Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by psychodad View Post
    I don't anymore. That's the point. I'm an altoholic. I like to level characters and at max level, I often do not do much with them, exactly because gear will be invalidated with the next patch anyway. In the same way they take our borrowed powers away with every expansion. Level has been immune to that until now. At least levels were something that would stay that way forever. That's over now.
    If all you do is level characters, that's not what an altcoholic is lol. To be honest we don't even have a word for that since its so far out of left field. MMOs aren't for you. The fact that you cornered your gameplay to just leveling cause it was the only "safe haven" to things changing makes it plain as day.

    I was contemplating this being a troll attempt, but I'm reminded of poe's law here.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by psychodad View Post
    Blizzard is lucky anyone is left playing this game.
    As others have mentioned before, go play another MMO. I'm sure the other games will be lucky to have you.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by psychodad View Post
    Your premise is wrong. The game was never "not welcoming" to new players in the first place. The number one thing turning players away from the game is probably the subscription cost. Let's see if Blizzard are serious about welcoming new players and remove that cost.
    I prefer to play the game with the subscription cost because the alternative of increased microtransactions is far worse.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalrus2010 View Post
    If all you do is level characters, that's not what an altcoholic is lol. .
    1. Yes, it is. Altoholic is just someone who plays a lot of alts.

    2. I never said all I do is level them, I said that

    at max level, I often do not do much with them

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by psychodad View Post
    You guys are all robots. The things you write I have seen over and over again, for the last decade. It's like you get all schooled in parroting the same lines.

    Blizzard not only reads these forums, there are official Blizzard accounts here.
    Name checks out I guess. Why are you still on a fan forum of a game you despise, talking to "robots" you despise? Surely someone as smart as you has more interesting and efficient things to do.

  6. #66
    There is really truly way, way, too much complaining nowadays about wow. Literally every single daily update gets threads of people enraged, even over innocuous things and small changes. Kind of like the girl that cried wolf, if the community complains over literally every single change whether it's a valid thing to complain about or not, it dilutes legitimate feedback and player concerns that get drowned out in the whining noise. That needs to be cranked down a notch or 3.

    The reasons for the level squish are real, legitimate, and not just needed but overdue. A new or even returning player to wow in 8.3 had to level through 120 levels including the base game and 7 expansions to get to end game and play with their friends. That's not a good model.

    Even for existing players, when you've done most of what you want to do at end-game there are alts. Heirlooms speed things up, but the same 120 levels and 7 expansions plus the base content to level every single alt through is not a very good model either. Especially when most active players I talk to have anywhere from 5-20 alts.

    Plus, the squish was baked into Shadowlands development for the past 2 years. Complaining about that on patch implementation day is way too late to be constructive. If it were going to be the disaster the OP is claiming, that change would have been nixed long before going live today.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    As others have mentioned before, go play another MMO.
    I play tons of different MMOs, what's your point?

    I do what I want and you have no argument to make against my post, so leave.

  8. #68
    The Patient Frinata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by psychodad View Post
    I don't anymore. That's the point. I'm an altoholic. I like to level characters and at max level, I often do not do much with them, exactly because gear will be invalidated with the next patch anyway. In the same way they take our borrowed powers away with every expansion. Level has been immune to that until now. At least levels were something that would stay that way forever. That's over now.
    In a previous post, you alluded to The Cataclysm Pre-Patch, and the assumption that others feel like you do, and don't understand what it is they were giving up with it, as if we the players had a choice in the major gameplay changes that the Devs bring in. I won't challenge that thought, but I will bring up something you either missed back then, or have opted to not mention.

    Blizzard started the adoption of "End Game matters most" take that they have to this day, at the start of the Cataclysm expansion. They wanted leveling to become a shorter affair, and thus, lessened the ammount of EXP you need to get to 80, and instead of making the new level cap 90, they made it 85, to double down on the notion. It was a failed attempt, and that's why only Pandaria followed suit, to even out the leveling structure.

    Blizzard has always moved forward with the idea of end game matters most. And in that thought process, they want people to get to end game as fast as possible. What this means, in lament terms, is that getting to level 120, or 130 for Shadowlands if they didn't squish, would seem like a daunting task for a new player, and they might (Wrongfully) get the wrong impression that leveling takes forever. Then you also have to consider that, in upholdance with this design philosophy, they would have to nerf leveling even further, and leveling gets faster and faster, and the ladder seems higher and higher.

    The point that I'm trying to get across here, is that the level squish was nessecary to make the game more accessible for all involved. I'm an Altoholic as well, I quite frequently hit the character limit cap, you're not alone in that. But even I enjoy the idea of the squish, and look forward to leveling more in the new system.

    Awesome Sig/Avatar by the lovely Rivellana

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by TickTickTick View Post
    Name checks out I guess. Why are you still on a fan forum of a game you despise, talking to "robots" you despise? Surely someone as smart as you has more interesting and efficient things to do.
    Strawman I don't despise it. Why are you still here strawmanning me?

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by psychodad View Post
    You guys are all robots. The things you write I have seen over and over again, for the last decade. It's like you get all schooled in parroting the same lines.

    Blizzard not only reads these forums, there are official Blizzard accounts here.
    Ah yes, if only we could ascend to the higher level of understanding you've achieved by sharing with us your super unique opinion that something Blizzard did will destroy the game forever...

  11. #71
    This post demonstrates why Kirk was able to beat Khan in the Mutara Nebula.

    I had the same argument with my brother about the level squish, he was bemoaning all the "effort" put in, when its just numbers and perception, a week or two from now, people won't even notice.

    Nothing wrong with scaling PAST expansions to keep them relevant. I for one am looking forward to being able to use TBC or Wrath to completely level instead of it being a whirlwind tour.

    The good news is that people that don't like it have options. Blizzard isn't forcing you to play.
    Do I really look like a guy with a plan?

  12. #72
    Honestly I don't wanna be level 200 in 6 years.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by psychodad View Post
    I play tons of different MMOs, what's your point?

    I do what I want and you have no argument to make against my post, so leave.
    More like you don't accept any reasonable argument, lol.
    Free speech goes both ways. You are free to dislike something, but we are also free to call you out on your nonsense.

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by psychodad View Post
    You'll all see.
    Evidence, other than opinion.
    You still haven't provided anything non-anecdotal.
    You having an opinion does not make it fact.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by psychodad View Post
    Your premise is wrong. The game was never "not welcoming" to new players in the first place. The number one thing turning players away from the game is probably the subscription cost. Let's see if Blizzard are serious about welcoming new players and remove that cost.
    Your premise is wrong. A max level of 120 from the original level 60 is a deterrent right there. It gives the illusion that a new player is extremely far behind. Making it 60 again is a much more tangible number and give the impression that catching up is a realistic goal.

    Silly, human.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by psychodad View Post
    1. Yes, it is. Altoholic is just someone who plays a lot of alts.

    2. I never said all I do is level them, I said that
    1. That would require you actually playing somewhat after leveling. More than "I often do not do much with them"

    2. I'm sorry that I read between the lines given your stance on things. Do you do a dungeon with them every Friday or something? That's a lot of work man. Better slow down. They change every major patch too! OMG!

  17. #77
    It was a great step toward making leveling more fun because right now i can easily experience whole expansion without out leveling some part of it. It is good enough for both new players and veterans imo.

    Also it is necessary to make leveling faster, otherwise new players would be frustrated due to long journey to high end contents and after reaching it they are already behind the current raid and it is quite hard to find a good decent group to do previous raids. So, simply it would be some how impossible to join community in middle of expansions if one has no friend to get some boost.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by psychodad View Post
    I don't anymore. That's the point. I'm an altoholic. I like to level characters and at max level, I often do not do much with them, exactly because gear will be invalidated with the next patch anyway. In the same way they take our borrowed powers away with every expansion. Level has been immune to that until now. At least levels were something that would stay that way forever. That's over now.
    "If the gear doesn't last FOREVER, it's a waste of time"

    Do you upgrade your alt's gear as you level them? Even though that gear will be invalidated in a few hours once you level up anyway?

    Imagine tying your self-happiness to some delusion of "permanence" in arbitrary numbers in a virtual game.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by psychodad View Post
    Strawman I don't despise it. Why are you still here strawmanning me?
    Because your assertions are so absurd and barely worthy of ridicule, yet you defend them as if you're the last sane person on the planet.

    One of those nut jobs hold up "REPENT NOW, THE RAPTURE COMES AT 5:35pm TONIGHT"

    Get off it man, no one is buying your nonsense. Go complain on twitter.

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by psychodad View Post
    You can mock this post all you want, but in a few years, people will look back at what put the final nail in the coffin of WoW, and it will be this patch.
    So should we put "9.0 pre-patch" on the tombstone meme imagine of everything that has "killed" WoW?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Still here and still posting

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •