Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    VR will replace PC in the next 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by hazelmark View Post
    My Unpopular opinion is that one day Microsoft Edge will beat Google Chrome.
    Since uh.. it IS Chrome, that'll be a neat trick =P

Google doesn't really care, as long as you're in their ecosystem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benitora View Post
    In my personal opinion, it causes people in social situations to look more at their phones, than they do at the people around them and actually talk.
    I've far to many times been at a party or a plethora of other social events, where people just can't seem to put down their phones.

Another reason is that always having information in your pocket, can be negative. Want to prove someone wrong in something? Link them to a article that confirms your bias on something. Too much information always being there is something I just think blurs the line of what information is good or bad.
    Hm, seems reasonable.

GNU+Linux is better than Windows!

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Ill agree with "niche", but waste of time.. nah.

"Pull out your phone" implies that i always have my phone in my pocket. I dont.

A lot of days i dont even have pockets, and my phone is in the living room or my office and I am not, and having the watch on (mind you, i didn't spend 400$+ on a smart watch; i got a 130$ WearOS watch from Mobvoi (TicWatch) that is perfectly good) means i dont miss calls or messages or emails... and i can control my smart home stuff with it... without having to "pull out my phone". 'Cause its strapped to my wrist.

I agree with the "its not for everyone" thing - though in another 2-3 battery generations it might be. When i can ditch my cell phone and just wear a phone on my wrist, im there.

The tech is already there (LTE smart watches can make calls) they just dont have the battery life.
    Ah, see I also avoid smart home devices. I'm not a luddite or technophobe--quite the contrary, I work in IT and build my own machines--but I prefer just walking around and hitting the switches I need to for lights and stuff. I watched my grandmother try turning off the lights with Alexa for minutes on end when I could have just walked around and flipped the switches myself in seconds. It's the personal control I don't want to give up, I think. Middlemen just get in the way, though I'd probably feel differently if I built and programmed a device from scratch, which would never happen because I'm also a bum.

Lack of pockets is a failure of fashion design though, I'll give you that. I wear jeans or basketball shorts 99% of the time so that's not an issue I run into personally, though I certainly have herpa derpa'd and left my phone in weird places on occasion. Hell I nearly left for work without it this morning! Not that having a non-LTE watch would have helped from 10 miles away.

My uncle has one of those Samsung Gear 3 watches hooked up to the data plan so he can get texts and stuff through it. I tried it for all of a day and just couldn't hack the small screen. Old age, I guess. Wouldn't mind a fitbit though? Just something dedicated to heart rate and steps, maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    Lack of pockets is a failure of fashion design though,
    Nah i just mean that given the 'Rona, i dont leave the house. Im wearing sweat pants or house shorts. And im not carting my phone all over the house.

VR is an useless technology and already outdated because if anything, then Augmented Reality will be the way to go.

Sadly Smartphone games will be an even bigger market in the future than they are now. And there will still be not a single real game on the phones for the next few years as long as people pay money for games that could have been created in the 90s.

Windows will soon be based on a linux-core, althrough the file-system will stay the same.
    Last edited by Velerios; 2020-10-16 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    I watched my grandmother try turning off the lights with Alexa for minutes on end
    Alexa in particular has trouble understanding older people, and is not as good at voice recognition as Google or Siri. I never have an issue with my Google Homes. THough because i slur a bit it will sometimes confuse "on" for "off", but thats on me. I think both BitWit and Paul's Hardware did tests with all three ecosystems, and Alexa came out dead last in pretty much all situations.

when I could have just walked around and flipped the switches myself in seconds. It's the personal control I don't want to give up, I think.
    So dont? I use TP-Link's Kasa ecosystem, and their smart switches (light switches) still havephysical toggles. You can ALSO turn them on and off with your voice. The Smart (plug) Switches have physical buttons on them. I cant imagine that Samsung and Phllips and the other ecosystems dont have the same things. The reason we upgraded is to be lazier. If i forget to switch off the lights in the kitchen, i can just tell Google to do it. Its amazing when you're in bed and realize you left the overhead light on. Or when suffering from FIP (Feline-Induced Paralysis) or CIP (Canine-Induced Paralysis).

My uncle has one of those Samsung Gear 3 watches hooked up to the data plan so he can get texts and stuff through it.
    My Wife has a Samsung watch because she wanted it for fitness stuff (which WearOS lags behind in, just a bit)... but it sucks rocks for anything else because it runs on their "Tizen" OS (Not Android/WearOS) and its voice-recognition and voice-activated stuff is TERRIBLE.

Meanwhile, on my 129$ TicWatch with WearOS i can use my voice to control the whole thing, send texts that way, have it read texts out loud to me, etc. (Which Apple is also good at via WatchOS). Ill agree that trying to manually type on that little ass screen is a no-go though. I have big fingers.

SSDs are overrated

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faible View Post
    SSDs are overrated
    I really want to hear you reasoning, because.. Wow, that is unpopular.

I absolutely hate this Smartphone/Social Media era.

Quote Originally Posted by McTurbo View Post
    Virtual Reality WILL become the next big thing in gaming.
    Still waiting for that Nerve Gear to exist in my life time!

Quote Originally Posted by Faible View Post
    SSDs are overrated
    How is it overrated? It's functionally superior in every way to HDDs... nothing to do with being 'over rated'. That's like saying Vehicle travel is overrated when walking is just fine. <_<;
    Last edited by Daedius; 2020-10-19 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    C# > Python > c++ > c > script languages > html > css > word.exe > java
    Strange to see managed languages above languages that accessing the memory and hardware directly with with very fast code (compiled) and lots of optimisation potential (for games or enterprise apps).

I don't see C#/python above script languages at all, similar learning curve and similar restrictions.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Strange to see managed languages above languages that accessing the memory and hardware directly with with very fast code (compiled) and lots of optimisation potential (for games or enterprise apps).

I don't see C#/python above script languages at all, similar learning curve and similar restrictions.
    This is a subjective opinion. Thats what this thread is layed out to be about. Scripting languages are for newbies. Nowhere near similar learning curve. Python is a very high level language but its still lower then the script languages for a reason.

I think 3DFX GPUs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by pepine View Post
    Of course they were. NVIDIA bought it for a reason and 3DFX SLI made it till 2020 in NVIDIA GPUs.
    -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pepine View Post
    That's hardly unpopular. Voodoo2 was amazing, Voodoo3 was ok, Voodoo 5 was garbage. But then again the company only existed for about 6 years so it was remarkable what they achieved in so little time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Of course they were. NVIDIA bought it for a reason and 3DFX SLI made it till 2020 in NVIDIA GPUs.
    The SLI in 3DFX and the SLI that Nvidia use don't even stand for the same thing. Their purpose was roughly the same, but the tech behind it is also pretty different from what I understand

Quote Originally Posted by ArMeD_SuRvIvOr View Post
    Cellphone gaming is cancer.
    No!

Mine is: I think mechanical keyboards are a must even if you aren't a gamer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Mommy View Post
    No!

Mine is: I think mechanical keyboards are a must even if you aren't a gamer
    That's not unpopular though. Pretty much everyone who cares even remotely about typing in any regard prefers a mechanical keyboard

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    I'm not a fan of flashy lights/other effects on gaming rig cases. Whatever floats your boat, but "bling" is something I've never really cared for. If my gaming rig does its job, it can be in an ugly-ass gray case for all I care.
    The best computer is the one that you don't hear & see. For all i care, it could be in another room in a server rack.

Unpopular opinion: I hate using headphones.

The only reason i use them occasionally, is as a curtsy to others. Either when using voice chat during gaming (so my game sounds and music doesn't feedback into the mic), or when listening to something on my phone in a public place.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet