribution be free and without ads. I don't use the curse client, but I don't use third party scraper based clients or bypasses either because I understand the point: you can't bypass every possible way Curse has to support file servers, distribution bandwidth, and web design and expect them to host content forever.

    The big advantage (in terms of not having to include any sort of monetization) things like cursebreaker, and mod managers that pull from curse, is they rely on curse paying for all of the above.

    I think it will be interesting to see what happens to internet services in general in the next ten years. Ads have gotten just so obnoxious, intrusive, and often even malware dangerous that consumers (justifiably) turn to ad blocking and removal options. But it's very difficult to get most people to pony up a cent to support services they regularly use as well, pushing those services towards other monetization options, because, well, hosting and development aren't free. Something probably has to change in how we monetize internet content and I'm curious and perhaps a bit apprehensive to see what.
    May I present to you: Linux distributions!

    No adware, no spyware, free to download, hundreds of thousands of software packages free to download, redistribute, modify, and upload back up again to the same network.

    No-no. It's not a problem at all. It's only a problem when a single company wants to take over all of the distribution, because that's a lot of downloads. But there's no reason why a single company should.

    EDIT: And in case I sound a little tilted, that's because I am. Right now I'm dealing with the same stupid BS from NexusMods. I've got a bunch of addons I want to download, and after paying those ****holes $40 about a year ago they've now locked my account because I've been inactive since I didn't play Skyrim for a bit. Then they say they'll send me a verification e-mail, but it hasn't arrived now for over 30 hours, and I can't play the game which thousands of people slaved away at to help me build and play. All this effort and love and care and fun wasted in an instant because a company can't figure out how to send out a verification e-mail. And this isn't the first time, either. Look at the TrustPilot score for that site, jeeze.
    Last edited by Ishayu; 2020-10-10 at 08:09 AM.

  3. #43
    It always amazes me how people accept to test blizzard's product for free where most people are paying high salaries for testers in gaming industry and software aswell.
    I mean it's nice, and i thank these people for trying to make a game i will play better, but i'd expect some money for doing that xD

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    Must be the fresh waves. No one that's been in the beta for a while can be fucked to even log in anymore, let alone actually level.
    That is the entire point of fresh waves, to get new people to try the fixes made in response to the previous wave.
    Blizzard knows not many people are willing to do through the levelling experience half a dozen times on beta to then against do it on live so you bring in staggered waves of new people.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post
    May I present to you: Linux distributions!

    No adware, no spyware, free to download, hundreds of thousands of software packages free to download, redistribute, modify, and upload back up again to the same network.

    No-no. It's not a problem at all. It's only a problem when a single company wants to take over all of the distribution, because that's a lot of downloads. But there's no reason why a single company should.

    EDIT: And in case I sound a little tilted, that's because I am. Right now I'm dealing with the same stupid BS from NexusMods. I've got a bunch of addons I want to download, and after paying those ****holes $40 about a year ago they've now locked my account because I've been inactive since I didn't play Skyrim for a bit. Then they say they'll send me a verification e-mail, but it hasn't arrived now for over 30 hours, and I can't play the game which thousands of people slaved away at to help me build and play. All this effort and love and care and fun wasted in an instant because a company can't figure out how to send out a verification e-mail. And this isn't the first time, either. Look at the TrustPilot score for that site, jeeze.
    This ignores the fundamental difference: Linux packages are by and large hosted by academic spaces who receive public funding to do so. Now I could probably host a site on my servers at the university no doubt, but if the traffic ever reached significant numbers, it would start to rise eyebrows and ultimately I'd be forced to shut it down.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    Its more of an off topic discussion, as I am sure mods will love to point out, but really. Sites like MMOC have no business running giant obnoxious ads on all corners. They will come out and say it shouldn't happen and to report, like they always do, but it never goes away. Its obnoxious, plain and simple. Advertising doesn't need to be obstruction. It doesn't need to be loud.
    Just look at how the ad industry keeps talking about consumers and it quickly becomes obvious why. They genuinely believe people go into the internet to look at loud, obnoxious ads and can't understand why they block them. Wouldn't be surprised if it eventually turns out that most ads just plain don't work at their intended purpose and all these companies are just burning money for no good reason.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Just look at how the ad industry keeps talking about consumers and it quickly becomes obvious why. They genuinely believe people go into the internet to look at loud, obnoxious ads and can't understand why they block them. Wouldn't be surprised if it eventually turns out that most ads just plain don't work at their intended purpose and all these companies are just burning money for no good reason.
    Oh I am pretty convinced most of advertising is just burning money for no return.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    That is the entire point of fresh waves, to get new people to try the fixes made in response to the previous wave.
    Blizzard knows not many people are willing to do through the levelling experience half a dozen times on beta to then against do it on live so you bring in staggered waves of new people.
    And as I've mentioned, many newly invited players jumping on beta aren't levelling characters. They're creating a template character and trying out all their new toys for their classes, creating their legendaries and doing dungeons and other end game content.

    Sure, there are some people levelling through, but I'm certain that they are a small minority. I know I did 50-60, but that was because template characters were deleted so I had no choice at the time.

  9. #49
    Never saw an overwolf-made product i needed or wanted.
    Their entire job seems to create blockades that you have to pay to get rid off (ads or money).

    I always download mods manually through a website and the only "manager" i use is LOOT because bethesda games implode randomly.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by natham View Post
    The horror...
    Tell me when in the past you had to practically do loremaster and run several dungeons to get to max lvl?

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    This will be much more than that tho. It might mean the death of free wow addons. If overwolf bans all other clients from using curse, limit download speed and say 1 addon per hour download unless you pay a hefty premium sum. Then what ? we start using wowinterface ? what if overwolf buys them aswell ?

    I hope blizzard will intervene here and stop overwolf from being allowed to monetize addons
    wait you mean we cant use twitch to get addons anymore?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Galathir View Post
    Tell me when in the past you had to practically do loremaster and run several dungeons to get to max lvl?
    when exactly? I didnt have to do loremaster in any pack, yes some zones that would happen, but not most.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Galathir View Post
    Tell me when in the past you had to practically do loremaster and run several dungeons to get to max lvl?
    Little game called vanilla wow? Heard of it?

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    And as I've mentioned, many newly invited players jumping on beta aren't levelling characters. They're creating a template character and trying out all their new toys for their classes, creating their legendaries and doing dungeons and other end game content.

    Sure, there are some people levelling through, but I'm certain that they are a small minority. I know I did 50-60, but that was because template characters were deleted so I had no choice at the time.
    They don't need a majority to do it. If they invite 10k people and only a 100 level that is another 100 data points on xp tracking during levelling since the last change.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    Little game called vanilla wow? Heard of it?
    In Vanilla (not Classic), I ground out the last 1.5 levels killing orcs and ogres in Burning Steppes...

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    This ignores the fundamental difference: Linux packages are by and large hosted by academic spaces who receive public funding to do so. Now I could probably host a site on my servers at the university no doubt, but if the traffic ever reached significant numbers, it would start to rise eyebrows and ultimately I'd be forced to shut it down.
    I think that you are overrating the number of WoW add-on users.

    How many people do you think are actually pushing the “update all” button at the same time every second of every day? I click the button 2/3 times A WEEK and add-ons needing an upgrade are usually no more than 5 with the operation lasting maybe 20 seconds max.

    I don’t really think bandwidth usage is an issue here.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    Anecdotally, yes, everyone I know who has beta access does not log on. Even those that got access 3 weeks ago. It is in a terrible state

    Even then, almost everyone makes a level 60 template character. I don't think I've run into anyone under 60 since they reactivated the template characters in late August...

    So then yes, I would imagine the pool of players actually doing levelling content on the beta to be incredibly small. Most people go on to test their new abilities and see which class they want to play. They can't do that without being level 60, so most just skip it all....

    Think before you post dumb shit

    - - - Updated - - -



    The last time I remember anyone doing levelling testing on the beta was when they were forced to..

    Template characters are a thing

    I’m level 56 on the beta, have came across one minor inconvenience so far. I think your assessment regarding the state of things may be a bit misleading. Beta really isn’t in that bad of a state from what I’ve seen.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    Little game called vanilla wow? Heard of it?
    I do. And I highly doubt you only reached level 60 there after doing every single quest in the game.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    Anecdotally, yes, everyone I know who has beta access does not log on. Even those that got access 3 weeks ago. It is in a terrible state

    Even then, almost everyone makes a level 60 template character. I don't think I've run into anyone under 60 since they reactivated the template characters in late August...

    So then yes, I would imagine the pool of players actually doing levelling content on the beta to be incredibly small. Most people go on to test their new abilities and see which class they want to play. They can't do that without being level 60, so most just skip it all....

    Think before you post dumb shit

    - - - Updated - - -



    The last time I remember anyone doing levelling testing on the beta was when they were forced to..

    Template characters are a thing
    Are you camping leveling areas 24/7? There’s people out there for sure

  19. #59
    I still do not understand why blizzard themself do not give comunity an addonns platform.... i mean they give us, forum, chat, twitter, fb, mobile support.... but no, addons platform is rocketscience.... why, just why????? hell they can even integrate in bnet launcher to require at least login!!!! JUST WHY????

  20. #60

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •