Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Music department did NOT hit it out of the park (Login screen)

Anyone else extremely disappointed with the Login Screen music?

One of my favorite parts of new expansions is turning the game on for the first time, sitting back and just... enjoying the login screen music. It sets the mood for the entire expac, and transitions into core racial themes or city themes, and I've always loved it... until now.

I login, and you can barely hear anything. I've already logged in, clicked my character, and appear ingame before WoW's iconic theme even gets a chance to play. And by the time it actually starts, it's just so... generic.

• WotLK was the first real departure from the classic login theme and started slow... but about 20 seconds later went straight into it's own uplifting, thumping, classic WOW login screen music. At least you had Sindragosa's roar to keep you occupied while it built up.
    • Cata departed significantly from the classic theme, but was thematic for what was happening.
    • MoP had it's own Asian twist, but the iconic music still began playing after 20 seconds.
    • WoD had a fantastic "savage" twist on the classic theme music, and went straight to the "Iron Horde" theme music and I loved just sitting back and enjoying it.
    • Legion also had a forboding twist and then went to it's own rendition of the classic login theme, before moving on to Anduin's Theme which was AMAZING (I think it's called Anduin's Theme. It's THIS one and it's absolutely glorious) before moving on to the Nightborne theme (which i also loved)
    • BFA added it's own twist to the login screen music before going full on into Anduin's theme, and went on to the Zuldazar city music.
    • Shad, though?

The iconic opening music just doesn't get a chance to kick in before you're already ingame. Every time I log in, I just hear feint background chorus as I login, pick my character, and load in. I never get to hear the latest thematic version of the iconic WoW opening score. And when I just sit back and let it play in it's entirety, it's just... whelming. Nothing I haven't heard before. No original, distinctive track. Just "tick the box" generic stuff.

And it's not a 9.0 thing. This is it for the entire expansion; A feint background "aaaaaaw" while you log in. That's it.

The login music is iconic, and I always enjoy hearing the latest remix every time I log in, and the login screen music is always deliberately designed around that because you'll be hearing those first 20 seconds e.v.e.r.y single time you login in, so those 20 seconds have to be amazing.

But Shadowlands never gets a chance, because it doesn't even start properly until 30 seconds later, which means you'll never hear it.

And that's sad.

Haven’t heard it yet, but I thought I saw a lot of people praising the artwork and music so far for Shadowlands

Huh? I love new login music. Are we going to argue that orange is better color than pink next? It's so subjective...

Quote Originally Posted by thottstation View Post
    Anyone else extremely disappointed with the Login Screen music?

One of my favorite parts of new expansions is turning the game on for the first time, sitting back and just... enjoying the login screen music. It sets the mood for the entire expac, and transitions into core racial themes or city themes, and I've always loved it... until now.

I login, and you can barely hear anything. I've already logged in, clicked my character, and appear ingame before WoW's iconic theme even gets a chance to play. And by the time it actually starts, it's just so... generic.

• WotLK was the first real departure from the classic login theme and started slow... but about 20 seconds later went straight into it's own uplifting, thumping, classic WOW login screen music. At least you had Sindragosa's roar to keep you occupied while it built up.
    • Cata departed significantly from the classic theme, but was thematic for what was happening.
    • MoP had it's own Asian twist, but the iconic music still began playing after 20 seconds.
    • WoD had a fantastic "savage" twist on the classic theme music, and went straight to the "Iron Horde" theme music and I loved just sitting back and enjoying it.
    • Legion also had a forboding twist and then went to it's own rendition of the classic login theme, before moving on to Anduin's Theme which was AMAZING (I think it's called Anduin's Theme. It's THIS one and it's absolutely glorious) before moving on to the Nightborne theme (which i also loved)
    • BFA added it's own twist to the login screen music before going full on into Anduin's theme, and went on to the Zuldazar city music.
    • Shad, though?

The iconic opening music just doesn't get a chance to kick in before you're already ingame. Every time I log in, I just hear feint background chorus as I login, pick my character, and load in. I never get to hear the latest thematic version of the iconic WoW opening score. And when I just sit back and let it play in it's entirety, it's just... whelming. Nothing I haven't heard before. No original, distinctive track. Just "tick the box" generic stuff.

And it's not a 9.0 thing. This is it for the entire expansion; A feint background "aaaaaaw" while you log in. That's it.

The login music is iconic, and I always enjoy hearing the latest remix every time I log in, and the login screen music is always deliberately designed around that because you'll be hearing those first 20 seconds e.v.e.r.y single time you login in, so those 20 seconds have to be amazing.

But Shadowlands never gets a chance, because it doesn't even start properly until 30 seconds later, which means you'll never hear it.

And that's sad.
    I kind of agree, but i've only listened to the music externally and haven't had the chance to experience it in game yet.
    I hope that having it with the full experience will make things better, but we'll see i suppose.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

I'm at the point where my music is just off regardless when I log into the game. I've heard WoW's motif a million times, and I was never really expecting to be like... blown away by the new one.

I did listen to it a few times, though, and personally, I enjoyed it. It's definitely Shadowlands-y and mystical-sounding. They did a good job, if you ask me, though I understand where you're coming from on how long it takes for the motif to drop.

I don't know what you've been listening to, because it's not faint at all. And it fits perfectly because it's the same chanting you hear from the spirit healers when you are dead. We're going into the realm of the dead, so it makes sense to have a ghost-y type of music.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a matter of opinion. You clearly don't like it. Some of us do :-)

I really like and I have not enjoyed a login screen soundtrack for years (not just BFA's). Its up to your personal taste, really. As others have already written.
    Take life with a grain of salt..... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila.

3+ Year Old Account
    The login music starts too slow, you barely have the time to start hearing the intro during normal login flow from the launcher before you get to char selection.

You have to go out of your way to listen to it. Which also raises the question of why do they even bother making such long login screen music when you only hear the first 10 seconds most of the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tamarin View Post
    Which also raises the question of why do they even bother making such long login screen music when you only hear the first 10 seconds most of the time.
    Some people spend time in character creation.

Login screen usually had some sort of "ding" sound, but I can barely hear anything on the new one. They've changed Cata login screen once though, maybe they will change this one if the feedback is negative.

Funny how you recognize the "anduin music" and Zuldazar in BfA but not the Saurfang/Horde one
    Anyways, I haven't felt like the music has been any special ever since Legion, WoD for me was the peak, it has it all, savage, serene, epic and more. Most of them for me are VERY memorable.
    There's also a part in the Shadowlands intro that I don't like, where the music just sounds incredibly off, it's around the beginning. It still catches me off-guard, in a not so good way.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's been a while since generic and cacophonic orchestra sadly made its place into a portion of wow's music.
    I miss a bit new real video game music, but I'm satisfied already with what's already done

Taking about 30 seconds for the iconic blast to kick in is indeed a bit too long, especially with most people loading quite fast nowadays. Taking plenty of time listening to it while browsing options when creating a character, however.

It's deep, mysterious, and epic and I love it.

I wasn't really into the BfA one, the main theme sounded too "muddy", but it had great tracks mixed in few minutes later. And the one I definitely did not like was the MoP, along with the rest of its pseudo-Chinese soundtrack.
    Last edited by Trumpcat; 2020-10-14 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thottstation View Post
    [Redacted Deafness]
    Yes, they did

It's one of my favorites ^^ To each their own I guess.

I agree.

BFA was the first time I was really disappointed by the login screen music. It contained good pieces but the transition between them felt amateurish and just jarring sometimes.

Shadowlands maybe feels better regarding the transitions but the pieces themselves are weak and bland imo, nothing amazing nor iconic.

At least BFA had amazing music overall in it's expansion. I have yet to hear anything great from Shadowlands so I am a little concerned that it may be the first time I don't enjoy the music in an expansion, but I will wait for expansion release before I make any concrete judgements as I may have missed out on the good stuff.

ITT, at least imo, people looking to complain about everything possible because they can't be happy about anything.
    Till water is gone, Till shade is gone. Into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath. To spit in Sightblinders eye on the last day.

I disagree.

I think they used older themes perfectly. The blend of both Vanilla and WotLK mixed with something new doesn't show lack of creativity; it's the theme for our planet and Icecrown, but it blends together with more vague new themes. We're not in the Shadowlands, nor just in Icecrown - the two merge together. I also think they found a great balance between being bombastic and keeping it more mystical. Death is huge, yet so mysterious, and for an opening it's great, because we DON'T know what's next or how it works, only that it's there.

Feel mixed about the inclusion of electric guitars though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Why yes, Blizz sure is a bunch of happy fellas!

10+ Year Old Account
    I still liked it and we're only getting a small portion of Shadowlands related music and I noticed who the OP is...surprise surprise.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi