Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'm indifferent. I generally dislike the recent trend of MMO's revolving around the player character being super special and one of, if not the most powerful person in existence.

I prefer imagining my character(s) as having their own agendas and more humble origins. Generic adventurers or soldiers, basically. So it's often hard for me to get into stories that don't allow for that. Incidentally, the 'forced exclusivity' is also why I'm a bit put off by FFXIV's recent storytelling as well.

Most of the critical points are locked behind a cinematic, so I can't say anything for sure until they are released.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Me. The only characters in SL that im interested to witness the fate of are Kael'thas and Arhtas. Maybe Thrall too. Thats pretty much it.
    Nothing in Bastion (Uther? Who actually care about this half-soul old fart?),
    nothing in Ardenwheald (NE lore always felt generic to me and Bwonsamdi deal is already pretty underwhelming),
    nothing in Maldraxus (Draka and Kelthuzed? Who the fuck want to rewitness him failing for the third time and lame adventures of Thrall's mom who isnt even actual Thrall's mom?),
    nothing in Revendreth, except for Kael'thas (well done with presentng Daenatrhius just to throw him into players jaws in the very first raid. way to dehype the character).

Both Jailor and Sylvanas deal are also presented in the most generic and uninteresting way.

First Ones who ACSHUALLY the bigger Titans were made in an asspulish writing way possible. Nothing before suggested about their existence. In a few expansions be ready to witness the appearace of the Even More First Ones, who were bigger than First Ones, aha. Blizzard really shit themselves up with that concept. WoW Chronicle vision of universe creation was way more organic and better instead of having some another creatures who created the cosmos. Fuck that lore.

So yeah, just Kaelthas and Arthas and thats it. Give me that 10.0 Light vs Void lore already, all of this sounds way more exciting and interesting. Id put Zealot Yrel and Garrosh Lightscream over literally who fairies, wannabe Scourge and Winter Queen (lol) all the day.
    Last edited by Harbour; 2020-10-13 at 06:29 AM.

Not hyped at all.

Shadowlands itself is a very poor conception of afterlife and it already leads to a sh*tload of retcons ever for recently released materials.

10+ Year Old Account
    More than I expected to be, actually. Not so much for seeing how dead characters are doing, but more for how this is all going to shake out for the overall cosmology and setting.

It's actively ditching all the otherworldy elements both in terms of visual design and morality that'd be interesting when going into the literal afterlife, so while the individual stories in the zones will be decent there's nothing all that exciting. It was a mistake to ever clarify the afterlife and while the new structure looks servicable it's built on a bed of retcons.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Indres View Post
    No new Ideas at all

What about scourge... But good!

Emerald Dream 2.0

Generic Gotic Vampires with Generic noble tyrant

Even the Jailer is Kinda boring. «Oh no he wants to kill everyone, including azeroth!»

Also arent there an infinite number of realms? Why don’t they all just unite to destroy the jailer

Also super lame the scourge is suddenly the good guys
    Well, technically the Scourge aren't exactly "the good guys". It's just that their former leader will be our Cicerone all the way through the xpac, much like Illidank in Legion or Magni in BfA.

But the rest is true. I mean, this is the freaking afterlife, they could have let their imagination go wild when it comes to visuals... And all we get are HD versions of Ashenvale, HoV and EPL? Only Revendreth looks mildly interesting.

And don't get me started with Oribos or (especially) the Maw. They are just lame, and the story, while at least serviceable, was only made possible after a $?!@ton of retcons - including quite recent developments lmao.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

I don't think I can ever get hyped for WoW lore at this point as it has been a mess since Cata. Never bought one of the books after the Arthas one either, and after exposing this Roux woman I won't even buy it if someone paid me to do so. The setting and theme of Shadowlands doesn't interest me much either. I would like to know more of whats going on with Arthas and how much he was in control as the Lich King. The Jailer so far seems like the worst villain yet, existing solely because Blizzard needed another power creeped baddie which the players is supposed to fear.

Every expansion has had some good smaller quests in each zone which will hopefully be the case in SL aswell.

7+ Year Old Account
    The wow cosmology focus isnt interesting to me

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    It was a mistake to ever clarify the afterlife and while the new structure looks servicable it's built on a bed of retcons.
    This
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    a dragon isles expansion makes no sense,maybe as one zone
    I mean, they turned Kul'tiras/Broken Isles/Zandalar into a continents so...
    I suspect they'll be bigger than a patch.

I think a twist on the scourge could be interesting, and the long running dreadlord plot (although I have a hard time taking them seriously). I really don't look forward to "member Arthas, member Garrosh" etc that seems to he coming up. We don't need the characters changed or given an excuse for their actions. We know who these characters are, there has never been a mystery to their motivations, this is the nonsense that ruined Illidan a bit in Legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    a dragon isles expansion makes no sense,maybe as one zone
    Well, the Broken Isles got turned into 5 zones themselves, I would imagine something similar could happen with the Dragon Isles easily enough.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

7+ Year Old Account
    No new Ideas at all

Emerald Dream 2.0

Even the Jailer is Kinda boring. «Oh no he wants to kill everyone, including azeroth!»

Also arent there an infinite number of realms? Why don’t they all just unite to destroy the jailer

They arnt the scourge...
    I mean I guess you got a point.
    I mean yeah but who doesent love generic vampires? I mean it's by far the most liked covenent, so obviously it works.
    I mean yeah, he's the "death god" who gains power as people die. Kinda makes sense he wants everyone dead. But actually we don't know his full motivations yet, so idk what your getting at.
    There is many realms, not infinite.
    Again not the scourge.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

I am interested in the cosmology aspect, but none of the zones themselves have caught my eye.

This is the first expansion I don't feel any kind of lore hype. Not because I am not interested in shadowlands concept, but because of the underwhelming zone, character design. If they kill off Sylvanas earlier than I expect, that would help me to get hyped a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Well, the Broken Isles got turned into 5 zones themselves, I would imagine something similar could happen with the Dragon Isles easily enough.
    yeah,i dont disagree that as a land mass it can be big,argus was a planet and they made it in to only 3 zones,but im talking from a lore perspective,what could the dragon isles contain that it justifies an expansion around it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    I mean, they turned Kul'tiras/Broken Isles/Zandalar into a continents so...
    I suspect they'll be bigger than a patch.
    im not talking about its size,im talking about the justification to make an expansion based on them,there is nothing there to justify it

jailer is lame and sylvanas is boring AF.

the new lore and factions might be worth a look.

not sure will classes be fun/interesting or as braindead boring as in bfa.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    yeah,i dont disagree that as a land mass it can be big,argus was a planet and they made it in to only 3 zones,but im talking from a lore perspective,what could the dragon isles contain that it justifies an expansion around it?
    Alternative draconic sanctums, breeding grounds, a Titanic installation or two, an island taken over by dragon hunters and/or pirates, the last remaining holdout of the Twilight's Hammer and the Twilight Dragonflight, an underground complex containing the last living Nerubians who were saved by Alexstrasza before their destruction by the Scourge, and a long-forgotten Black Dragonflight temple/sanctum which becomes a point of contention between Ebonhorn and Wrathion.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Not exactly hyped, but im super-curious and do look forward to it.
    I wonder what loose threads they dive into, what kinda lore we will see and what questions we will wonder about.

The races of SL look super-interesting

So im positive to the expansion.

But im easy to please, since i enjoyed BfA as well (Except it felt like there was way to little content when you only raid up to heroic)

No new Ideas at all

Emerald Dream 2.0

I don't see the problem in repeating common fantasy tropes. To me, it boils down to the execution of said tropes. Since I haven't spoiled myself yet, I have no way of telling if they are good or not. But I'm not going to judge the lore based on the general ideas and structure I've seen so far.