Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    My point is that they’ve added mounts with unique functionality before, admitted it was a mistake... then added another mount with unique functionality. It’s too good a gimmick, they’re not gonna stop.
    But that specific functionality is why they took it out. I don't doubt that they'll add some new mount with some new functionality in the future eventually. But the AH vendor is the reason the brutosaur was removed.

They haven't since added back in reforge vendors on different mounts... and again, they didn't take out the reforge vendor because they realized it being on a mount denigrated the game; they simply axed the whole system. If reforging was still a thing, that vendor would still be a reforge vendor, and I highly doubt they would have removed the yak like they did the brutosaur. Just as they haven't since added back in another obligate water-walking mount after removing the functionality for the strider; they merely made it so players can have that functionality on all mounts.

For your analogy to be true to apply to what actually happened with the brutosaur, there would have to be an example of them discontinuing a mount that functionally did something special (something they've never done before the brutosaur) and then adding another mount that just did that same thing again. Which, like I said, they've never done.

For your analogy to be true to apply to what happened with the water strider and yak, the brutosaur would have to have had its AH vendor removed, which did not happen and then, to play into the "greed" angle you're also harping on, have that functionality instead be added to some shop mount... which didn't happen to the water strider and yak.

So top-down, not seeing any real similarities there.

Quote Originally Posted by Synical123 View Post
    Not saying it is the reason for this decision, but let's not act like we know why they did/didn't do this lol.
    Buying 5 million gold's worth of WoW tokens is like dropping almost a grand in real life. Of the people that even wanted the Brutosaur in the first place (probably a small amount already) there's an even smaller subset of people that are willing to spend that kind of money on it. In fact, even getting 1 million gold is already dropping about 200 bucks; being even close enough to buying the mount before dropping considerable money into WoW tokens is something that took a fair bit of farming dedication to begin with, which is beyond what most people play the game to do.

If Blizzard was planning on removing the Brutosaur with the hope of driving a sudden influx of wow token sales, I highly doubt that strategy net them all that much money in the grand scheme of things.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2020-10-16 at 10:27 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    But that specific functionality is why they took it out. I don't doubt that they'll add some new mount with some new functionality in the future eventually. But the AH vendor is the reason the brutosaur was removed.

They haven't since added back in reforge vendors on different mounts... and again, they didn't take out the reforge vendor because they realized it being on a mount denigrated the game; they simply axed the whole system. If reforging was still a thing, that vendor would still be a reforge vendor, and I highly doubt they would have removed the yak like they did the brutosaur. Just as they haven't since added back in another obligate water-walking mount after removing the functionality for the strider; they merely made it so players can have that functionality on all mounts.

For your analogy to be true to apply to what actually happened with the brutosaur, there would have to be an example of them discontinuing a mount that functionally did something special (something they've never done before the brutosaur) and then adding another mount that just did that same thing again. Which, like I said, they've never done.

For your analogy to be true to apply to what happened with the water strider and yak, the brutosaur would have to have had its AH vendor removed, which did not happen and then, to play into the "greed" angle you're also harping on, have that functionality instead be added to some shop mount... which didn't happen to the water strider and yak.

So top-down, not seeing any real similarities there.

- - - Updated - - -

Buying 5 million gold's worth of WoW tokens is like dropping almost a grand in real life. Most people aren't going to do that.
    Most people also don’t multibox but I would bet my bottom dollar they only made the decision to allow it because $$$$

I bought it last week, even though I could have bought it day one of the expansion, and I've yet to even use the AH npc lol.

OP tried to troll, got trolled harder.
    Be feared, or be fuel

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synical123 View Post
    Most people also don’t multibox but I would bet my bottom dollar they only made the decision to allow it because $$$$
    That's because a steady income of 15 additional dollars a month is far more lucrative to them than betting on a subset of the already small number of people that want the brutosaur but don't have it being willing so spend not-insignificant amounts of real-life dollars on it in a one-time transaction.

I think multiboxing IS actually highly detrimental to the game and the economy, and I believe that indeed Blizzard does allow it because it pulls in money for them. I believe any legitimacy it has from the outset is highly tenuous, let alone the non-TOS related negative affects it has on the game.

But I don't believe the Brutosaur was driven by that. I think it was far more likely that they realized they fucked up, especially considering they effectively had to change the way the WoW AH functioned precisely because of it, and so sought to remove its "easy" accessibility, rather than pissing off the people that had bought it for that express AH purpose. Personally I got it because I like dinosaurs. But there's no accounting for taste, I suppose.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Not sure how this is still going on, but the mount is going onto the BMAH.

Do tell, when have they taken a rare mount from the BMAH, and added it onto the cash shop...? I'll wait. Maybe they'll give the Swift Zulian Tiger the same treatment, which was "promised" by a thread such as this one back when it was removed too.

And those who got it prior to its removal, were not lucky. It's a mount bought from a vendor at a fixed price. They either worked to collect the gold, or paid through the nose in real money. Either way, they didn't do nothing and thus miss out despite the ample warning given for its removal.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2020-10-16 at 10:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    I said modest but clear. Couple of minutes each raid multiplied by months of raiding it can be a lot of time wasted. People care even if they lose 1 position in ranks.
    Umm...you bring the stuff before the raid begins???

Am I the only one using mobile Mailbox from garrison combined with an AH twink?

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    Blizz was very open from when it was first in the game that like the spider mount it's a gold sink designed to take gold out of the game. Being 5M gold, it did need to be a bit more than just a regular mount or recolor. There are plenty of other mounts and various ways even without mounts to access repair/bank/mailbox/etc. remotely.

Heck if you do/did the Argent Tourney enough it would add mailbox/bank/etc. functionality to the Argent Summoner (non-combat) pet, for just one example. I use him even now. It's like a 4hr cooldown but there are so many places to do those common things in-game that it rarely comes up. But it's nice sometimes to be able to access my bank or mail in an instance once in a while. Tol Barad has a tabard that you can unlock that you can use to teleport there, and it puts you 5ft from the portal to Org/Stormwind. So it's basically a free extra 30 min hearthstone to your capital city. Look around and you'll find a lot of stuff like that.

People are throwing around the words "modest benefit" and "minor benefit" when they should really be using negligible benefit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Given that there have been singular drop-chance specific items going for millions of gold it should be evident that that is bullshit. ^^
    It doesn't need to have anything to do with it, but luck can and often does come into play very clearly.

People always want to believe their "achievement" has nothing to do with luck so as to not detract from their own part in its occurence, but in practice that's rarely true.
    And such people will attempt to distort heaven and earth to obscure the truth from themselves and others.
    Lol ok and how many of those items dropped ever? 2 ?

2 out of 100000 dinos; are you making your argument on that?
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Raid preparation, saving time travelling while preparing?
    I agree it's a stretch that it'd be a decisive benefit for competition, but you'd have to be blind or intentionally not looking to not see its benefit.
    I mean for crying out loud there's a reason people were not only willing but hurrying to fork over 5 million gold for it.
    And it's not raid preparation, that much i can tell you. Time spent traveling to, from and browsing the AH is a miniscule fraction of raid preparation time.

Quote Originally Posted by Marakara View Post
    People are throwing around the words "modest benefit" and "minor benefit" when they should really be using negligible benefit.
    Actually its even negative, because more players come to raid unprepared because "nah, there are AH mount in the raid, can buy it right in the raid" - "So, are you ready to pull?" - "Nopenopenope! Can you pls summon AH I forgot to buy flask!" - "Can we pull now?" - "Ops, I forgot to buy potions! Can you put longboi?" - ...
    Last edited by iinverse; 2020-10-18 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    I heard that conspiracy theory (it's the most popular one) but I tend to think that even if it's true they probably realized they messed up.

If they remove all need to go to towns the MMO becomes even more single-player and I suspect they felt that item leads to that.

As a result I conclude that they will not bring another (*unlimited charges) mobile AH but they will also nerf the longboi.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a non sequitur. That still takes time that could be put to progress. Some people have lives outside WoW too.
    They won't add another but they absolutely won't nerf the current. People who save up 5 million gold are not a group you want to alienate because they are consistent consumers also a not insignificant number of people probably bought tokens to finish off the grind.