Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ...
5
13
14
15
16
17
LastLast
  1. #281
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    I'm not a fan of flashy lights/other effects on gaming rig cases. Whatever floats your boat, but "bling" is something I've never really cared for. If my gaming rig does its job, it can be in an ugly-ass gray case for all I care.
    bring back the beige I say!

  2. #282
    My NAS server has better hardware than most of yalls gaming PC's

  3. #283
    Here's mine. A 4k TV is worth exactly zero dollars more than 1080p.

  4. #284
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    Even if VR was only, like, a $200 investment, I still don't think it takes off. There is just not enough interest. It needs more killer apps that really show off what it can do.

    I know there is SOME stuff like that, but it's not enough.

    I just don't see VR being anything but a niche thing for the foreseeable future.
    Like I said, when the prices drop and more people get them, the good stuff will follow, especially seen how relatively easy it is to just adapt already existing first person games. It is a self reinforcing cycle, and it's gaining momemtum, "price/quality - players - games".

    Do you remember how many good games there were to choose between when this "home console video game nonsense" started in the 80's? Where are we now?

    Do you remember how many doomed internet to a short life in the 10 years it took to develop it from TCI/IP to WWW? It was utterly useless to most of us long after that as well. And people still claimed it was a waste of time and a fun experiment. Internet anno 2000? Paid by the hour at non-existing speeds, low res pictures took hours to download. Where are we now?

    Just wait, the days of VR are soon upon us.

  5. #285
    Bloodsail Admiral Misuteri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Nexus
    Posts
    1,148
    I’d rather have an iPod Shuffle than a new iPhone to run, bike and work out with.
    The most persecuted minority is the individual.

  6. #286
    Quote Originally Posted by Tronski View Post
    Like I said, when the prices drop and more people get them, the good stuff will follow, especially seen how relatively easy it is to just adapt already existing first person games. It is a self reinforcing cycle, and it's gaining momemtum, "price/quality - players - games".

    Do you remember how many good games there were to choose between when this "home console video game nonsense" started in the 80's? Where are we now?

    Do you remember how many doomed internet to a short life in the 10 years it took to develop it from TCI/IP to WWW? It was utterly useless to most of us long after that as well. And people still claimed it was a waste of time and a fun experiment. Internet anno 2000? Paid by the hour at non-existing speeds, low res pictures took hours to download. Where are we now?

    Just wait, the days of VR are soon upon us.
    I don't agree, but i'll admit I admire the attitude of VR people.

  7. #287
    Quote Originally Posted by VladimirM View Post
    iphones are so overhyped and trash
    Hardly an unpopular opinion.
    i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz cooled by Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6+ | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000/CL15 @ 3200/CL14 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II / Samson SR850 | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

  8. #288
    Twitch is to much filler. Lucky YouTube is twitch curated I rarely wanna watch anything live.

    GPU's cant be good enough. Im very disappointed with the new releases of GPU's last few years, graphic performance has not been lifted enough. Still cant play 1080p full high settings 144 hz wow with addons I bet. On the other hand CPU's has gotten great.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO
    NZXT H440 - Asus Z97 A Mobo - Corsair RM 850 - Intel I5 4590 CPU - Evo TX3 Cooler Master - Asus 970 Strix - 250GB SSD 850 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD - Windows 10

  9. #289
    Quote Originally Posted by iperson View Post
    bring back the beige I say!
    Those joyful days when floppy/CD drives came with silver/black/beige faceplates. All the customisation you could possibly need.

  10. #290
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Still cant play 1080p full high settings 144 hz wow with addons I bet. On the other hand CPU's has gotten great.
    Because it isn't a GPU issue at all.

    Its a CPU issue.

    So your statement is hillariously ironic.

  11. #291
    Quote Originally Posted by Tronski View Post
    Add that to the fact that the good games available are limited and that few in development focus on VR. When prices on VR sets drop further, developers will eventually go back and add VR comparability to their games.
    My unpopular opinion is that VR will not matter for most games.

    Simply put - you turn faster with the mouse than you do in reality; so VR isn't that competitive for most FP-games (VR is still useful in non-games and in some games); and the game doesn't have to be hyper-realistic for you to immerse and dream about it - that happens even with Tetris.

    And if you are not in first-person mode VR is weird.

  12. #292
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    Even if VR was only, like, a $200 investment, I still don't think it takes off. There is just not enough interest. It needs more killer apps that really show off what it can do.

    I know there is SOME stuff like that, but it's not enough.

    I just don't see VR being anything but a niche thing for the foreseeable future.
    It actually has a lot of potential on common people / casual gamers. Just like the first wii. All non gamers I let try vr were simply astonished just by the occulus starting experience. So maybe the occulus quest (I have a rift S, so not sure about that one quality) can work very well, if they manage to make it easy to test. Testing rollercoaster rides "for the show" was a garbage idea. That starting experience or games like Moss might be a way better approach. And they need to emphasize that you don't need a computer to use it.

    For more serious gamers it will be complicated. It's still quickly tiring to move while in first person, and the short teleport moving system, while being a good solution to reduce that problem feels clunky no mater what. And of course controllers can't beat mouse/keyboard. But people manage to play fps with pads so, it's more subjective.
    Last edited by Tarba; 2020-10-30 at 10:01 AM.

  13. #293
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Because it isn't a GPU issue at all.

    Its a CPU issue.

    So your statement is hillariously ironic.
    WoW is not bound by CPU if you buy a proper modern one, even the 9900k does not hold you back, its all about the GPU, especially if you want to crank the settings or even consider 1440p. See benchmarks for the game before commenting on something you think you know about
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO
    NZXT H440 - Asus Z97 A Mobo - Corsair RM 850 - Intel I5 4590 CPU - Evo TX3 Cooler Master - Asus 970 Strix - 250GB SSD 850 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD - Windows 10

  14. #294
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    13,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    WoW is not bound by CPU if you buy a proper modern one, even the 9900k does not hold you back, its all about the GPU, especially if you want to crank the settings or even consider 1440p. See benchmarks for the game before commenting on something you think you know about
    But the CPU is what brings you down to 30-40 fps in mythic though, because it's single-core dependant. And also what stops you from reaching 144hz in the overworld

    Back a while ago I ran a 980ti at 4k, got ~90fps in the overworld. Got me a new 1440p monitor, still had 90fps.

    If that's not a CPU bottleneck, I don't know what is.

  15. #295
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    But the CPU is what brings you down to 30-40 fps in mythic though, because it's single-core dependant. And also what stops you from reaching 144hz in the overworld

    Back a while ago I ran a 980ti at 4k, got ~90fps in the overworld. Got me a new 1440p monitor, still had 90fps.

    If that's not a CPU bottleneck, I don't know what is.
    I have not visited this topic for a long time, so after the big multicore widening in the last year or so wow is still bound by a single thread?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

  16. #296
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    13,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I have not visited this topic for a long time, so after the big multicore widening in the last year or so wow is still bound by a single thread?
    Yes, by design and necessity. Less so than before, but still very much true.

    They have to be 100% sure that you're in sync with the server and not off doing something else while the server thinks you're fighting a mob after all.

  17. #297
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    How is it overrated? It's functionally superior in every way to HDDs... nothing to do with being 'over rated'. That's like saying Vehicle travel is overrated when walking is just fine. <_<;
    All about context I guess..

    Yeah, if you -need- an SSD, then yeah, you need it of course. But for alot of people still I believe, myself included...honestly just get SSDs for the luxuary benefit of saving time etc..
    As for your vehicle example, I'd say if you have a 45min drive to work, yeah you need a vehicle. But if you use your car instead of a 10-15 min walk to the store, then its simply a luxuary..

    So myself, I no longer have HDDs, i'd never go back. I'm a gamer, I don't do any prod. work or anything else, and for me honestly it's just 10sec(SSD) vs 30-40 sec HDD loading screens and bootup. I'd never say I -need- an SSD.

    So yeah, I personally think SSDs are overrated. Everyone recommends them and say its a must have, "Oh i'd never be able to live without an SSD(dramatized for effect)".. But objectively speaking.. whether it takes 10 sec to do a loadingscreen versus 45sec(Even less, if whatever you're doing has been cached from an earlier session)

    Unpopular opinion eh

  18. #298
    Desktop PCs are going to museum within a decade and a half.

  19. #299
    Brewmaster Biernot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Desktop PCs are going to museum within a decade and a half.
    Unless there is a radical shift in transistor manufacturing that drives down the heat output, there will still be a lot of desktop computers around. There will always be people for which the negatives of a desktop computer are far less important than the additional performance through a better cooling solution.

    The death of the desktop computer was already foretold a decade ago and still.. here we are with lots of powerful desktop PCs (gaming, work, etc.). Granted, there are a lot more laptops around now compared to a decade ago, and this trend will go further in the future, but unless something radical happens, the desktop won't go away any time soon.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

  20. #300

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •