Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Keyboard Turner
    3+ Year Old Account

Keep PVE and PVP Gear Distinct In Battlegrounds

Good morning,

Just came back to WoW after a long break and have returned to play within the battlegrounds which is the game play that I enjoy the most.

Sadly, I have come back to the Dev's enabling pve gear to surpass pvp specific gear...yikes!

Just a lone voice in the wilderness here, but I contend that those who play within the battlegrounds should have the superior gear (pvp) to those who focus more upon the pve content of the game. If I were to go into a pve raid or mythic would I be wearing my pvp gear as best in slot?

Is there any news about the Dev's approach to gear in the battleground?

Thanks!

Blademaster
    3+ Year Old Account
    From my understanding going into shadowlands it's not supposed to be as big of an issue. Doing pvp will be the best way to get pvp gear, and with the honor/conquest upgrade systems it should create much less of a gap.

Keyboard Turner
    3+ Year Old Account
    Ok cool!

I hope that is the case!

Thank you for the 411!

Blademaster
    3+ Year Old Account
    There will be pve content to get some things like legendaries but as far as it seems it can be done small group and solo. At least that's how torghast is portrayed, haven't done any beta myself.

They removed pvp power from the pvp gear in shadowlands, so... That means you probably won't be able to pick the stats you want from the pvp gear and you will have to do mythic+ and raids to get your gear still. There may be a vendor for the gear instead of a BFA weekly box but it is pretty much the same as BFA.

Blademaster
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheeb View Post
    They removed pvp power from the pvp gear in shadowlands, so... That means you probably won't be able to pick the stats you want from the pvp gear and you will have to do mythic+ and raids to get your gear still. There may be a vendor for the gear instead of a BFA weekly box but it is pretty much the same as BFA.
    Pvp gear has increased vers and with two pvp trinkets you get a boost to dmg and healing from the vers on your gear. Not to mention there are six tiers of upgrades using pvp currency to gain I levels. This is a drastic change from bfa

Quote Originally Posted by Scynfullone View Post
    Pvp gear has increased vers and with two pvp trinkets you get a boost to dmg and healing from the vers on your gear. Not to mention there are six tiers of upgrades using pvp currency to gain I levels. This is a drastic change from bfa
    Yea but is vers that big of a deal? Plenty of pve gear has it and vers is nowhere close to as effective as Resilience or pvp power in previous expansions was for differentiating pve/pvp gear.

Blademaster
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zylos View Post
    Yea but is vers that big of a deal? Plenty of pve gear has it and vers is nowhere close to as effective as Resilience or pvp power in previous expansions was for differentiating pve/pvp gear.
    If there is no difference in the gear then that is ideal. Means I can pvp for pvp gear. Their approach is designed to not have pve gear be better. They stated this a few times. Bfa was the biggest push into pve to be able to pvp wow has seen since vanilla

I'm not sure if you have actually checked the current ilvls and stats properly (unless it has all changed from the last time I looked around 2 weeks ago ) it is definitely better to pve still

Blademaster
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheeb View Post
    I'm not sure if you have actually checked the current ilvls and stats properly (unless it has all changed from the last time I looked around 2 weeks ago ) it is definitely better to pve still
    233 from the highest pve. There is no current information on how high conquest gets to be upgraded until, it starts at 190 and if it follows the same curve as honor upgrades that would place it at the same 233 and the highest ilevel from pve. Not sure where you got your info from.

It doesn't make sense to.

All pvp gear does is add an excessive grind to entry. If you want those kills you gotta get dem skillz not whale on newbs.

You're not alone in wanting separate PvP and PvE gear, but unfortunately for you and many others the exact same gearing system we had in BfA will make it into SL.

There is a minor difference in that people at 2.4k can skip PvE and use a vendor to pick and choose stats, but pretty much everyone else will still have to PvE to keep up. And likely, even people at 2.4k will want to PvE to get the best weapons and highest ilvl vers pieces, if not trinkets despite the pvp bonus.

Most importantly though, PvE heroes will still be able to flex their gear in PvP just like they can now. Different lipstick on the exact same pig.

So, PvP scaling was removed. If the current plan for the PvP gearing system stays as-is, it's looking like top-tier raiders will be dominating PvP for the first time since the Burning Crusade.

Blademaster
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightytasty View Post
    So, PvP scaling was removed. If the current plan for the PvP gearing system stays as-is, it's looking like top-tier raiders will be dominating PvP for the first time since the Burning Crusade.
    You must have been absent since tbc. Also not sure what systems you are referring to. If anything the gear upgrade system for pvp gear would do the opposite of what you are suggesting.

Game shouldn't be balanced around BGs pass

Quote Originally Posted by OFiveNine View Post
    Game shouldn't be balanced around BGs pass
    "game shouldn't be balanced around the activity that 90% of PvPers actually do"

You know Arena representation has never been a significant portion of end-game PvP, right?

The new system sounds perfectly fine to me.

You can get to what looks like normal-Raid iLevel through nothing but honor, and mythic iLevel from Conquest....

So.. you can PvP to get PvP gear. And your gear will still be OK for PvE.

I dont see the problem.

If anything, youll see casual PvErs filling up BGs (which is a good thing) get get decent iLevel gear to get into Mythic+ and early raiding.

More people queueing = better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post

You know Arena representation has never been a significant portion of end-game PvP, right?

You can get to what looks like normal-Raid iLevel through nothing but honor, and mythic iLevel from Conquest....

I dont see the problem.

If anything, youll see casual PvErs filling up BGs (which is a good thing) get get decent iLevel gear to get into Mythic+ and early raiding.

100% agree with this. I mean everyone likes BGs or at least signs up for some gear. The game should be balanced around BGs and world PvP with arenas taking the backseat as a far less popular activity.

The easiest solution is the gear is the same ilvl as other, and then in pvp everyone is set to ---- Ilvl. That way you can control your secondary and everyone is on an even playing field.

Quote Originally Posted by rhrrngt View Post
    The easiest solution is the gear is the same ilvl as other, and then in pvp everyone is set to ---- Ilvl. That way you can control your secondary and everyone is on an even playing field.
    This concept has never worked.

Every time theyve gotten closer to this, its destroyed PvP participation.

Its a progression-based MMO.

People want to progress.

The "gear shouldn't mattar, just muh skillz!" attitude is an utter failure in MMO PvP.

And its not like real skill past a certain point (good reaction times, good dexterity at hitting the right keys at the right time) matters, especially in Arena.

You can be as skilled as you like, and if you are Class A and you come up against Class X, you will simply lose unless the person on the other end is handicapped. (Think: Afflock vs Rogue of any spec in TBC; AFFLOCK, not SL/SL, etc) You could be in T6 and the Rogue culd be in BG Honor gear (so S1 gear) and he'd win 100% of the time unless you were a god and he was an idiot.

This system seems to be fine.

Casuals can progress to Normal-mode iLevel at their own pace. Hardcores can progress to Mythic iLevel.

Hardcores will progress faster, Casuals will get there eventually.

Seems fine to me (and thats speaking as someone who never really Raids, and has done casual PvP as my end-game activity since Vanilla). Everyone gets something, the gear isn't worthless, but its stat spread (with lots of Vers) isnt super optimal for PvE.. but itll get your foot in the door.

About as good as its gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post

I dont see the problem.

idrc if BGs are what 90% of pvpers do. Realistically you shouldn't be balancing the game around the vast majority who don't know how to play their class effectively.

Only thing that should happen in BGs is threshold ilvls so people don't get completely dicked and when they've earnt gear they can start blasting plebs