Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Except you also mentioned

-M+
    -World quests
    -Borrowed Power
    -Catchup Gear

Which quite frankly also raises much more questions:
    -TBC had catchup gear (2.3 & 2.4) as well as WoD
    -No expansion before Legion had any actual borrowed power, at least in the way Legion / Bfa have been doing them
    (Why bring up TBC / WoD in particular then?)
    -Heroic dungeons in TBC is basically M+'s ancestor
    -TBC introduced Daily quests and had outdoor grinds for profession related items (which is basically a more grindy version of World quests)

Even ignoring the fact that WoD was the very expansion that introduced the current raiding model of four difficulties without any shared lockout between them.

You just wanted bash those "evil hardcore raiders" and listed some things that is popular among certain circles of that particular audience, nothing less.
    If you dislike the preferences of that audience, whatever, but at least make sure that your argument is actually solid and not just a random list of things some of those people like.

Putting aside that there is only an extremely loose connection between the design of TBC and WoD.
    Now you're arguing semantics, and we could be here all day. I'm not here to state an argument for discussion, because that's not what this thread is about. I'm not bashing raiders either, I want to see what would happen to the game if they got rid of as many non-raider related conveniences, or content they've added since TBC. Some posters here have echoed that WoD would be ideal, so I mentioned it. Don't make this into something it doesn't need to be just to have something to argue about.

WOTLK wasn't as praised and loved when it was current as it is now

WOW is the best PVP experience you can get in any game

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I got a few...

1) Cata is the worst WoW expansion... I have made paragraphs full of reasons to this in the past, back when people were saying WoD was the worst. Now with BfA out I still think Cata is the worst and that WoD is second, BfA comes at 3rd worst. I still rank both Cata and WoD below it.

2) Jaina's redemption storyline in BfA is Blizzards best storytelling in game since Vanilla WoW's Tirion questchain.

3) The Arthas storyline from Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos is over rated. Not saying it is bad, its great. But the standards people hold it to are astounding, especially considering how cliche the storyline really is. With that said, it picked up and got better in The Frozen Throne.
    The only people I seewho don't think cata was the worst expansion are Wrath babies or newer. The only good thing cata had going for it was the dungeons. Class design was awful, story was awful, raiding was boring, the zones looked nice but were a nightmare, etc...

For all of WoDs and BFAs faults, at least they were fun while their content was fresh and if you were raid logging you enjoyed 2-6 hours a week (maybe not uldir). Cata was never fun.

7+ Year Old Account
    Classic

F** the premades meta
    F** the world buffs meta

10+ Year Old Account
    Catchup mechanics are dumb (alts are very ok) and Blizzard is in a rut. Ironically most people who cry about content drought also skip it all with welfare.

inb4 "U R ELITIST!" even though average players suffer the most from this problem, ur gear grind is worthless and ur progression is worthless all because the next freebies are better/equal. Mythic raiders are the only ones unscathed! as the gear/prog they get is needed right than and there to beat Mythic.

Blizzard got so desperate to keep people raiding even though average person says "screw this i'll just wait for patch freebies" they started limited time mounts like grove warden and spell wing because gear progression was so useless waste of time for average player!! I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard made limited time transmog tints/colours per raid tier to make doing a raid more than once worth it for average player!!
    Last edited by Daffan; 2020-10-24 at 12:23 PM.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

I enjoyed Cata, WoD, and BfA.
    Vanilla wasn’t as great as everyone remembers.
    Arthas does not deserve a redemption story.
    Giving Illidan a redemption story ruined a decent villain and brought out one of the easiest to play classes, more so than Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    The only people I seewho don't think cata was the worst expansion are Wrath babies or newer. The only good thing cata had going for it was the dungeons. Class design was awful, story was awful, raiding was boring, the zones looked nice but were a nightmare, etc...

For all of WoDs and BFAs faults, at least they were fun while their content was fresh and if you were raid logging you enjoyed 2-6 hours a week (maybe not uldir). Cata was never fun.
    Played since late classic, raided from TBC onwards. Cata was average, but BfA was much worse. My personal ranking remains TBC >=~ Legion >= MoP >>> Wrath > Cata >= WoD > BfA.

BfA had content, but the gameplay was so shit I just didn't want to play it (I didn't for most of it). WoD had pretty damn good gameplay (for what I was playing at the time), but lacked the content. Put the best parts of each expansion together & you end up with something that's potentially brilliant, while if you put the shortcomings of each together, you wind up with something irredeemably shit.

WoW has gotten better over time, and most peoples' problems with WoW are from personal burn out of playing the same game for 15+ years and not because of whatever thing Blizzard changed.

The game is fantastic and I enjoy playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    Played since late classic, raided from TBC onwards. Cata was average, but BfA was much worse. My personal ranking remains TBC >=~ Legion >= MoP >>> Wrath > Cata >= WoD > BfA.

BfA had content, but the gameplay was so shit I just didn't want to play it (I didn't for most of it). WoD had pretty damn good gameplay (for what I was playing at the time), but lacked the content. Put the best parts of each expansion together & you end up with something that's potentially brilliant, while if you put the shortcomings of each together, you wind up with something irredeemably shit.
    I see it a bit differently, BFA is very much Legion 2.0, class design is exactly the same just BFA borrowed power systems fell flat until 8.2 (granted Legions borrowed power was meh until 7.1.5). I think BFAs big issue is it shows how bored players get of content. Dailies, Mythic+, questing is pretty much exactly the same. BFA also told some really strong stories, such as Bwonsamdi, Talanji, the Snek Church, Jaina's story, Drustvar. BfD is also one of the best raid we've had in a while, Uldir was meh, some cool fights, but ... Eternal Palace and Nyolotha are just copies of the Legion last 2 raids. Just purple instead of green.

Thats kind of my point... there is just more to BFA/Legion vs Cata. Cata was so unremarkable. I can remember playing vanilla, tbc, wrath pretty clearly. What I did daily, what I felt about the game. Cata made me quit, I didn't get a chance at MOP but played a little of WoD and that I remember clearly too, class design was great, the zones were cool, Legion and BFA same story. Cata, I remember none of it, it was boring, frustrating to play, it was a step back in every aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    >DH should have been the model for all DPS classes
    >4 to 5 buttons and respectable DPS for any and all content

How much more boring do you want the class gameplay to be? Most specs are already hurting for interesting rotations to a pathetic degree.
    See I want 1 button BM Hunter back from BC, I play Healer for 95% of the content in game. When I play a DPS I want it to be a mindnumbingly easy set rotation like back in Wrath with Blood DK DPS, I play DPS as a break from having to do hard things so I want it to be simple and easy.

The original voice actress for Sylvanas in WC3, Piera Coppola sounded superior to the new voice actress, Patty Mattson.

Corruption was a great system for power

I love levelling more than the end game

I love Pandaria and the whole expansion as a whole as the best expansion ever.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post

I've played since Vanilla and I think Cata is better than anything that came after it. Loved the class design for the classes I played and the PvP. Every expansion after made me want to quit a couple weeks in, (except WoD, ironically).

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Now you're arguing semantics, and we could be here all day.
    Not really, you brought those things up.
    I'm not here to state an argument for discussion, because that's not what this thread is about.
    Unpopular and contradictory / false statements are two different things.

That's the point, your post contradicts itself.
    I'm not bashing raiders either, I want to see what would happen to the game if they got rid of as many non-raider related conveniences, or content they've added since TBC.
    The bloody irony is the fact that the game has been more "raid or die" in the "post TBC" era, hence putting TBC in there doesn't make a lick of sense in that context.

Heck, all of this "people should be able to progress their character outside of raids" is directly inspired by TBC, yet implemented in such a bad fashion by comparison.
    Some posters here have echoed that WoD would be ideal, so I mentioned it.
    Doesn't change the fact that TBC has little to do with WoD.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2020-10-24 at 03:09 PM.

DK should be reverted to be able to choose what spec to tank or dps with, and whether you want to DW or use 2h. The gimping issues of Wrath regarding weapons are gone (ie def rating, expertise, hit, etc). Also, the trees could easily have minor differences between versions tank and dps trees.

Borrowed powers are necessary for each expac and the game would crumble without them.
    M+ (MDI) is unwatchable.
    WoW arena is the most interesting team-based PvP in video gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Morssoe View Post
    Raid bosses drop materials for crafting gear instead of direct drops of gear.
    I'd absolutely agree with this if we had correctly implemented zone scaling. There could be 2 loot tables for every instance and raid.

- - - Updated - - -

Tying allied races to prerequisites was one of the top 5 dumbest dev decisions in BfA.