Either 8.x WW is seriously wrong or I obviously miss something.

I didn't roll the class for that spec (so far from an expert) but when using it in the world I noticed that it's very easy to run out of abilities to use other than a switch between tiger punch and blackout kick (to not lose the advantage of mastery) after I've used all other minor and major cooldowns. I probably miss something in the management of resources and it's not straightforward because if I google ww rotation I mainly get a priority that I mostly follow (alternatively the spec needs a revamp).

Wait 2 days and see if the issue persists in 9.x

Quote Originally Posted by WurstKaeseSzenario View Post
    Wait 2 days and see if the issue persists in 9.x
    I bet it's gonna be completely different in some respects, but I wondered if other more experienced players in the class see the character 'struggling to use abilities' after the minor CDs are used. I mean I try to use FoF and FotWT and WDP without wasting their CD but even after I do that I'm left "OK now do I just use Tiger Punch and Blackout Kick only?".

7+ Year Old Account
    spinning crane kick procs bro WW monk is the most solid class in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    I bet it's gonna be completely different in some respects, but I wondered if other more experienced players in the class see the character 'struggling to use abilities' after the minor CDs are used. I mean I try to use FoF and FotWT and WDP without wasting their CD but even after I do that I'm left "OK now do I just use Tiger Punch and Blackout Kick only?".
    Yeah that's completely normal, the spec's APM is in the lower range so down time is pretty much a given, though it is lessened with higher levels of Haste and alternatively you can take Ascension over FotWT which will speed it up a little as well.

T23 reports on Simulationcraft APM tell us WW averages 44 APM, which makes it bottom 9 specs in terms of APM and a little over 10% downtime. Depending on what spec you main (like Prot Warrior, averaging 72 apm) it could certainly feel slow. On the bright side at least you're not Assassination, with over 35% downtime and an average 39 apm.

OK why would you even design the game with very low APM? It effectively makes the game not beihg played for part of the time. I wonder if it's because melees have a hard time in general in PvE on bosses that need high distance movement but even then I'm pretty sure I didn't see that issue when I was playing a cat or a rogue a few years back and perhaps a warrior (though that class never felt the most fluid to me maybe apart from tanking).

What Kind of gear do you use? I am at 460 and barely have a lot of downtime. I feel like windwalker is one of the few solid and rewarding classes if played right.

I dabbled with WW a few times in legion, BFA, and the SL beta and have always had the same experience as you. Often have nothing to press other than tiger punch & blackout kick, or sitting on downtime. It’s the reason I’ve only dabbled with WW and haven’t played it more.

OK why would you even design the game with very low APM? It effectively makes the game not beihg played for part of the time. I wonder if it's because melees have a hard time in general in PvE on bosses that need high distance movement but even then I'm pretty sure I didn't see that issue when I was playing a cat or a rogue a few years back and perhaps a warrior (though that class never felt the most fluid to me maybe apart from tanking).
    Low APM does not mean you are not playing the game. In patchwerk style fights, sure. But in every other situation you still are playing the game, even if you are not spamming your abilities. Most classes are just spam their fillers, that's not that exiting gameplay in my eyes. Tactical and timely use of abilities can as fun as high APM classes. Now, the monk is not such a class, but it could be.

Blademaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    It's not gonna be different.
    And you actually fight like that as a ww monk.

Quote Originally Posted by hlodvig1505 View Post
    It's not gonna be different.
    And you actually fight like that as a ww monk.
    OK since we settled that, what are you doing in the downtime? I'm thinking I should start using defensives or throwing toys or /tell "more deeps you".

OK since we settled that, what are you doing in the downtime? I'm thinking I should start using defensives or throwing toys or /tell "more deeps you".
    CC, dispel, move, plan.

other than a switch between tiger punch and blackout kick
    What's wrong with that? They're still buttons to press.

what kind of gear do you have??
    what talents are you using??
    what enchants/trinkets etc

as a WW monk your talents can help with downtime and at current gear you shouldnt have any unless you are spamming something you shouldnt be

Yes, there are times where you just go TP>BK>TP. But it's a lot better than spamming 1 ability 4 or 5 times until something else comes off cd. The spec doesn't feel as slow as some people say it is. I've been a Windwalker since MoP beta, especially since BK now reduces the cd of RSK and FOF, and it's the only spec I actually have fun with, and I've played every spec on every class. It's apm seems so low because you spend 4 seconds channeling FOF a lot, and can generally do 20 something casts of it during the course of a raid boss. Also, with higher gear, thus higher haste levels, RSK basically comes off cd within 1 or 2 BK casts.

The spec is fine how it is, though some tweaks are need such as WDP becoming baseline, but overall the "rotation" is just fine.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Its an energy spec. Energy specs arent supposed to fill every GCD. If you want a spec that can fill every GCD then you want one that doesnt use energy and has a free filler like havoc.