Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    You really think we're going to have full dive SaO style VR in 10 years?

I have some bad news for you my man.

- - - Updated - - -

VR isn't really any more expensive than a console these days. If it was this big thing just waiting to take off because of price, it would of by now.

As for quality, not being very knowledgeable about the current tech state of VR, i'm not exactly sure what you mean there. But how much longer is it going to take for it to be "the next big thing" that so many people claim it's going to be.
    It could easily take another 5-10 years before VR takes off. A decent VR set still cost twice as much as PS5 and almost as much as a computer that can't even handle it.
    Most people think tw(enty)ice before dishing out that kind of money to play games at the lower end.

Add that to the fact that the good games available are limited and that few in development focus on VR. When prices on VR sets drop further, developers will eventually go back and add VR comparability to their games.

I'm especially looking forward to play cyberpunk 2077 in VR one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tronski View Post
    It could easily take another 5-10 years before VR takes off. A decent VR set still cost twice as much as PS5 and almost as much as a computer that can't even handle it.
    Most people think tw(enty)ice before dishing out that kind of money to play games at the lower end.

Add that to the fact that the good games available are limited and that few in development focus on VR. When prices on VR sets drop further, developers will eventually go back and add VR comparability to their games.

I'm especially looking forward to play cyberpunk 2077 in VR one day.
    Even if VR was only, like, a $200 investment, I still don't think it takes off. There is just not enough interest. It needs more killer apps that really show off what it can do.

I know there is SOME stuff like that, but it's not enough.

I just don't see VR being anything but a niche thing for the foreseeable future.

There's Also a fairly large group of people who get sick in current VR gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    There's Also a fairly large group of people who get sick in current VR gear.
    Also people like me who have no desire to touch VR till we get the lay down tube/neural linked version you see in some movies.

I liked small cases/towers for a long time, but after I built my current rig with a much larger case, man I loved having the room to put things and string the cables along. Not sure if that is really unpopular, but if you build your own computer consider a big case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Smartphones can kiss my ass. Most of social media is people talking in memes for upvotes trying desperately to be the same as everyone else and "in the loop".

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Strange to see managed languages above languages that accessing the memory and hardware directly with with very fast code (compiled) and lots of optimisation potential (for games or enterprise apps).

I don't see C#/python above script languages at all, similar learning curve and similar restrictions.
    Also as a C# fan I'd still put RISC Assembly language above them all but I was moved along with the tide. Starting with Basic and machine code I learned C for the hell of it then C++ then C# because of .NET and the online documentation and resources. I'm in no rush to learn Python.

iphones are so overhyped and trash
    "Ahhh ahhhhh, ahhh, yeah, ahhhh, YEAH, YEAH, RIGHT THERE, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhh" Jenna Jameson

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    I use Chrome but it is massively resource intensive. On my crappy laptop I have to watch HBO on edge because chrome sputters to a halt.

I'm torn because I think Chrome is really good in most ways, but the crazy resource usage just really bothers me.
    When Chrome allows crisp fonts without this forced cleartype crap in their engine I'll consider using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    I'd still put RISC Assembly language above them all but I was moved along with the tide.
    People just dont understand how far away Assembly really is from C/C++/* in performance.

Tools like ODeus ASIO Link Pro, written in assembly have basicly no direct competition and if the programmer is deceased as in this case, the whole solution is gone, because you can't just replace it with a generic c/c++/c# whatever variant, it simply does not meet latency / performance requirements.

If microcontrollers and other major inftrastructure parts would not be written with assembly, our world would simply not work as it does.

Sadly I never did much with assembly, just used it in basic practical workshops to learn compiler construction.
    -

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care for "social media" or any of that crap. Never did, never will. I think that Twitter, Facebook and others (that includes Instagram and such) are making this place worse, when every stupid mofo is "an experienced fact announcer" and not just an idiot with a "post" button.

Large scale social media sites (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, etc.) are the bane of Western Civilization. It gives a platform and weight to people who can only parrot what they see without any regard to facts or circumstance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

I think twitch and streaming in general is worse than facebook/twitter.

Also: Anonymity on the internet was a nice try but does more harm than good in the western world. (e.g. hate groups, demagogy...)

Quote Originally Posted by Echeyakee View Post
    A single photo or a post from your home with a geotag and your address is public. You post a photo of your dog and the dogtag has your phone? It's now public. You tell everyone about your new awesome desk from Greg's Amazing Furniture? It's a matter of a single phone call to get your address.
    And? I own a Business I am there for 12+ hours a day the phone number and address is online for the world to see. I have my phone number listed on Facebook and have thousands of friends that I have never met aside from them having a cool car and us both being car guys they can all call me. I sell stuff online all the time my address is all over the internet, hell Ill tell someone my address if they want. I don't care if people know where I live, I live in Rural MN my House is well protected from any possible invaders.

There are no good gaming TV sets out right now, no matter how much you want to spend. The CX is probably the best, but has some issues that preclude it from being optimal. Computer monitors are in an even worse scenario for a different reason. The sets won't get better until 2021 when VRR is more mainstream and the new consoles launch with uniform HDMI 2.1 hardware for testing and crowdsourced troubleshooting. They need more time to dial in, and more people with TVs using the new console hardware to troubleshoot VRR and HDMI 2.1 issues as they appear. Also we need more info from console manufacturers on VRR, Freesync(if it exists in the new consoles?) and how the technology is implemented as far as frame syncing on the new consoles.

The console data will improve TVs for PC as well, and also probably(Just IMHO) have a passive effect on some software updates for some graphics cards as multiple industries figure out HDMI 2.1 and the best way to implement it across the different panel technologies.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2020-10-22 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    I'm not a fan of flashy lights/other effects on gaming rig cases. Whatever floats your boat, but "bling" is something I've never really cared for. If my gaming rig does its job, it can be in an ugly-ass gray case for all I care.
    bring back the beige I say!

My NAS server has better hardware than most of yalls gaming PC's

Here's mine. A 4k TV is worth exactly zero dollars more than 1080p.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    Even if VR was only, like, a $200 investment, I still don't think it takes off. There is just not enough interest. It needs more killer apps that really show off what it can do.

I know there is SOME stuff like that, but it's not enough.

I just don't see VR being anything but a niche thing for the foreseeable future.
    Like I said, when the prices drop and more people get them, the good stuff will follow, especially seen how relatively easy it is to just adapt already existing first person games. It is a self reinforcing cycle, and it's gaining momemtum, "price/quality - players - games".

Do you remember how many good games there were to choose between when this "home console video game nonsense" started in the 80's? Where are we now?

Do you remember how many doomed internet to a short life in the 10 years it took to develop it from TCI/IP to WWW? It was utterly useless to most of us long after that as well. And people still claimed it was a waste of time and a fun experiment. Internet anno 2000? Paid by the hour at non-existing speeds, low res pictures took hours to download. Where are we now?

Just wait, the days of VR are soon upon us.

15+ Year Old Account
    I’d rather have an iPod Shuffle than a new iPhone to run, bike and work out with.
    The most persecuted minority is the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Tronski View Post
    Like I said, when the prices drop and more people get them, the good stuff will follow, especially seen how relatively easy it is to just adapt already existing first person games. It is a self reinforcing cycle, and it's gaining momemtum, "price/quality - players - games".

Do you remember how many good games there were to choose between when this "home console video game nonsense" started in the 80's? Where are we now?

Do you remember how many doomed internet to a short life in the 10 years it took to develop it from TCI/IP to WWW? It was utterly useless to most of us long after that as well. And people still claimed it was a waste of time and a fun experiment. Internet anno 2000? Paid by the hour at non-existing speeds, low res pictures took hours to download. Where are we now?

Just wait, the days of VR are soon upon us.
    I don't agree, but i'll admit I admire the attitude of VR people.

Quote Originally Posted by VladimirM View Post
    iphones are so overhyped and trash
    Hardly an unpopular opinion.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B