SSD Upgrade for Laptop Lenovo Legion Y520-15IKBN

Hello, I have a Lenovo Legion Y520-15IKBN and I don't have much budget so I want to know if one of these cheap options can be used for my latop:
    -BAITITON NVME 128GB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Express GEN3.0x4

-Transcend MTE110S – SSD 128 GB, NVMe PCIe Gen 3x4 M.2

Both are 128 GB but I plan mainly to used it for wow or other games. Is also a good idea?

no, windows takes up to 30gb +(and ~2gb of downloads for major updates) gb of disk space. Wow currently takes up 80gb of disk space.
    you will have 10b of space remaining for "other" games
    If you played dota for instance it would need an additional 35 gb of disk space.
    ~200gb or higher is better
    Toss the dice until we fly, to dance with Jak o' the Shadows

Why M.2?
    A normal SSD isnt really slower for gaming and cheaper.
    I would go for a 256GB SSD or a 480-512GB, Prime Day is in 2 Days maybe grab there a cheap one.

I plan to maintain the disk and the hdd that I currently have. I mean, I'll add the SDD, but if there is a better option I want to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Why M.2?
    A normal SSD isnt really slower for gaming and cheaper.
    I would go for a 256GB SSD or a 480-512GB, Prime Day is in 2 Days maybe grab there a cheap one.
    Because this is a laptop and doesnt have any extra 2.5 inch bays?
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Because this is a laptop and doesnt have any extra 2.5 inch bays?
    It actually does have a 2.5 inch bay, just no bracket, so he'll have to buy that separately. I have the big bro Y910 and it comes with a NVMe 512gb and optional 1tb 2.5 inch with an extra PCIe slot.
    And just briefly looked over his specs and appears to be pretty much identical but he has worse everything compared to me but the case looks identical.

So he could add a NVMe or exchange his 2.5 hdd for an SSD.
    (Assuming his came with a hdd at all, mine didn't. So could just add and not exchange)

Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    So he could add a NVMe or exchange his 2.5 hdd for an SSD.
    (Assuming his came with a hdd at all, mine didn't. So could just add and not exchange)
    I'm assuming the problem is that he wants to keep his HDD and looking into adding an SSD because of Shadowlands hardware requirements (correct me if I'm wrong OP).
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

I'm assuming the problem is that he wants to keep his HDD and looking into adding an SSD because of Shadowlands hardware requirements (correct me if I'm wrong OP).
    That's correct, actually I plan to get it for pre-patch.

Hmm. The series and even the tech specs I looked at all have SSD (M.2) as default with optionally 2.5 hdd.
    In my case, I got a 512gig M.2 and I added my own 1tb M.2 and I have the option left to add another 2.5inch sdd/hdd.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sicret View Post
    That's correct, actually I plan to get it for pre-patch.
    What do you have now? Could you list the model?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sicret View Post
    Hello, I have a Lenovo Legion Y520-15IKBN and I don't have much budget so I want to know if one of these cheap options can be used for my latop:
    Lenovo laptop bios have a whitelist for approved devices. Before considering an upgrade, you should check with Lenovo to see which they've approved for use. Otherwise, when you install a non-whitelist device, the bios will stop the bootup and demand you remove the new piece off hardware.

How do I know this? I removed the wireless card from a Lenovo laptop I had because it was absolute trash and replaced it with one I wanted. Booted up and couldn't get past the bios. After a couple of hours arguing with customer service, they accepted my return.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-...0/td-p/4113173

Edit: added link to supporting information
    Last edited by Erous; 2020-10-11 at 03:09 PM.